|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Swing speed, shaft etc

I used to golf a bunch when I was young and have started playing more this year. I am a mid-high hcap right now.

A few questions regarding swing speed and shaft choices.

My Swing speed with a 5 iron average around 90mph. Does swing speed change by club much?

I bought an R5 N 9.5 Stiff shaft. I had been hitting my father's R7 10.5 Regular and could hit it on solid shots ( no mishit hook or slice) about 270-280. I took my R5 out to the range and the longest I could hit it was 250ish. Would the stiff shaft make that big of a difference in distance? I seem to be a little less wild with the R5.

TIA,
    Christian

Maybe get your speed checked because that sounds a bit off. I have the R7 in the stock stiff. My speed with that setup is between 106-113 and I might get a 250-260 carry if I crush it, any additional depends on where it lands. Your speed with a driver should be considerably faster than a 5i and you should hit stiff shaft R5 further than a reg. R7. Also the R5 is a forgiving driver the R7 is not.

Are range balls poor enough to knock of 20 yards distance?

Whenever I tried the stiff shaft and regular of the same club I tended to be more accurate with the stiff club, but a good shot felt a bit better with the regular ( and wilder).

Why not play a casual round with dad when it's not too busy at the course and see how the difference is? I really don't know that an R flex should make it longer if your speed is high enough for a S. A S flex should make it more accurate but as I said the R5 and R7 are very different drivers.

I'll take it out on the course with my father and hit both this weekend. I'll get a chance to hit my new G2's as well! ;)

Swing speed and shaft flex do go hand in hand, but just because you swing X mph doesnt mean you should automatically play a stiff shaft and a regular shaft usually WILL give you more distance, but may tend to be less accurate. Shaft flex also depends on you swing STYLE. If you have a short and quick swing, Nick Price etc, then you may need a stiffer shaft. However if it is long and flowing and your transition from backswing to downswing is more fluid than violent than you would be fine with regular. I play regular shafts in my irons and the feel and control i get is awesome, that being said I play a graf blue stiff in my driver and that also works for ME.

Sure is a funny game isnt it.

Yes, range balls can knock 20 yards off your driver. If your using very low compression balls at your range, and then playing a harder compression ball in your round. If the range ball is like 60-70 compression and your using a harder distance ball thats around 100-110 compression it can influence your distance a good amount.
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

I actually recorded my swing yesterday. I had never seen it. My wife took a couple of small videos with our digital camera which she happened to have in her purse. I'll post them for your analysis. J/K

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1013
    Swing speed and shaft flex do go hand in hand, but just because you swing X mph doesnt mean you should automatically play a stiff shaft and a regular shaft usually WILL give you more distance, but may tend to be less accurate. Shaft flex also depends on you swing STYLE. If you have a short and quick swing, Nick Price etc, then you may need a stiffer shaft. However if it is long and flowing and your transition from backswing to downswing is more fluid than violent than you would be fine with regular. I play regular shafts in my irons and the feel and control i get is awesome, that being said I play a graf blue stiff in my driver and that also works for ME.

Sure is a funny game isnt it.

I would go for the S flex because your swing speed looks up to it anyway. S flex will also keep you on the fairwaya lot more often
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

"the R5 and R7 are very different drivers."

At least thats what Taylor MAde would like you to believe.

As for the real question. I strongly believe that how you load the shaft is more important than your swing speed. If you have a 100 mph swing, but it is smooth through transition at the top, then the R flex may indeed be longer. If you load it hard at the top, the the R flex would most likely lead to balloon shots.

Only way is to hit a few side bt side with the same type of ball to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG

As for the real question. I strongly believe that how you load the shaft is more important than your swing speed. If you have a 100 mph swing, but it is smooth through transition at the top, then the R flex may indeed be longer. If you load it hard at the top, the the R flex would most likely lead to balloon shots.

Only way is to hit a few side bt side with the same type of ball to know for sure.
    Tend to agree with you. I used to have a high swing speed but I swing straight thru. I find regular flex was more than good enough for me. Nowaday, I swing slower but I load up the shaft and I'm begining to find that I am ready to play firm shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG

I've hit both and they are quite different. I've never tried an R flex outside of the shop. I have tried a few drivers with S shafts soft tip made to get a higher launch. Big balloons. I made a crappy video of my swing just to check the basics. I have quite a bit of lag I guess as when my hands are just behind the ball the head is still somewhere around my waist.

Thread Information