|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: 10 finger grip

10 finger grip

I just started using the 10 finger grip (baseball grip) and am amazed by the results. I videotaped my swing and was lagging the club way to much, and just sort of slapping it through impact, with no real release.

After seeing the video, I decided to try the ten finger grip and wow, what a difference. Im a good 20 yards longer off the tee, but the approach shots are what have me exited. I am getting so much snap through impact.

Anyone else use this grip? Thoughts?

WARNING: If you tend to "cast" or "throw the club from the top" do not try this grip!

I've always used the 10 finger grip as it's what felt most comfortable as a former baseball player. I've tried the overlap and interlock with little success. I usually shank or slice the ball very badly. I feel I have no control without the 10 finger grip. I am a 13 handicap and have been playing for about 6 years or so.

I recently changed to that grip because i developed a blister on my finger. Ever since then I seem to have more control of my distance and much better accuracy with my irons. I think that I have better feel of the club with the "baseball" grip.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Driver-Nike SQ
    2I- Ping Eye 2
    3-PW-Palmer Blades
    Cleveland GW,SW, LW
    Putter- Odessey Rosie
    HCP- 6.8[/COLOR]

That's interesting to hear people switching to that grip. For me, I've just recently switched from a 10 finger to an overlapping grip, after 18 years of playing baseball. It was uncomfortable at first, but now that I've gotten used to it, its the best thing I could have done. My hands seem to work together as 1 unit now, and I've gotten rid of the snap hook that my old baseball grip sometimes caused. I think it keeps my hands from turning over to soon, especially with the driver.

Baseball grip is great for recreational players.

But it really brings WAY too much right hand into the swing (for righties).

Have fun hitting the ball a mile. You won't ever break 80 with a baseball grip though.

Quote Originally Posted by Besson

Have fun hitting the ball a mile. You won't ever break 80 with a baseball grip though.
    I disagree completely. I play every weekend and sometimes during the week. I guess I am the weekend warrior. No one is paying me to play and I am a recreational player, however I have shot below 80 three different times since starting the game about 6 years ago using the baseball grip. I am not extremely long, about 240-260 off the tee and average around 145-150 with my 7 iron. Keeping the ball in play, hitting some GIRs and developing a decent short game will allow anyone to break 80. There are some tour players that use this grip, albeit not a ton of them, and I'm quite ccertain they can break 80.
    TM R540 9.5* Driver
    Nike T40 3 Wood
    TM V-Steel 3 Wood
    Nike CPR Rescue
    TM RAC HT 4-AW
    Vokey 58* wedge
    TM Rossa Monza Corza putter
    Handicap 13.4

I break 80 consistently with the baseball grip. If I dont break 80 it is usually because my putter goes to sh** during my round.
    2I- Ping Eye 2
    3-PW-Palmer Blades
    Cleveland GW,SW, LW
    Putter- Odessey Rosie
    HCP- 6.8[/COLOR]

Bologna. Bull.

Quote Originally Posted by cfr_pratt
    I break 80 consistently with the baseball grip. If I dont break 80 it is usually because my putter goes to sh** during my round.
    Yep, and you constantly hit your driver 300+ as well if I remember correctly.

My dad was experimenting with it for a bit last year with his driver only. He did ok with it for a little while but then started pulling the crap out of his drives. He is a good ballstriker but tees the ball too high and forward and tries to murder it. I need to find him a good 9.5* with an R flex.

Quote Originally Posted by ezra76
    tees the ball too high and forward
    Have you seen the new issue of Golf magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    I did. It was interesting but not enough to make me tee it higher. I actually disagree that they only used 5 out of each persons 10 shots. If I were to tee it higher, the other 5 would probably be popups to left field. The conventional 1/2 ball on crown method seems more reliable for only a 3 yard difference with less risk of poor shots.

"The conventional 1/2 ball on crown method seems more reliable for only a 3 yard difference with less risk of poor shots."

Personally, I agree 100%

Lyle, my dad uses the 10 finger grip and is a 6.2 handicap. hows that for not being able to break 80 consistantly. i myself use the interlock. i am a 5.1
    Driver: Callaway Fusion Ft-3 Tour 9.5*
    1H: Ben Hogan CFT 17*
    3H: Ben Hogan CFT 21*
    Irons: Mizuno MP 60 4-PW
    Wedges: Mizuno MP T 51* Raw Haze,Titleist 54*/58* Vokey Oil Can Spin Milleds
    Putter: Taylormade Rozza Monza AGSI Insert

I find the baseball grip entices me to swing even harder which I am trying to tone down.

Yep, and you constantly hit your driver 300+ as well if I remember correctly.

You can say what you want. I dont personally golf with anyone on this web site so unfortunately you are going to have to take my word. Would you argee that with better accuracy you will score better? I am sure you will agree and I find it odd that you have such a problem with the results I get and the grip I use. If you are better than me so be it. Good for you. Why do you hate on everyone who does not play the game the exact way that you do?
    2I- Ping Eye 2
    3-PW-Palmer Blades
    Cleveland GW,SW, LW
    Putter- Odessey Rosie
    HCP- 6.8[/COLOR]

Yes and I rolled my eyes at it. That's how I hit 100yd. drives that go 200ft. high and put a nice skymark in my driver. I tee it up just inside my left foot and about half the ball above the clubface. I hit low trajectory drives but they hit the ground with a head full of steam. I get a big advantage if I can catch a slope.

I find that teeinf the ball lower will give me more accuracy. anyone else find that to be true?
    2I- Ping Eye 2
    3-PW-Palmer Blades
    Cleveland GW,SW, LW
    Putter- Odessey Rosie
    HCP- 6.8[/COLOR]

I use both

I use both the interlocking and 10-finger. THe 10-finger gives me a little more power and produces a lower profile shot -- UNLESS I give it a good wrist snap, then I can loft it up. The interlocking grip produces (at least for me) a higher and softer shot.

At first, the 10-finger had a small tendency to duck-hook, but now that I'm more used to it I rarely hook. It seems that the 10-finger has a natural draw (again, for me).

I tend to use the 10-finger on longer shots not expected to reach the green. Always use interlock for hitting into the green.

If I had to choose one, I'd choose the interlock, but the 10-finger is just plain fun and adds a little spice.

Tiger says he uses the 10-finger for some types of chips.

(My hands are not comfortable with the Varden (spelling?) grip.)
    [COLOR=DarkGreen]"If I can't walk it -- I don't play it."[/COLOR]

I've been using the 10 finger grip since I was 5 and I've broke 70 on three occasions in high school matches using the grip so you don't know what your talking about

Quote Originally Posted by stivers
    I've been using the 10 finger grip since I was 5 and I've broke 70 on three occasions in high school matches using the grip so you don't know what your talking about

Do you make it a habit... exhuming grave sites? Some sort of fetish for decomposed remains you're not telling us about? The 10 finger grip thing is just downright creepy, and the broken 70 thing - I'm assuming that means you've busted nuts on 70 corpses, three times? Damn, you're disgusting...

I'd advise you not to dig up any more old threads until you've achieved "veteran" status on GR, or else we'll have to speculate on the true nature of your intentions again in the future.

Sicko.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by GuyWhoGolfs
    I just started using the 10 finger grip (baseball grip) and am amazed by the results. I videotaped my swing and was lagging the club way to much, and just sort of slapping it through impact, with no real release.

After seeing the video, I decided to try the ten finger grip and wow, what a difference. Im a good 20 yards longer off the tee, but the approach shots are what have me exited. I am getting so much snap through impact.

WARNING: If you tend to "cast" or "throw the club from the top" do not try this grip!
    As a lefty who learned to play righty (on Dad's clubs), I never even considered that grip. My left hand is the strong one, pulling through the swing, and I think that helped me become a decent player in a very short time (two years from starter to seventies shooter in my teens). I use the Nicklaus interlock, primarily because my right hand is so weak that if I used the overlap it might come off the club completely on impact.. :-) the hooked pinkies keep my grip together and keep more of my right palm on the club so the right hand can have more force in the rollover. If I tried that with only half the right hand on the club in the overlap, it wouldn't have enough snap to it.

But the baseball grip does not unify my hands for a smooth transition... the clubhead goes on some wild wiggly path through the ball when I try the baseball grip..

interestingly, it works when I swing lefty, but that's because I hit baseballs from that side and the hands are used to the motion. Not that I can hit for sheite from the left, mind you, I"m a spaz on the range with lefty clubs.... but the baseball grip feels good on that side....
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

I grew up watching Jack Nicklaus, sometimes very close in person, and adopted his interlocking grip then abandoned it about 20 years ago for the overlap in order to generate more speed and release. I made this change when I switched from forged blades to "game improvement" cast cavity backs. A couple of years ago, I switched to the baseball grip for the same reasons--more speed and better release. It worked with driver and with irons, when the strike was pure. More often I pulled or pushed the irons, hit them real fat or shanked them. Realizing that I haven't broken 80 since giving up the blades and interlocking grip, I went back to it even though it means taping up a couple of fingers. I also modified my cast cavity backs by removing the vibration-deadening inserts in the cavities and applying a goodly amount of lead tape behind the sweet spots. Ironically, my clubhead speed has decreased but the increased mass behind the ball has made for more solid contact and improved accuracy. Even fat strikes carry. I also shortened driver shafts and added lead to the heads. It has slowed me down and, in concert with the interlocking grip, enabled me to get the clubhead square through impact.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    I grew up watching Jack Nicklaus, sometimes very close in person, and adopted his interlocking grip then abandoned it about 20 years ago for the overlap in order to generate more speed and release. I made this change when I switched from forged blades to "game improvement" cast cavity backs. A couple of years ago, I switched to the baseball grip for the same reasons--more speed and better release. It worked with driver and with irons, when the strike was pure. More often I pulled or pushed the irons, hit them real fat or shanked them. Realizing that I haven't broken 80 since giving up the blades and interlocking grip, I went back to it even though it means taping up a couple of fingers. I also modified my cast cavity backs by removing the vibration-deadening inserts in the cavities and applying a goodly amount of lead tape behind the sweet spots. Ironically, my clubhead speed has decreased but the increased mass behind the ball has made for more solid contact and improved accuracy. Even fat strikes carry. I also shortened driver shafts and added lead to the heads. It has slowed me down and, in concert with the interlocking grip, enabled me to get the clubhead square through impact.
    Interesting tale there Mongrel. What model irons are you talking about and how did removing the inserts and adding lead tape affect their performance and feel?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Cheap used set of '99 Cleveland TA4's. Just took a flathead screw driver, pried off the inserts (labelled "Vibration Dampening System" aka VAS) and scraped off the epoxy. The lack of labels did not let any nasty old vibrations in and the added weight has slightly softed the stiff flex Dynamic Golds which are probably the wrong shafts for this 63 year old. Also, I can hit the ball closer to the hosel and sweet spot. Don't know why, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by stivers
    I am waiting with bated breath for Besson's blistering retort.......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I am waiting with bated breath for Besson's blistering retort.......
    I'm still waiting.......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Cheap used set of '99 Cleveland TA4's. Just took a flathead screw driver, pried off the inserts (labelled "Vibration Dampening System" aka VAS) and scraped off the epoxy. The lack of labels did not let any nasty old vibrations in and the added weight has slightly softed the stiff flex Dynamic Golds which are probably the wrong shafts for this 63 year old. Also, I can hit the ball closer to the hosel and sweet spot. Don't know why, but it works.
    This is very interesting. I have often thought about getting some lead tape for my clubs but I was concerned it might affect consistency throughout the set. How much lead tape for each club and where and how did you apply it?
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 03-27-2010 at 02:14 PM.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Prepare to hear an earful of Shiiitttt from Mizuno lovers in this GR by switching from "blades" to POS CB
    On the topic of 10-finger grip, a friend if mine plays that way and he does it well. I did try but was not comfortable with it... Whatever works, stay with it, there are several ways to skin a cat

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    This is very interesting. I have often thought about getting some lead tape for my clubs but I was concerned it might affect consistency throughout the set. How much lead tape for each club and where and how did you apply it?
    PW-8: six one inch strips applied atop each other directly behind the sweet spot as measured by both the bouncing ball method and the balance the shaft and tap the face methods.
    7 & 6: five one inch strips same way and same place

5 hybrid: 2 one inch strips directly behind the sweet spot (Cobra Baffler 26 deg., original head on NVS stiff HL shaft)

4 hybrid: 23 deg. same Baffler head re-shafted with DG TT lite tipped between R & S --no tape since this is a heavy dude.

2 hybrid: 16 deg. Taylor Rescue Mid (original head): two inches of tape across the rear of the head.

3 wood: 904F with Fuji Pro 95 stiff--butt tipped shaft 1 inch, no tape.

905T: 10.5 YS-6+ R- butt tipped 1 inch and 6 gram lead stick-on low and just west of the hosel.

905R: 9.5 YS-6+ S-butt tipped 1/2 inch with one inch strips on mid heel and mid toe with 2 one inch strips directly behind sweet spot.

P-Ray Cook heel shafted thing-- two one inch strips high on the face rear between the hosel and little white center of blade line.

The beauty of tape is that you can always move it, remove it or add more. Sort of like infinitely adjustable weight screws. And cheap. If you are interested, better stock up before the EPA and White House send out the Lead Police.

Therein in is my tale of the tape.

I hear ear fulls of shyte every day from a multitute of sources so it don't bother me. As an old company commander said, "If ya can't take a joke, facque you." My last blades were Palmer Standards with the graphics and Arnie's signature in gold. Beautiful clubs with DG stiffs and Neumann leather grips. At the end, three of the shafts were real dead, all the heads needed re-grooving except the 2 and 3, and the grips were shot. I traded my first blade set for them after I lost the 7 iron on the course (I bet one of my skins competitors through it in a pond). They were early '80's Maxfli Australian Blades, the best irons I ever hit. Every time I hit a golf shop I look at their used sets. Almost pulled the trigger on a full set of Apexes last week but the shafts were too short for me and I never really liked the Hogan shafts anyway.

PW-8: six one inch strips applied atop each other directly behind the sweet spot as measured by both the bouncing ball method and the balance the shaft and tap the face methods.
    7 & 6: five one inch strips same way and same place

5 hybrid: 2 one inch strips directly behind the sweet spot (Cobra Baffler 26 deg., original head on NVS stiff HL shaft)

4 hybrid: 23 deg. same Baffler head re-shafted with DG TT lite tipped between R & S --no tape since this is a heavy dude.

2 hybrid: 16 deg. Taylor Rescue Mid (original head): two inches of tape across the rear of the head.

3 wood: 904F with Fuji Pro 95 stiff--butt tipped shaft 1 inch, no tape.

905T: 10.5 YS-6+ R- butt tipped 1 inch and 6 gram lead stick-on low and just west of the hosel.

905R: 9.5 YS-6+ S-butt tipped 1/2 inch with one inch strips on mid heel and mid toe with 2 one inch strips directly behind sweet spot.

P-Ray Cook heel shafted thing-- two one inch strips high on the face rear between the hosel and little white center of blade line.

The beauty of tape is that you can always move it, remove it or add more. Sort of like infinitely adjustable weight screws. And cheap. If you are interested, better stock up before the EPA and White House send out the Lead Police.

Therein in is my tale of the tape.
    Thanks dude, I've bee meaning to do some experimenting for a while now. I've just gotta find where I can buy some tape and I'll get to it.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thanks dude, I've bee meaning to do some experimenting for a while now. I've just gotta find where I can buy some tape and I'll get to it.
    Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, PGA Tour Superstore.. everyone has it in Dallas Ft. Worth.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, PGA Tour Superstore.. everyone has it in Dallas Ft. Worth.
    We don't have those stores over here. I may have to go with fleabay.

We don't have those stores over here. I may have to go with fleabay.
    Any golf shop or sports store should have it. Maybe even a hardware store? I used to use the same type of tape to weight my tennis racket so it should be easy enough to find.

Now where the f#ck am I?

10 Finger Golf Grip does work great if you are willing to put in the Time with it

Quote Originally Posted by stivers View Post
    Yes, I wanted to respond to that person who said that the Ten finger grip isn't for the better golfer. I hit an even par with it at a difficult long golf course. I switched to the overlapping grip (vardan grip) because of pressure I felt to get the right grip. I was going to golf school and I wanted to be correct in all things. Well this set me back for some time. I hit thousands of balls to finally feel somewhat comfortable with the varden grip. And I used this grip for two three summers. I never totally was able to get back to the feeling that the ten finger grip gave me. Now finally two days ago I had enouph with the so-called correct grip, varden overlapping grip. I spent one day practicing the 10 finger grip again. And BOOM ... I was quickly back to a far more accurate swing and shots. For me the Baseball grip feels natural and comfortable. Now I can get back to my original 7 handicap that I had before I switched. Now i expect to go far lower than that now that my confidence can't be shaken by doubters. I know from experience that this grip can be superior if one is willing to stick with it (for the person who likes it better). I'm not talking about distance either, which ofcourse it can bring. I'm certainly talking about short wedges, mid irons, and driver. The mind and body can work this out for the person who develops the vision for this grip and swing along with it. The mind will work with the body as a person continues to swing the club. The people who think that the baseball grip will cause a hook too often are wrong. The mind will direct the body to create a different swing path to offset this tendency. And the mind and body don't forget previous errors in the swing path. I am unable to hook because my mind will not allow my body to swing the wrong way. Ofcourse this is after I have hit many, many, many buckets of balls---day after day--week and after week--month after month---year after year. And for me this is a fun process. Why? Because I have faith that the mind, spirit, soul and body are always working naturally to correct problems if you trust and believe in yourself .... that all things can be worked out with much time spent on the range.
    Last edited by restfulateaseswing; 06-19-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: not finished with the thought

Love the 10 finger grip

Quote Originally Posted by GuyWhoGolfs View Post

I use the 10 finger grip. I have worked on other grips and stuck with other grips for long periods of time to appease the teachers who tried to change me. But I have always gone back to the Baseball grip. For me it produces the most consistent straight balls toward the pin. It also feels more solid and natural. I went to golf academy of america in orlando, FL. So I know what is advised. But I also know that I am unique. I have to stick with what I know and what has produced for me. Ben Hogan had his own unique grip. The only way a person can find out is by continuing to try to find the answers on his own. You will know if you spend time on the range what works and what doesn't work. The key to success is to always feel your club swing as a reaction to the legs and hips. then the swing will remain on plane and free of restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by restfulateaseswing View Post
    I use the 10 finger grip. I have worked on other grips and stuck with other grips for long periods of time to appease the teachers who tried to change me. But I have always gone back to the Baseball grip. For me it produces the most consistent straight balls toward the pin. It also feels more solid and natural. I went to golf academy of america in orlando, FL. So I know what is advised. But I also know that I am unique. I have to stick with what I know and what has produced for me. Ben Hogan had his own unique grip. The only way a person can find out is by continuing to try to find the answers on his own. You will know if you spend time on the range what works and what doesn't work. The key to success is to always feel your club swing as a reaction to the legs and hips. then the swing will remain on plane and free of restriction.
    I knew a guy who used the 10 finger grip. His name was Gunter. He had abnormal, hairy knuckles and a very large mandibal.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I knew a guy who used the 10 finger grip. His name was Gunter. He had abnormal, hairy knuckles and a very large mandibal.
    Did he show ya that in the bathroom or outside, in front of everyone else?
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Moe Norman was the most consistent straight ball striker of his time. His grip was unique. He emphasized a pendulum approach. He held the club more in his palms. I'm convinced that if I wasn't so unsure of myself that my golf game would be much better. The whole key is believing in one's self and working these things out for yourself. I have had 30 years of golf instuctors telling me all sorts of different things. And now I am a golf instructor. It is always good to get feedback. But I don't think a really good golf teacher would be so presumptuous as to believe his/her way is the best for everyone.
    Last edited by restfulateaseswing; 06-20-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: grammer

Moe Norman was the most consistent straight ball striker of his time. His grip was unique. He emphasized a pendulum approach. He held the club more in his palms. I'm convinced that if I wasn't so unsure of myself that my golf game would be much better. The whole key is believing in one's self and working these things out for yourself. I have had 30 years of golf instuctors telling me all sorts of different things. And now I am a golf instructor. It is always good to get feedback. But I don't think a really good golf teacher would be so presumptuous as to believe his/her way is the best for everyone.
    I'm tired of hearing all of this hoopla over Moe Norman and his ballstriking abilities. The guy was about as manly as Peter Pan. He hung out all day at the range and got blisters on his hands. He claims to have won some Canadian events but for all we know he's just another basement dweller.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Yes, I wanted to respond to that person who said that the Ten finger grip isn't for the better golfer. I hit an even par with it at a difficult long golf course. I switched to the overlapping grip (vardan grip) because of pressure I felt to get the right grip. I was going to golf school and I wanted to be correct in all things. Well this set me back for some time. I hit thousands of balls to finally feel somewhat comfortable with the varden grip. And I used this grip for two three summers. I never totally was able to get back to the feeling that the ten finger grip gave me. Now finally two days ago I had enouph with the so-called correct grip, varden overlapping grip. I spent one day practicing the 10 finger grip again. And BOOM ... I was quickly back to a far more accurate swing and shots. For me the Baseball grip feels natural and comfortable. Now I can get back to my original 7 handicap that I had before I switched. Now i expect to go far lower than that now that my confidence can't be shaken by doubters. I know from experience that this grip can be superior if one is willing to stick with it (for the person who likes it better). I'm not talking about distance either, which ofcourse it can bring. I'm certainly talking about short wedges, mid irons, and driver. The mind and body can work this out for the person who develops the vision for this grip and swing along with it. The mind will work with the body as a person continues to swing the club. The people who think that the baseball grip will cause a hook too often are wrong. The mind will direct the body to create a different swing path to offset this tendency. And the mind and body don't forget previous errors in the swing path. I am unable to hook because my mind will not allow my body to swing the wrong way. Ofcourse this is after I have hit many, many, many buckets of balls---day after day--week and after week--month after month---year after year. And for me this is a fun process. Why? Because I have faith that the mind, spirit, soul and body are always working naturally to correct problems if you trust and believe in yourself .... that all things can be worked out with much time spent on the range.
    Jeez. Nice novel, Tom Clancy. Is there a Cliff's notes version? But seriously, based on my calculations given this thread's history, you can expect a response in about 5 years.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

The only time I need to use a 10 finger grip is at the urinal.

I'm tired of hearing all of this hoopla over Moe Norman and his ballstriking abilities. The guy was about as manly as Peter Pan. He hung out all day at the range and got blisters on his hands. He claims to have won some Canadian events but for all we know he's just another basement dweller.
    Yes, he appeared to be a very simple man. That is for those who like to stay with appearances. I envy him that he could hang out at the golf range all day.

Ya...i guess i over did that a little didn't I...

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer View Post
    Jeez. Nice novel, Tom Clancy. Is there a Cliff's notes version? But seriously, based on my calculations given this thread's history, you can expect a response in about 5 years.
    Well, I just joined this blog and I was eager to vent. I think you are right. Good thing that noone reads this then anyway because I have a lot to learn about getting to the point about an issue. My dad used to come home and try and tell the whole family about his golf game. When no one would listen ... we would find him telling the dog about how he should have had a birdie on the the
    8th hole ...but he missed that three foot putt.

Well, I just joined this blog and I was eager to vent. I think you are right. Good thing that noone reads this then anyway because I have a lot to learn about getting to the point about an issue. My dad used to come home and try and tell the whole family about his golf game. When no one would listen ... we would find him telling the dog about how he should have had a birdie on the the
    restfulateaseswing, I understand the difficulties of breaking away from the models set for you by worthless and disfunctional parents. Your father was obviously not the life of the party. Did your dog evntually run away from home?

It's up to you to change things, you don't have to be completely boring. You can start with your posts here.

The 10 finger grip is solid as long as you aren't prone to coming over the top or sucking a really, really big one.
    GR lives...

Hey, that's what discussion boards are for. Venting stuff that the folks around the house could give a tinker's damn about. That and being sarcastic and rude and saying things you wouldn't normally say to people in real life. Now shut the fukk up newby!!!
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Moe Norman's consistency for hitting the straight ball had everything to do with his lack of clubhead speed, and thus length. His secret was not really a secret at all - it was simple mathematics.

Moe knew the angle of his shot dispersion cone, and by hitting the ball shorter distances could always count on the fairway or green being wider than the wide end of his shot dispersion cone - thus he was routinely able to hit most of the fairways and greens.

Had he been forced to play modern 7200yd+ layouts he would have found his strategy to be as lacking in effectiveness as his swing was lacking in distance. His approach to course management would be obsolete at the professional level in the modern era.

Not taking anything away from him, as he was a magnificent player in his era... but in the age of 500yd+ par 4's and 600yd+ par 5's he'd have a tough time just keeping pace with most modern professionals on those holes. The pros today regularly put up birdies and eagles on holes where Moe would be doing well just to make par. He'd be giving a shot back to the field on practically every lengthy par 4 and par 5.

Short and straight is no longer a reliable way to compete for championships at the highest level. To contend today, you need both accuracy AND a bit of length.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

I hate to break this to you, but the phrase, "believe in one's self," is nothing more than psychological propaganda. Your success is largely attributed to hard practice or work and a lot of luck. Psychiatrists and authors of "self help" books only use this drivel because they know it will keep clients and book readers with massive problems coming back to pay their fees. We are all basically stuck with the fact that our current problems stem from the guilt we had between the ages of 12 and 14 whenever we wanted to screw our mothers. At least I think that is right . . . . . . . . . . . it all depends on how you want to interpret Freud.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature View Post
    Moe Norman's consistency for hitting the straight ball had everything to do with his lack of clubhead speed, and thus length. His secret was not really a secret at all - it was simple mathematics.

Moe knew the angle of his shot dispersion cone, and by hitting the ball shorter distances could always count on the fairway or green being wider than the wide end of his shot dispersion cone - thus he was routinely able to hit most of the fairways and greens.

Had he been forced to play modern 7200yd+ layouts he would have found his strategy to be as lacking in effectiveness as his swing was lacking in distance. His approach to course management would be obsolete at the professional level in the modern era.

Not taking anything away from him, as he was a magnificent player in his era... but in the age of 500yd+ par 4's and 600yd+ par 5's he'd have a tough time just keeping pace with most modern professionals on those holes. The pros today regularly put up birdies and eagles on holes where Moe would be doing well just to make par. He'd be giving a shot back to the field on practically every lengthy par 4 and par 5.

Short and straight is no longer a reliable way to compete for championships at the highest level. To contend today, you need both accuracy AND a bit of length.

FON
    Not only that but it also helps to have the newest Ping Putter like the one below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	png sydney.jpg 
Views:	8204 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	2698  

Not only that but it also helps to have the newest Ping Putter like the one below.
    That looks like an extra from the most recent Transformers movie.

Optimus Ping?

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature View Post
    That looks like an extra from the most recent Transformers movie.

Optimus Ping?

FON
    LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing. It's horrible looking.

Ping Sydney?

Our resident Sydneysider NAH will have to put that putter in the bag.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Ping Sydney?

Our resident Sydneysider NAH will have to put that putter in the bag.
    It's not a coincidence. I called my guys in the Ping R&D department and told them to name it Sydney. I knew that NAH would be forced to bag it.

It's not a coincidence. I called my guys in the Ping R&D department and told them to name it Sydney. I knew that NAH would be forced to bag it.
    Why not just name it Not a Hacker? That would have widespread appeal. Were you trying to be cryptic?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Why not just name it Not a Hacker? That would have widespread appeal. Were you trying to be cryptic?
    The guys in marketing thought Not a Hacker with have a negative connotation associated with it. We chose Sydney to be subtle.

Thanks for the posts.

I can only add my personal experience with the 10-finger.

When I first picked up golf clubs 12 years ago, coming from a baseball / softball background, I was told my '10 finger grip' was not a golf grip. Despite that sentiment, the first few times I ever went to the range I was able to hit driver very well with this grip. Nevertheless, I tried switching and playing probably a couple dozen times over the next 5-6 years, sucking all the way. I just got frustrated and quit.

3.5 years ago, I moved back to Arizona and decided I wanted to set a goal to become a single-digit handicap. I switched to interlocking grip and my handicap has dropped to around a 9-10 playing every weekend and trying every miracle 'solution' I'd see on Golf Channel. I'm a right-handed player, although I could switch-hit in baseball, i used a right-hand pull action to do so. Looking back, I wish I had just learned to golf lefty. Instead, with interlock, I'd rarely use my right side to release, and I struggled. I'd developed a flat swing and laid-off wrist at the top in order to try and compensate for lack of natural release. I just didn't know how it was supposed to feel.

Ballstriking still being my biggest weakness - I can break 80 on good days, thanks to a pretty solid short game - tinkering with my swing never seems to stick.

Last week, I played around with the 10-finger grip at the range after watching Johnny Miller's Golf Academy series on Golf Channel. For me, as a mid-cap, I ate these videos up. Miller went through all three main grips - 10-finger, overlap, and interlock. At not point did he say 'this grip is invalid' - just the pro's and con's of each. I have good hands, yet I never used them thinking I was supposed to 'hit with my body rotation'. I went straight to the range and with the 10-finger was making so much better contact with my irons it had me giggling. I've gone back a couple times since and have seen similar results. It just helps me get the feel of releasing my right side and helps me stay down at impact, just a tad lower. I'm tempering expectations until I mess around with it for a few rounds and a few more weeks, but I have never hit my irons better - high draw and fade both.

Every golfer is different. It is silly to slap labels on golfers or swing methods.

It should be noted that I am gaming Wilson FG Tour forged irons now, instead of my PING G5s, so 10-finger grip results may have produced more duck hooks with the larger and heavier G5s. I am a big Wilson fan and really LOVE the FG Tours. They're still forgiving but I'm addicted to the new forged feel.

Besides the grip fundamentals in Miller's videos - I found his swing positions to be extremely helpful as a mid-capper. Highly recommend checking the 'irons' and 'top tips' Miller Academy videos out.
    Last edited by bossanovawitcha; 01-18-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bossanovawitcha View Post
    Thanks for the posts.

I can only add my personal experience with the 10-finger.

When I first picked up golf clubs 12 years ago, coming from a baseball / softball background, I was told my '10 finger grip' was not a golf grip. Despite that sentiment, the first few times I ever went to the range I was able to hit driver very well with this grip. Nevertheless, I tried switching and playing probably a couple dozen times over the next 5-6 years, sucking all the way. I just got frustrated and quit.

3.5 years ago, I moved back to Arizona and decided I wanted to set a goal to become a single-digit handicap. I switched to interlocking grip and my handicap has dropped to around a 9-10 playing every weekend and trying every miracle 'solution' I'd see on Golf Channel. I'm a right-handed player, although I could switch-hit in baseball, i used a right-hand pull action to do so. Looking back, I wish I had just learned to golf lefty. Instead, with interlock, I'd rarely use my right side to release, and I struggled. I'd developed a flat swing and laid-off wrist at the top in order to try and compensate for lack of natural release. I just didn't know how it was supposed to feel.

Ballstriking still being my biggest weakness - I can break 80 on good days, thanks to a pretty solid short game - tinkering with my swing never seems to stick.

Last week, I played around with the 10-finger grip at the range after watching Johnny Miller's Golf Academy series on Golf Channel. For me, as a mid-cap, I ate these videos up. Miller went through all three main grips - 10-finger, overlap, and interlock. At not point did he say 'this grip is invalid' - just the pro's and con's of each. I have good hands, yet I never used them thinking I was supposed to 'hit with my body rotation'. I went straight to the range and with the 10-finger was making so much better contact with my irons it had me giggling. I've gone back a couple times since and have seen similar results. It just helps me get the feel of releasing my right side and helps me stay down at impact, just a tad lower. I'm tempering expectations until I mess around with it for a few rounds and a few more weeks, but I have never hit my irons better - high draw and fade both.

Every golfer is different. It is silly to slap labels on golfers or swing methods.

Besides the grip fundamentals in Miller's videos - I found his swing positions to be extremely helpful as a mid-capper. Highly recommend checking the 'irons' and 'top tips' Miller Academy videos out.
    Thank you for posting this. I had tried that grip some years ago when I played with my son after some years and noticed that he used it and hit the snot out of the ball. I gave him a Titleist 983K with Prolite 3.5 stiff just before we tee'd off and, with just two practice swings, he hit it 295 with a slight draw on the first hole. I tried the grip the rest of the year but was inconsistent. Now that I have dialed in my irons and shafts by fitting myself, it might be a good idea to try it again. Especially if it can help with my right side release and staying down over shots.

I have always used a baseball grip, after just getting back into golf recently, I noticed that I had got into the habbit of releasing the club to early with my new irons. I addressed this issue today and had my best round ever, an 81. Might not sound that exciting for most of you guys but this was only my 8th round playing blades. It's a shame it took me so long to figure out my swing issue. Anyway I am very serious about improving my game and have been considering an interlocking or overlapping grip as I was always told that baseball is not the way to go. After my best round today and progressing nicely with the blades I am now not sure if I need to change the grip. Any advice guys?
    Last edited by Maggoo; 01-19-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggoo View Post
    I have always used a baseball grip, after just getting back into golf recently, I noticed that I had got into the habbit of releasing the club to early with my new irons. I addressed this issue today and had my best round ever, an 81. Might not sound that exciting for most of you guys but this was only my 8th round playing blades. It's a shame it took me so long to figure out my swing issue. Anyway I am very serious about improving my game and have been considering an interlocking or overlapping grip as I was always told that baseball is not the way to go. After my best round today and progressing nicely with the blades I am now not sure if I need to change the grip. Any advice guys?
    Sorry Maggoo, no advice on the grip (I use overlapping). But the really burning issue around here is what blades are you gaming?

Nice round BTW.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I started out watching the "golf my way" tape by Jack back then , that's how I started gripping clubs like he did and probably like most of you. Last yr I had shingles and my left index finger got blisters and hurt like hell when I used my normal interlocking grips. To go around that problem I overlapped my left index finger on top of my right fingers like "putting grip" and it works well, I've tried to go back to the old inter-locking grip but I don't feel comfortable anymore, so the overlapping of left index finger is here to stay until next time

If you are in the process of sorting out your new irons and shot your best, an 81, using the baseball grip, I'd be tempted to keep the grip and keep on sorting because where there's an 81, there's a 79 or 77 lurking in the shadows. When I started as a kid in the 1950's, I was taught an overlap grip. As a young teen, I saw Nicklaus play up close and he was using the interlock and I tried it and, for the first time, could hang onto the club. Then I gave up golf for some years and came back to it using the overlap which wasn't working real well. Then I read about the special grip the Shark used and, because I have relatively small hands and short fingers like Shark, started using that and used it for a couple of years during which time my cap got down into the single digits. Alas, I had to stop using the interlock because besides the short fingers, my pinkies are both bent and I would rub the right pinkie, ring and middle fingers to raw and bleeding. So back to overlap, then ten fingers, and in the past two years back to interlock and now I've decided to try the baseball grip again. Whatever works. Always good to practice using a variety of grips and use whatever seems to be best that day.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    If you are in the process of sorting out your new irons and shot your best, an 81, using the baseball grip, I'd be tempted to keep the grip and keep on sorting because where there's an 81, there's a 79 or 77 lurking in the shadows. When I started as a kid in the 1950's, I was taught an overlap grip. As a young teen, I saw Nicklaus play up close and he was using the interlock and I tried it and, for the first time, could hang onto the club. Then I gave up golf for some years and came back to it using the overlap which wasn't working real well. Then I read about the special grip the Shark used and, because I have relatively small hands and short fingers like Shark, started using that and used it for a couple of years during which time my cap got down into the single digits. Alas, I had to stop using the interlock because besides the short fingers, my pinkies are both bent and I would rub the right pinkie, ring and middle fingers to raw and bleeding. So back to overlap, then ten fingers, and in the past two years back to interlock and now I've decided to try the baseball grip again. Whatever works. Always good to practice using a variety of grips and use whatever seems to be best that day.
    How long did it take you to adjust everytime you changed your grip?
    I have been using the same grip for 25 years, when ever I try a different grip it feels so bad, I know there will be a period of adjustment, but I fear that I will never become comfortable with a different grip. I suppose there is only one way to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    I started out watching the "golf my way" tape by Jack back then , that's how I started gripping clubs like he did and probably like most of you. Last yr I had shingles and my left index finger got blisters and hurt like hell when I used my normal interlocking grips. To go around that problem I overlapped my left index finger on top of my right fingers like "putting grip" and it works well, I've tried to go back to the old inter-locking grip but I don't feel comfortable anymore, so the overlapping of left index finger is here to stay until next time
    Good to see I'm not the only one that feels uncomfortable with a grip change.

Sorry Maggoo, no advice on the grip (I use overlapping). But the really burning issue around here is what blades are you gaming?

Nice round BTW.
    Have you ever experimented with any other grips Kiwi or have you always had the same?

I got a set of Mizuno MP 69's

How long did it take you to adjust everytime you changed your grip?
    I have been using the same grip for 25 years, when ever I try a different grip it feels so bad, I know there will be a period of adjustment, but I fear that I will never become comfortable with a different grip. I suppose there is only one way to tell.
    I was in Florida two years ago this coming March for a couple of days playing golf with my wife's two uncles. I had been using the baseball grip the previous summer and just switched back to the overlap for the first round in Florida. It took about 10 pitching wedges, 5 seven irons and 5 drivers to get used to it again. It was windy and I had just gotten a used 905R with a stiff shaft and an oversized grip that I didn't like. First time a put it into play and everything was going dead right even if the wind was right to left. So after the front 9, I used the 905T with regular flex and regular grip for the back and did OK. Later that day I went to a range nearby, bought a bucket of 60 balls, and tried the 905R with the interlock grip and, voila, no more rights. It was the only way I could square the clubface with the stiff shaft and jumbo grip. Since then I've learned to reshaft, swing-weight, tip, extend butts, do partial insertions, re-grip and build up grips at the right places so I'm ready to try the baseball grip again to see if it helps me give the ball a better whack with the right hand and get off my right side better. I'm not real flexible anymore and may try to change my swing to more of a hit than a swing. If it doesn't work, no harm, no foul. I've got Mizuno irons with what feels like the perfect sole grind for the turf I play on and with the soft steel shafts in them, do not sweat thin hits anymore.

Thanks for the feedback mongrel, I think I will hit the range and experiment there. See if I start to feel any comfort after a bucket of balls. Reshafting clubs is currently not an option for me, but I am keen on trying a different grip, probably because I have never done it before and it may pay off in the long run.
    Even though it is winter here and the weather is too nasty for me to go outside and hit balls, I have begun practicing chips and short pitches with the baseball grip from the carpet in our basement TV room. So far it seems that I can get a better right hand control action on soft pitches that I can lob softy knee-high for about 20 feet carrying the sleeping dog (my avatar) and landing softly two feet from where they hit. I couldn't do that with the other grips with my 52* gapper.

Thanks for the feedback mongrel, I think I will hit the range and experiment there. See if I start to feel any comfort after a bucket of balls. Reshafting clubs is currently not an option for me, but I am keen on trying a different grip, probably because I have never done it before and it may pay off in the long run.

Have you ever experimented with any other grips Kiwi or have you always had the same?

I got a set of Mizuno MP 69's
    I've always used this grip. It's what I was taught by my Dad when I first picked up a golf club. I've tried the baseball grip which I didn't like at all. I've also tried the interlocking grip and had some success with it at the range, hitting some pretty solid shots. But on the course I always revert to the overlapping grip which is most comfortable for me.

How long have you had the MP69s?

Playing GFF (Grain Flow Forged) blades shows you have discerning taste and makes you part of a revered and exclusive club here on GR.

I play the MP58s.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Even though it is winter here and the weather is too nasty for me to go outside and hit balls, I have begun practicing chips and short pitches with the baseball grip from the carpet in our basement TV room. So far it seems that I can get a better right hand control action on soft pitches that I can lob softy knee-high for about 20 feet carrying the sleeping dog (my avatar) and landing softly two feet from where they hit. I couldn't do that with the other grips with my 52* gapper.
    This is interesting, I have alot of confidence in my short game due to my 52. I also have very good control over it and always have, weather I am looking for a shot with a soft landing or a chip and run. Maybe the grip has something to do with that. It is also good to see that I am not the only one who swings and chips in the house, it drives my Mrs crazy. The worst part is when I am watching the golf and I can't help myself I just have to pull a club out.

I've always used this grip. It's what I was taught by my Dad when I first picked up a golf club. I've tried the baseball grip which I didn't like at all. I've also tried the interlocking grip and had some success with it at the range, hitting some pretty solid shots. But on the course I always revert to the overlapping grip which is most comfortable for me.

How long have you had the MP69s?

Playing GFF (Grain Flow Forged) blades shows you have discerning taste and makes you part of a revered and exclusive club here on GR.

I play the MP58s.
    I think that is the biggest problem for me. If changed my grip and went out on the course and started hitting them badly it is just to easy to give up and revert back to my normal grip.

The clubs were my Xmas present, I have always wanted a set of mizuno's but was always scared off by people telling me they are too hard to hit and they will be no good for a chopper like me. I decided this Xmas that I don't care what people say I want a set and I am going to get a set and so far I am very happy. They feel great with the callaway (i)s ball that NAH suggested. I am loving the combo. I had an 86 today (that's right I was out there again) but my driving was the problem today. I would say that if it was not for my good iron play today it would have been alot worse, my driving was horrible. I must say they are an awesome looking iron.

This is interesting, I have alot of confidence in my short game due to my 52. I also have very good control over it and always have, weather I am looking for a shot with a soft landing or a chip and run. Maybe the grip has something to do with that. It is also good to see that I am not the only one who swings and chips in the house, it drives my Mrs crazy. The worst part is when I am watching the golf and I can't help myself I just have to pull a club out.
    Tell Mrs that it's a healthy habit, rather than sitting at a single bar talking to other beautiful girls . Hopefully that would give Mrs a different perspective in life
    Last edited by Pky6471; 01-21-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Lol, that might work, I am actually watching the golf now and she is in bed, and have the 9 iron swinging nicely in the lounge room. What is this game doing to me?

Lol, that might work, I am actually watching the golf now and she is in bed, and have the 9 iron swinging nicely in the lounge room. What is this game doing to me?
    U really fukkkkup your priority.... If she's in bed, why the hell you want to swing your club?

LMAO, told you this game has me obsessed, I will have to snap out of it.

I think that is the biggest problem for me. If changed my grip and went out on the course and started hitting them badly it is just to easy to give up and revert back to my normal grip.

The clubs were my Xmas present, I have always wanted a set of mizuno's but was always scared off by people telling me they are too hard to hit and they will be no good for a chopper like me. I decided this Xmas that I don't care what people say I want a set and I am going to get a set and so far I am very happy. They feel great with the callaway (i)s ball that NAH suggested. I am loving the combo. I had an 86 today (that's right I was out there again) but my driving was the problem today. I would say that if it was not for my good iron play today it would have been alot worse, my driving was horrible. I must say they are an awesome looking iron.
    Congrats on the new irons. Glad you are liking them. There are two schools of thought here on GR re blades. One is that they are too hard to hit and we should all at least play cavity backs if not oversize shovels. The other is that they are not that tough to hit and reward a good swing and if you like em them play them. I had the MP33s in the bag for a year or two and though I'm a chopper too I found them no harder to hit than my cavity backs. They are so much nicer at address and I prefer the smaller clubhead to most GI irons. With the MP58s I have the best of both worlds as they look as nice as a blade at address but offer more forgiveness. Having said that everything I've read about the 69s is that they are very forgiving for a blade.

As for swing a club inside the house the Missus would NOT tolerate me chipping inside the house. The most I can get away with is putting on the lounge room floor whilst she watches some reality show on TV like The X Factor.

I figure if I can make 4 foot putts with that nauseating garbage going on in the background I can shut out all distractions and make clutch 4 footers on the golf course.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Congrats on the new irons. Glad you are liking them. There are two schools of thought here on GR re blades. One is that they are too hard to hit and we should all at least play cavity backs if not oversize shovels. The other is that they are not that tough to hit and reward a good swing and if you like em them play them. I had the MP33s in the bag for a year or two and though I'm a chopper too I found them no harder to hit than my cavity backs. They are so much nicer at address and I prefer the smaller clubhead to most GI irons. With the MP58s I have the best of both worlds as they look as nice as a blade at address but offer more forgiveness. Having said that everything I've read about the 69s is that they are very forgiving for a blade.

As for swing a club inside the house the Missus would NOT tolerate me chipping inside the house. The most I can get away with is putting on the lounge room floor whilst she watches some reality show on TV like The X Factor.

I figure if I can make 4 foot putts with that nauseating garbage going on in the background I can shut out all distractions and make clutch 4 footers on the golf course.
    Oh jeez. Maggoo, before you can expect better results from your short game you're going to have to grow a pair.
    GR lives...

Well we have to do what we can to avoid any involvement in a reality program. I took it to another Extreeme and setup the spare room with an LCD and a nice leather recliner / massage chair. I then implemented one of what I refer to as my men who rule their roost rules. Any reality or soap viewing must be done in the spare room while I am at home.

Actually I am very lucky because my Mrs loves golf, she doesn't play that often but loves watching the golf. There is a downside, she plays women's X20 callaway irons.

Seriously though I agree that these blades are not as hard to hit as I was lead to believe, my distance has not suffered and I went from reg flex shovels to stiff blades. I played with a 2 & 4 HC yesterday and they commented on my swing having really good shoulder turn and solid striking. I was extremely happy with the comments. Looking forward to having a hit with OP to see what he thinks and possibly get some good tips.
    Last edited by Maggoo; 01-20-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Oh jeez. Maggoo, before you can expect better results from your short game you're going to have to grow a pair.
    As you can imagine I would not want anything effecting my short game. I shall scheduled the Mrs in tonight for a session, before the golf starts of course.

Well we have to do what we can to avoid any involvement in a reality program. I took it to another Extreeme and setup the spare room with an LCD and a nice leather recliner / massage chair. I then implemented one of what I refer to as my men who rule their roost rules. Any reality or soap viewing must be done in the spare room while I am at home.

Actually I am very lucky because my Mrs loves golf, she doesn't play that often but loves watching the golf. There is a downside, she plays women's X20 callaway irons.

Seriously though I agree that these blades are not as hard to hit as I was lead to believe, my distance has not suffered and I went from reg flex shovels to stiff blades. I played with a 2 & 4 HC yesterday and they commented on my swing having really good shoulder turn and solid striking. I was extremely happy with the comments. Looking forward to having a hit with OP to see what he thinks and possibly get some good tips.
    No downside there. Callaways are perfect woman's clubs. My wife has a set of Powebilts. Also ideal woman's clubs.

Now where the f#ck am I?

No downside there. Callaways are perfect woman's clubs. My wife has a set of Powebilts. Also ideal woman's clubs.
    Nicely played sir!

Does she also employ a left hand low putting grip? I understand that works best for women because they lack hand a forearm strength.

Glad u like the i(s). Im actually liking them more each time I play them. They are now my favourite ball by a mile. I have another suggestion. Get a titty driver. I have a 905R with a ys7 stiff and its my all time favourite. So easy to hit but also a real players driver. Slightly heavy but thats how I like all my clubs to feel.

How much would I be looking at for the 905?

FD is your man for prices in the US, but I would think less than 50 bucks. But keep in mind the cost of a shaft change if necessary. I got mine with a nv65 and had to swap it out. I got lucky and got a new YS7+ stifff for 100 fitted. It sux forking out for a shaft, but worth it. Mine was a different driver with the new shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    FD is your man for prices in the US, but I would think less than 50 bucks. But keep in mind the cost of a shaft change if necessary. I got mine with a nv65 and had to swap it out. I got lucky and got a new YS7+ stifff for 100 fitted. It sux forking out for a shaft, but worth it. Mine was a different driver with the new shaft.
    905R drivers can be found for $49 to $59. If you are a low handicap golfer you owe it to yourself to try the Callaway FT Tour. However, keep in mind that the green Aldila shaft is stiffer than the maroon one. It's the most controllable and workable driver I've tried. My Ping G15 with ProLaunch Red Reg shaft came in and I'm not even going to try it. It's looks don't even come close to the FT Tour. FT Tours can be bought for $89 to $129. 3balls or Ebay.

Two years ago I bought a used 9.5* 905R off Ebay for about $100This year I bought another used one in 11.5% for $56 off Ebay. In a month or two I hope to acquire another one in 10.5* and all I want is the head. Yesterday I saw a used 907D2 in the Golf Galaxy store on the way home from work. $45 for 10.5* with
    YS-6+ stiff shaft in like-new condition. If I already didn't have that loft in that head, I would have walked out with it. Get the right shaft in the right loft head in either of these clubs and you will be golden for a long time. These drivers are like blade irons. People think they are so hard to hit that the used market is really cheap. If you can hit the blade iron or driver or whatever center-face most of the time, it doesn't matter what you're hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by cfr_pratt View Post
    I find that teeinf the ball lower will give me more accuracy. anyone else find that to be true?
    Yep-thats the way a guy named Corey Pavin played-and he was/is (plays once in awhile) pretty accurate. He's not long but he was always one of the better fairways/hit guys. I tee it low and position it more towards middle of my stance than the long ball guys I play with, and it works for me. I know I can hit it longer but the fairway is better than punching out of the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by huskyhater View Post
    Yep-thats the way a guy named Corey Pavin played-and he was/is (plays once in awhile) pretty accurate. He's not long but he was always one of the better fairways/hit guys. I tee it low and position it more towards middle of my stance than the long ball guys I play with, and it works for me. I know I can hit it longer but the fairway is better than punching out of the trees.
    Pavin hit lots of fairways cause he was so short he couldnt hit it far enough to make the rough.

905R drivers can be found for $49 to $59. If you are a low handicap golfer you owe it to yourself to try the Callaway FT Tour. However, keep in mind that the green Aldila shaft is stiffer than the maroon one. It's the most controllable and workable driver I've tried. My Ping G15 with ProLaunch Red Reg shaft came in and I'm not even going to try it. It's looks don't even come close to the FT Tour. FT Tours can be bought for $89 to $129. 3balls or Ebay.
    I warn anyone with a weak stomach or that has just eaten to stop reading now. About 3 years ago I got an FT-IQ driver for my birthday with the FT-I squareway 3 & 5 wood fairway drivers. I must admit that I am now used to seeing a square head at address on the tee but think it is time to try something else. I am not a massive hitter but can usually hit around 220 meters with some roll. It is a 10.5 with a reg flex standard shaft. My 5 wood is probably my strongest club, I hit it long and straight off the deck. I am certainly no low handicapper so the FT Tour may not be for me, that price is very good though. I will look for a cheap 905 and experiment. Thanks for the info guys

Thread Information