|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

US Open heading down under (again!)

No European golfer has done it for years (correct me if I am wrong) but how do all you good ol boys from the US of A feel about two nobodies from down under walking away with the US Open these past two years?

I don't think anyone cares

Doesn't matter where they are from.
    [B]Vive Golf..[/B]

Doesn't bother me. And I would hardly call Ogilvy a nobody. He's better than Sergio in my opinion. He and Adam Scott are two of my favorites on tour. I was rooting for him since the cut and knew he would have a great chance if he holed that chip. I thought it would be a playoff with Monty, Phil and him though for sure.

It's annoying considering that there were Europeans in the last 4 groups on Saturday. I mean, how many players do you need up there that 1 will win?! Ogilvy is a class act though and is sure to win 4 or 5 majors. I love his swing!
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

Ogilvy (sp) is the real deal and a very deserving champion. All he needs now is to tell his caddy to lose those child molestor sun glasses.

LOL! Maybe he could give the glasses to Fluff! Then he's be the ultimate paedophile, what his 'tash and all!
    My set:
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    No European golfer has done it for years (correct me if I am wrong) but how do all you good ol boys from the US of A feel about two nobodies from down under walking away with the US Open these past two years?
    Actually I think it's cool, once Furyk was out of the mix I was rooting for Ogilvy hard. He's a very likeable "aww shucks" kind of guy who in my opinion is a class act.

Plus he makes it ok to scream, "AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE, OY, OY, OY" @ a mjaor event. Now that's sweet.

Had monty won I would not have been the least bit enthralled.
    Driver - Callaway FT-5 9.5 Stiff Fuji360
    3 Wood - Nike Ignite T-60 (Fuji)
    4H - Nickent 3DX 4H
    4-PW - TM Rac OS 2
    GW- Titleist Spin Milled 52/8
    SW - TM Rac Black 54/10
    AP - Titleist Spin Milled 60/12
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Detour 2.0

Handicap - 16 (index)

I just can't believe that the winning score was +5. That is just crazy.................name one other tournament where the course is set up to embarass players like that. I'd have probably given up in disgust and humiliation and gone home after 3 holes.
    Driver - Ping G2
    3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha 2004
    Hybrid - Taylormade Rescue 21*
    Irons - 4-PW Callaway X-Tour
    Wedges- Cleveland CG-11 52*, Titleist 56*, Ping MB 60*
    Putter - Cameron Red X2

Finish your beer...............there are sober kids in Africa.

Didn't anyone find out what happened between Ogilvy and his caddie Saturday during their round? The announcers said there was some dispute, but I never really found out about it.

Talking

I mean no offense to you Kiwi, I know you're just having a little but of fun with us in the states, but these anti-American threads/comments are getting a little over played at this point if you ask me. From my perspective, Americans do not have anti-anybody bias the way so many other nationals seem to have an anti-American agenda.

I have a theory on this that I call "The NY Yankee Theory":

(ps--I do not personally like the Yankees)

If you're an American from the NY metro area, there's probably about an 80% chance that if you're a baseball fan, you're a Yankee fan. They have, after all, won 27 championships. The are unquestionably the greatest team in the history of baseball.

On the other hand, if you're an American and a baseball fan who's not from the NY area then there's probably an even higher percentage chance, let's say 90%, that you hate the Yankees. If your team is out of the race all you have left to root for are Yankee losses. That feels even better than when your mediocre team gets an occaissional win. The other 10% of these people are Yankee fans. They don't hate the Yankees just because they are the strongest team. They appreciate the effort the team makes and the money they put into assembling a roster of great players. They know they are just doing what they are suppossed to do to win.

The same can be said of people living outside the US. It seems some people appreciate having us as an ally, but the majority don't appreciate the guys wearing the pinstripes. They want to see us fail in the worst way. I could say more, but I think I'll leave it at that.

Again Kiwi, I hope you don't take this as a personal attack against you. I like to do a little bit of ribbing as much as the next guy, but I'm getting tired of the other threads filled with America bashing that don't seem to be jokes. I'm getting even more tired of responding to it, but I can't seem to help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SeldomInTheSlot
    I mean no offense to you Kiwi, I know you're just having a little but of fun with us in the states, but these anti-American threads/comments are getting a little over played at this point if you ask me. From my perspective, Americans do not have anti-anybody bias the way so many other nationals seem to have an anti-American agenda.

I would call it the "foreign policy theory", but what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by MountOdinMan
    Didn't anyone find out what happened between Ogilvy and his caddie Saturday during their round? The announcers said there was some dispute, but I never really found out about it.
    Ogilvy definately looked pissed at him for sure. I think his caddy talked him into laying up when didnt want to. As a result he wasnt commited to the shot and hit a dog. He then blamed his caddy for it. Stupid, yes. But its hard not to yell at a guy that looks that f'in rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    I would call it the "foreign policy theory", but what do I know.
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems that if I called it that the whole baseball analogy thing wouldn't work.

true, politics need be left off this board anyhow.

I mean no offense to you Kiwi, I know you're just having a little but of fun with us in the states,
    Again Kiwi, I hope you don't take this as a personal attack against you. I like to do a little bit of ribbing as much as the next guy, but I'm getting tired of the other threads filled with America bashing that don't seem to be jokes. I'm getting even more tired of responding to it, but I can't seem to help myself.
    No offense meant and none taken.

I was just curious as I doubt many on this forum had picked Ogilvy in the threads leading up to this event. Most of the big names were bandied about Mikelson, Tiger etc but then again a lot of other big names like Garcia. Vijay etc are not American anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by emc
    It's annoying considering that there were Europeans in the last 4 groups on Saturday. I mean, how many players do you need up there that 1 will win?! Ogilvy is a class act though and is sure to win 4 or 5 majors. I love his swing!
    I didn't see it live but watched the replay last night and apart from Mikelson having an absolute shocker on the 18th didn't Montgomery f#@k up a great opportunity too. Par would have at least got him into a playoff and a birdie would have won it. After such a great drive sitting pretty in the middle of the fairway shooting at the pin and then to shoot six!!!

I wonder what made him change clubs after all that time he had to line up the shot?

He had to wait for Vijay to take a drop from the same hospitality tent Mickelson would eventually hit, and then play his shot. With all the waiting, Monty began deciding between 7 and 8 from his 172 yards remaining. He said he hits his 8 about 162, but he knew with all that adrenaline he had rushing through him he'd hit it another 10 yards farther. He said he just hit it just a bit fat. Unfortunate after such a good drive too.

(ps--I do not personally like the Yankees)

If you're an American from the NY metro area, there's probably about an 80% chance that if you're a baseball fan, you're a Yankee fan. They have, after all, won 27 championships. The are unquestionably the greatest team in the history of baseball.

On the other hand, if you're an American and a baseball fan who's not from the NY area then there's probably an even higher percentage chance, let's say 90%, that you hate the Yankees. If your team is out of the race all you have left to root for are Yankee losses. That feels even better than when your mediocre team gets an occaissional win. The other 10% of these people are Yankee fans. They don't hate the Yankees just because they are the strongest team. They appreciate the effort the team makes and the money they put into assembling a roster of great players. They know they are just doing what they are suppossed to do to win.

The same can be said of people living outside the US. It seems some people appreciate having us as an ally, but the majority don't appreciate the guys wearing the pinstripes. They want to see us fail in the worst way. I could say more, but I think I'll leave it at that.

As a lifelong Yankee fan in a decidedly non Yankee friendly state I know where you are coming from. Of course I became a yankee fan before i was old enough to understand anything more than they had cool hats...I just really enjoy watching history being made. While I am not a Mickelson fan, and dont usually root for him, he was on his way to becoming on of 2 other men (Hogan,Woods) to win 3 or more majors in a row. THats history, i could care less about watching underdogs rise up for their moment of glory (Micheel, Beem) but it does make for compelling TV. If I remember correctly the only person to stand up to Tiger during his amazing run in 99-00 was...Bob May!!?

As for Anti-American thoughts, after Tiger i really wanted to see Vijay win. I really believe that his is a notch above when it comes to ball striking, above the average pro anyway....

America is easy to bash but in the end everybody seems to want to play here, live here etc...what does that tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1013
    America is easy to bash but in the end everybody seems to want to play here, live here etc...what does that tell you?

There was no anti American intent in my post, it was meant entirely as good natured ribbing. I just wondered what everyone thought about an unheralded NZer and then an Aussie winning it two years in a row.

As for the Yankees syndrome I think EVERY sporting nation in the world has that phenomenon. Success breeds resentment amongst rival fans and if you are the best team or from the biggest city everyone else will hate you and hope to see you fail/lose!

There was no anti American intent in my post, it was meant entirely as good natured ribbing. I just wondered what everyone thought about an unheralded NZer and then an Aussie winning it two years in a row.

As for the Yankees syndrome I think EVERY sporting nation in the world has that phenomenon. Success breeds resentment amongst rival fans and if you are the best team or from the biggest city everyone else will hate you and hope to see you fail/lose!
    I know there was no anti-American sentiment in your post, mine was more a response to the other one. I am happy for Ogilvy, he played steady. After Tiger, who i will always root for, I would have liked to see Monty or Luke Donald win.

I think it's great for whoever wins. Obviously you are not a student of the game or you would never even consider such a question. Golf is about sportsmanship, not nationalism (although you might think differently if you watched some of the '90's professional team match play events. They got a bit out of hand.

As for being nobodies I guess they would appear that way to someone who doesn't follow golf very much. They've been around for a while and done very well. Anyone who qualifies has a chance and the only time someone refers to someone as a "nobody" is when they believe all the hype they read, see or hear. Personally I think most golfers are a bit less narrowminded than this. Seems to me that a "good ole boy" might be the one asking such an abviously loaded question.

Ogilvy (sp) is the real deal and a very deserving champion. All he needs now is to tell his caddy to lose those child molestor sun glasses.

If you mean being gifted a major championship by an arrogant/idiotic golfer, then yeah... he's the real deal.

I predict that Oil of Ogilvy will not win another major title EVER!
    TM r5 TP Diamana 83
    Mizuno F-50 15*
    Cobra Baffler 20*
    Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
    Mizuno MP-T 52*
    Ping iWedge 56*
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Chrome 60* (pfft!)
    Cameron Circa 62 #2
    Mizuno Twister Staff Bag

Ogilvy, even though he lucked into this win to some degree, he did play the last 4 holes even par, including a great par save on 18. He has won a few big events already and played well in the last 4 majors. So I see no basis for your arguement, other than you actually know very little about professional golf.

Ogilvy, even though he lucked into this win to some degree, he did play the last 4 holes even par, including a great par save on 18. He has won a few big events already and played well in the last 4 majors. So I see no basis for your arguement, other than you actually know very little about professional golf.
    I hate to admit it but i agree with you here. Everybody knows that par IS at a premium in the open, even me who would most likely struggle to make even one par on that course. Once Ogilvy realized that he had no realistic shot at birdie, he played for par. Just like we all know another golfers should have....

Ogilvy may be a native Australian, but he's lived in Arizona for the past three years... kinda makes him on the way to being an American in my book. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    I think it's great for whoever wins. Obviously you are not a student of the game or you would never even consider such a question. Golf is about sportsmanship, not nationalism (although you might think differently if you watched some of the '90's professional team match play events. They got a bit out of hand.

As for being nobodies I guess they would appear that way to someone who doesn't follow golf very much. They've been around for a while and done very well. Anyone who qualifies has a chance and the only time someone refers to someone as a "nobody" is when they believe all the hype they read, see or hear. Personally I think most golfers are a bit less narrowminded than this. Seems to me that a "good ole boy" might be the one asking such an abviously loaded question.
    Hey Fred 3

You’re right man, no offence. Agree with everything you said.

The “loaded question” was meant in good humour.

All I meant was Campbell and Ogilvy aren’t big names like Tiger, Mickelson, Goosen, Singh or even Montgomerie and it is an unusual occurrence for a NZ’er and an Aussie to win a major in two consecutive years. Only one other NZ’er has EVER won a major (Bob Charles, British Open 1962) and no Aussie has won a major since Greg Norman in 1983 (Aussies out there correct me if I am wrong). So it’s been a good couple of years for golfers from Down Under.

The Good Ole Boys comment was just a playful reference I once picked up from that Classic American film ‘The Blues Brothers’.

Once again on offence intended.

Quote Originally Posted by graffixjones
    Ogilvy may be a native Australian, but he's lived in Arizona for the past three years... kinda makes him on the way to being an American in my book. ;)
    Especially if I heard correctly that he is married to an American girl?

Especially if I heard correctly that he is married to an American girl?
    Heheh... that seems to be the easiest way to get your green card. ;)
    I don't know exactly, but I'd assume that is correct... the only way he could stay for that length of time would be to be married to a US citizen.

Ogilvy deserved the title though... he played a solid game.

You know that it was the last thing he expected though... he's one stroke back behind Philly Mick, probably the strongest player in the field... all Phil has to do is make par to win, or bogey to force a playoff... we're talking like a snowball's chance in hell here that Ogilvy takes the trophy.

And what does Phil do? Shanks a driver, second shot into a tree, third shot short into the fairway, fourth shot finally onto the green, fifth shot a missed putt, and sixth for double bogey. Talk about just handing it to him.

Heheh... that seems to be the easiest way to get your green card. ;)
    I don't know exactly, but I'd assume that is correct... the only way he could stay for that length of time would be to be married to a US citizen.
    Don't professional athletes/sportsmen get some kind of special exemption?

Oops... I was adding to my post as you were posting.

I'm not sure how that works... I guess it could be considered a 'work' visa, but that's just a guess.

Oops... I was adding to my post as you were posting.

I'm not sure how that works... I guess it could be considered a 'work' visa, but that's just a guess.
    I think some promising golfers who are lucky enough can get a college scholarship to the US to play golf. I know some NZ'ers have done that. Not sure about Ogilvy but if he's met an American wife that might be the case.

Good luck to him!

If you are not a US citizen you must have a working Visa. That I know of there is no "special" exemtion for sports stars or entertainment en general...what they do have is the backing of the Tour and money to pay for a good immigration attorney.

If you are married to a US Citizen you have the right to petition for a change of status, and recieve a "green card" which gives you permission to work. You will typically seek "permanent residence status".
    [B]Vive Golf..[/B]

The winner is A.W. Tillinghast. Winged Foot was not beaten! They should not give out trophies unless you beat the course. "Plus 5", sorry, the trophy stays here!

Quote Originally Posted by flight
    The winner is A.W. Tillinghast. Winged Foot was not beaten! They should not give out trophies unless you beat the course. "Plus 5", sorry, the trophy stays here!
    I like that idea. It would be pretty wild if the players winnings for a really tough tournament were based not only on their score in relation to the other players scores but also in relation to par. For example the winner would get $1,000,000 if he won with a score of even par. For every stroke under par he would win an additional $200,000, and for every stroke over par his payday is decreased by $100,000. That would be cool. Is anybody out there interested in trying to start our own tour?

It would be nice to see a senior open following each US open. I wonder how some of those old shot makers would have handled the course. At least on a three day tournament.You know, Brains over Ego....err...I mean Brawn.

Now that would be a massacre!
    My set:
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red