|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Will It really make a difference?

I just got off the phone with a guy from Golfer's Warehouse where I bought my X18's from. I was telling him how I was diggin the heel of my club into the ground and it was kicking the clubface open and I was spraying shots right. He said it sounded like I needed to have them changed upright a couple of degrees. He said they would do it for free since I bought the clubs from them! My question is will it really hel that much, I am afraid it may end up making me worse. I am just starting to step up my game a liitle bit? My other questio n is he said they would bend them, now it seems to me that bending them would weaken the club, I don't want to be swinging the club then the next thing I know the ckub snap and break when I make my divot! any feedback would be great!!! thanks in advance
    Driver: Callaway 10° X460 Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Regular
    Fairway Wood: Callaway X Wood 15° Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Regular
    Hybrid: Callaway X 21° Uniflex Steel
    Irons: Callaway X-18's 4-PW Uniflex Steel
    Wedges: Callaway X Tour Wedges 50°, 56°, 60°PM
    Putter: 32.5" Callaway BJ2
    Ball: Callaway Big Bertha Blue or HX Tour

I Choose: To Be Better! Callaway A Better Game By Design!

From what I understand, the lie angle is a very important part of the fitting process and having the correct lie angle for your swing will make a great difference. I'd wait for some more solid responses from the great GR though. Plus, if he said they'll do it for free, I doubt he's just trying to push something on to you that you don't need.

If you bought them there the warranty should still apply if the bend them. They told me if they cracked my old Titleist blades it was on me so I said forget it. Did they give you and iron fitting before you bought them? Talk to Todd or Jeff, if you bought them new I think you are entitled to a free iron fitting first. I almost got my Miuras bent up 1* but now that I'm used to them they are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolfer
    I just got off the phone with a guy from Golfer's Warehouse where I bought my X18's from. I was telling him how I was diggin the heel of my club into the ground and it was kicking the clubface open and I was spraying shots right. He said it sounded like I needed to have them changed upright a couple of degrees. He said they would do it for free since I bought the clubs from them! My question is will it really hel that much, I am afraid it may end up making me worse. I am just starting to step up my game a liitle bit? My other questio n is he said they would bend them, now it seems to me that bending them would weaken the club, I don't want to be swinging the club then the next thing I know the ckub snap and break when I make my divot! any feedback would be great!!! thanks in advance
    If the heel is digging, and the guy you talked to said they should be bent upright, you should drive down to the store and punch him in the balls for not knowing what he's talking about. You need them flatter, not more upright.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd_Christmas3
    If the heel is digging, and the guy you talked to said they should be bent upright, you should drive down to the store and punch him in the balls for not knowing what he's talking about. You need them flatter, not more upright.
    Exactly what is was thinking. If they were to flat, you would be hitting the toe.

While Floydxmas...

Quote Originally Posted by Wadeisabeast
    Exactly what is was thinking. If they were to flat, you would be hitting the toe.
    is, as usual, way over the top(like her swing), what's more important to you is how do the people who sold you the clubs know it's the clubs and not your swing???

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    is, as usual, way over the top(like her swing)...
    HAHAHAHA - dude, this was so weak. Seriously. I am embarrased for you. Please do better, or don't try.

Are you standing up through the swing or starting off to upright perhaps? Maybe flexing the knees and bending at your waist more would help.(keep your spine straight). Just some thoughts.
    Do you have any problems with punching another man in the balls?

It made me laugh.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

I knew the guy on the phone didn't know what he was talking about! A fitter wasn't available,so no iwouldn't punch him in the balls, I would kick him in the balls instead! I was just more concerned with wether or not it would make a big difference, and if it could potentially hurt the clubs!
    Driver: Callaway 10° X460 Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Regular
    Fairway Wood: Callaway X Wood 15° Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Regular
    Hybrid: Callaway X 21° Uniflex Steel
    Irons: Callaway X-18's 4-PW Uniflex Steel
    Wedges: Callaway X Tour Wedges 50°, 56°, 60°PM
    Putter: 32.5" Callaway BJ2
    Ball: Callaway Big Bertha Blue or HX Tour

I Choose: To Be Better! Callaway A Better Game By Design!

its important for all irons and wedges and putters to be fitted w/o them being fitted to your liking shots are more prone to go off-line. ever since going to PING i have realized this. my suggestion is that you take the clubs to a local repair shop or to Callaway and have them bent. that is if you dint trust golf galaxy.

Yes, it could potentially break the head of the club, since it is cast not forged steel. Probably would be OK, but you never know for sure.

No offence bogeygolfer but you may be the one thats mistaken. Are you sure that the heel is digging into the ground and not the toe? Having the heel of your club dig into the ground would tend to cause a pull or hook, not a slice as you say. I think you should go to golf galaxy and take a few swings on a lie board to fix the problem. Altering the lie angle of a club to fit you will allow you to hit considerably better shots.

Too upright of lie angle causes shots to go left

Too flat a lie angle causes shots to go right

I'm talking about solid impact shots......this will tell you which you have. Shots that start in that direction & stay the course i.e. no fade or draw

If your heel is digging, your face will close. If your toe is digging, you face will open.

Hey BG, check your private message box.

Quote Originally Posted by pingguy
    Too upright of lie angle causes shots to go left

Too flat a lie angle causes shots to go right

I'm talking about solid impact shots......this will tell you which you have. Shots that start in that direction & stay the course i.e. no fade or draw

If your heel is digging, your face will close. If your toe is digging, you face will open.
    You're right.
    The quality of the advice one gets from salespeople at golf stores is extremely variable. Some sales reps are highly knowledgeable and helpful, and some are blithering idiots who like to hear their jaw rattle.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

What many here already said is correct:

Lie is too upright = heel hitting & digging first = pull left = need to flattened a degree or 2.

Lie is too flat = toe hitting & digging first = shot to the right = need to be adjusted upright.

To check your lie angle all they do is put some tape on the sole of your 6-iron and have you hit a ball off of a lie angle board which is like a plastic cutting board. Find something similar to this and test it for yourself. Maybe a thin board or even a piece of cardboard might help you get a general idea of what you need. For clubs with a good lie angle for you the mark left on the sole should be pretty well centered below the sweet spot.
    Last edited by SeldomInTheSlot; 06-03-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Did you go to Golfer's Whorehouse today?? The Callaway van was there from 10-4. I just happened to stop in so of course I stuck around for a driver fitting. Wanna hear a crazy combo. They recommended an FT-3 11* Draw driver with a 44" NV X-flex shaft. OK I'll get right on that one. I got a two pack of HX-hots and Hx-tours along with a cool drill to work on to hit a draw and widen out my path. I hope you made it over there, would have been ideal as they were doing iron and driver fittings on the launch monitor and the van was outside building custom clubs.

Having your clubs fit is very helpful. However, if you've played for a while, it might take some time to get used to clubs that are actually fitted for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd_Christmas3

BINGO! The guy was a moronic nimwhit.
    TM r5 TP Diamana 83
    Mizuno F-50 15*
    Cobra Baffler 20*
    Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
    Mizuno MP-T 52*
    Ping iWedge 56*
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Chrome 60* (pfft!)
    Cameron Circa 62 #2
    Mizuno Twister Staff Bag

Thread Information