|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: 64 Degree Wedge

64 Degree Wedge

Ok so today I was at this new store called The Golf Shop, which is a sub company of Dicks, and there are only 2 in the U.S. Northern Virginia (in Sterling) and Pittsburgh. Imagine a store the size of Dicks but only selling golf equipment. Everything you could imagine, Adams to Mizuno, Ping, all the ones you wouldn't normally find @ a major retail store, used clubs, 3 golf simulators, a free driving range, a chipping green, and 8 putting holes. It is the greatest store of the face of the planet. But that's another story.

So i was dicking around waiting for them to reshaft a new set of irons I bought for my (future) father in law. I went over to the chipping green and was messing around hitting certain bunker shots (yes they had a mini bunker). They had a giant bag full of demo wedges out and I noticed they had a 64 degree Cleveland 588 series wedge. I figured, eh, why not, lets see how bad I can blade this!

But a funny thing happened. I hit one at half swing into the net to get a feel. Then I decided to do some 15 foot chips. I holed my first one, then my second one, until I had 4 in a row. The guy standing near me asked if I was a collegiate golfer because I had my IU stuff on (mind you, I haven't broken 90 yet). I said I wish but that I was getting lucky. I hit 20 more shots, holed 6 more (not in a row) and the rest were all within 5 feet. The 64 put some great spin on the ball and let me be agressive because there was little bounce and the ball checked up beautifully.

I've never had a desire to own such a high lofted and unusual wedge. I just replaced my old 56 pure spin with a 54 and 58 CG10. But the idea of this 64 intrigues me. I fee like if I learned this club I could be very good with it.

Do any of you own a 64 or have had experience playing with a 64?

Oh, and mind you I'm average at chipping at best. The course I play on is usually fast and firm greens with soft fairways.
    Driver - Callaway FT-5 9.5 Stiff Fuji360
    3 Wood - Nike Ignite T-60 (Fuji)
    4H - Nickent 3DX 4H
    4-PW - TM Rac OS 2
    GW- Titleist Spin Milled 52/8
    SW - TM Rac Black 54/10
    AP - Titleist Spin Milled 60/12
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Detour 2.0

Handicap - 16 (index)

I have Cleveland 588 wedges 51, 56 & 60. Personally I can hardly hit the 60 degree properly but I played with a young guy last year that had a 588 64 degree and he hit some great shots with it including holing a chip for birdie.

Whatever works for you. But I guess there could be an element of beginners luck/novelty value in hitting a few chips with a new club in the shop. Will it really work for you out on the course?

I picked up an Odyssey putter in the shop and sunk six out of six 8 foot putts. I was so impressed until I saw the price tag! But I doubt that would have translated to the real world out on the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I have Cleveland 588 wedges 51, 56 & 60. Personally I can hardly hit the 60 degree properly but I played with a young guy last year that had a 588 64 degree and he hit some great shots with it including holing a chip for birdie.

Whatever works for you. But I guess there could be an element of beginners luck/novelty value in hitting a few chips with a new club in the shop. Will it really work for you out on the course?

I picked up an Odyssey putter in the shop and sunk six out of six 8 foot putts. I was so impressed until I saw the price tag! But I doubt that would have translated to the real world out on the course.
    That was the logical side of my thinking. But I chip maybe 1 ball in every other round or so. To hit four in a row and then 10 out of 24? Even when I practicing chiping I don't get a streak like that. I'm going to be dreaming about that spin tonight.
    4H - Nickent 3DX 4H
    4-PW - TM Rac OS 2
    SW - TM Rac Black 54/10

Handicap - 16 (index)

I have used a 62* wedge for 20 years !! You should see the sole on her !
    KZG Gemini 460 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]KZG Cobalt 4 & 7 Wood[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]KZG Forged Evolution 4-7
    KZG Forged ZO 8-SW[COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Nomad WRX GTO Hogan 62 K[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Tom Slighter "Kirkland" [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Bridgestone E-5 [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Bennington Cart Bag [/COLOR]

I was there as well

Quote Originally Posted by golfnut86

I've never had a desire to own such a high lofted and unusual wedge. I just replaced my old 56 pure spin with a 54 and 58 CG10. But the idea of this 64 intrigues me. I fee like if I learned this club I could be very good with it.

Oh, and mind you I'm average at chipping at best. The course I play on is usually fast and firm greens with soft fairways.
    What time were you at the Golf Shop? I was there today trying out some Irons as well. I love the driving rang simulator they have that shows ball flight, mph, launch angle etc...

My buddy has a 64 and he uses it 100% whenever he is near the green and never, never hits a bad shot, just a simple swing. I am really thinking about getting one since I have trouble sometimes with my 60.
    Adams Redline 430Q
    Adams Ovation 3
    Adams Ovation 5 offset
    TaylorMade Rescue 19
    TaylorMade RAC OS 2 4-SW
    Adams Tom Watson GW 54
    Cleaveland CG10 60 degree
    TaylorMade Rossa Daytona CGB Putter

I have a 64 and love it. I can control it better than any other club, especially on the really short chips.

Ok so today I was at this new store called The Golf Shop, which is a sub company of Dicks, and there are only 2 in the U.S. Northern Virginia (in Sterling) and Pittsburgh. Imagine a store the size of Dicks but only selling golf equipment. Everything you could imagine, Adams to Mizuno, Ping, all the ones you wouldn't normally find @ a major retail store, used clubs, 3 golf simulators, a free driving range, a chipping green, and 8 putting holes. It is the greatest store of the face of the planet. But that's another story.

So i was dicking around waiting for them to reshaft a new set of irons I bought for my (future) father in law. I went over to the chipping green and was messing around hitting certain bunker shots (yes they had a mini bunker). They had a giant bag full of demo wedges out and I noticed they had a 64 degree Cleveland 588 series wedge. I figured, eh, why not, lets see how bad I can blade this!

But a funny thing happened. I hit one at half swing into the net to get a feel. Then I decided to do some 15 foot chips. I holed my first one, then my second one, until I had 4 in a row. The guy standing near me asked if I was a collegiate golfer because I had my IU stuff on (mind you, I haven't broken 90 yet). I said I wish but that I was getting lucky. I hit 20 more shots, holed 6 more (not in a row) and the rest were all within 5 feet. The 64 put some great spin on the ball and let me be agressive because there was little bounce and the ball checked up beautifully.

If I hit a 64 I would probably put the ball right in the middle of my forehead......lol

i was just wondering, i was thinking about getting a new wedge to replace my Wilson Harmonized 60 degree and was wondering what was the benefits/disadvantages of having a 64 degree verses a 54 degree.

Quote Originally Posted by golf3r
    i was just wondering, i was thinking about getting a new wedge to replace my Wilson Harmonized 60 degree and was wondering what was the benefits/disadvantages of having a 64 degree verses a 54 degree.
    Actually I would get both. They both are desgined for completely different purposes. A 64 would be for short (or very high) skilled shots with little bounce and alot of spin. 54's, depending on bounce, I would think are more benificial for longer approach shots (up to 80/90 yards depending on your yardages).
    4H - Nickent 3DX 4H
    4-PW - TM Rac OS 2
    SW - TM Rac Black 54/10

Handicap - 16 (index)

ok thanks. BTW could you recommed any for under 30 or 40 dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by golf3r
    ok thanks. BTW could you recommed any for under 30 or 40 dollars?
    Purespine makes a nice 56 sand wedge, it's not a cleveland, but for under 40 bucks it's a great value (brand new that is)

here is one on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PURESPIN-GOL...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, Tommy Armour has a wedge out that Dick's Sporting goods is liquidating, I think the price on them is 29.99. I hit with them a few times and they put some good bite on the ball. Again, you get what you pay for, so don't expect Vokey or CG type bite, spin, or quality, but for that price range those are probably your two best options.
    4H - Nickent 3DX 4H
    4-PW - TM Rac OS 2
    SW - TM Rac Black 54/10

Handicap - 16 (index)

me2

Quote Originally Posted by pmoper
    If I hit a 64 I would probably put the ball right in the middle of my forehead......lol

hah hah, me two

i'm used to my 56* wedge now, but if lose this wedge (wouldn't be my first), i may go with a 54.

don't care for a 60* so would not touch a 64* golf is frustrating & confusing enough for me, already.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Beautiful Club

Hey,

I love my 64 degree wedge, my dad got it off a old friend who had decided to quit the game, he gave it to me and its the best club ive ever used. Got my first ever eagle with it on my first round with it. Not bad for a 15 year old, eh? The spin it produces is incredible and the height is awsome, ive recently heard that theres a 70 DEGREE WEDGE on the market......interested anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by guinness1993
    Hey,

I love my 64 degree wedge, my dad got it off a old friend who had decided to quit the game, he gave it to me and its the best club ive ever used. Got my first ever eagle with it on my first round with it. Not bad for a 15 year old, eh? The spin it produces is incredible and the height is awsome, ive recently heard that theres a 70 DEGREE WEDGE on the market......interested anybody?
    So please describe your first ever Eagle? I'm intrigued to hear how your 64* wedge achieved it.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by ironman
    hah hah, me two

i'm used to my 56* wedge now, but if lose this wedge (wouldn't be my first), i may go with a 54.

don't care for a 60* so would not touch a 64* golf is frustrating & confusing enough for me, already.
    But think of all the awesome 'bump and run' shots you could play with it if your name was Queen City Golfer.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Within the last 6 months I've gone to my first high lofted wedge, a 63 degree Scratch wedge , with a custom EGG grind. Don't as me what EGG stands for; I have no idea, but it is probably someone's initials. Anyway, it is the same sold grind I have on my 58 degree Scratch, and it allows me to hit full and relatively full wedge shots from distances that would have formerly been quite awkward for a less lofted wedge (you know....the half wedge and less distances). It generates a LOT of spin on touch shots around the green without having to swing hard. One can really throw darts near the pin and expect a pretty consistent bite and quick check up. The important thing about any high lofted wedge is that you have to plan on giving it some significant practice time, or it can easily cost you more strokes than it saves.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

So please describe your first ever Eagle? I'm intrigued to hear how your 64* wedge achieved it.

Drove down the fairway, laid up 80 yards short, then chipped in.... and the rest they say is history, lol.

daveperk Guest
    Imagine a store the size of Dicks but only selling golf equipment. Everything you could imagine, Adams to Mizuno, Ping, all the ones you wouldn't normally find @ a major retail store, used clubs, 3 golf simulators, a free driving range, a chipping green, and 8 putting holes. It is the greatest store of the face of the planet. But that's another story..
    I don't have to imagine it. It's called PGA Tour Superstore and there are at least two in the DFW area. It's the size of a couple of airliner hangars, it's got a half dozen of the full hitting booths with the video golf course screen at the back to hit at, and another half dozen booths with the full radar analyzer and computer programs for it. You can rent time in those without using a pro or staff member, just bring your clubs and get your numbers.

It also has a big putting green and a chipping area including a bunker. INSIDE the store. Astroturf.

I thought the half dozen Golf Galaxy stores in this area were big, but PGA Tour Superstore is like a city. shoes, clothes, they've even got a FURNITURE area, with sofas and chairs and coffee tables, all golf themed, all for sale.

PGA Tour Superstore is as big as any Dicks Sporting Goods, or bigger. :-)

Everything's bigger in Texas. That's what my wife said anyways. :-) But I'm sure these guys are all over the country.

I'm beginning to think that Golf Galaxy sucks. I went there last week because I got one of those "members only" invitations for this coming Tuesday. I know, it's nothing special but I would get something like a $50 gift card if I spent over $250, plus some other freebies.
    They refuse to carry anything outside of chopper clubs. I wanted to check out those new MacGregors and the Cobra CB Pros in person, as well as maybe some Bridgestone irons but they don't carry any of that stuff. They also didn't have the Cobra L4V X driver and from what the salesman said, never plan to.
    Dicks even had a better selection.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

When it comes to all of these wedges, I think it can be difficult to use them affectively if you don't play often enough. I use to have 4 wedges (PW, 52, 56, 60) and I found that I didn't play often enough (once a week at best) to know how to hit all of them. I use my PW more than anything and hit half, 3/4 and full shots and pitch and runs near the green if possible.

I'm average, so I figure a 64 is a waste of time.

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I'm beginning to think that Golf Galaxy sucks. I went there last week because I got one of those "members only" invitations for this coming Tuesday. I know, it's nothing special but I would get something like a $50 gift card if I spent over $250, plus some other freebies.
    They refuse to carry anything outside of chopper clubs. I wanted to check out those new MacGregors and the Cobra CB Pros in person, as well as maybe some Bridgestone irons but they don't carry any of that stuff. They also didn't have the Cobra L4V X driver and from what the salesman said, never plan to.
    Dicks even had a better selection.
    THe Galaxy seems to never stock the actual pro version of anything. I saw their new Adams XTD display and drooled my way over there, then noticed that out of thirty odd drivers they didn't have ONE single XTD Pro, just .... hacker clubs.

I used to have a Ping eye 2 64-degree wedge , given to me by my friend who was a head pro at Bent Creek CC in Lancaster PA before he moved out to becoming a head pro for a country club in Scottsdale AZ... Very difficult to hit under tight lie, excellent when ball is in a rough. I tơok it to Dicks Sproting Gơods and bent it to 61degrêe, finally I gave up and gave it to my son. My Callaway 55-degree wedge has been serving me very well, and a lot more consistence

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    THe Galaxy seems to never stock the actual pro version of anything. I saw their new Adams XTD display and drooled my way over there, then noticed that out of thirty odd drivers they didn't have ONE single XTD Pro, just .... hacker clubs.
    In DFW, you probably have access to so many more golf retailers than I do. Edwin Watts, PGA Superstore, etc. We have Golf Galaxy, Dicks, or the pro shops at golf courses. It pisses me off that a whole segment of the golf club industry is denied to me based on what part of the country I live in. It's not like I'm in BF Idaho either. I guess my next irons will be something by Callaway. I could probably get good trade in value when I have to give up my manhood (or not).
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

daveperk Guest
    We have several Golfsmith and Edwin Watts, at least three Golf Galaxy and at least two PGA Superstore.. I don't know how they all stay in biz, but I guess there's that many avid and upper middle class golfers in this neighborhood. Can't shop there on a fixed income, that's for SURE.

That said, there's often a discount bucket toward the front at PGA S and it will have, for example, a hundred Cleveland wedges, a couple of models old, for $50 each. They've all got a used club section and you can get a decent set of used Callaway X20 for $450 or so.. and the Golfsmith have their own component store, and the Golf Galaxy has the Maltby golfworks inside... so really there's something for everyone..

Hey Golfnut86......

That 64 degree Cleveland is it pretty blade like? I'm not a fan of the heavier cavity back wedges.

This thread was perfectly timed as I too am looking to get a nice blade for working around the greens. The Texas sun translates into some really fast greens and bump and runs can be tough to gauge. I am leaning towards a 60 degree lob. Im leaning towards the Vokey atm.Christ this thread is from 06?
    Last edited by TexasJeff; 05-21-2009 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ROLLMSTR8
    I have used a 62* wedge for 20 years !! You should see the sole on her !
    Do you ever have the grooves sharpened? I wear out my wedges in 1-3 years. There's no way in hell a wedge would last me 20 years. The ball would never spin properly off that club!

I never really found a need for a 64. I've even replaced my 60 with a 58 low bounce so I can just open it up when I need more loft. In my opinion having a 64 would only benefit me if I needed to hit a flop type shot off a tight lie frequently. This is rarely the case. If I'm ever short sided or have a bunker to carry, the ball is usually in the rough and I can open up a 58 to pull off the shot. A 64 might also prove useful for guys that hit their lob wedges 100+ yards. Sadly I don't fall into this category either.

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    We have several Golfsmith and Edwin Watts, at least three Golf Galaxy and at least two PGA Superstore.. I don't know how they all stay in biz, but I guess there's that many avid and upper middle class golfers in this neighborhood. Can't shop there on a fixed income, that's for SURE.

That said, there's often a discount bucket toward the front at PGA S and it will have, for example, a hundred Cleveland wedges, a couple of models old, for $50 each. They've all got a used club section and you can get a decent set of used Callaway X20 for $450 or so.. and the Golfsmith have their own component store, and the Golf Galaxy has the Maltby golfworks inside... so really there's something for everyone..
    Its a lovely market for used gear really. Having worked in the area for years I know a lot of the Highland Park types get new gear yearly. I may piece together a set of used blades just for fun.

Just realized how old this thread was.

I used to play a Maxfli A10 60 degree well for several years. I moved to a Callaway X Tour 58 degree (Cally got a club just right in recent years, who would have thought?) and prefer that. I play on some slower greens here in New England, so 58 is ample enough in loft for most shots. Though, I came across a sweet 20 dollar deal on a Cleveland 588 chrome 64 degree, so I might pick it up. I am willing to try any club for cheap.
    Last edited by connecticutter; 05-22-2009 at 04:57 AM.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutter
    I used to play a Maxfli A10 60 degree well for several years. I moved to a Callaway X Tour 58 degree (Cally got a club just right in recent years, who would have thought?) and prefer tha. Though, I came across a sweet 20 dollar deal on a Cleveland 588 chrome 64 degree, so I might pick it up.
    Yeah, Cally has done a good job on alot of their newer club designs. Now if they'd just stop forging them out of gold! They're really proud of their clubs at Callaway!

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I could see it being nice to take a consistent full swing and nailing 40-50 yard slightly elevated pins with a 64. I seem to use my 60 more, and more lately 50-60 yards deadly. I used to have a go to club around greens, always the pw. Now I use more wedges and fly them with a near full swing, just added a 51 for slightly under a 100 yard consistent shots.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    Yeah, Cally has done a good job on alot of their newer club designs. Now if they'd just stop forging them out of gold! They're really proud of their clubs at Callaway!
    It's not really surprising now that Roger Cleveland is designing Callaways wedges. That's how I justified getting the Cally X-Forged 58*. I'm more of a Cleveland guy!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

It's not really surprising now that Roger Cleveland is designing Callaways wedges. That's how I justified getting the Cally X-Forged 58*. I'm more of a Cleveland guy!
    Wow. That makes sense. Pretty much my entire bag is Cleveland right now.

Yes, I had a Ping Zing 64* wedge, it costs me more strokes than saves me... sold it on eBay, got enough money to buy 50* & 55* TaylorMade wedges on eBay

I think everyone should have a 64 in there bag. I have one i especially use it on tricky unusual shots and out of the bunker. If your a decent golf you should be able to handle it. If your a person who tends to chunk (or thins) there shots alot this is probably not the right club for you.

I bent a Nak 60* to a 64* which I use for specific courses...

Quote Originally Posted by conradmacdonald
    I think everyone should have a 64 in there bag. I have one i especially use it on tricky unusual shots and out of the bunker. If your a decent golf you should be able to handle it. If your a person who tends to chunk (or thins) there shots alot this is probably not the right club for you.
    Welcome back, Spank. You were sorely missed.....
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

With a 60° and the right ball you should be able to hold just about any shot. I use a 60° spin milled and a callaway tour i. The tour i spins more than any other ball on short shots. I only use the 60 around the greens. On a full shot when you get to the very lofted clubs it becomes difficult to control the distance. Plus again using the right ball you should have no problem holding a green from 30-100yds using a 54/56

PS. beware of golf shops that have a slight funneling affect on thier greens so that you hole more putts/chips.

just my .02

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by PrimusGolf
    "..... beware of golf shops that have a slight funneling affect on thier greens so that you hole more putts/chips...."

Dan
    So true! I recommend anytime you are looking for a new putter at a golf shop, bring your current one to compare side by side.

I can't imagine trying to hit a 64 degree wedge. I can't seem to find consistency with anything higher than 58 degrees of loft. Plus, you have to give up another club to put the 64 in your bag. Also, when hitting lob shots I like to open up the face a little or alot. I can't imagine trying to hit a lob shot with the face square.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I can't imagine trying to hit a 64 degree wedge. I can't seem to find consistency with anything higher than 58 degrees of loft. Plus, you have to give up another club to put the 64 in your bag. Also, when hitting lob shots I like to open up the face a little or alot. I can't imagine trying to hit a lob shot with the face square.
    I play a 63 degree wedge, with non-conforming box grooves, and insanely deep millings on the face. I can get it to stop on a dime in thick rough. I also play lob shots with the clubface always open.

Note that I carry 15 clubs. When I participate in small events such as the annual Cargill oil conference tournament, I remove the 4-iron. I can hit a short 3-iron or long 5-iron. Can't live without the 63 degree wedge.

I found a Cleveland 588 64 degree for 20 bucks at a local shop. It was demoed a few times, but was otherwise new. One of the courses I play tends to have very tricky pin placements where they are placed near trouble or at the edge of the green where you can shott side yourself pretty easily. When I play that course, I bring the 64 degree and ditch a long iron. I usually drop my 2 and 3 irons for a 5 wood or hybrid and the extra wedge.

I can hit the 64 degree with a smooth 3/4 swing consistently. I can get a full siwng with it if I am not on dead pan. I normally do not play this club though unless I know the course has a lot of short sided pins. Usually 58 degrees is enough loft for me for most lob shots.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

I think most golfers are better off getting good with a 56 wedge for a variety of shots. Hitting a high lob close is a rarity for all but the best golfers. Look at it this way, if you were to throw a ball with intent to get it close, say from 40 feet, would you throw it way up in the air and try to land it close or would you throw it lower, short of the hole and let it roll a bit? I have played with lob wedges, and found that I rarely got them close enough for an easy 1-putt and more often hit them poorly. Go hit 50 balls with a SW and 50 with a lob wedge from a variety of locations around a practice greet and see which club gives you shorter putts on average. I'll bet the 56 wins hands down for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesll9
    I think most golfers are better off getting good with a 56 wedge for a variety of shots. Hitting a high lob close is a rarity for all but the best golfers. Look at it this way, if you were to throw a ball with intent to get it close, say from 40 feet, would you throw it way up in the air and try to land it close or would you throw it lower, short of the hole and let it roll a bit? I have played with lob wedges, and found that I rarely got them close enough for an easy 1-putt and more often hit them poorly. Go hit 50 balls with a SW and 50 with a lob wedge from a variety of locations around a practice greet and see which club gives you shorter putts on average. I'll bet the 56 wins hands down for most people.
    For most players I think the rule of thumb is to use all the green you have to work with. From 40 feet, and I'm off the green 20 feet I'll use a 54*vockey because I typically get 50%fly and 50% roll and pick a spot just on the edge and roll it the rest of the way. 10 feet off and it's the same shot, different club, 50*vockey or pitching wedge (45*?) depending on lie. The important part is knowing what you're going to get from each club, same shot. Once you know that, the short game gets like chess. One of my favorite phases of the game.......Whoe. I just talked about golf and not Tiger.....That was cleansing...
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

I used to bag a 60 degree wedge. I called it the rob wedge, not the lob wedge. All it did was rob strokes from me. Part of the problem is you rarely use it, so you don't have any confidence in it. Unless you spend a good deal of time practicing with it, you are going to be losing strokes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolCat
    I used to bag a 60 degree wedge. I called it the rob wedge, not the lob wedge. All it did was rob strokes from me. Part of the problem is you rarely use it, so you don't have any confidence in it. Unless you spend a good deal of time practicing with it, you are going to be losing strokes with it.
    I was a long critic of the need for a 60 wedge and when I eventually bagged one out of curiosity I felt the same as you do about it. However over time I became more familiar with it. What it could do or not do. Now I find it invaluable and it definately saves me shots. The type of shots you can hit with it are just not feasible with a wedge of lesser lofts. The trick is when you use it. It is to some extent lie dependant but i play on a good course with excellent turf conditions. I have made some miraculous up and downs with this club. I have some reasonably big gaps at the other end of the bag because of it, and have thought of going back to 3 wedges but I am convinced now the 60 degree has to stay.
    I haven't tried a 64, that would be interesting, but academic, unless they lift the 14 club limit.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Thread Information