|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Wedge Bending

Wedge Bending

I just went down to my local Edwin Watts store to get some advice.

My recent dilemma has been with even distribution with my wedge distances.

I bought a 52* gap wedge a few months ago and figured this would solve many of my shots from 120-130yrd. My Taylor Made Rac LT's have a pitch wedge that is 47* which I hit 135-145yrd.

Recently this Gap wedge (TM Rac TP Black) was only giving me 100-110 with a lot of height, I mean I would sky it. I was missing greens from 120 by ten yards. Pissing me off, I was cursing the hell out the stupid club.

So yesterday, I talked to a couple of guys and eventually ended up bending the gap to 51*

Took it to the range yesterday. From the range, its seems like I have a better distribution between the PW, GW, and 56* (56* gives me 100-110). Problem somewhat solved.

Now here's the new main problem. I have a 58* titleist vokey with high bounce, 12*. I freaking hate this club now. Great out of sand but I can only get 70-80 yards out of a full swing. One local pro told me with had to do with the high bounce. And if I have a low bounce 58* I could get more distance out of the full swing.

I kinda somewhat agree only because I had purchased a 12$, 60* from wal mart to see what a wedge like that feels like and it had a low bounce, and I could hit it 80yrds with a nice and easy full swing. From this analysis, I figured a 58* would get me the 85-95 yard shot I was looking for without having such a high lofted club like the 60*.

Anyone else experiencing wedge problems or go through anything like I have described?

Your thoughts.

Thanks, sorry for the long thread.
    Last edited by Reyes463; 07-19-2006 at 08:27 AM.
    I hate this game! (smack) I love this game! (smack)
    I hate this game and love this game!

[B]Driver[/B] - Cleveland Launcher 9.5*
    [B]5W[/B] - Adams Low Profile RPM
    [B]3i-PW [/B]- TM RAC LT2
    [B]51*[/B] - TM RAC Black TP Wedge (Y-Groove)
    [B]56*[/B] - Tommy Armour 845
    [B]58*[/B] - Titleist Vokey Spin Milled
    [B]Putter[/B] - Odyssey Duel Force 2

[B]Handi - 8.4[/B]

I had a similar problem with my wedges about 2 years ago. I had a nice set of Wilson DynaPower wedges (52*, 56* and 60). I play on fairly hard/tightly mown fairways and the wedges tended to either slide right under the ball (giving me a high, weak, short flight) or bounce off the ground and blade the ball. Also, my old PW was 46*, so there was about a 25-30 yard difference between it and my GW (kinda defeats the purpose). So I went to my local golf shop and asked about bending my wedges. They said that since they were forged it wasn't a problem (cast irons tend to have less ability to withstand bending), but to remember that for every 1* of loft removed, it would also lessen the bounce by 1* (this would also help me hit the ball cleaner since more bounce is good for plush fairways, which mine aren't). After that, I was hitting the ball a lot cleaner and further (plus I deceided to practice with them more).

I recently changed clubs, but made sure to get 54* and 58* wedges instead of the standard 56* and 60* (less bounce on both).

For anyone looking to buy new wedges, I say you should take your course into consideration when making a decision. Harder/tighter fairways = less bounce. Softer/plush fairways = more bounce.
    [COLOR="Red"]TaylorMade R7 Quad 7.5* Driver
    TaylorMade Retro Tour Spoon 13* 3 Wood
    TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP 16*, 19* and 22* Hybrids
    TaylorMade Rac OS2 5-PW
    TaylorMade Rac Black 54* SW
    TaylorMade Rac Fe2O3 58* LW
    Odyssey 2 Ball 33" Putter

Drive For Show, Putt For Dough!!![/COLOR]

My thoughts are as follows: Anyone who gets mad at the club is blaming the wrong thing. When you bent your wedge you also changed the flange and not to the good. Trying to hit your clubs the same distance as the pros is a lesson in futility. Swing easy, score low. Super distance is for 1) pros 2) guys who think with their nuts 3) long distance competitions

Just my thoughts and you did ask. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    My thoughts are as follows: Anyone who gets mad at the club is blaming the wrong thing. When you bent your wedge you also changed the flange and not to the good. Trying to hit your clubs the same distance as the pros is a lesson in futility. Swing easy, score low. Super distance is for 1) pros 2) guys who think with their nuts 3) long distance competitions

Just my thoughts and you did ask. Good luck.
    I was a pro. (in baseball)

If I swing easy with my pitch wedge it goes 140yrds, I needed to find a solution for 120-130 yrds. I am not too well versed in the science of "bounce" and how it effects the way a ball is struck and the distance applied. That is why I was aksing if others had similar problems and what they might have done to correct them.

Thanks anyway.

[B]Handi - 8.4[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Reyes463

If I swing easy with my pitch wedge it goes 140yrds, I needed to find a solution for 120-130 yrds. I am not too well versed in the science of "bounce" and how it effects the way a ball is struck and the distance applied. That is why I was aksing if others had similar problems and what they might have done to correct them.

Thanks anyway.
    did you try a 50* wedge that might work

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    did you try a 50* wedge that might work
    Now that my 52 is a 51, I'm anxious to try it out on the course, but I won't get out again until sunday, it looked good at the range. I was hitting my PW(47*), 52/51, 56 and gauging the distance between them. The major drop off is at the 58*. I go from 56* at 100-110 to 70-80 with the 58*with 12* bounce.

If I had a 58* with lower bounce would I get more distance by bounce principal alone?

Does the amount of bounce affect the distance? A local club pro, which I don't trust, said it does. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this issue.

[B]Handi - 8.4[/B]

The reason the 58 degree wedge is hitting 70-80 yards is because it is 58 degrees, not because it has a high bounce. If you strengthen the loft to 56 degrees, you will increase the distance, and also decrease the bounce by 2 degrees as well. But it will be the decreased loft, not the change in bounce that will be responsible. Bounce mainly comes into play when dealing with hardpan or very soft bunkers, or heavier rough around a green. But it isn't a big contributor to distance, or lack of it.
    As far as altering bounce angle by altering loft, I'm told that it is about 1:1. That is: 1 degree of increased loft (eg. 58 to 59 degrees) will increase bounce by 1 degree. 1 degree of decreased loft (eg. 58 to 57 degrees) will decrease bounce by 1 degree.
    Personally, I find that changing a wedge loft by one degree makes about 5 yards difference on average, in my hands. I've looked at this systematically and carefully, and that's what happens. Your mileage may vary. I do find it useful to have wedges bent an extra degree or two stronger or weaker if I have too big a distance gap between clubs. But you have to realize that you may be making a subtle difference in the way the wedge will handle a bunker.
    Last edited by dorkman53; 07-19-2006 at 12:27 PM.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

hahaha. What a douche. "glory days...."

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    The reason the 58 degree wedge is hitting 70-80 yards is because it is 58 degrees, not because it has a high bounce. If you strengthen the loft to 56 degrees, you will increase the distance, and also decrease the bounce by 2 degrees as well. But it will be the decreased loft, not the change in bounce that will be responsible. Bounce mainly comes into play when dealing with hardpan or very soft bunkers, or heavier rough around a green. But it isn't a big contributor to distance, or lack of it.
    As far as altering bounce angle by altering loft, I'm told that it is about 1:1. That is: 1 degree of increased loft (eg. 58 to 59 degrees) will increase bounce by 1 degree. 1 degree of decreased loft (eg. 58 to 57 degrees) will decrease bounce by 1 degree.
    Personally, I find that changing a wedge loft by one degree makes about 5 yards difference on average, in my hands. I've looked at this systematically and carefully, and that's what happens. Your mileage may vary. I do find it useful to have wedges bent an extra degree or two stronger or weaker if I have too big a distance gap between clubs. But you have to realize that you may be making a subtle difference in the way the wedge will handle a bunker.
    All covered in my first reply. Ha.
    [COLOR="Red"]TaylorMade R7 Quad 7.5* Driver
    TaylorMade Retro Tour Spoon 13* 3 Wood
    TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP 16*, 19* and 22* Hybrids
    TaylorMade Rac OS2 5-PW
    TaylorMade Rac Black 54* SW
    TaylorMade Rac Fe2O3 58* LW
    Odyssey 2 Ball 33" Putter

Drive For Show, Putt For Dough!!![/COLOR]

I have a similar issue.

I have a 45 PW so I added a 51 GW, 56 SW and 60 LW.

There is still a slight gap between the 45 PW and the 51 GW and I sometimes leave approaches short with the 51 GW.

In hindsight I wonder if should have bought PW 45, GW 49, SW 54 & LW 58

There is still a slight gap between the 45 PW and the 51 GW

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I have a similar issue.

I have a 45 PW so I added a 51 GW, 56 SW and 60 LW.

There is still a slight gap between the 45 PW and the 51 GW and I sometimes leave approaches short with the 51 GW.

In hindsight I wonder if should have bought PW 45, GW 49, SW 54 & LW 58
    really? "...There is still a slight gap between the 45 PW and the 51 GW..." and you already have four wedges. seems like you're thinking too much.
    have you seen a teaching pro recently?
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

I could throw a pigskin a quarter mile back in 1986

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd_Christmas3
    hahaha. What a douche. "glory days...."
    Yea, glory days, at least I had them.

[B]Handi - 8.4[/B]

Yea, glory days, at least I had them.

Cool, can you tell us more? We are all dying to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman
    really? "...There is still a slight gap between the 45 PW and the 51 GW..." and you already have four wedges. seems like you're thinking too much.
    have you seen a teaching pro recently?
    LOL – yeah 4 wedges!!! Seems crazy doesn’t it!

When I bought my current set I only intended to get 4-PW plus a Sand wedge. When I found the big gap between my 45 PW and my 56 SW I realised that I needed a gap wedge.

The 51 GW seemed to fit the gap nicely but in hindsight I think the 49 GW might have been the better choice. The 45 PW is part of a set of deep CB GI irons so it naturally hits it further than the blade of the 51 GW. Therefore a stronger 49 GW might have been the better option. However the 51 GW is still a great club and I’ll be sticking with this setup now that I have it. The 60 LW is a more recent addition and I don’t use it that much and often don’t carry it. However I would never be without my 56 SW.

Last time I had a lesson was a month or two ago and it was a lesson on the short game. I suggested during the lesson that the SW was all I needed but the pro recommended adding a LW!

bend 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    ... 51 GW seemed to fit the gap nicely but in hindsight I think the 49 GW might have been the better..
    just get your 51 bent to 49, for mere $5 here at GolfSmiths. that may easy you mind...for a while.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Man coach should have put me in the 4th quarter. We woulda won State.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    Man coach should have put me in the 4th quarter. We woulda won State.

hahaha - nice.

"How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd_Christmas3
    hahaha - nice.

"How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?"

"Yeah?"

Quick, take my prime rib and show me how accurate you are

Why not just carry 13 wedges, and a putter of course...

Bounce has nothing to do with distance, cleanliness of strike is affected by bounce, but bounce itself i dont believe affects distance. It just seems like having that many wedges would tend to complicate things...why not learn some new shots with the PW or SW.

ANother thing is are you hitting of the litlle green astro turf mats at the range? If you are then you may think you are striking well only to find out on grass that you are not....

Quote Originally Posted by 19handicap
    muscle up macho man. thats pathetic.
    Do you take everything you read out of context? Your as bad as a tabloid.

[B]Handi - 8.4[/B]

I play a 54-09 and get yardage differences based on the lie and flight. There are so many different wedge shots and trajectories it's hard to say what the distance is for me. I pretty much play by all feel once I'm between the 150 and 100yd. markers. It actually has helped that I play a course with no yardage markers most of the time. Then when I go to a course with markers I can tell when they are either very off or uphill/downhill will drastically effect the distance. I played a short course last week that had a par 3 listed at 142. I nearly holed it with a 50*. Had I believed that yardage and pulled a 9iron someone would have needed a new windshield. Also I'll back you on longer wedge yardages due to your previous career. The wedge shot is a steeper swing and the forearm strength really comes into play. I am a professional mover and get about 30hrs. worth of forearm workout per week carrying couches, bureaus, pianos ect.

Thread Information