|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Wonder why Wie didn't try to qualify in Hawaii?

Ten players for one slot in Hawaii, a 15 year old amateur boy wins the qualifying slot (not hearing much about him are we?). Wonder why Wie was where she was? It was close to NYC, ie MEDIA. They could give her wall to wall coverage on ESPN and other media outlets. Plus consider the time the rounds were played. In Hawaii when would the last round be played? Yes, not in the time of day when the masses in mainland could keep up with it. So, one may ask, why not Hawaii? I venture to guess it was all about MARKETING. Mr. Wie, William Morris Agency, and Nike choose where she would play to maximize marketing, ie publicity. If Michelle really wanted to play in the Open she should have played at home, in Hawaii IMHO. Did the Wie's, William Morris and Nike get what they wanted? Yes, they got maximum publicity exposure by effectively lieing to and useing a 16 year old kid. She, Michelle, is too young and naive to see what it was all about.

If this is as it appears then it is truely shocking! Wie must have a better chance of getting in playing against nobodies at a course she would know. She should sack her manager/advisors forthwith. Oh.......

Just remember a Murphy's Law I have found applies repeatedly:

"Whatever they say they are talking about, they are talking about money".

Wie's attempt to qualify was a media circus. They should have had Michael Jackson, Brad Pitt, and Hillary Clinton there to add to the uproar....

Yes, her handlers would have liked for her to qualify. But it was even more important to create publicity, followed by more publicity....
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by GoMocs
    Ten players for one slot in Hawaii, a 15 year old amateur boy wins the qualifying slot (not hearing much about him are we?). Wonder why Wie was where she was? It was close to NYC, ie MEDIA. They could give her wall to wall coverage on ESPN and other media outlets. Plus consider the time the rounds were played. In Hawaii when would the last round be played? Yes, not in the time of day when the masses in mainland could keep up with it. So, one may ask, why not Hawaii? I venture to guess it was all about MARKETING. Mr. Wie, William Morris Agency, and Nike choose where she would play to maximize marketing, ie publicity. If Michelle really wanted to play in the Open she should have played at home, in Hawaii IMHO. Did the Wie's, William Morris and Nike get what they wanted? Yes, they got maximum publicity exposure by effectively lieing to and useing a 16 year old kid. She, Michelle, is too young and naive to see what it was all about.

This post belongs in a folder marked "idiotic"

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    This post belongs in a folder marked "idiotic"
    Why? Ok he may be laying it on a bit thick with the conspiracy theory but why on Earth wouldn't you want to qualify in your home town against markedly inferior opposition?

It would be different if a tour pro had gone to Hawaii looking for an easy field to beat but it is Wie's home!! Take off the blinkers for a moment and just see how ridiulous it is if your aim was to qualify for the US Open, if she had another motive then what was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Singsling
    Why? Ok he may be laying it on a bit thick with the conspiracy theory but why on Earth wouldn't you want to qualify in your home town against markedly inferior opposition?

It would be different if a tour pro had gone to Hawaii looking for an easy field to beat but it is Wie's home!! Take off the blinkers for a moment and just see how ridiulous it is if your aim was to qualify for the US Open, if she had another motive then what was it?
    Maybe because it would interfere with her playing the LPGA major thats taking place this week. She said all along she wasnt going to Hawaii because it would screw up her schedule.
    She is doing what all you whiners want and playing on the Womens tour this wek and you still find a reason to rag her. What a bunch of morons.

Maybe because it would interfere with her playing the LPGA major thats taking place this week. She said all along she wasnt going to Hawaii because it would screw up her schedule.
    She is doing what all you whiners want and playing on the Womens tour this wek and you still find a reason to rag her. What a bunch of morons.
    So bad advice then. You can't have it all ways, either try (and really try) to qualify for the US Open at the venue where you have the best chance or play in the LPGA event. I and many others cannot take this seriously because of how transparent a marketing excercise it is, if you can't see that then I have a bridge in Brooklyn going cheap.

And why a 16 year old could not play in Hawaii then take a single flight to the LPGA event I do not know, Ernie Els and others manage to do it all the time.

Not ragging her, but her "handlers".....sad that a 16 year old has handlers also. The point is that she is being used to maximize money for her family and assorted companies. She is too young and immature to see this. This is not saying she does not have unlimited talent and is not a great player for a kid her age, but that her parents are using her and allowing her to be used.
    Last edited by GoMocs; 06-08-2006 at 06:01 AM.

Plain and simple

she's too good to for the player who tried to qualify there. Ya see, Michelle wants to beat the best, so why not try to qualify for a men's US Open where the better players are? That way if she did happen to qualify, she could say how she had the option to qualify in Hawaii but wanted to beat the better competition.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMocs

Duds, you really dont need to be commenting on this topic seeing as how everyone made you look like an ******* in your last thread about this.
    GOULET!!!

God, some of you need to think a little more before you type.

Riddle me this batman. If this was all about marketing and promoting Michelle, she would definately have gone to Hawaii and tried to qualify because she most likely would have got in that way. So why didnt she if its as you say, all about marketing?

Michelle had already commited to the LPGA major. a major she played well in last year, and has a good chance of winning this year. Flying for 9 hours in each direction would pretty much elimate any chance she has of winning the LPGA major. Just look at Ernie's record following long flights and you will see, it simply doesnt work.
    Michelle is simply doing what she said she would.

While this did bring up a few points, has anyone ever thought of the reverse angle? Promotion for the LPGA. The women's open is coming here to my state, I know I am far more likely to attend if Wie is in it.

oh they did? lol, good one junior.

i could care less how people respond to my opinion, obviously i'm nto the onyl one who feels the way i do about her situation.

dont you have study hall to attend now?

Quote Originally Posted by PHSgolfguy
    Duds, you really dont need to be commenting on this topic seeing as how everyone made you look like an ******* in your last thread about this.

God, some of you need to think a little more before you type.

Riddle me this batman. If this was all about marketing and promoting Michelle, she would definately have gone to Hawaii and tried to qualify because she most likely would have got in that way. So why didnt she if its as you say, all about marketing?

Michelle had already commited to the LPGA major. a major she played well in last year, and has a good chance of winning this year. Flying for 9 hours in each direction would pretty much elimate any chance she has of winning the LPGA major. Just look at Ernie's record following long flights and you will see, it simply doesnt work.
    Michelle is simply doing what she said she would.
    Which is better for marketing right now? Trying to qualify against a tough field such as Mark OMeara and either making it or not making it? Or staying in Hawaii and possibly losing to a 15 year old boy or if she did make it then going to the Open after people saying she only had to beat a 15 year old boy then getting to the Open and coming nowhere near the cut? No, this was all about the playing on Monday.

So why didnt she if its as you say, all about marketing?
    So what was it about? Any sounnd advice would be to pick one goal, achieve it then move on, Wie has attempted a lot but not really achieved much. There is no doubt in my mind that she could but there is no-one there saying 'win an LPGA event then we'll do this..' or 'lets qualify for the US Open and then we'll win on the LPGA...'. The marketers have invested 10 Million plus in her so far, even if you think we are all women hating monsters at least realise that they want a return for their money.

And Ernie won or finished top three over three continents in three weeks two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    oh they did? lol, good one junior.

i could care less how people respond to my opinion, obviously i'm nto the onyl one who feels the way i do about her situation.

dont you have study hall to attend now?
    What makes you better than PHSGolfguy? On the contrary, he has been here more than a year and I would respect his opinion much more than yours. Consider this a warning
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

She tried to qualify in NY for the simple reason that it gave her a chance of winning at Bulle Rock this week. Now, after spending more than a week in NY, she has gotten used to the conditions and weather etc. You guys are just looking to bash her.
    My set:
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red

All she needs to do is get her putting where rest of her swing is and she'll be able to compete anywhere, any league. Maybe she should hire Dave Pelz. I have watched her few times and most of the time, it has come down to putting with her.

Quote Originally Posted by xender
    All she needs to do is get her putting where rest of her swing is and she'll be able to compete anywhere, any league. Maybe she should hire Dave Pelz. I have watched her few times and most of the time, it has come down to putting with her.
    Without a doubt. Fix her putter and all the naysayers will be so quiet you will hear a pin drop.

maybe SHE needs a Hi-Bore. Little late into the joke but better late than never ???

She had a commitment before and after qualifying both on the East Coast. It made painful sense for her to qualify on the course she chose. I read an article before hand explaining her options, she toook one of the tougher ones IMO, it was no cake walk of a Field that's for sure.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

I just like all the hype...er marketing...er whatever the hell you wanna call it but she is proving all of us "winers" right and that she cant handle the pressure. Granted, its only the first day of the tourney, but she isint even under par.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Driver-Nike SQ
    2I- Ping Eye 2
    3-PW-Palmer Blades
    Cleveland GW,SW, LW
    Putter- Odessey Rosie
    HCP- 6.8[/COLOR]

Without a doubt. Fix her putter and all the naysayers will be so quiet you will hear a pin drop.
    What player does this not apply to? If Morgan Pressel didn't have 37 putts today she would have done this, and if blah, blah, blah,

I know LyleG likes to argue the other side of any story, but this was publicity at it's finest, with Michelle taking the beating, not her PR guys, I am not a big fan of this Wie trying to qualify, because it is not fair to the other people, namely the 15 year old that did qualify, oh wait, in Hawaii,

I think Michelle Wie's father is trying to be Earl Wood's, but he needs to wait a few more years,

By getting birdies on 3 of the last 4 holes, she got to within 7 shots of the leader today.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I never said i was better than him, so take a break pal

a warning? ooooohhhhhh i am so scared!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by emc
    What makes you better than PHSGolfguy? On the contrary, he has been here more than a year and I would respect his opinion much more than yours. Consider this a warning

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber
    I am not a big fan of this Wie trying to qualify, because it is not fair to the other people, namely the 15 year old that did qualify, oh wait, in Hawaii,

Yep, this makes a lot of sense. God, it amazing how a 16 year old girl has the ability to draw so many idiots of of their caves.

BTW she is now 4 under after 10.

She's doing pretty well now, -5 or something. I suppose if she wins this event people will complain that, as she is not a meber of the LPGA, she shouldn't play in the event.
    My set:
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red

Yep, this makes a lot of sense. God, it amazing how a 16 year old girl has the ability to draw so many idiots of of their caves.

BTW she is now 4 under after 10.
    Listen little Canadian, let me explain it in little kiddy terms, the 15 year old boy qualified in Hawaii, and became the youngest player to do so since, someone did it at 14 years of age in 1941, so to make the point even simpler for little LyleG (the one upper guy, who will argue anything), Michelle Wie was afraid of losing the qualifiy bid to a 15 year old boy in Hawaii and losing all the publicity to Fujikawa or whatever his name is.

Listen little Canadian, let me explain it in little kiddy terms, the 15 year old boy qualified in Hawaii, and became the youngest player to do so since, someone did it at 14 years of age in 1941, so to make the point even simpler for little LyleG (the one upper guy, who will argue anything), Michelle Wie was afraid of losing the qualifiy bid to a 15 year old boy in Hawaii and losing all the publicity to Fujikawa or whatever his name is.

You total moron. She wasnt afarid of losing anything, she had prior commitments. She had said all along her one shot was in NY.
    You can bash Wie and her handlers all you want, but at least try and use actual facts and issues when doing so. Try not to let your fear of the opposite sex get the best of you, OK.

She's doing pretty well now, -5 or something. I suppose if she wins this event people will complain that, as she is not a meber of the LPGA, she shouldn't play in the event.
    Why would we complain? I don't think anyone here has anything against Wie, I certainly do not, nor do I have any problem about the best players playing together regardless of gender. The arguement is way more nuanced than simply men vs women, something I think you are overlooking.

. Try not to let your fear of the opposite sex get the best of you, OK.
    It is sort of weird when you use this line..... methinks you protest too much.

Again, put simply for you.....

Wei's handlers set her schedule, they must have known about the qualifier in Hawaii in advance, if not they should be sacked.

If the idea was to get into the US Open by far the most straightforward chance would be to give up one of the commitments either side of that Monday and play the final qualifier in Hawaii.

One of the reasons for her not to do that is precisely what is being suggested, ie that an honourable failure in a tough field is a much better marketing opportunity than a loss to a field of only ten nobodies which would have been a PR disaster.

Wie is a fantastic golfer, maybe a one of a kind, but she is also much more than that and has surrounded herself with corporate marketing types and has taken her pieces of silver, decisions are being made which do not seem to be in the interests of her development as a golfer over the long term. It is that which makes me feel uncomfortable about the selling of a young girl, not the fact that she is female.

Wei's handlers set her schedule

And you know this how?

How can you be so sure that Michelle doesnt decide a lot of what she wants to do?

Simply put, you dont.

The qualifier and the LPGA major are in the same state. This makes perfect sense that this is the way she would do this. Instead of thinking she didnt want to lose to a weak field in the qualifier, did it ever occur to you that she honestly believed she could qualify in the tough one?

And you know this how?

How can you be so sure that Michelle doesnt decide a lot of what she wants to do?

Simply put, you dont.

The qualifier and the LPGA major are in the same state. This makes perfect sense that this is the way she would do this. Instead of thinking she didnt want to lose to a weak field in the qualifier, did it ever occur to you that she honestly believed she could qualify in the tough one?
    I am well into my forties and take advice all the time from people who are more experienced than I. Do you really believe that she is making her own decisions when investors are already into her for more than ten million dollars, if she is do you think it is appropriate?

If she thought she could qualify in that field she was just plain WRONG, it was a bad golfing decision, if she made it it was a bad decision by her which is why I am concerned that she is being given wrong advice by people who wish to get a return on their investment.

Do you really believe that she is making her own decisions when investors are already into her for more than ten million dollars, if she is do you think it is appropriate?
    If she thought she could qualify in that field she was just plain WRONG, it was a bad golfing decision, if she made it it was a bad decision by her which is why I am concerned that she is being given wrong advice by people who wish to get a return on their investment.
    Well according to a show I saw on Wie, she indeed sets her own play schedule.
    I fail to see what was so wrong about trying to qualify where she did. She finished middle of the pack, ahead of quite a few former and current tour players. She also missed 9 birdie putts inside of 15 feet, a few of those go and she most likely makes it. Analysts who were there said that her ball stiking tee to green was among the best in the field. So I really dont believe your argument holds water.

I cant help but think this is all sour grapes, and for the life of me, dont know why so many people feel so strongy about it.

well ill tell you why...I for one am jealous. I have been playing for a long time and still have no where near the talent...lol I think most people on the discussion are in agreement that her playing in the Mens US Open in and of itself is not bad or wrong. Practically speaking, you would think, that one should be dominant in their own league before jumping to the next. Again not saying she cannot do it but its a slap in the face to everyone on the LPGA. There is a reason that it is the LPGA and not the PGA. Wie trying to get into a mens major without even a win on the LPGA is like saying that the LPGA is not good enough for her. IMHO most people are jealous and feel they must vent about it...I am one of those.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Driver-Nike SQ
    2I- Ping Eye 2
    3-PW-Palmer Blades
    Cleveland GW,SW, LW
    Putter- Odessey Rosie
    HCP- 6.8[/COLOR]

I'm just going to throw this out there...
    Couldn't the argument be made that it would be easier to make it through sectional qualifying at a venue where more than 1 spot is available? If one guy is on fire and shoots a pair of 64's, your pair of 65's gets you nothing.

Horseballs,

Be very careful, valid points and lucid thoughts are not very welcome here.

dont forget opinions either...

Horseballs,

Opinions are very welcome except when they come from short bus riding mental midgets like yourself.

Horseballs,

I guess I'm just tired of this topic. Let's all breathe in deep....
    Now let it out.
    Next topic! Maybe I'll post a thread about how brush tees are threatening to make the game too easy...

well i feel the same about yours.

i love tough guys who hide behind the computer.

Opinions are very welcome except when they come from short bus riding mental midgets like yourself.

Hey I'm relaxed. LyleG is the one who gets all bent out of shape when you dont agree with him.

I could give a rats ass if someone doesnt agree with my opinion.

Whats that saying, opinions are like a-holes, and LyleG is one? or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Now let it out.
    Next topic! Maybe I'll post a thread about how brush tees are threatening to make the game too easy...

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Hey I'm relaxed. LyleG is the one who gets all bent out of shape when you dont agree with him.
    I could give a rats ass if someone doesnt agree with my opinion.
    Whats that saying, opinions are like a-holes, and LyleG is one? or something like that
    Well I would venture a wild guess and say that unless you are wearing a pillow case for a hat or live on a mountain side in Virginia that your opinion would be deemed pretty much useless.

Wow

that was a good one Lyle....I cant believe you came up with that one so quickly

Well I would venture a wild guess and say that unless you are wearing a pillow case for a hat or live on a mountain side in Virginia that your opinion would be deemed pretty much useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Now let it out.
    Are brush tees that good? just curious, never used one.

You total moron. She wasnt afarid of losing anything, she had prior commitments. She had said all along her one shot was in NY.
    You can bash Wie and her handlers all you want, but at least try and use actual facts and issues when doing so. Try not to let your fear of the opposite sex get the best of you, OK.

Talk about not getting their facts, the qualifier and the LPGA Championship are not in the same state, NJ then Maryland, and you better believe that Wie's dad was scared of that 15year old boy who qualified, think how deflating to Wie it would have been to lose to him, which she probably would've.

Are all Canadians, as pompous as you, every topic you will argue some aimless point to try and make other people feel inferior to the all knowledgable LyleG, it is called Uniqueness Phenomenon, are you teenager, just asking because that is when most people go through that phase of life.

yawn, so they are in neighbouring states, its still a hell of a lot more convenient that going to Hawaii.

I am also glad to know, that you know, just how Michelle and her Dad think.

On a side notr, you voted for Bush didnt you?
    Last edited by LyleG; 06-09-2006 at 01:20 PM.

yawn.

I am glad to know, that you know just how Michelle and her Dad think.

You voted for Bush didnt you?
    Yep, but you can hold on to that tree a little harder, TREEHUGGER, in Canada? strange,
    Of course, you wouldn't know anything about a Democracy seeing as Canada is a confederacy.

Here's a thought, What would LyleG do if everyone posted an agreement to whatever he stated? LyleG would turncoat and still argue the point he just scrutinized.

I love how you see the need to get all American on me. Too funny.

As for changing my stance, not going to happen. You just cant seem to deal with a girl competeing against men. That is the real issue for you. And to think a guy who calls himself Bomber would think I have insecurity issues. Good grief.

PS - you and duds arent brothers are you?

I am not bothered by Wie trying to qualify, what bothers me is, the fact that they ducked Fujikawa,

Fujikawa who is 15 and 5 ft 1 inch, would have beaten her, what would that say to the rest of the morons like you who oogle over her, let alone her losing to real pga pro's,

Isn't Wie 6 ft 1 inch. hmmm,

I am not bothered by Wie trying to qualify, what bothers me is, the fact that they ducked Fujikawa,

Fujikawa who is 15 and 5 ft 1 inch, would have beaten her, what would that say to the rest of the morons like you who oogle over her, let alone her losing to real pga pro's,

Isn't Wie 6 ft 1 inch. hmmm,
    How do you know that Fujikawa would have beaten Wie? Nobody knows on the day and I think everyone agrees (except Lyle of course ) that Michelle had a better chance at qualifying in Hawaii, but hindsight is 20/20
    My set:
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red

LyleG, Duds. I think both of your vaginas have gotten a tad bit sandy. Just scoop it all out and you'll be fine
    My set:
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red

Fujikawa who is 15 and 5 ft 1 inch, would have beaten her
    Anything else you and you're crytal ball care to share?

I also dont understand the height issue, unless there is a slam dunk competition afterwards that I am unaware of.

As for oogling, I just believe the girl is a great player who every right to play where ever she wants, and is allowed. She is 16 years old and will no doubt be a superstar on the LPGA. Its all the bitterness from people like you that I dont get. It is both pointless and undeserved.

How do you know that Fujikawa would have beaten Wie? Nobody knows on the day and I think everyone agrees (except Lyle of course ) that Michelle had a better chance at qualifying in Hawaii, but hindsight is 20/20
    I agree 100%. I think if she would have gone to Hawaii she would have qualified for sure. It just wasnt part of her schedule, so it didnt happen.

LyleG, Duds. I think both of your vaginas have gotten a tad bit sandy. Just scoop it all out and you'll be fine
    I call this FIRST HAND EXPERT advice. Thanks

Wie might have beaten Fujikawa, but it shows the fear, i.e. respect that Wie gave Fujikawa not to show in Hawaii.

The height issue is this, Wie is built like an average teenage boy, where as Fujikawa is built like the average teenage girl, meaning a whole lot of better women than Wie, (Sorenstam, Ochoa, Creamer, Pressel) could have had a better chance to qualify. Wie does not care about qualifing just publicity, or should i say, her handlers dont care

Holy crap, you are a bigger idiot than even I suspected.

The only fear I sense is coming from you in regards to your own manhood. And imo, is it highly warrented.

Holy crap, you are a bigger idiot than even I suspected.

The only fear I sense is coming from you in regards to your own manhood. And imo, is it highly warrented.

Yep, just as I thought, your a teenager

why on Earth wouldn't you want to qualify in your home town against markedly inferior opposition
    Ok, I throw another opinion into this BS rant, If she tried to qualify in Hawaii and lost it would have been a total failure for Nike and this media circus her father is pimping her out for.

If she plays in NY and doesn't qualify, (as she did) she lost to a number of seasoned tour players and can say she played well and beat X number of guys in the field (like most of her camp said immediately after the 3 bogeys on the back).

If she lost to 15 nobodies in Hawaii - there is no excuse.

I'll buy the LPGA major angle and that she didn't want to travel blah, blah blah.

But you know if and when she chokes this Sunday, the story will be that none of the other women played 36 holes against the guys on Monday, blah, blah, blah - another built in excuse in case she blows it again on Sunday.

The situation gets Wie Inc. the most exposure without her having to win anything - pretty much what her pro career has been to this point anyway.

Win Michelle, and prove us all wrong - until then you are just a side-show that draws a huge crowd (at least until the back nine on Sunday).

Very good angle. I never thought of it like that
    My set:
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red

I'm sure she was tired from US Open qualifying also. Her putter fell apart their too.
    There it is - from the Wie Choked Thread

Thread Information