|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Range to Course??????

It's driving me absolutely nuts. I go to the range and hit the ball beautiful and two days later I'm at the course duck hooking everything again. I play to a 12.2 index so I've got a pretty good idea of what's causing this but I can't cure it. Any words of wisdom on how to get it from the range to the course??

Tuesday was so bad I was duck hooking even my wedges. Went to the range on Wednesday and hit a large bucket of balls. Hit them great. Had the occasional draw but no duck hooks with anything. Played again today and even though the duck hooks were less, they were still there.

For me I think that on the range there is no pressure. When I'm on the course I always put pressure on myself to hit a good shot, even when I'm playing all alone.
    FEA

I went through that exact thing last year, and unfortunately I don't have a sound answer. Eventually I worked through it. Things that may have helped was simply to concentrate more on relaxing, I also took a week off altogether. I think probably the best thing I did was stop going to the range, or I should say I better spent that time on the greens and not hitting balls. I would simply tense up mainly on the tee in dread of the potential outcome. Needless to say it usually resulted in the outcome I expected. It lasted about a month for me.

Up until this year I would never waggle the club, but starting doing it this year with my driver and if nothing else it puts the thought in my head to relax. I then begin my backswing immediately after the waggle which does not allow me time to think of all the bad stuff. Since doing so my driver is really coming around and may be better than ever before.

maybe you just suck?

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    maybe you just suck?
    Lyle,
    I have been of the impression that I really have no respect for you, but simply gave you the benefit of the doubt in the past, and kept it to myself. Thank you for clearing this up, and leaving no doubt in my mind what I truly think of you.

Why thank you, now I can move on with my life.

Tool

I agree with Jay, Lyle your a dck smoker. I've been reading your posts the past few days and everything is sarcastic or just rude. You contribute absolutley nothing when you speak. You're about as useless as Tucan.

Thanks for the positive remarks guys. I'll eventually work through it. As far as LyleG goes he's probably a charter member of the RSG. One good thing LyleG, I will eventually work through this, you will always be an idiot!!!

Everyone has those days. I have rounds where I can slice a putter. Sometimes going to the range too much can be a bad thing for me too. I just try to play is much as I can while I'm swinging good. The other day I shot an 84 and my driver was good, I stuck around till dark and played 27. I find it helps to shoot for a target too. I start getting off when I just swing for a general area vs. a target.

wondering that too

I have the same problem.

The range work put in has made my swing much better. Heck I get loads of complements...BUT

I can't translate it to the course. I know it is all mental. Becuase I know that fundamentally my swing is sound. But then either by getting nervous, or from fatigue or whatever, I'll have a series of holes that wrecks an otherwise acceptable (by my standards) round.

When I go back and analyze my round I always find 4 or 5 holes all with triples or een higher where i just completely broke down...everything else is par or Bogey.

oh well...just have to keep playing becuase I think that is the only way it will or can get better....the range only helps you learn how to swing, not how to hit golf shots.
    [B]Vive Golf..[/B]

For most people it isn't that they CAN'T bring it to the course, its just that they refuse to. When you get on the course, you're so focused on hitting a good shot, and so horrified about hitting a bad one, you don't even give the stuff you tried on the range a shot.

You may think you are, but most of the time this is just a tensed up half version of what you were doing on the range. Don't worry if you hit a bad shot, try what you did on the range, relax, and good results will come.
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Another issue is hitting off mats vs. a real course lie. A lot of my bad shots come from making a poor club/shot selection for the lie. There is only one course I play where the fairways are actually in good enough shape to be a similar lie to a mat. I would rather practice off grass. My optimal choice for practice during the season is actually to slap on some mosquito repellant and practice on the course at twilight rates.

The other problem with mats is that it is very hard to hit a fat shot off a mat. You just cant dig into carpet. So slight mishits behind the ball are fixed by the club bouncing forward. This doesnt work as well on grass.

I am currently finding it the other way around, the shots on the course are good but I cant do anything on the range.

I havent been to the range as much as I used to over the last 2-3 years and think a lot is down to my tempo. Once the range I really struggle to keep my tempo (unless hitting into a net) and find I am too worrid about where the ball goes/how far etc rather than making a quality strike. I am always pushed for time. I know that if I concentrate on the tempo all this would fall into place, but I only seem to find it on the course. Wierd.

Thread Information