|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

cut down driver?!

ive had some "trouble" controlling my driver....to say the least....so i was wondering if cutting 1or2 inches off would make much of a difference??? or would it jus mess w/ the lie angle?? SS=95-100 if it makes anydifference.....

What do you mean by "controlling" the driver? Like trouble keeping it in the swing path or something?

You'd probably hit it straighter, but also much shorter. Cutting 2 inches would make the shaft play stiffer than it currently does, and your trajectory would be much lower. The shaft would also be much lighter, which could be good (relatively easier to swing) or bad (less "feel" for where the club is during the swing). It's up to you whether the accuracy/distance tradeoff is worth it, but cutting 2" is pretty extreme.

how much dist. do you think would be lost??? would it turn into about 3wood dist? and what if it was only 1 inch off??

Why don't you start by simply choking down 1" on the driver and see what happens. It may tell you a little more about what may result. Not sure what the current shaft length is but I would guess 2" may be a little extreme and you may be looking for new shaft because of how much it will change, assuming you are at least happy with the current feel of the club. Although they do make extenders that allow you to go back, I know a few people that simply choke down and as they gain control they work back up. You mentioned your speed but not the shaft and loft that you currently have on the driver. Which may be the reason you are having problems with control as well, specifically if the shaft is to flexible, or to little loft.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk
    Why don't you start by simply choking down 1" on the driver and see what happens.
    I agree with that 100%. When I started playing, my dad taught me that when I wasn't hitting anything good with the driver to choke down on it some. I still do it today when things aren't going good or on tight fairways when I need control and accuracy. Give it a shot before you do any cutting. Once you start hitting it good like that, try moving back up the grip. May save some good money in the long run.

I need my irons 1/2" short, and choking up does NOT work. I don't know if it throws off the weight or balance or what, but I definitely don't get the same results. I believe that the distance loss on a shorter driver is very exaggerated. An inch will probably lose 5 yds at the most. If you think about it, there is about a 20 yd difference between a 3 and a 5 iron. Most of that difference is because of the difference of loft(8*), but there is a 1" difference in length.

stiff prolaunch...10.5....any suggestions if i should change or no? and if so to what?

cut it down to 44 1/2" if you are struggling

I'm not sure what your current length is, but most pros use drivers shorter than retail. Tiger was using a 43.5 inch driver when he won the slam and could still hit fairways.

You will lose distance in theory, but you may make up for that lost distance by striking the ball on the sweetspot more and hitting more fairways.

I cut all my drivers down to 44 inches.

Cheers

Steve
    [SIZE="1"]Taylormade R7 425
    TM R5 3 wood
    Nike Slingshot hybrids
    Callaway Fusion irons
    Solus Wedges
    Cameron Red X2[/SIZE]

With that shaft and loft combo I'm guessing that you hit the ball quite high. Ask your pro and get his opinion before you do anything drastic
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

43.5"

I've cut my 983K 11.5* UST Pro 75 Stiff to 43.5", hoping that'll help in hitting more FWs. And it did, but not by much, 'cause it's my swing mechanics that needs the work.
    When i hit it flush, i've not noticed much change in distance from either lengths.
    Does helps me, mentally, to know that it's supposed to be easier to control.
    Other than needing to improve my swing (to more sweeps, less steeps), which is 99%, I think i could use a 9.5* loft. And my other swing thought is that maybe a Regular Flex may help me square the club better.

Then again, I know it's my swing fundamentals...99.9% that need the work, not my driver, as a decent contactgives me 250 yards, and that's plenty good.

(yes, I'll be seeing my teaching pro, as soon as I'm back in town)
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

i cut my shaft 1/2 an inch..
    Titleist 983K 9.5* Stiff YS-6
    Taylormade V-Steel 15* 3 Stiff
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19* Stiff
    Titleist 695 mb's 3-PW Stiff
    Titleist Oil Can 52* Stiff
    Titist Oil Can 56* Stiff
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 34' Std.

Thread Information