|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Shaft weight in your driver & woods?

This sort of ties into the steel shafted threads a bit, but I was curious what weight do most of you guys prefer in your driver and/or wood shafts?

Most of the popular, component shafts are usually in the 65g range, and I would imagine once they are cut to size, fall somewhere in the 60g range.

I have also noticed some OEM shafts are < 60g.
    Mactetc NVG2, Cobra Speed, FT-3, some of the SQ's.

Is this a way for manufacturer's to get their customer's swing speeds higher?

Do you prefer your wood shafts to be heavier than your driver?

I used to prefer as light as possible in the driver. I also used to really whip the club a la Sergio with very long and very unpredictable results. Now I'm using a 75 gram shaft and a less whippy swing with better balance.
    I prefer the fairwood shafts to be heavier than the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfx811
    Is this a way for manufacturer's to get their customer's swing speeds higher?

Do you prefer your wood shafts to be heavier than your driver?
    I have generally found that I can swing a lighter graphite shaft faster, although it is usually at the expense of control, and tempo.

I prefer lighter shafts on my driver, although the weight of the head needs to be taken into consideration. A lighter shaft will not neccesarily give me a lighter club or different swing weight, in comparison to the FW. Although once I start talking about swing weights, I am probably in over my head. I currently use a NV65 and it is probably the lightest shaft that I would care to use. I may be better suited with a heavier shaft, although since I am finally hitting my driver well, I doubt I will test out that theory.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk
    I have generally found that I can swing a lighter graphite shaft faster, although it is usually at the expense of control, and tempo.

I prefer lighter shafts on my driver, although the weight of the head needs to be taken into consideration. A lighter shaft will not neccesarily give me a lighter club or different swing weight, in comparison to the FW. Although once I start talking about swing weights, I am probably in over my head. I currently use a NV65 and it is probably the lightest shaft that I would care to use. I may be better suited with a heavier shaft, although since I am finally hitting my driver well, I doubt I will test out that theory.

I've got an 83g in my driver and 3 wood. I keep them the same so I'm not dealing with one lighter and whippier shaft with the driver, and then something more stiff with the 3 wood.

i am looking to replace my shaft for this very reason. right now i am playing the MAS2 at 55g, Stiff, Tip Soft. the 55g is to light as i dont need any more distance (the 5 extra yards is not worth the feel i get from this shaft) i am looking for a 65g-80g shaft hope i find it before next week (going on a golfing vacation )

I reccomend a quick trip to your local golf store and seeing what works best for you in that weight. I don't think it'll cost you any more than 140 total.

I had an aldila NV 85 S on my last driver Cobra 454 and did not like it that much I kept losing everything to the right.

I now have a NV 65 S on my SQ Tour and the combo seems to work well.

I feel as if I can now keep my hands quick enough to get through the ball where it was lagging a little with the 85.
    Sticks:

Nike SQ Tour 9.5* Aldila NV65S
    Sonartec 15* SS-3
    Cobra Baffler 20* Steel Stiff
    Ping G2 3-PW
    Cleveland 588 Gun Metal 51* + 56*
    Taylor Made Rossa Monza
    Padron 1926 Aniversario :-)

"I have seen better swings on a condemned Playground" Bob Hope

It depends on the size/weight of the head.

I have an NV75s in my Innovex driver that I hit well. I had a NV65s in another driver that I did not like until I slapped some lead tape blew the grip and above the hosel.

I also have an SMT O2 VS-O2 that weighs out right around 75g and am waiting delivery of a Titlest 905s with stock Speeder (right around 76) that I just killed in a demo the other day.

Thread Information