|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Best balls for under $20

I am thinking of playing with a consistent ball now that I am in the 80's. I want a soft ball with fairly good distance, and excesive spin is not a necessity. I was thinking of purchasing a few dozen of Wilson i-wound on clearance at the local sports store, I can get 3 dozen for $25. I can alzo get Nike One golds for $19.99. Does anybody have a good ball in mind?

The Precept Laddie Xtreme is a very good ball. It is soft (for a 2-piece), spins well enough, and is pretty long off the tee...all-in-all, pretty good balance in a ball. You can get them from $15-$20 per dozen depending on where you buy them.

If you're willing to go to $25 per dozen, I can't recommend the Bridgestone e6 balls enough. For that low price, you get a 3-piece ball that feels great off the tee and around the greens. Sure, it doesn't spin like a ProV1, but it also doesn't turn draws into duck-hooks or fades into slices either. Again, very nice ball for the price.

Hope it helps.

i don't have much experience with many differnt balls
    but i've been using dt solo and they give me all the distance i want

but now (my local course got something that cuts the greens shorter) they don't seem to have enough spin, but they'll still stick if i really work for backspin

Aren't they for lower swing speeds? Also, I don't really like titleist and think all of their stuff is over priced.

well for $20, they're not too bad
    they are for lower swing speeds, maybe up to 95 or 100 mph

im getting into that 95-100, so im also slowly looking for a new ball to use
    but im not too sure what it's going to be, i also don't want to be spending more than $25 for a dozen
    im looking at the nxt and bgidgestone so far i think....

sorry to take over your thread, but what are the differences between the A5 and A6 from bridgestone? the A5 is twopiece and a6 is three, but i can't remember what this means...even though i just figured this out for like the 10th time
    which would have more spin and which would have more distance?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wadeisabeast
    Aren't they for lower swing speeds? Also, I don't really like titleist and think all of their stuff is over priced.
    Well, if your looking for something for higher swing speeds, try the Bridgestone e5. Its the two-piece higher compression ball, and that sucker spins like a mother. I don't normally get backup on the balls I used, but with this one I was backing them up 2-5 feet. That blessing doesn't come without a curse...careful with the sidespin for hooks/slices.

Quote Originally Posted by whitesox350z
    well for $20, they're not too bad
    they are for lower swing speeds, maybe up to 95 or 100 mph

im getting into that 95-100, so im also slowly looking for a new ball to use
    but im not too sure what it's going to be, i also don't want to be spending more than $25 for a dozen
    im looking at the nxt and bgidgestone so far i think....

sorry to take over your thread, but what are the differences between the A5 and A6 from bridgestone? the A5 is twopiece and a6 is three, but i can't remember what this means...even though i just figured this out for like the 10th time
    which would have more spin and which would have more distance?

thanks
    e5 = two piece, higher compression, and spin. gives you a little higher trajectory on your ball flight. these feel more crisp than the e6.

e6 = three piece, lower compression, a little less spin. for my swing speed, these feel softer to me.

Both are excellent balls, I'd recommend to anyone for $25 per dozen.

The difference is in how many layers are in the ball.

Three pieces are generally softer and more expensive, generally have urethane covers which spin better, but also scuff easier. They are also generally for better players with higher swing-speeds, more consistent swings (adept at shaping shots), and better short games. Most three-piece balls are of high quality...but tend to have small differences in "personalities" that can make a difference to better players.

Two-piece balls are cheaper and made in a wide range of hardnesses. They generally have surlyn covers that are more durable, but spin less than urethane covers. They will tend to hit straighter, roll more, and check less. They range widely in quality, and are also made for a wide range of swing-speeds. The differences in these balls tend to be more pronounced.

alright, sounds like i just need to buy a sleeve of each and test 'em out
    thanks guys!

As I've said before, Ebay for balls. I picked up 9 dozen Prov1's and 1x's with player marks only for $60. Just about every brand and model can be found used for 1/4 what you would pay for new. For the price of 2 dozen new at the store you can have enough to last the whole year. I lost about a dozen Prov's last month, big deal, 7 bucks.

Srixon AD-333.

Whenever I have looked on ebay, I have never seen Prov's at that price. Not even close to that as a matter of fact. When I look, they are about $60 for 5 dozen. Actually, I just looked through the last 2 weeks of Ebay auctions, and the best deal for Pro v1's was $65 for 5 dozen.

Pinnacle Exception - longer
    Maxfli Noodle - softer
    In the bag (various combinations of 14):
    Titleist 905s 9.5* Speeder
    Titleist 905r 9.5* NV65s
    Titleist 904f 3 Wood S300 Steel
    Titleist 904f 5 Wood S300 Steel
    Mizuno MP-30 3-pw S300 steel
    Mizuno MP 52, 56 & 60
    Scotty Cameron PP Newport Mid-Slant
    Scotty Cameron SD 2

golfgalaxy has the Maxfli A3 on sale for $7.99 dz. Great ball for the price.

Whenever I have looked on ebay, I have never seen Prov's at that price. Not even close to that as a matter of fact. When I look, they are about $60 for 5 dozen. Actually, I just looked through the last 2 weeks of Ebay auctions, and the best deal for Pro v1's was $65 for 5 dozen.
    Bad time of the year maybe. I had to sort through a ton of auctions to get that deal in Feb. How much are Prov1's new at the shop? That's still more than a 4 to 1 ratio.

eBay right now 100 Nxt Tours for 9.99 says they are AAAplus quality but i dont know

It's the same thing as with club distances - everybody's 300 yds off the tee, 190 yds with their 5-iron, and buy their $48/doz. golf balls for $7/doz. brand new...

i.e. - it's the internet, where anything is possible, if your ego needs it to be so...

Quote Originally Posted by swvaguy
    It's the same thing as with club distances - everybody's 300 yds off the tee, 190 yds with their 5-iron, and buy their $48/doz. golf balls for $7/doz. brand new...

i.e. - it's the internet, where anything is possible, if your ego needs it to be so...
    Well unfortunately I can't prove that deal because it is over 60 days old. I can prove this one though. I would hope I can manipulate Ebay better than most of you guys, for one I have a degreee in marketing and for two I am more than likely a lot more "street smart".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7246114553

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO%3AIT&rd=1

I was at a local Sportscheck (dont know if they have those in the states...) and they have the Maxfli Rev Tours for 6$ a sleeve... pretty damned good deal right there
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

Quote Originally Posted by ezra76
    Well unfortunately I can't prove that deal because it is over 60 days old. I can prove this one though. I would hope I can manipulate Ebay better than most of you guys, for one I have a degreee in marketing and for two I am more than likely a lot more "street smart".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7246114553

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO%3AIT&rd=1

ROTFLMAO!!!

You think because you have a 'degreee in marketing' & you are 'more street smart' you can get better deals on ebay? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! LMAO once again!!!!

Please, oh PUHLEEZE explain to me how your 'degreee' in marketing helps you make a buy on ebay... This should be hilarious... Exactly where did you receive this 'degreee'? And how specifically did it instruct you in making ebay purchases? LOL!!!

Frankly, I'm doubtful you have even entered college, much less graduated with a 'degreee'... heh heh heh heh heh...

You're just too funny, kid...

ROTFLMAO!!!

You think because you have a 'degreee in marketing' & you are 'more street smart' you can get better deals on ebay? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! LMAO once again!!!!

Please, oh PUHLEEZE explain to me how your 'degreee' in marketing helps you make a buy on ebay... This should be hilarious... Exactly where did you receive this 'degreee'? And how specifically did it instruct you in making ebay purchases? LOL!!!

Frankly, I'm doubtful you have even entered college, much less graduated with a 'degreee'... heh heh heh heh heh...

You're just too funny, kid...
    Umm. Yeah. I'm 30 for one, have my own business http://www.nickelmove.com have a business degree from Rhode Island College that I went back and got after I fukced my life up a bit and spent 2yrs. of my early 20's in State Prison. You'd be surprised how much economics and marketing plays into buying and selling on Ebay. That's how I buy a driver on the end of the 1st week of the month and resell it after everyone has gotten there 1st paycheck after all their monthly bills have been payed. The demand curve shifts to the right when consumers have that temporary disposable income. If you have any questions I'll still answer them despite your rudeness. Not everyone on here is full of BS, or a kid in high school. I don't like WV by the way. The state cops were psychos, but that's a whole other story.
    Last edited by ezra76; 06-18-2006 at 05:14 PM.

I know an old couple with a farm that borders on a golf course I play at...they sell me all the balls I need, and keep aside any PV-1's, Hogans, and Callaways they find especially for me - $5/doz. Screw ebay!
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

If you can find them, grab all you can of the Dunlop JD Tours. They are actually various Maxfli multilayer urethane covered balls that sold for up to $40 but have been relabeled and are selling for $8-12/doz. I've gotten them from MC Sports and Martins Golf and Tennis. Even though the models of Maxfli are said to vary, all the ones I've picked up are M-3 Tours (I can tell by comparing the dimple patterns and softness) which is one of my favorite balls. The feel is nice and soft and they are long.

Thread Information