|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Titleist DCI vs. Mizuno

I have had my DCI's for about ten years. I figure that something better is probably out there. (Hit my 5 iron - 180, 7 iron - 155, 9 iron -125)

Seems like Mizuno's are very popular now.

1) Does anyone have any personal experience with both clubs and can offer a comparison?

2) Mizuno fans - weigh in here and give me a summary of their product line and what you like and don't like about them.

Thanks for the help....

Bravo

I went from DCI 962's to Mizuno Trues (forged blades) to DCI 762's...I liked the Mizunos but my game was not up to them...the DCI's are a more forgiving club...they suit my game
    ...now, my son plays the Mizuno MP-33's and he's a ballstriker..he kills them and hits
    them high...he's probably about a 110 on swing speed....I tried them but, again, I don't have the skill level...for you, it depends where you're at in your development...are you ready for the MP-33/37?...really, you'll get improvement from either of the two that
    you select...

why do you feel that you don't have the skill level? What's your handicap/swing speed?

I play MX-20s and my backup set is a DCI 981. I have Rifle 6.0s on both. Distance-wise I'd say it's about the same. The obvious first difference is that the Mizunos feel much better at impact 'cos it's forged. The mizunos are a little more playable. I know this 'cos I can't bend my patented hooded middle-iron punch hook nearly as much with the Mizunos as I can with the 981s. The offset on my 981s are substantially more pronounced than the Mizunos. Takes awhile to get used to how the clubs look at address.

Grazo:

I play to about a 9 hdcp...my swing speed is probably 90 - 95 mph...the MP-33's are
    the favorite of tour players that are under Mizuno contract....I just didn't have the consistency of swing to hit that small sweet spot...the 962/762 head is a bit larger and the cavity allows some foregiveness....you really need good mechanics to get the most out of the Mizunos...not that you can't play them...you could....It wouldn't be a good
    fit for me tho'...

Quote Originally Posted by grazo
    why do you feel that you don't have the skill level? What's your handicap/swing speed?
    Fair question. I have an index of 9.6 and a speed of about 95. I shoot "somewhere in the 80's".

I am not consistent at all. I play a fairly tough course - 72.7/136 but I exasperate myself. Can make hard holes look easy and humiliate myself on easy holes. I've played 39 years and just cannot get myself to hit ANY club consistently.

Not a bad golfer just frigging nutz. I need game improvement clubs. Blades are OUT for an idiot like myself.

BTW - I hit a very very high ball. Steep angle of attack. While I have no problems with balls holding the green, I could hit them farther if I could get a lower ball flight.

Facinating

Quote Originally Posted by LBCGolf
    I play MX-20s and my backup set is a DCI 981. I have Rifle 6.0s on both. Distance-wise I'd say it's about the same. The obvious first difference is that the Mizunos feel much better at impact 'cos it's forged. The mizunos are a little more playable. I know this 'cos I can't bend my patented hooded middle-iron punch hook nearly as much with the Mizunos as I can with the 981s. The offset on my 981s are substantially more pronounced than the Mizunos. Takes awhile to get used to how the clubs look at address.
    Questions:

1) You kept the DCI's despite acquiring the Mizunos. Under what circumstances do you go back to the DCI's?

2) Which clubs hit the ball lower? I hit the ball very high - so much that I could hit it 20% lower, get more distance and still hold the greens...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bgathens
    Grazo:

I play to about a 9 hdcp...my swing speed is probably 90 - 95 mph...the MP-33's are
    the favorite of tour players that are under Mizuno contract....I just didn't have the consistency of swing to hit that small sweet spot...the 962/762 head is a bit larger and the cavity allows some foregiveness....you really need good mechanics to get the most out of the Mizunos...not that you can't play them...you could....It wouldn't be a good
    fit for me tho'...

Your game sounds much like mine - handicap and swing speed. Sounds like the Mizuno's may not be a good choice for me.

remember that we're talking about mizuno blades here - mizuno also makes a series of forged cavities (MX-20/23) with more offset and forgiveness

Quote Originally Posted by grazo
    remember that we're talking about mizuno blades here - mizuno also makes a series of forged cavities (MX-20/23) with more offset and forgiveness

Thanks. I will not delude myself into thinking I can hit a blade.

Who can tell me about the forged cavities? My fault for not limiting the discussion to these clubs in the first place...

Bravo:

Not necessarily....I feel that my age and physical limitations have put me to my potential...in other words, I'm not gonna get any better..if I'm destined to play blades, I probably would have been playing them already....now, you may be rising to your potential...blades may be good for you...they will reveal glitches in your mechanics, offset will mask these...maybe you can make the changes that blades will force you to make..in other words, you can "play" into them...that's what I tried with the Trues and it just didn't work...I was miserable with the long irons...depending on your aspirations, blades may aid your game...

Quote Originally Posted by bgathens
    Bravo:

Not necessarily....I feel that my age and physical limitations have put me to my potential...in other words, I'm not gonna get any better..if I'm destined to play blades, I probably would have been playing them already....now, you may be rising to your potential...blades may be good for you...they will reveal glitches in your mechanics, offset will mask these...maybe you can make the changes that blades will force you to make..in other words, you can "play" into them...that's what I tried with the Trues and it just didn't work...I was miserable with the long irons...depending on your aspirations, blades may aid your game...
    OK - but how do I try this? I've played a long time and lessons recently have helped a bunch. But this is a result of hiting quite a few balls on range, playing once a week, more practice etc.

I would consider trying the blades but I feel I would have to work with them over a period of months to see if they were right for me. Not selling myself short here but trying to be realistic.

you sound exactly like I did about a month ago when I went to a Mizuno demo day looking to try the MX series. I am an 11 handicapper (play to about 14) and want to get new irons with less offset because I feel like I have outgrown my current set, which I have had for 3 years and was a high 20s handicapper when I bought them...

Anyway, went to try the MX and they were OK - While I was there I thought I would try the MP-33 just for fun and they were fantastic - I hit them really well and they felt unbelievably good. I even hit the 3 iron really well (which was the sealer for me). These clubs are more forgiving than you might think. Long story short - don't dismiss them until you hit them. If you're going to a mizuno demo day, at least try them...

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    Questions:

1) You kept the DCI's despite acquiring the Mizunos. Under what circumstances do you go back to the DCI's?

2) Which clubs hit the ball lower? I hit the ball very high - so much that I could hit it 20% lower, get more distance and still hold the greens...

Thanks
    I can't be a true 'ho if I didn't have at least 2 sets, no? Montagle has a whole garage-full of iron sets. I use it for travel, visiting friends who didn't come with their own sticks use them and sometimes I break 'em out just for the heck of it, no reason. I like the Mizunos much better despite the fact that I can't work the ball with them as well as the 981s.

The 981s hit lower but just by a smidge.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCGolf
    I can't be a true 'ho if I didn't have at least 2 sets, no? Montagle has a whole garage-full of iron sets. I use it for travel, visiting friends who didn't come with their own sticks use them and sometimes I break 'em out just for the heck of it, no reason. I like the Mizunos much better despite the fact that I can't work the ball with them as well as the 981s.

The 981s hit lower but just by a smidge.
    I'll try the MX-20's in the next month or so. Looks like a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    I'll try the MX-20's in the next month or so. Looks like a possibility.

Anyone play MacGregor? Look into it!

Want to try some real blades? Try some old Wilson Staff's from the 60's or the 70's. Matter of fact there a ton of good reviews right here on this site for the Wilson's. Good luck and don't believe all the marketing hype you might hear.

I'm a longtime fan of Mizuno irons, but I've played many other brands as well. Of the Mizunos blades, I've played the MP-29s, MP-14s (3 sets - different shafts), MP-33s, and the Pro-IIs. Haven't tried the MP-37s yet. Of these, the Pro-IIs I liked the least by far - feel wasn't nearly as good as the others. I think the MP-14s are really hard to beat if you want a blade. The 33s tend to balloon the ball up too much for me, and the 29s blade length is a little longer than what I like. With the 14s, I've always had the lofts set to what the 37s loft are (about time Mizuno did that!!), and they are wicked, and they are SO solid feeling. One thing to watch with Mizuno irons is that their lie angles are the flattest in the industry, so most people need to get them bent more upright, or the toe will dig into the ground. I have a set of 14s I'm getting ready to put on ebay - 3-PW, 8/10 condition, +1/4" in length, DG S-300s, and they have the same lie angles as a PING green dot (2* up). If anybody is interested, I'm planning to sell them for $290. Recently I've been playing a set of Titleist 680 blades that I reshafted with Dynalite Gold S-200s, and I'd say they are the equivalent of the MP-14s in all respects. Really good sticks.

I'm at 10.2 index with about a 95mph too.
    I Have a set of Mizuno True's. Bought a set of Callaway x-14 pro's to give them a try - 6 months later I'm back with the True's despite great distance and forgiveness in the Callaways. The True's just felt so much better and I enjoy the extra control. Callaways were much appreciated in the 3-6 irons though.

One thing I would say is that the True's don't feel heavy enough in the club head for me and the callaways were too heavy. The new Mizuno models feel better balanced and I'm going to try the Mizuno MP-30's (hit the 6 iron a few times) which felt great and had a nice ball flight - could this model work for you? Not a blade but not still great feel and a lot more MP-33 like in setup than the MX series.

Another option to consider when picking irons is to go for the less "game improvement" irons and then replace the 3 iron with a 7 wood. - works a treat and allows me to enjoy those sweet shots in the short irons without too much worry when I'm further out. This is what I carry with the True's in my bag.

I agree with some of the above posts, don't discount the blades until you hit them. You never know, you may find them easier to control, and they will definately feel 10x better.
    I bought the MP-37's in January and I'm around a 9 hcp. also. I believe these clubs helped me work more on my swing since crappy shots aren't helped at all with an "improvement" club. The control is awesome with blades, with the right setup, it's not difficult to hit fades, draws, knockdowns. Feel is super sweet. I demo'd the MX-23 along with the 37's before I bought them and the 23's are just as sweet, just a larger club head and a tiny bit of forgiveness.

Thanks for the input

I will give the Mizuno blade models and try over the next few weeks and let you know how I like them.

thanks for all the input.

Bravo

Thread Information