|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

putter grip size...

Will changing from an oversize to regular size putter grip affect any aspects of putting at all, or is it simply a matter of comfort. Thanks.

It may effect your "hinging" of the wrists if you do in fact break down. I think once you're comfortable with ANY grip on a putter it won't matter but switching could take awhile to get used to. I switch to a putter grip with more cushion and it felt very alien to me for 3 rounds or so. I can't remember it feeling any different any longer.
    Last edited by neverman; 05-14-2006 at 12:23 AM.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Comfort will effect your putting, because you have to be extremely comfortable to have confidence in maling a putt. I prefer the thicker grips because I am more comfortable with them
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by dumper
    Will changing from an oversize to regular size putter grip affect any aspects of putting at all, or is it simply a matter of comfort. Thanks.
    Just as finding the right grip size for your irons and drivers, the same principle applies: the smaller grips will promote holding the putter in the fingers to help release the putterhead if you have a swingpath moving in an arc. The straight back and straight through, larger grips are usually preferred to keep the fingers and wrist locked to restrict the release.

I recently forgot my putter at home when I went to play a round with a buddy. I used my friends putter which has a skinny and more circular grip on it than mine. Mine has a thick soft grip (it's the Odyssey grip that comes on the White Steel line of putters). I putted like hell that day. I played the same course the next day, a course I play often, with my putter and was much better. Putted around 26 putts as compared to the previous day of several 3putts (probably in the high 30's in putts!). Fact is, I could probably get used to the skinnier grip, but there's no reason to do so. I putt well with the size of grip I use so I won't be changing anytime soon.
    I personally was a lot more handsy with the smaller grip, which we all know is terrible for consistant putting.

I am using a center-shafted putter...

straight back and thru swing path (I hope), so it sounds like a larger grip would be preferred in this setup. Thanks.

Over the course of the last year, I tried a number of different larger grips. 5 to be exact. I use midsized grips with my regular clubs, and being able to have my hands straighter on the putter was my reasoning. Personally, my putting suffered with every larger grip that I tried. I eventually went back to the standard grip. Grips are only about $5, so it may be worth trying out a few, but for me the standard grip seems to be the one that best suits me. I also feel that the larger grip seems to create a different counter balance on the putter, or at least it felt that way to me. I seemed to loose the feel of the putter head, which made me loose a great deal of consistency on distance and speed. They do seem to allow you to more easily "Hinge" your wrist, the loss in feel outweighed the more suitable wrist hinge. They will also wear alot faster putting them in and taking them out of most standard seperators on a golf bag. I wore out one of the Winn Grips in 3 months, so you may consider the softness of the grip for that reason. It would just tear it up taking it out of my bag, probably due to me walking away as I pulled the putter out. So if you get a soft one, get used to pulling it straight out.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk
    Over the course of the last year, I tried a number of different larger grips. 5 to be exact. I use midsized grips with my regular clubs, and being able to have my hands straighter on the putter was my reasoning. Personally, my putting suffered with every larger grip that I tried. I eventually went back to the standard grip. Grips are only about $5, so it may be worth trying out a few, but for me the standard grip seems to be the one that best suits me. I also feel that the larger grip seems to create a different counter balance on the putter, or at least it felt that way to me. I seemed to loose the feel of the putter head, which made me loose a great deal of consistency on distance and speed. They do seem to allow you to more easily "Hinge" your wrist, the loss in feel outweighed the more suitable wrist hinge. They will also wear alot faster putting them in and taking them out of most standard seperators on a golf bag. I wore out one of the Winn Grips in 3 months, so you may consider the softness of the grip for that reason. It would just tear it up taking it out of my bag, probably due to me walking away as I pulled the putter out. So if you get a soft one, get used to pulling it straight out.
    Hey PA, if you want the ultimate grip, check out the Gripmaster Leather grips. Either in Pistol putter for superior Pro Tack (tackiness gets better as it ages), or the one-piece stitch back. I really liked the one-piece stitch back, but wanted something tackier. You can probably ask the Gripmasterusa.com to customize the amount of tack you prefer.

These grips are made of high quality Australian cow leather and are fast becoming the preferred grips on the Tour. They are slightly thicker by the original Pingman grips by Golf Pride, but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by honorerdieu
    Hey PA, if you want the ultimate grip, check out the Gripmaster Leather grips. Either in Pistol putter for superior Pro Tack (tackiness gets better as it ages), or the one-piece stitch back. I really liked the one-piece stitch back, but wanted something tackier. You can probably ask the Gripmasterusa.com to customize the amount of tack you prefer.

These grips are made of high quality Australian cow leather and are fast becoming the preferred grips on the Tour. They are slightly thicker by the original Pingman grips by Golf Pride, but not by much.
    Thanks for the info, but I think I am done playing around with the grip. Putting is probably the best part of my game. At one point about 3 years ago I was averaging 25-26 putts a round and my handicap was a 15. Probably in large part to the greens in my old area were much easier. I got up to about 32 after moving up here and after having cut 1 3/4 inches off my 35" putter because it would get caught up in my shirt or wind shirt and cost me strokes. I decided to start playing around with the grip, and weighting at the top of the shaft to try and properly counter balance the putter. My handicap was about 21-22. Well, over the course of messing around with the grip and the weighting my putting went all the way up to about 38-39 for a the most part, my handicap went up to about 25, and I seemed to lose a great deal of feel in the putter and mainly the putter head because of the added grip and tape weight. I also started looking at new putters, which I still have my original putter. After trying out 20 putters, I found that the store copy of my own felt the best. At that point I stripped off about 1/2 the weight on the top of the shaft and went back to the original grip. My putting is now about 29 and falling in the 7-8 rounds since and my handicap is back down to 21 and falling. I think I learned my lesson, although I do think in the end it was helpful because I have managed to obtain the same feel of the original putter, although it came at the expense of about 1/2 year.

Sounds good, PA. Your putting sounds very solid and you're right on track on keeping it original. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thread Information