|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

NS 950 shafts / MP60s

I presently have a set of MP60s with DYnaSL superlight shafts, Stiff flex. I currently love them.....

I recently traded in an old set of clubs I use at my vacation place for a second set of MP60s that I chose with NS950, stiff flex - chose these shafts due to their similar light weight, but don't know anything about them.

Just looking for feedback anyone would have on them, in general, or in comparison with other standard Dyanmic Gold or True temper shafts....

Will post my impressions soon on the diffenerces U feel with the shafts ( feel, trajectory, ease of play...)

Thanks

Well, I don't have experience with the NS 950's, but I do have the NS990 Uniflex shafts in my Callaway Hawk Eye's.

My previous experience was with my TaylorMade Supersteel Irons with Precision Rifle R-80 steel shafts, and I can honestly say that I like the feel of the Nippon shafts much better than the Rifle's.

My Hawk Eye's also came with Rifle 6.5's, which felt like hitting bricks with a bat, so it was a very pleasant change to swap them out for the 990's that I picked up used, pulled from the new Callaway BB Fusion irons.

Of course the Hawk Eye's have a very high trajectory, and the mid kickpoint of the NS990's didn't alter that at all... it's a very nice high flightpath that drops the ball and gives maybe 5 to 10 yards of roll on the long irons, and maybe a few feet on the short ones.

I think you'll really like them... so far every report I've come across of people using Nippon shafts have been very positive... they're not the #1 shaft in Japan for nothing. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by philfrance
    I recently traded in an old set of clubs I use at my vacation place for a second set of MP60s that I chose with NS950, stiff flex - chose these shafts due to their similar light weight, but don't know anything about them.

Just looking for feedback anyone would have on them, in general, or in comparison with other standard Dyanmic Gold or True temper shafts....
    The NS950's are great shafts. I have them in my backup set of Precept EC603 irons is R/S flex (between stiff and regular). Oddly enough, my wife prefers using this set over her women's set of clubs. The flex seems to be a little softer than comparable shafts, but I think they're great...not harsh, great feel throughout the swing. Hope it helps.

Nippon 950's are great shafts. They play just a bit soft to stated flex, but have a great feel without giving up control. Your stiff flex shafts will probably play to a firm regular, but they won't feel sloppy at all; just vibrant, in my experience.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I put in a set of stiff flex 950's in my current set of irons. Changed them from TT S200's. As the others have stated, they're about a half flex softer than stated. My impressions are that they definitely feel lighter and I could feel an increase in clubhead speed with them. Just as advertised, they feel almost like graphite shafts but still have the control of steel. I find that they have a higher ball flight than the S200's. I'm still getting used to them as the lighter weight has thrown off my timing/tempo a little bit but I'm finding that I have to have a smoother and slightly slower swing with them which has helped my accuracy. Overall, I would say they're a pretty good shaft but it takes a little time to get accustomed to them especially if you're used to using TT shafts. Very smooth feeling shaft. Hope this helps.

Hi I have a set of Titleist 704 CB Irons with a DG R300 shaft and a set of Titleist DCI 762 Irons with a DG R400 shaftI am contemplating a change to the Nippon for both any comments as to how much the dynamic of the clubs will change also the cost per shaft info would be appreciated

This thread.

is 3 years old.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Excuseme for askinga question then all i was trying to do is get information

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    This thread.

is 3 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by socal ladygolfer
    Excuseme for askinga question then all i was trying to do is get information
    Oops. I didn't realize you were a lady. Please excuse my rude behavior.

You may have more success creating your own thread, and asking the question there.

Hi I have a set of Titleist 704 CB Irons with a DG R300 shaft and a set of Titleist DCI 762 Irons with a DG R400 shaftI am contemplating a change to the Nippon for both any comments as to how much the dynamic of the clubs will change also the cost per shaft info would be appreciated
    aside from the fact that the thread is 3 years old, I think lady golfer in socal deserves an answer..

I think the Nippons are going to be about the same as the DG R400 with one exception-- they'll hit the ball slightly higher.

Me, I don't like them because I hit it high anyway, and strong lofts with firm shafts are my cure for that.. but for a lady who plays a lot, I think the NS950 in stiff is a great shaft. It will be R400 but the weight is only 95 grams (hence 950) so they might be a bit easier to swing than the dynamic gold shafts.. and they'll keep the clubhead moving through at a good pace for a bit more altitude..

it's a good choice as far as I'm concerned. I have a set of old blades that someone put new 950s in, and even tho I wouldn't play them because I need a bit stronger stuff, I still enjoy hitting them at the range.. they've got good pop and good feel, and since blades hit it low, that shaft suits them, brings the ball up a bit.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

daveperkins and golfaholic,

Thanks for the info and I will be going to a fitter after work on Monday and try the NS950.

Thanks again

The 950's are far lighter than the DG's; in the 90 gram range vs. 125-ish range. They are also mid kick vs. high kick for the DG's. They are more tip soft.
    Nippons will feel lighter and livelier than the DG's, and will tend toward a higher trajectory. I haven't checked prices lately, but they'd probably be 3-4X more expensive than the DG's, based on past experience.
    The DG's play to flex. The Nippon 950's play a bit soft to flex. The 1150's play closer to flex, but are designed for a more aggressive swing type.
    Basically, the shafts are far more different than they are alike, when you compare Nippon 950's to DG's.

dorkman,

Thanks for the info, and this does help when I go to a fitter tommorow after work

Okay, good luck.

Thank you very much

I am afraid to ask... if you are a ladygolfer, why steel shaft? Excuse my ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    I am afraid to ask... if you are a ladygolfer, why steel shaft? Excuse my ignorance
    I was also going to ask why STIFF, steel shafts, in what I remember those Titleist heads to be --Bricks on a stick.

However, what every works for you.

For PKY6471, thank you for the question re steel shaft, I have been using the DG R300and the DG R400 since I bought them and prior to that I have used DG S300 until about 5 yrs ago. I also score an avg of 85 from the white tees and have on occaision played from blue tees.

For Golfaholic, The shafts I currently use are R300 and R400 both DG and not stiff

I have a question, for both of you would you question a LPGA tour player in their shaft usage?

Thanks andI hope you dont take offense to my question.

Thanks,
    Socal Ladygolfer

why should I be offended? they are LPGA tour players... and if you could use st๊el shafts then more power to you *__*

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    why should I be offended? they are LPGA tour players... and if you could use st๊el shafts then more power to you *__*
    Flex and swingweight are going to be the same whether you're dealing with steel or graphite. I don't see the gender issue here. True, most women play with graphite, but there is no inherent reason they need to do so.

For PKY6471, thank you for the question re steel shaft, I have been using the DG R300and the DG R400 since I bought them and prior to that I have used DG S300 until about 5 yrs ago. I also score an avg of 85 from the white tees and have on occaision played from blue tees.

For Golfaholic, The shafts I currently use are R300 and R400 both DG and not stiff

I have a question, for both of you would you question a LPGA tour player in their shaft usage?

Thanks andI hope you dont take offense to my question.

Thanks,
    Socal Ladygolfer
    It's tough to offend me.

And I must have speed read your post, as I thought you were talking about S3 and 400 shafts, and the 755 heads.

Anyway, I was simply stating that S300 and S400 especially are not typically the shafts you would find in a female amatures bag. That combined with the (IMO) heavy heads that are the Titleist 755's, are both an interesting and unique club/shaft selection for a (semi?) knowledgeable female golfer.

Would I question an LPGA golfer on her shaft choice? No. Why? Because I'm sure she has tested everything out, and picked what worked best for her.

Thread Information