|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

To all the Hi-Bore haters out there

I have just read the latest is issue of Golf World (British publication I believe) and in a test of about 20 of the latest/greatest drivers out there the top three in this order were:

1st. Nike SQ
    2nd. Hi-Bore
    3rd equal. Callaway Fusion FT
    3rd equal. Taylormade R7 (whatever the latest is)

So the Hi-Bore can't be THAT bad.

Is it really the appearance of the Hi-Bore or is Tucan responsible for all this anti Hi-Bore hysteria?

The review said it was not really the best driver for beginners, more of a club for better players?

BTW I do not own a Hi-Bore nor do I intend to get one.

CG Schönborn, Austria, www.gcschoenborn.com
    I guess this pretty much answers your question.
    Would be good to know which shaft works best for above average swingspeed
    in my bag:
    Driver: Cleveland Launcher 460 (Fujikura Regular)
    3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (True Temper S300)
    Irons: Mizuno MP-37 (2-9, PW, True Temper S300)
    Wedges: Cleveland CG10: 56* (2dot) and 60* (1dot)
    Putter: Taylor Made Rossa Monza Corsa 33"
    Balls: Titleist (mixed Lakeballs, i guess they suck)

I myself started a Hibore discussion earlier this week. In that discussion a guy stated that the Top Cleveland players arent using the Hibore. That fact alone makes me a little weary. If the pros are using the Cleveland Comp instead, I could see alot of people opting to buy that model. Other companies such as as Nike, can say and advertise that their pros, including Tiger have won on tour using the Sasquatch. I "believe" Tiger is using the standard version instead of the Tour version. If thats true, I would imagine the sales of the tour version would be hurting as well. All in all, The Hibore cost alot of money. If the big guns arent playing it and you own one, you might not get anything back by way of trade or re sale when you decide you want a different driver. I saw an ad where if you buy a Hibore this month you get a free wedge. Makes me wonder if the Hibore is just another Driver idea gone bad and Cleveland is trying to unload as many as possible before it's deemed a failure. I think as long as the pro's arent playing it, the value of the club will go down significantly. Does anybody know why the Pro's arent playing the Hibore anyhow?
    MY Bag contains the following:
    Nike Ignite 460 9.5 aldila nv stiff
    Titleist 975f 14.5' 3 wood TTdg 300 stiff
    Wilson PI5 3 thru PW 5.5 rifle shafts
    Titleist Vokey 50' 54' 58' wedges
    Ping Craz-e putter 34'

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][/COLOR]

I saw an ad where if you buy a Hibore this month you get a free wedge. Makes me wonder if the Hibore is just another Driver idea gone bad and Cleveland is trying to unload as many as possible before it's deemed a failure.

Could this also be the reason Callaway is giving a fairway wood for buying their driver???Or could this just be good marketing to get some who would normally not try it to give it a look?

Taylormade is also giving a free rescue dual or r7 steel fairway wood to anyone who spends $399 or more. Basically, if one of the major companies starts a promotion, 9 times out of 10 the rest of the major companies follow suit.

Vijay is on his third Cleveland driver of 2006. Makes me kinda think they all suck a dogs balls.

I dislike the HiBore because of the feel and looks of the club.
    TM r5 TP Diamana 83
    Mizuno F-50 15*
    Cobra Baffler 20*
    Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
    Mizuno MP-T 52*
    Ping iWedge 56*
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Chrome 60* (pfft!)
    Cameron Circa 62 #2
    Mizuno Twister Staff Bag

CG Schönborn, Austria, www.gcschoenborn.com
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    Vijay is on his third Cleveland driver of 2006. Makes me kinda think they all suck a dogs balls.
    Considering the Launcher 460 has a rating of 4.94 of 5 from 108 reviewers, you should reconsider
    in my bag:
    Driver: Cleveland Launcher 460 (Fujikura Regular)
    3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (True Temper S300)
    Irons: Mizuno MP-37 (2-9, PW, True Temper S300)
    Wedges: Cleveland CG10: 56* (2dot) and 60* (1dot)
    Putter: Taylor Made Rossa Monza Corsa 33"
    Balls: Titleist (mixed Lakeballs, i guess they suck)

I've never swung a HiBore (or an R7, FT3, G5, etc). It might be the finest club ever produced, but it may also be the next Callaway C4. I don't care either way.
    HiBore comments are used more as Tucan-bait, because that guy is pure gold.

I've never demoed the HiBore because I hurt my back again this spring and won't be making any hard swings again for a long time, but I have a Launcher driver and have hit the Launcher fairway woods many times and they are great clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by MountOdinMan
    Taylormade is also giving a free rescue dual or r7 steel fairway wood to anyone who spends $399 or more. Basically, if one of the major companies starts a promotion, 9 times out of 10 the rest of the major companies follow suit.
    so is Bridgestone (giving a free hybrid that is)... there is a reason for the Tour Pro's NOT using the HiBore you now it cant be all that good when VJ goes back to a Launcher 460 from the HiBore

I tried HiBore and just didn't like the feel/sound at impact and that goes for the Callaway Fusion and Titleist drivers.

the hibore is a piece of SHlT!!
    i hit one when i was hitting... just about every other 'top' driver out there (taylormade, ping, nike callaway, titleist, etc) and it was nearly my least favorite
    it felt REALLLLLLLY heavy and hard to swing, and it just looked ****in retarted
    callaway x460 10* regular fujikira, mid kick
    adams ovation 3 wood regular
    callaway big bertha heavenwood 4h regular flex
    tommy armour 845s 4-pw
    titleist vokey oil can 60/4, 56/14, 52/8
    taylormade rossa indy putter
    all with winn w5 grips
    titleist nxt

handicap- 8.5

Quote Originally Posted by whitesox350z
    the hibore is a piece of SHlT!!
    i hit one when i was hitting... just about every other 'top' driver out there (taylormade, ping, nike callaway, titleist, etc) and it was nearly my least favorite
    it felt REALLLLLLLY heavy and hard to swing, and it just looked ****in retarted
    Stop mincing your words and tell us what you REALLY think!!!

what the heck are you talking about?
    the hibores a piece of crap period.
    callaway x460 10* regular fujikira, mid kick
    adams ovation 3 wood regular
    callaway big bertha heavenwood 4h regular flex
    tommy armour 845s 4-pw
    titleist vokey oil can 60/4, 56/14, 52/8
    taylormade rossa indy putter
    all with winn w5 grips
    titleist nxt

handicap- 8.5

Quote Originally Posted by whitesox350z
    what the heck are you talking about?
    the hibores a piece of crap period.
    I was only kidding.

You made your views pretty clear!

F*** Hi-Bore.

/thread.
    Last edited by PHSgolfguy; 07-13-2006 at 05:26 PM.
    GOULET!!!

Well, I mangaed to hit a Hibore today with 9.5 degree head and aldila nv shaft. It felt pretty darn sweet. Good distance on slight mishits. Felt solid thru impact. Ball definitely wanted to turn left which leads me to believe it is set up slightly draw biased. The ball flight was a little higher than my Nike ignite wiht the same set up, but did get a fair amount of roll. Of course, the new MacTec and the new Cobra driver I hit were equally impressive. I do like the idea of low spin drivers like the Sasquatch and Hibore. I cant say these 06' drivers gave me any extra distance or forgiveness though. I was still carrying the ball about 240-250 the same as my Ignite. Overall, i really liked Hibore. I would put in my bag easily.
    MY Bag contains the following:
    Nike Ignite 460 9.5 aldila nv stiff
    Titleist 975f 14.5' 3 wood TTdg 300 stiff
    Wilson PI5 3 thru PW 5.5 rifle shafts
    Titleist Vokey 50' 54' 58' wedges
    Ping Craz-e putter 34'

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][/COLOR]

Even if I gained some yards I still can't stomach the look of that ugly club.

I would never decide to not play a certain club because I think it's ugly. It almost seems as if people on here are more worried about what other people would think if they were seen with a Hibore in their bag. That's so high school. I stopped caring about what anyone else thinks about me a long time ago. To me, just about every Ping club ever made is ugly, but if I hit them great you can be sure I'd be playing them. I don't get it.

It's just a confidence thing when your over the ball. I don't think I would be very consistent with a hi-bore, so even if I hit it great on the range, I don't think it would carry over to the course when I have to hit the tight fairway on #6. Sorry if you don't agree, but I'm not willing to shell out 400 bucks for something that gives me no confidence when I'm standing over the ball.

IMO confidence comes from knowing how you perform with a certain club much moreso than the club's appearance. You would get used to how a club looked very quickly.

the reason Vijay stopped playing the Hi-Bore is because his mole and the Hi-Bore couldnt get along

I demoéd it and hit it OK but like KidWilson I didn't notice any special performance over and above my Launcher 460. So there is no way I would be shelling out extra $$$ just to have the latest and greatest in my bag. It certainly wouldn't improve my driving distance or accuracy at all. Good swings would still be sweet down the middle and bad swings would still be sailing into the trees!

Technology can only help up to a point and after that it is all about the golfer swinging the club. To that end I would be better off investing the extra $$$ in lessons/sessions at the range.

Why do people think it's so ugly? Is it the scoop? It's got a matte finish to it so it's not super noticable and you get used to it quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Queso
    the reason Vijay stopped playing the Hi-Bore is because his mole and the Hi-Bore couldnt get along
    This is the funniest damn thing that's ever been posted in this forum.
    Driver - Callaway FT-5 9.5 Stiff Fuji360
    3 Wood - Nike Ignite T-60 (Fuji)
    4H - Nickent 3DX 4H
    4-PW - TM Rac OS 2
    GW- Titleist Spin Milled 52/8
    SW - TM Rac Black 54/10
    AP - Titleist Spin Milled 60/12
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Detour 2.0

Handicap - 16 (index)

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    Or maybe Vijay is just indecisive. Doesn't he change putters every second week?

Quote Originally Posted by Discopotato
    Why do people think it's so ugly? Is it the scoop? It's got a matte finish to it so it's not super noticable and you get used to it quickly.

I don't get it either. I guess some people are just stubborn and set in their ways. The initial look gets forgotten after the first round and after that it's just a driver. I actually like the way it looks. To each his own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by goceltics34
    I don't get it either. I guess some people are just stubborn and set in their ways. The initial look gets forgotten after the first round and after that it's just a driver. I actually like the way it looks. To each his own I guess.
    Well said.

It's not that long ago that the monstrous 460cc Drivers were considered to be totally hideous is it?

Now most of us have one in the bag.

You Guys Suck....The Hi-Bore is AWSOME!!!!!!!!

I just wanted all you Hi Bore haters to know the Hi Bore is the best damn driver I have ever hit ....If I lost my Hi Bore I would trade my right nut for another one......Maybe you guys should try it before you knock it.......I thought I could never hit anything like that,but I went to a demo days got fit for it and now my average carry distance is 307yrds.....Almost a 30 yard gain,plus I can hook it, fade it, draw it, hit it high or low......Again the Hi Bore is the best damn driver ever

Blade

Quote Originally Posted by FG17Blade
    I just wanted all you Hi Bore haters to know the Hi Bore is the best damn driver I have ever hit ....If I lost my Hi Bore I would trade my right nut for another one......Maybe you guys should try it before you knock it.......I thought I could never hit anything like that,but I went to a demo days got fit for it and now my average carry distance is 307yrds.....Almost a 30 yard gain,plus I can hook it, fade it, draw it, hit it high or low......Again the Hi Bore is the best damn driver ever

Blade
    The Hi-Bore is going down. Down to live in Puerto Rico with Tucan forever.
    I hate this game! (smack) I love this game! (smack)
    I hate this game and love this game!

[B]Driver[/B] - Cleveland Launcher 9.5*
    [B]5W[/B] - Adams Low Profile RPM
    [B]3i-PW [/B]- TM RAC LT2
    [B]51*[/B] - TM RAC Black TP Wedge (Y-Groove)
    [B]56*[/B] - Tommy Armour 845
    [B]58*[/B] - Titleist Vokey Spin Milled
    [B]Putter[/B] - Odyssey Duel Force 2

[B]Handi - 8.4[/B]

Mighty Hibore

This originally appeared in the "How you tee up your Hibore" thread

Sung to the tune of "Convoy"

It was late one hot summer day, I was hackin' at the range............................................. .
    I was slicin',pullin',toppin' em all,my swing it seemed so strange.......................................
    The assistant pro was watchin' me,all of a sudden he said.............................................. .
    "Put that Cally in your bag............................................... .............................................
    Try this thing instead".................................................. .................................................

(Chorus)We got a mighty Hibore,straight and high and long..............................................
    We got a mighty Hibore,Vijay can't be wrong............................................. .....................
    We got a mighty Hibore ,who could ask for anything more.............................................. .
    We got a mighty Hibore,go improve your score............................................. ..................
    Hibooooooooreeeeeeeeeeeee......................... ..........

I was hittin' em long, hittin' em high and the placement was real tight................................
    Then I looked at the end of the range and saw a real sight............................................. ...
    a guy hittin' it hard, hittin' em high,hittin' em outta sight............................................. ......
    He winked at me, shook his head and said Tucan sure was right!.....................................

Repeat Chorus,Repeat chorus,repeat chorus,Hibore,hibore...fade....................... ..............

Oh great! Vijay Singh and David Toms, two of the top ten players in the...um...WORLD can't control this thing and opt for another Cleveland club but this guy can move the ball left, right, high or low at will all the while AVERAGING 307 yards of CARRY which would put him in the top 10 on tour in driving distance as well. Riiight!
    Sure thing Blade!
    You have a nice day now. By the way, what color is the sky in your world?

I have the Cleveland Ti460 and love it, much cheaper than a hiBore and a sweet club at that

Does anyone use this club bar me?

Quote Originally Posted by stringy
    I have the Cleveland Ti460 and love it, much cheaper than a hiBore and a sweet club at that

No, but if I hand't bought the r5 I would have gotten that seeing as distance was equal. I really did like the Ti460
    Driver - Callaway FT-5 9.5 Stiff Fuji360
    3 Wood - Nike Ignite T-60 (Fuji)
    4H - Nickent 3DX 4H
    4-PW - TM Rac OS 2
    GW- Titleist Spin Milled 52/8
    SW - TM Rac Black 54/10
    AP - Titleist Spin Milled 60/12
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Detour 2.0

Handicap - 16 (index)

I had a Ti460 and hit it about 350 yards, problem was they were all UP, damn thing only went about 210 forward.

I've got the Ti Launcher 460 too stringy, and you're right---it is sweeeeeeeeet!!!

HIBORE GOING TO THE NEXT GOLF DIGEST HOT LIST LIKED OR NOT LIKED

AND IS ALL READY IN THE TOP 5 SELLING DRIVERS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Puerto Rico the best Island in the world!

Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!homer simpson grammar
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Follow your nose!

In the bag of Tucan:

Hibore 9.5 aldila Nv65 stiff- #1 driver

3 wood cobra sz- Golf digest 05 editors choice

Halos 2i and 3i- Hot list and the easy to hit

Cleveland launcher LP PW-4iron- #1 improve irons

Cleveland 588 and cg11 - Cleveland #1 in wedges

Putter Ping G5i mallet. golf digest 05 editors choice

I have the original Launcher 460 and it is also a sweet driver. I Demoéd the Hi-Bore recently and it was ok. If I was in the market for a new driver I might consider it once it comes down in price. But I don't believe I would be gaining much from my Launcher 460.

nice song. way to put that one together, you musta been pretty bored

unlike the ppl saying "try it b4 u knock it", i have tried it, and couldnt feel it at all. looked bad, felt bad. That was into a net, went to range with it then, the shot was decent, but nothing special, and the look/feel were the sh*t, so SAY NO TO HIGHBORE
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

nice song. way to put that one together, you musta been pretty bored

unlike the ppl saying "try it b4 u knock it", i have tried it, and couldnt feel it at all. looked bad, felt bad. That was into a net, went to range with it then, the shot was decent, but nothing special, and the look/feel were the sh*t, so SAY NO TO HIBORE
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

Quote Originally Posted by FG17Blade

Blade
    Haha.. I was about to respond, then realised that you'd just registered for this topic & have only one post,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Funny story about the HiBore

I went to Edwin Watts today to have my driver re-gripped and there was this man who came in with a brand new HiBore, shaft in one hand, head in the other. He said he had just bought the thing from a Cleveland demo trailer no less and his first swing on the range after taking it out of the wrapping.. Drive went 40 yards, driver head went 50.

Apparently the Graffaloy ProLaunch knew what it was holding and knew it couldn't handle all its power and majesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    I went to Edwin Watts today to have my driver re-gripped and there was this man who came in with a brand new HiBore, shaft in one hand, head in the other. He said he had just bought the thing from a Cleveland demo trailer no less and his first swing on the range after taking it out of the wrapping.. Drive went 40 yards, driver head went 50.

Apparently the Graffaloy ProLaunch knew what it was holding and knew it couldn't handle all its power and majesty.
    It seems that Cleveland have a produced real lemon with this club!

Thread Information