|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Pre-shot routine

What are your pre-shot routines? Just curious....

dont have one....im more of a "when it feels good whack it" guy if that makes sense?

First I grab the club I will be hitting and I grip it while standing directly behind the ball so that me, the ball, and the flagstick form a straight line. Then I will go into the address position but far enough from the ball so that I can make one practice swing. Next I inch closer to the ball and get into my actual address. I look at the target one last time then move my eyes back to the ball. I take 3 deep beaths, and after exhaling on the last one, I fart and begin my takeaway.

smooth practise swing behind the ball looking at target. stand behind ball looking at target, holding club in right hand, then grip the club pointing it directly at my target. Walk around to ball (always same few steps) and address the ball right foot ahead of left, then step into my stance. Waggling the club a bit (usually 5-6 times) until comfortable, then address it. A few looks at the target (usually 2-4) until comfortable. The press my hand forward and down, then release.

I also have a seperate routine for putting, and my short game/feel swings (which is fairly similar, but a little different because of the # of feel swings to get the right distance) which is inside of 80 yards.
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

I first grab the club I'm gonna use. Then I stand behind the ball and try to visualize the shot. I try to see how high its going to be, what shot shape it'll have and where it should land. Next I walk up to the ball and take two practice swings to get a feel for the lie and thickness of the rough. This is when I change my club if I need to. I then step back behind the ball and use my shaft to make a line between the ball and the target. This helps me pick an intermediate target that is on my line. I've seen Jason Gore do this too. Once I have my intermediate target I line up to it, take a few looks at my target and swing away. This may seem pretty extensive but I doubt it takes me more than 30 seconds a swing.
    Last edited by LesIsMore; 06-25-2006 at 12:26 PM.

My preshot routine starts as soon as the last shot stops moving.

I walk, so as I'm going to my ball, I am surverying the wind, the probable lie and the pin/target location. I am also gauging distances so I know what my club options are as well as what kind of shot too hit (depends on the ball flight that will be easiest to hit from said lie + wind + pin placement).

Once I get to my ball (hopefully I have a yardage), I pick a spot about a foot in front of my ball to focus my alignment on. I then grip the club in my left hand and then the right, place the clubhead behind my ball in line with the spot I picked out, and swing. The end.

No practice swings, no tossing grass, no screwing around with different clubs. This is my USUAL preshot routine. Now there are exceptions.

If I am facing anything other than a fairly flat lie, I will take 1 practice swing to see where to play the ball, that's it. If I am in a bunker, I will rehearse my backswing once, to get a feel for the length required. If I'm chipping, I am very meticulous about my practice (short game is where the money's made, right?). If I have to hit some kind of recovery shot, I will definitely take a practice swing.

Otherwise, it's get there, hit, move on. Played 36 holes today on a fairly busy course in just under 6 hours (walked, but it's only about 6000 yards) and shot 80/79.
    [COLOR="Red"]TaylorMade R7 Quad 7.5* Driver
    TaylorMade Retro Tour Spoon 13* 3 Wood
    TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP 16*, 19* and 22* Hybrids
    TaylorMade Rac OS2 5-PW
    TaylorMade Rac Black 54* SW
    TaylorMade Rac Fe2O3 58* LW
    Odyssey 2 Ball 33" Putter

Drive For Show, Putt For Dough!!![/COLOR]

I dont have a set routine. But there are a few things that I like to do before I hit a shot.

1) As soon as I get to the ball I take my stance. Here im looking at the lie, and weither or not the ball is above or below my feet and side hill lies.

2) still in my stance I look quickly at my target and see what type of shot comes to mind first. ( low and around the trees, high over the trees, a little draw to the middle of the green)

3)I stand back behind the ball and now I look at all my options for the shot.

4) Pick a club

5) a few slow mini practise swings (halfway back and halfway through)

6) visualize the shot im going to hit from behind the ball, approach the ball thinking 'low,slow,finish the swing'

7) take my stance, make sure im not so close to the ball and swing away.

I can do all of this supriseingly fast. Might take me 15 seconds to hit a full shot. I dont usally spend a whole lot of time pondering clubs or shot shapes.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Thread Information