|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

TM R7 CGB Max v. Callaway Fusion Wide Sole

I am about to invest in a new set of clubs for a 45 year old, mid/high HC (18ish). I have hit several clubs and have narrowed it down the Tayor Made R7 CGB Max and the Callaway Fusion Wide Sole both with Graphite shafts.

I consistently hit the TM's about a club longer and the sales person at Golfsmith says this is consistent with what other customers have experienced. I have two questions:

1) Any opinions/experiences with either club?

2) The TM's I demoed had a "stiff" shaft and I hit them much more consistent that the "regular" shafted Fusions. The fusions seemed to go right most of the time. Swing speed was 120mph. Any thoughts on shaft stiffness?

Thanks for you help!!

Try the Fusion Wide Sole's in stiff, then compare. They are a real treat to hit. They are by far the easiest club out there, IMO. It sounds like you get more out of the TM's though, distance and accuracy. If that stays consistant, by all means go with those. A little extra distance would be good as I see you are getting a little up there in age (you're not old, that's not what I meant!!). Good luck and I'm sure you'll be thrilled with either set!

If you want to improve, stay away from these clubs. As an 18ish Hcp you are obviously capable, but those clubs are for the rich boy 30 handicap. Try the MX-23's from Mizuno and some other Game Improvement irons. If still unimpressed, then go for the irons you mentioned
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by emc
    If you want to improve, stay away from these clubs. As an 18ish Hcp you are obviously capable, but those clubs are for the rich boy 30 handicap. Try the MX-23's from Mizuno and some other Game Improvement irons. If still unimpressed, then go for the irons you mentioned

C'mon, thats just stupid to say. I use to think the same way. Demo clubs, find the one you hit the best and buy them. Simple as that.

PS - I had a set of MX-23's and hated them.

Aren't the Taylor Made lofts jacked up a bit more than most clubs, hence, the '1 club longer' that people experience?

Comparing iron # to iron # is pointless, as one should compare loft angle to loft angle to get an accurate distance comparison.
    If you want to get the biggest ego boost out of using a strong lofted club to say that the _____ iron goes farther, then get Nickent's new iron line with the carbon fiber back, as they are boosted 4-5* stronger than today's already jacked up standards.

Either club is definitley in the Mercedes category of golf clubs, pricewise.
    Might be better off, finding a 'Lexus' or 'Acura' that will do the job as good, for less $$$.

Slingshot OSS are between $550-$599 new, and are silly easy to hit. But you won't get the luxury of saying your 8 iron goes 160. ;)

Thread Information