|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Irons and Driver For a Beginner

I took a golf class a couple years ago in college, and have been to the range a few times, but I'm trying to really learn the sport this summer. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what are good clubs for a beginner such as myself? I'd like to get something that will last me a few years, but also not too pricey. I was looking at some Nike CPR clubs, which were in my price range, but also seem to have gotten decent reviews. Any suggestions about those or any other clubs?

Also, I'm not sure what stiffness I should get. Is the regular stiffness more forgiving?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by thenewguy
    I took a golf class a couple years ago in college, and have been to the range a few times, but I'm trying to really learn the sport this summer. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what are good clubs for a beginner such as myself? I'd like to get something that will last me a few years, but also not too pricey. I was looking at some Nike CPR clubs, which were in my price range, but also seem to have gotten decent reviews. Any suggestions about those or any other clubs?

Also, I'm not sure what stiffness I should get. Is the regular stiffness more forgiving?

Thanks in advance.
    No problem. We are approached by beginners from time to time.

Before we begin - what is your total budget for clubs?

This will help us quite a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    No problem. We are approached by beginners from time to time.

Before we begin - what is your total budget for clubs?

This will help us quite a bit...
    I'd probably like to spend in the range of $500 for everything, some basic irons, a driver and a putter. I assume that the putter I can skimp on a little bit since there isn't that much technology involved?

Here's something I can handle.

Most large sports retailers (Dicks and the sports authority in my area) have complete sets, bag and all for around $300. I was eyeballing a set for my 11 year old not long ago but I can't remember if the irons were complete 3-pw...I think they were.

Several years ago I bought such a set. Dunlop surface to air they were called. oversized with an offset head, irons, 1,3 and five wood for $200. another 40 or so for a bag and I used them for years. I still use the 3 iron.

My game has always sucked due to lack of time and money.....I am turning that around this year.

I got a set of snake eyes irons and some TaylorMade LGC's. I did better with the cheap clubs, I think I was just so used to them.

Anyway, I digress........just pick up a set from your local mega retailer, Walmart or Target even and they will most likely suit you fine until you get the game bonded to your DNA and become a scratch golfer/ club whore.

edit:

This is the sort of thing I am thinking about; Club set
    Last edited by Slingblade61; 06-22-2004 at 06:30 PM.

Another thought

New guy:

OK for $500 here is what I would try...

1) Tommy Armour 845s irons. These are great clubs for the $$ and are particularly well known for helping you hit it straight. You can get a set on the internet for about $250..brand new. I have recommended these for many players and have had many beginning golfers tell me they have used them and are happy with them. BTW - one of the "regulars" in my Sunday morning group (handicap 6) plays with these so please know that they are very "legitimate" clubs for anyone..

2) Putter. You were right in your thought. Putters are extremely subjective and the best thing to do is to go to a local retailer and put for a couple of hours with several putters. Putters have gotten very expensive but there is no need to spend more than $50 for one. Tell the retailer you are a beginner and they can recommend several in this price range to try....

3) Driver. In this case, I would consider something used. Go to your retailer and see if they have some used drivers you can try out. You can get something about a year old for about $100 that will be very good.

4) Rescue/Hybrid Fairway club. I very very strongly recommend that you spend some $$ on this now. In fact, I think I would consider buying this before the driver. You will use this club very often and will find it to be much much easier to hit than your driver. You can use it off the tee and from the fairway and from the rough. This is a very important club and see if you can find a used one at a local retailer.

Good luck and let us know what you buy...

This is what I use.

It's light, classy and the chicks dig it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cleveland

Thanks in advance.
    I have a set of Cleveland TA-5 irons and love them. They're very forgiving, look great, and are relatively cheap compared to Callaways and TM's. Now that the TA-6 series is out, you'll probably find them even cheaper than the $300 I paid. Check out the Adams GT woods and driver. They're also very forgiving and at a great price.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll do some research and probably buy clubs within the next couple weeks. I'm shooting to schedule my first lesson by mid to late July.

Any other beginners on this board?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223

3) Driver. In this case, I would consider something used. Go to your retailer and see if they have some used drivers you can try out. You can get something about a year old for about $100 that will be very good.

4) Rescue/Hybrid Fairway club. I very very strongly recommend that you spend some $$ on this now. In fact, I think I would consider buying this before the driver. You will use this club very often and will find it to be much much easier to hit than your driver. You can use it off the tee and from the fairway and from the rough. This is a very important club and see if you can find a used one at a local retailer.

Good luck and let us know what you buy...

I agree with Bravo that the Rescue/Hybrid club is highly recommended. It is a club that you will get you out of deep s**t a lot of times. However, I think that when you are just starting out, it may be better to get a good 3 Wood (used one will do) rather than a driver if you are a bit tight on the money. You will probably find it a lot easier to tee off using a 3 wood and you will have more control over your shots. In the meantime, borrow a 'spare' driver from your friends and practice it at the driving range. When you can consistently hit your driver (i'm still trying to do that...), then consider buying one.

My first set 8 years ago was a set of Hippo irons, a Hippo Beast Driver, a callaway 3-wood, and wilson putter. I used the hippo's for about 3 years, as I developed I moved onto more well-known brands like Cleveland and Taylor Made.

The hippo's I used were great. They were playable, well made, and they come with a Lifetime Warranty. My driver had a crack in the shaft, they sent me a Brand new driver! So check out some equipment made by Hippo! They sell them at Edwin Watts, and some of their stuff has gotten pretty good, even for players that need performance. Although Daly used them for just their drivers, Woosnam is now using them. Here's a complete set

www.hippo-golf.com
    http://www.hippo-golf.com/us/OS11mens.html

And ANY Hippo items will cost you below $500. I'd say you could get a good set of their top of the line Irons for under $250, and drivers around $199
    [COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Garamond][B]Eat-Drink-Golf
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/B] [/FONT] [/COLOR]

Thanks in advance.
    I agree with Bravo about the Armour 845s. I played a set for a while and loved them. Straight clubs, and I got mine for $130 new on eBay. I just built a set of Acer XP Pros, which are even more forgiving and longer. You can get a set from www.gigagolf.com for less than $150.00 in steel. I can't say enough good about these irons!!! Dunlop Loco Pro woods are really forgiving for the fairway and tee, and are very affordable. (Leave a driver alone for a while, trust me.) Putters are for comfort, forget price and buy what feels right. I hope this helps.

2 cents

Heres a list of some of the most forgiving iron sets i can think of

Callaway Big Bertha
    Adams idea
    Ping G2 with HL
    Nike CPR
    Nike Sling shot
    Ram Wizard
    Mcgregor V foil m455
    Taylor made OS
    Cleveland TA6

And if you don't mind buying second hand
    Callaway Big Bertha / Hawk eye / Tungsten injected
    Ping ISI-K / I3-O size
    Adams GT ultimate
    Armour 845 Oversized

As for a driver I think you should wait its one of the hardest clubs to hit and you wont loss much distance if you use a three or even five wood instead. Just get an over sized one Hippo do some good woods at reasonable Prices or you could Pick up a second hand Callaway Great big Bertha , Biggest big bertha or Ping isi ti for a bit more. Putters are totally subjective and any thing that feels right is right. As for shaft flex Leave your ego at home and go for regular Its not strength and physical condition that generates power in a golf swing but technical proficiency. Hope that helps

Thanks again for the advice guys.

I've been researching and I think I've narrowed my irons to these 4:

Cleveland TA5 (TA6 are probably better, but don't want to spend so much just yet)
    T. Armour 845 Oversize
    T. Armour 845 Silver Scot
    Taylor Made 360 XD

A friend recommended the 360's to me and they've gotta glowing reviews on this site. Has anyone tried these before?

Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    Heres a list of some of the most forgiving iron sets i can think of

Callaway Big Bertha
    Adams idea
    Ping G2 with HL
    Nike CPR
    Nike Sling shot
    Ram Wizard
    Mcgregor V foil m455
    Taylor made OS
    Cleveland TA6

And if you don't mind buying second hand
    Callaway Big Bertha / Hawk eye / Tungsten injected
    Ping ISI-K / I3-O size
    Adams GT ultimate
    Armour 845 Oversized

As for a driver I think you should wait its one of the hardest clubs to hit and you wont loss much distance if you use a three or even five wood instead. Just get an over sized one Hippo do some good woods at reasonable Prices or you could Pick up a second hand Callaway Great big Bertha , Biggest big bertha or Ping isi ti for a bit more. Putters are totally subjective and any thing that feels right is right. As for shaft flex Leave your ego at home and go for regular Its not strength and physical condition that generates power in a golf swing but technical proficiency. Hope that helps

Are you saying don't go with shaft flex as a beginner (which I am) and go with s steel shaft?

Thanks

Namvet66

shaft flex

Hi Namvet66 sorry if I wasnt clear I was trying to say go with regular to begin with.

Thanks again for the advice guys.

I've been researching and I think I've narrowed my irons to these 4:

Cleveland TA5 (TA6 are probably better, but don't want to spend so much just yet)
    T. Armour 845 Oversize
    T. Armour 845 Silver Scot
    Taylor Made 360 XD

A friend recommended the 360's to me and they've gotta glowing reviews on this site. Has anyone tried these before?

I've been playing with a 360Ti, (not XD) for about a year and for me at least they are forgiving & pretty long. I get about the same distance as my old Hawkeye on good shots but the mishits aren't much different. I would also recommend utility club or clubs. They're real easy to hit and versatile. I have two (Nike cause they were on sale) and use them more that anything else except maybe the putter. Good luck and try to hold some money back for more lessons.

thanks again for the advice.

I went to a local shop today and demoed the Taylor Made 360XD, Armour 845s Silver Scot, and Armour Evo irons. I took about 15 shots with the 6 iron of each, and came to the conclusion that the 360's are for me. The salesperson described the Silver Scots as more of a blade, and when I hit with them, I did indeed feel like I had less control. The Evo's were much better, but I still felt like I had less consistency and control than the when hitting with the 360s. I think I like something that is a little more sturdy, and maybe heavier, so I'm going to go with the 360s. I will order them soon.

Next step: finding a 3 wood.

thanks again for the advice.

I went to a local shop today and demoed the Taylor Made 360XD, Armour 845s Silver Scot, and Armour Evo irons. I took about 15 shots with the 6 iron of each, and came to the conclusion that the 360's are for me. The salesperson described the Silver Scots as more of a blade, and when I hit with them, I did indeed feel like I had less control. The Evo's were much better, but I still felt like I had less consistency and control than the when hitting with the 360s. I think I like something that is a little more sturdy, and maybe heavier, so I'm going to go with the 360s. I will order them soon.

Next step: finding a 3 wood.
    Its all about what fits you and your swing and what your comfortable with, good luck the the TM's they are solid irons. Once again look for something that suits you in a 3 wood but as a place to start I would suggest a callaway steelhead they are a real solid fairway wood.

I've made my first golf purchases.

1) Saturday: got an Izzo golf bag on clearance from Dick's for $60

2) Monday: Ordered a set of TM 360 XD's on sale and should have them today. I tried out these and the Armour Silver Scots at Dick's and felt more consistency with the TM's.

3) Thursday. Ordered an Adams Tight Lies GT 3 Wood on Ebay. Wanted to save some money for lessons, so opted for this instead of a more expensive model.

I'm itching to go to the range, but unfortunately won't be able to get out there till next weekend. Can't wait to try these out.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Another AntiTennisbumbishop

I've made my first golf purchases.

1) Saturday: got an Izzo golf bag on clearance from Dick's for $60

2) Monday: Ordered a set of TM 360 XD's on sale and should have them today. I tried out these and the Armour Silver Scots at Dick's and felt more consistency with the TM's.

3) Thursday. Ordered an Adams Tight Lies GT 3 Wood on Ebay. Wanted to save some money for lessons, so opted for this instead of a more expensive model.

I'm itching to go to the range, but unfortunately won't be able to get out there till next weekend. Can't wait to try these out.

Thanks again for all the advice.
    You (like Nam) get another ATBB award for seeking advice, narrowing your choices, TRYing out clubs and Making a Friggin Decision.

You got very good irons that will serve for years and your choice of 3wood and bag is spot on.

Keep you head down and grind away on those lessons. Keep a very regular routine in terms of lesson, practice on range 2x week and play 1x week if possible. If your schedule permits, this regular routine (vs having intense activity and then leaving your clubs for a month) will net better results.

Thanks for your note and keep us posted.....

Congratulations!! This all sounds so familiar.....

My 360DX iron set is due in today (I can't wait to see the Brown truck drive up with them). Got myself a Callaway bag at Dick's yesterday. I'm calling a local pro today for lessons. And I'm looking for a good 3-wood...

Enjoy the new clubs....

Thread Information