|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Inexpensive driver question

I bought a Maxfi 460 driver from mail order; the cost was $89. However, all my friends and golf partners play with high-dollar drivers (Callaway, Taylormade, Ping, etc.). They claim the expensive drivers will knock the ball farther. My belief is that good contact and swing will make the ball travel farther. HOWEVER, most of them do hit the ball farther than me, so some of what they're saying may be true, I guess.

What's the opinion on this? The money is not a real issue if I can hit the ball farther.

thanks, JED

I think the better clubs make the ball go farther. I saw a huge difernce when going from a cheap set to slowly upgrading. my driver jumped from 220 to 250 and they will get striaghter. as far as whats right for you, go demo some clubs

I gained 60 yards switching from an old Wal-mart special to a Ping G5.

My boss was playing with an old biggest big Bertha until I MADE hime buy a Callaway X 460. He gained 40 yards.

The new stuff and better quality stuff for that matter will out play the cheap stuff every time. I

Do expensive drivers make the person playing them hit the ball further or straighter? No. Do cheaply made drivers make the person playing them hit the ball shorter or crooked? No. But the better technology does help an already good swing produce better results. In contrast, a poorly built driver will usually cost a better player some distance/accuracy. This is due to materials, reasearch and development, and technology.

However, having said that, let me say this: I have a friend who plays an Adams Redline driver (about 1/2 - 2/3 as expensive as my TaylorMade R7) and routinely outdrives me by 10 yards. Does this mean his driver is better than mine? Probably not, but he was fitted for it and has reaped the benifits (I got mine for free, which is the only reason I own it). If your Maxfli can put your ball in the fairway more often than your buddies high dollar clubs, than who has the better stick? But I would emplore all players to beware the REALLY inexpensive clubs, particularly the drivers. There is a reason they are so cheap.
    [COLOR="Red"]TaylorMade R7 Quad 7.5* Driver
    TaylorMade Retro Tour Spoon 13* 3 Wood
    TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP 16*, 19* and 22* Hybrids
    TaylorMade Rac OS2 5-PW
    TaylorMade Rac Black 54* SW
    TaylorMade Rac Fe2O3 58* LW
    Odyssey 2 Ball 33" Putter

Drive For Show, Putt For Dough!!![/COLOR]

Newr drivers may add a little distance, and a lot of consistency, but I don't believe 10yds is worth $200. I'll be happy with the drivers I buy off ebay for $50, and I can use the money saved to play 20 rounds.

I would really like it if titanium drivers were banned and we had to use wooden drivers. I believe it would really even the playing field for people who can't afford new $250 drivers every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wadeisabeast
    Newr drivers may add a little distance, and a lot of consistency, but I don't believe 10yds is worth $200. I'll be happy with the drivers I buy off ebay for $50, and I can use the money saved to play 20 rounds.

I would really like it if titanium drivers were banned and we had to use wooden drivers. I believe it would really even the playing field for people who can't afford new $250 drivers every year.
    I could see Callaway/Nike/TaylorMade/Titleist persimmon driver going for $300. They would chalk it up to "innovative retro-technology" and using "only the best, highest COR persimmon available". Wow, I could be an ad exec if that ever happens.
    [COLOR="Red"]TaylorMade R7 Quad 7.5* Driver
    TaylorMade Retro Tour Spoon 13* 3 Wood
    TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP 16*, 19* and 22* Hybrids
    TaylorMade Rac OS2 5-PW
    TaylorMade Rac Black 54* SW
    TaylorMade Rac Fe2O3 58* LW
    Odyssey 2 Ball 33" Putter

Drive For Show, Putt For Dough!!![/COLOR]

NO! Expensive drivers don't make your ball go any longer or straighter. I was playing a $40 "Wal-Mart special" for years before I got my upgrade (which was a birthday present). If there is a difference, it's mental. The game is 99% mental, 1% equipment. If the equipment is made out of the same material, it will perform the same. The big-name companies don't add any magical alloy to their drivers; most of them are titanium.

When purchasing an inexpensive diver, look out for offset faces. Many are geared towards high-handicap golfers with closed face to help "cure" a slice.

What really makes a difference is the shaft. Try demoing some different shafts. The shaft is what gives you the feel and trajectory of the club.

BTW, I still hit my $40 driver 300+ yards.

I can't believe that people are acctually saying that the club dosn't make a difference! I added at least 20 yards with the nike ignite campared to my old ram. But i got to agree that we should got with the old wood drivers! that would be awsome! its kinda pathetic that every one (me included) needs the 460cc driver to hit it good.

Thanks for information. Maybe I'll put a new driver on the X-mas list. Until then I'll probably play the Maxfi....by-the-way, I hit the fairway with the Maxfi about 80% of the time, although 30 yards shorter than my friends, and I usually either tie or win the hole. I guess that's what counts the most. They also spend more time looking balls.

JED

Ooops.... I meant to say -- "they spend more time looking for balls."

Thread Information