|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Play by yourself?

How many guys golf solo?
    If you do, how do you approach the round?
    Use it as practice? Play as if it were a competitive situation?

I'm curious because I end up golfing alone quite often as I have a very liberal work schedule, will golf in bad weather, and will go as often as possible.

I have been trying to golf as much as possible as I have been playing < 1 year, and am hell bent on getting respectable (low-mid 90's) as soon as possible. A legit 90-something, as I do NOT play it up, footwedge the tough lies, use gimmes on putts, forego provisionals, mulligans, etc.

Recently though, I have been unable to maintain focus for an entire 18 holes when I am by myself. This mostly shows in the short game, where I will rush my chipping and putting routines. Consequently my rounds usually get away from me and I end up carding a few triples and doubles before finally turning the remainder of the round into a practice session.

Who amongst you can golf a full round solo and really buckle down to try and shoot for a goal, scorewise?

If I'm playing a round that I want to post, I'm better off playing with at least one other decent golfer as long as he doesn't give advise. It greatly helps my game to see how other's balls roll on the green if I'm playing the large fast greens of my home course.

I play a lot by myself in the cooler months & score well when the greens aren't real fast. If I'm practicing, I prefer to play alone.
    Taylor Made R540XD 10.5*
    Sonartec NP-99 15* & 21*
    Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T Black Ni 51-06, 56-13, 60-08
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

Hmmm. I guess it depends on the pace that day. If the pace is good, then I'll approach it like a competitive round but if it's slow then I'll play it as practice round as I don't practice enough and also because waiting too long just throws off my rhythm anyway.

It's impossible to play completely alone in my area, the courses are always packed. I would try to play a solo round as if it were competitive but maybe after holing out I'd practice a couple of extra putts or chips around the green as you can never have enough practice in those areas. I don't think I'd enjoy joining another group if I'm alone, although I did that several times while on vacation in SC recently. Mainly because I was with my girlfriend and she doesn't play so it was my only option.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfx811
    How many guys golf solo?

I'm curious because I end up golfing alone quite often as I have a very liberal work schedule, will golf in bad weather, and will go as often as possible.

I have been trying to golf as much as possible as I have been playing < 1 year, and am hell bent on getting respectable (low-mid 90's) as soon as possible. A legit 90-something, as I do NOT play it up, footwedge the tough lies, use gimmes on putts, forego provisionals, mulligans, etc.

Recently though, I have been unable to maintain focus for an entire 18 holes when I am by myself. This mostly shows in the short game, where I will rush my chipping and putting routines. Consequently my rounds usually get away from me and I end up carding a few triples and doubles before finally turning the remainder of the round into a practice session.

Who amongst you can golf a full round solo and really buckle down to try and shoot for a goal, scorewise?
    Ive been golfing for as long as you; maybe even less (9 months). It doesnt matter to me if I play alone or with someone. The way I see it is I am my own competition, I keep challenging myself on every shot. I also write in a notepad various thoughts on my game so it gives me something to do as I walk to my next shot. Time goes by faster and you stay more focused over 18.

Keep challenging yourself. You should reach your goal if you put in enough time and want it bad enough.

I usually end up alone on the cooler damp days.I play four balls, all legit ,play em where they land and so forth.I actually like it as I can try alot as far as stance ball position and whatever I want to try.

How many guys golf solo?

At my home course I play alone a fair bit in the evenings during the summer months as I am able to get out and get in 9-13 holes after work.

I definitely treat these rounds as practice e.g. if I duff a shot I will drop another ball (or two if that's what it takes) and try and hit it properly/better. I'll usually still play the 1st one and use that to record my score. Same with putts. However it doesn't really matter as I can't hand the card in without a playing partner to sign it. Sometimes I don't bother to keep the score. I just remember the holes I par (or birdie).

It's a great way to unwind after a days work and I prefer to use this as practise more than hitting balls at the driving range. It also means I can practise all aspects of the game from Driving to putting in real conditions.

A few times I have been away on a trip and I have played a local course by myself. On those occasions I play serious because I want to see what I can score over 18 on a new course. I have no problem focusing on those occasions.

At the weekends I always play in a group and that is when it gets serious!

I play alone quite often because my friends don't really get golf. I'll play one ball for my score. I always play it as it lies and always hole out. If I duff a shot or something like that, I'll drop another one and hit it til I get it right, but I will finish the duffed ball and use it as my score. Playing the second ball keeps me from getting mad if I make several mistakes because it teaches me how to pull off that shot for the next time I'm in that situation.

Another word of advice, play every fourth round with somebody. When you get to golf with your buddies or competitively, there's a little added pressure. It'll teach you to go through your routine and slow down when you hit a few bad ones. It's important to keep your cool when you hit a bad shot in front of someone. Some don't like to play with others (especially strangers) but I look at it like this- if I play with someone better than me, then I'll probably learn a few things. If I play with someone worse than me, then it's a nice little confidence booster that I can go out and beat someone. Win, win.

Good luck on improving and always have a good time, even if it takes turning a competitive round into a practice round (when playing alone) when things aren't going good!

Play as if it wasa competitive situation

How many guys golf solo?

i've played...I was the only player on the course (was raining)
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

The playing alone post wasn't concise enough? jebus it's on the 1st page!!!

Maybe if we play with blades instead of cavity backs it's ok to play solo?
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

I can't keep my focus unless I'm doing well. Still I would take a couple of chips and putts after holing out just to practice
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

only played the local pitch and putt alone...so no comment...though I have posted my best on that course when alone
    [B]Vive Golf..[/B]

I dont like playing alone for the simple reason that the people that golf with me will not believe anything I say when I have no witnesses. Not that it is all that important, I just dont want to hit the only hole in one and not have anyone see it. I seem to strike the ball better when I play alone as I am usually just practicing when I do this.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Driver-Nike SQ
    2I- Ping Eye 2
    3-PW-Palmer Blades
    Cleveland GW,SW, LW
    Putter- Odessey Rosie
    HCP- 6.8[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by neverman
    The playing alone post wasn't concise enough? jebus it's on the 1st page!!!

Maybe if we play with blades instead of cavity backs it's ok to play solo?
    Yea, my bad. I didn't thoroughly look at the previous posts. I had just come back from playing 30 holes by myself and the idea for this question was in my mind.

Sorry.

Like Kiwi Player - I play 6-9 holes after work quite frequently. I usually make a call after the first hole or two. If I'm playing well - I play legit. If I start having bad holes, I'll resort to a "practice" round and try to work out kinks in my game on the course.

Sometimes I'll play 2 balls with one being "aggressive" and one "conservative" to compare the 2 approaches to the game. I can't say that one approach is consistently better for me every time out - but it makes me try different shots - like a knock-down pitching wedge to hit the center of the green instead from 60 yards out instead a sand wedge trying to hit the pin.

Thread Information