|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Match play strategies... post yours.

I love matchplay and strategy is very important as compared to standard medal play. Lets here your strategies, here are some of mine:

- On the first tee, after shaking hands, I always try and stand near my opponent. 95% of the time I'm taller, and any intimidation is good intimidation.

- I tend to wear tighter fitting clothing to appear more together, fit, and strong. I try to stay clean shaved and composed, as if I'm in control.

- If possible, I take a 3-wood or a long iron off the first tee after my opponent has hit driver. This tells them, "I hit the ball too damn far to hit driver, I'll leave that to you." May not be true, but thats the attitude.

- I give up my honors whenever possible. This establishes a feel that I'm in the control of the match, and they'll hit when I want them to.

- I always discretely leave a towel over my irons on a par 3 just in case my opponent is curious as to what club I hit or am going to.

- I concede putts by hitting the ball to them, not declaring, "That's good." I don't know why, but this just lets the guy know I'm not overly impressed with his shot/chip/putt.

Now lets hear yours...
    "You got a choice. You can stop, or you can start."
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

I ask myself "what would BPC do in this situation" then do the opposite.

I put the ball in the hole with fewer strokes. With that strategy, I win every time.

I just play the game like a gentleman should & not resort to cheap trickery. If I play the better golf, I win & vice-versa.

People trying to intimidate & play tricks on their opponent are disgraceful & should be barred from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by garcia is god
    I just play the game like a gentleman should & not resort to cheap trickery. If I play the better golf, I win & vice-versa.

People trying to intimidate & play tricks on their opponent are disgraceful & should be barred from the game.
    You mean you don't wear tight shirts, stand right next to your opponent, slap his balls away from the hole and generally act like an insufferable prick?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd_Christmas3
    You mean you don't wear tight shirts, stand right next to your opponent, slap his balls away from the hole and generally act like an insufferable prick?
    Pretty much.. though when I do wear my tightest shorts, I "discretely" place a towel over my genitalia just in case my opponent starts to get curious.

I kick the guy square in the nuts during his practice swing every time. If it's a female, I kick her in the baby-maker.

I definitely don't pull any stupid gamesmanship crap. My opponents are people I'll likely play with in the future and I don't want to come off like a d1ck.
    Maybe I'll play for the middle of the green if he hits OB.

lmao - too funny!

on the otherhand i have played many matchplay matches as that is what the junior league matches are. i just talk to them like they were my friends. some people dont like talking but feel they have to when i talk to them - talking takes my mind off what i'm doing aswell and i play better that way.

i played against one little knobby in the semi-finals - he was like "yeah i play off 18 but i shot par last time i was here", "i'm the net junior champion at my course, i shot 2 over, which is 16 under my handicap", then his dad turned up and caddied for him (which is against the rules), because my team had already lost and the outcome of my game didn't matter - this is what his dad said loud and clear. i did win 3&2 but we lost 1.5/4.5.

he stood beside me before every shot to see what shot i had to hit. problem was he was smaller than me and my shirt was tighter than his - boy was he in for it...

he reminds me off you Beth.
    [CENTER][B][COLOR="Red"]11[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

I wear short shorts, with a red thong with the label stickin out of my ass crack...Pretty sight when teeing up, taking the ball out of the hole, and crouching while reading the line.
    Callaway FT3 Neutral 9.5* Tour
    Cleveland Launcher Ti 15* 19* 25*
    Callaway X-18 PS 5-PW
    Cleveland 50* 56* 60*
    Cameron SS Newport 2 35"

I try to step on my opponents putting line on accident. On every hole.

I stand so that the head of my shadow is directly over the hole and then sway back and forth while humming softy. While my opponent putts.

I make my opponent putt out from 2 inches away and right as he's about to make contact with the ball I scream "MISS IT!!!!". If he complains I explain that he's being a baby and that there's no way he could have missed that putt.

I wait for him to be further out and while he stands there waiting to hit I fire one right at him, hitting him in the small of the back, and then yell "shank!!!!"

On our way down the fairway I talk to him about swinging couples and ask if he and his wife/girlfriend are into it. If he says yes I tell him I'm not married but I'd like to bang his wife.

If my opponent hits a good shot and I can tell he's proud of it I'll get right up in his face and say things like" OH, YOU THINK YOU"RE THE SH-T NOW?!?!?".

Pretty much I'm a complete a-hole the entire time.

Just to win a gift certificate from the proshop. Like a fu-king idiot.

I put the ball in the hole with fewer strokes. With that strategy, I win every time.
    sry bdgiant, thats wrong.... i played a match with a friend of mine the other day, he shot 81 while i shot a 76, and he won. The holes he lost didnt matter if he lost by 1 or by 10, its one point in the match, and he played well on the holes he needed to, and halved the ones he needed to, and won 2&1.

Ive never played any "actual" matchplay other then just with friends, so im not guna use tactics against friends i play with all the time. But i am looking for a match play event to get into. If anyone hears of a match play event in the lower mainland of BC, let me know.
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

After they hit it out of the sandtrap and are raking it, I take a dump on their golf ball and tell them that he's being a ***** when he marks the ball and cleans off my feces.
    My Bag:

[B]Driver:[/B] Taylormade R7 HT 10.5
    [B]5 Wood[/B]: Taylormade R7 TP 18.5
    [B]7 Wood[/B]: Taylormade R5 21
    [B]Hybrid[/B]: Taylormade Rescue Mid 25
    [B]Irons[/B]: Mizuno MP-60 4-PW
    [B]GW[/B]: Cleveland CG11 50
    [B]SW[/B]: Cleveland CG10 56
    [B]LW[/B]: Titliest Vokey SM 60
    [B]Putter(s[/B]): Scotty Cameron Mil Spec, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2
    [B]Bag:[/B]: Taylormade R7 Stand Bag
    [B]Shoes[/B]: Soon to be Adidas Tour 360's
    [B]Ball[/B]: Maxfli BlackMax

BPC, if you are serious, you need some therapy.... I have only played this format for fun with my friends. I am usually a much higher cap so I just play within my limits and let them try to play birdie-par to match my par-bogey play on the stroke holes. I do play against my dad all the time and it always ends up like match play on the back. There are 2 back to back 400yd. par 4's that I usually take the lead for good on though.

I used to play matchplay every weekend when I was at University, four matches on Saturday and Sunday, fourball or foursomes followed by singles. At lunch the members used to get us students drunk on red wine and port so the afternoon singles were a bit trickey, though the alcohol was useful fortification against the freezing winds in January and February.

Always found the best tactic was to lose 7&6 and get back to the bar as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sels41
    After they hit it out of the sandtrap and are raking it, I take a dump on their golf ball and tell them that he's being a ***** when he marks the ball and cleans off my feces.
    You know I tend to use that strategy too. The wet ones are harder to clean so I try to hold it for when I have drank a lot of water. Sometimes I will pee and take a dump on the ball and then mix it in sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Benguk
    You know I tend to use that strategy too. The wet ones are harder to clean so I try to hold it for when I have drank a lot of water. Sometimes I will pee and take a dump on the ball and then mix it in sand.

Ooohhhhhh, that sounds slightly interesting. But what if they're a fast raker and you don't have time for both?!?!?!?!
    My Bag:

Quote Originally Posted by Sels41
    Ooohhhhhh, that sounds slightly interesting. But what if they're a fast raker and you don't have time for both?!?!?!?!
    Well you really have multiple options in this situation. Sometimes I just throw rocks at him and hope he temporarily loses vision or gets knocked unconcious. A rock throw could also get him very angry and he has a rake in his hand so be careful. You must throw the rock hard or else he will be able to regain strength quickly and fight you.
    Another option you have is to throw branches, sticks, nikes, or leaves into the bunker so that he has to clean it up. The danger of this is it may only stall him for a few moments and unless you are a quick shitter you may not be able to successfully dump on the ball. If you rush you may miss and this strategy is possibly the tuffest.
    Yet another option you have is to try to mess up the sand. Throwing a Carmelo Anthony, stepping in the sand, throwing his bag into the sand, or seriously messing the sand will make him have to rake more. This strategy is difficult because throwing large objects into a bunker may look suspicious to bystanders.
    There are many more ways, but these were my favorites that I use most.

haha BPC, some of those are great. I wish I knew them for this past season. The kids I play against in highschool just aren't as knowledgable as I am when it comes to the rules of golf. whenever I'm away and they step up to their balls I just let them go ahead and swing. If its a terrible shot I won't say anything but I make them hit another one if its decent at all. I've only done this twice but both times the guys completely duffed their second shots. Another time a kid sunk a 15 footer for par but the flagstick was still in and I called him on it. You'd be surprised how many guys ground the club in bunkers too. Yeah I know, I'm an a$$hole when I play competitively but my opponents should know the rules better.
    Last edited by LesIsMore; 07-20-2006 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LesIsMore
    haha BPC, some of those are great. I wish I knew them for this past season. The kids I play against in highschool just aren't as knowledgable as I am when it comes to the rules of golf. whenever I'm away and they step up to their ball's I just let them go ahead and swing. If its a terrible shot I won't say anything but I make them hit another one if its decent at all. I've only done this twice but both times the guys completely duffed their second shots. Another time a kid sunk a 15 footer for par but the flagstick was still in and I called him on it. You'd be surprised how many guys ground the club in bunkers too. Yeah I know, I'm an a$$hole when I play competitively but my opponents should know the rules better.
    Gosh I'm so glad the future of the USA is in such good hands.

I Tonya Harding them in the parking lot and listen to the screams of Why?, Why?. Man that makes me smile the rest of the day.
    Let the sun shine in, face it with a grin. Open up your heart and let the sun shine in. (where the **** are the music notes on this ****ing thing).

I love you Meantime!

Quote Originally Posted by Benguk
    I love you Meantime!
    As well you should.

Quote Originally Posted by Singsling
    Gosh I'm so glad the future of the USA is in such good hands.
    Yeah, Benguk and I are nothing but fine young gentlemen. Wait, is that dripping sarcasm I sense?

Quote Originally Posted by 19handicap
    i let my shots speak for themselves.
    Yea it's too bad they lost their voices in that tragic accident.

Shower your opponent with kindness, as with any person(s) I'm playing with. It's a freakin' game.

"Well done."

"Nice."

Simple, little comments such as that.

One can tell pretty quickly if they're an intensive jerkoff and taking the match way too seriously (depending). If it gets to an uncomfortable status and...

1) his girlfriend is caddying/following him around...

2) his mother and father are following around

Start, polite, harmless chit-chat with the girlfriend and/or mother (depending on your age).

If he's beating you and getting cocky? Flirt openly with the girlfriend and/or mother (depending on your age).

IMHO...

RS

Unsufferable prick? 95% of the time I'm a friendly guy on the golf course, but when I actually get to play match play competitively, whats wrong with taking it a little bit seriously and strategizing?

Also, don't take that tight shirt comment too seriously. I don't walk around looking like Fabio. By tight, I mean fitting, not the tolken golf shirt that is two sizes too big. We'll see how much you can milk that out.

Honestly Lloyd, you've been trolling this forum for about a year now. We've never learned anything about you, your golf game, or anything related. I've had the arising suspicion you're just a lonely soul whos a little nifty with the keyboard. Perhaps you have nothing to bring to the table.

Ahh why beat around the bush? I think you're just a screw up, and I suspect I'm not the only one who thinks this. What grown responsible man would spend his days ridiculing people on the internet? I'm more of a man at 17 than you will ever be. I don't hide behind a mysterious identity in the anonymity of the internet. I have faults, and I'll admit them. You haven't gotten half that far. You're just one of those kids in high school who just never grew up and made it. I'm not pulling the teen card here, but do you realize how pathetic it really is? Don't take it out on me.

I know you'll have some quick smart remark to come back with, and you'll think you won again. However, the majority of the members on this forum think you're a bleeding idiot. Please leave, we don't want you here.
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"
    "Right back to where you always been... and then stand there... Still... real still... And remember... "

Quote Originally Posted by bethpage caddy
    Unsufferable prick? 95% of the time I'm a friendly guy on the golf course, but when I actually get to play match play competitively, whats wrong with taking it a little bit seriously and strategizing?

Also, don't take that tight shirt comment too seriously. I don't walk around looking like Fabio. By tight, I mean fitting, not the tolken golf shirt that is two sizes too big. We'll see how much you can milk that out.

Honestly Lloyd, you've been trolling this forum for about a year now. We've never learned anything about you, your golf game, or anything related. I've had the arising suspicion you're just a lonely soul whos a little nifty with the keyboard. Perhaps you have nothing to bring to the table.

Ahh why beat around the bush? I think you're just a screw up, and I suspect I'm not the only one who thinks this. What grown responsible man would spend his days ridiculing people on the internet? I'm more of a man at 17 than you will ever be. I don't hide behind a mysterious identity in the anonymity of the internet. I have faults, and I'll admit them. You haven't gotten half that far. You're just one of those kids in high school who just never grew up and made it. I'm not pulling the teen card here, but do you realize how pathetic it really is? Don't take it out on me.

I know you'll have some quick smart remark to come back with, and you'll think you won again. However, the majority of the members on this forum think you're a bleeding idiot. Please leave, we don't want you here.
    Wow BPC...that stings. Why the hate? :(

Why is it that whenever I type something, morning or night, Lloyd is ALWAYS on the computer to answer in less than 5 minutes? Jeez, get out of your house for once.
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"

Why is it that whenever I type something, morning or night, Lloyd is ALWAYS on the computer to answer in less than 5 minutes? Jeez, get out of your house for once.
    LC3 is everywhere.

I can't believe no one has mentioned how you should take one or both tee box markers, and either beat your opponent with its blunt side or stab him in the gut with the stake end...Jeebus...do any of you play match play at all?

buuuuuuuuurrrnnnnn. That was cold BPC, but it's completely true.
    My Bag:

Quote Originally Posted by opus&binkley
    I can't believe no one has mentioned how you should take one or both tee box markers, and either beat your opponent with its blunt side or stab him in the gut with the stake end...Jeebus...do any of you play match play at all?
    I think it would be more debilitating to stab your opponent through the eye. Personally, I'd like to see the optic nerve swinging around.

Then you could take your driver and tee up the eye ball. How far do you think that would travel?
    I hate this game! (smack) I love this game! (smack)
    I hate this game and love this game!

[B]Driver[/B] - Cleveland Launcher 9.5*
    [B]5W[/B] - Adams Low Profile RPM
    [B]3i-PW [/B]- TM RAC LT2
    [B]51*[/B] - TM RAC Black TP Wedge (Y-Groove)
    [B]56*[/B] - Tommy Armour 845
    [B]58*[/B] - Titleist Vokey Spin Milled
    [B]Putter[/B] - Odyssey Duel Force 2

[B]Handi - 8.4[/B]

Well I guess I do this sometime.

I always like to light up a big fat Cuban cigar prior to my opponent teeing off. Most people hate the smell of a cigar and it makes a great distraction in most cases. If they really hate smoke, I'm already in his head before he tees off.
    TM r5 TP Diamana 83
    Mizuno F-50 15*
    Cobra Baffler 20*
    Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
    Mizuno MP-T 52*
    Ping iWedge 56*
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Chrome 60* (pfft!)
    Cameron Circa 62 #2
    Mizuno Twister Staff Bag

Bengunk, are you not leaving?

Tight fitting clothes? This is the dumbest post I have ever read. People who worry that much about their opponent are missing the point.

What happens if you lose? You get closed out on the 12th hole and have to hump it all the way back to the clubhouse wearing tight ass clothes and looking like some foursome's pivot man?

He wants his polos to hug his tuff muscles.

I really like to mention to my opponent on the first tee that 'In case you know, I've got the Woodie System goin' on in my pants so don't get too close'. This really fazes them. also when they bend down to pick up their ball I like to mention about how great they look and I ask if they work out. You can't do this if you're not straight off the tee however, as they will not help you look for the ball in the woods.
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

LMAO. Some funny posts going on in this thread.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Match play rules

You guys know more about match play than me,but a thought you can't give up honors(as BPC does) and also if you know someone is hitting out of turn should't you say something before they hit(les more)?

Uncanny

I once played a guy who used very similiar statagey.Theres a post on it half way down the 198 vs 227 distance thread.Must be very common stratagy.What are the odds....

I'd give it 15/4
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

three players

got three players wanting to play against each other in golf match play: now what?
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman
    got three players wanting to play against each other in golf match play: now what?

3 players??? thats a lot of tight shirts

Play skins. It's close to match play and fixes the two players tied problem of 3 way match play. You don't even have to bet, skins can be treated like points.
    It's not the Arrow, It's the Indian

"split skins match"

when three of us are scoring, we play "split skins match"
    winner get a point.
    top two low scores split, halves.
    three way tie carrys, like skins.
    gross strokes break match ties. if there's still a tie, then the gross score of the last hole and so on breaks that tie.

my strategy for winning any match (we assigned handicap holes based on Index or estimated Index) is simple, but hard to do: get on fairway, then stay on fairway, then get down in three...shoot for steadly Bogies and let the others blow up first.

8- and/or 7-irons, a wedge on, two putts...at least that's the plan.. aint glamorous, but gets results. but as soon as i'm ahead i'll break out a long wood then drill a 6- or 5- iron...the real fun in golf, but not as controlled.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    3 players??? thats a lot of tight shirts
    ha ha ha ha... I bet you're one of those fatties who wears their shirts 3 sizes too big to try and cover up your body. I feel bad for you.

Also, the jokes getting old. Get some new material.
    "Start?
    "Walkin"
    "Where?"

Just like in professional rasselin' .... locker room justice usually takes care of "problems" that are encountered on the course of play.
    Bertha 2004 Titanium
    Tight lies, 3, 5+, 7+
    Tommy Armour 845s 3-SW

Adams Golf GT2 Undercut 60 degree lob
    (...the jury is still out on the lob)

60's Acushnet Bullseye (workhorse)

Odessey Rossi II putter that only works on Billiard table greens

Golf is a game where the ball lies poorly, and the players well. --anon.

ha ha ha ha... I bet you're one of those fatties who wears their shirts 3 sizes too big to try and cover up your body. I feel bad for you.

Also, the jokes getting old. Get some new material.
    Actually, my body fat is currently a hair under 10%, I also have a beard, and my clothing fits properly.
    I just dont see the point in looking like a tool to try and intimidate someone.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    I usually show up wearing the nike swoosh from head to toe. Then I will remark about how upset I am that my dad passed away and didn't see my last 2 major wins. Then I'll pull my "Frankie" headcover off my driver and remark how I wish Steve wasn't sick so he could caddie for me today. That usually quickly instills some fear in my opponent.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

i always like to talk shi.t about their inferior equipment and if they have hybrids on every box i say: " Ma'am you know you can hit from the front tees right? you dont have to hit from back here with the men." this especially works well if they are actually male... ironically most hybrid carriers are always female... ugly as hell but still female
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

NOW I'll win my match for sure, even though I have to give the ****er 10 shots.

I miss Garcia is God, besson, BPC, and TIB.
    They could get this site cranking.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

WOW, I had forgotten just how ridiculous this thread was. As if clean shaven is going to make a fuking bit of difference. I think growing a big arse beard and not showering for 2 weeks would work far better. Can you imagine how bummed you would feel losing to some big bearded smelly bastard.
    Last edited by LyleG; 06-04-2008 at 08:20 AM.

daveperk Guest
    There is only ONE really effective "strategery" for match play.

two words... spicey beans... for dinner...

and then for good measure, some more for breakfast before you head to the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I miss Garcia is God, besson, BPC, and TIB.
    They could get this site cranking.
    I miss LC3. Could you imagine him going head to head with NAH and Omen over the past 18 months?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I miss LC3. Could you imagine him going head to head with NAH and Omen over the past 18 months?
    I think they would get along OK. BPC vs. LC3 was one of the best parts of this forum back in the day.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

After reading this and other BPC threads I was amazed to see his age listed as 19, or about 17 when he started these. I always imagined him as a big dumb, thirty something lives at home with his parents kind of guy. The Camillo thread was especially disturbing for a teenager.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Talk about flaming on an internet forum. Wow..That is a flaming post, alright. The Camillo one even more so than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    LC3 made a guest appearance just the other day to try to flame Spank. It was on the I could kick Tiger's ass thread.

I'd like to see LC3 on here more often too. I can take as good as I give so I would welcome anybody who could liven things up a bit and get a good flame war going. But like most posters here, the guy I really miss is BPC. He is without doubt the author of two of the best threads this forum has seen. The only thread that had the potential to rival those two was closed down and the starter was booted, and alas we may never know about golf in Vietnam. HB's thread about how to spot a hacker gets an honourable mention too.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    LC3 made a guest appearance just the other day to try to flame Spank. It was on the I could kick Tiger's ass thread.

I'd like to see LC3 on here more often too. I can take as good as I give so I would welcome anybody who could liven things up a bit and get a good flame war going. But like most posters here, the guy I really miss is BPC. He is without doubt the author of two of the best threads this forum has seen. The only thread that had the potential to rival those two was closed down and the starter was booted, and alas we may never know about golf in Vietnam. HB's thread about how to spot a hacker gets an honourable mention too.
    Yeah I saw that. LC3 was hilarious but he was a bit like you (and Omen) in that he often offended people but usually did it on purpose just to get a bite.

I don't think he would have let your constant hybrid/gay bashing go unpunished.

He was also a bit like Omen in that he was an authority on all things golf but he managed to do it with wit and humour.

He offended some (especially BPC) but in general he was highly entertaining.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Obviously, I'm pretty new to posting on this site. That said...there's no way that BPC kid is serious with these posts....right? Right??

Quote Originally Posted by super zone
    Obviously, I'm pretty new to posting on this site. That said...there's no way that BPC kid is serious with these posts....right? Right??
    It's an interesting theory, but he was dead serious all the time. He was actually a moderator for awhile. Look back to around November/December of 2006 and you'll see some of the funniest threads ever created. We had 3 high schoolers as mods.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    It's an interesting theory, but he was dead serious all the time. He was actually a moderator for awhile. Look back to around November/December of 2006 and you'll see some of the funniest threads ever created. We had 3 high schoolers as mods.

Seriously? How old is everyone here then?

Quote Originally Posted by super zone
    Seriously? How old is everyone here then?
    There's a good mix of ages. Don't worry, not everyone on here is in their teens. I was a teenager in 1987.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I graduated from high school in 88. Fuk does time fly.

'85 for me.

I'm around the same age as last 3 and am definitely too old to be on forums like this trying to flame people, but I just refuse to grow up when it comes to this stuff.

The mix of personalities and ages on this board is very interesting.

I looove Match play. My key strategy is shut the hell up and play golf. For some reason not talking can be a great intimidator. I also lay up on most par fives aswell no matter how close I am . Sounds lame but how often do you get an eagle on par fives through out the course of a year. Plus your opponent sees this and either gets greedy or snaps one off trying to reach in two. In my opinion your putter and wedge shots are most important in match play and whatever other game you play on the course.

Had my First match of the trny today. (Won 3 &2, had to give him 10 shots)

I found myself standing right beside him one the first tee, and started laughing and took a couple steps away. I Didn't shave right before I went out either so no wonder I lost the first hole....You bastards psyched me out!

When standing close to your opponent in a tight-a$$ shirt, I find it's also a good strategy to blow some whey protein breaf up in dey face.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    I Didn't shave right before I went out either so no wonder I lost the first hole
    I 'm sure your Sydney Crosby-esque peach fuzz beard was quite intimidating.

Damn I wish I'd read this thread a week ago. I got my ass kicked 4/3 at the weekend but I'm sure if I could have applied some of BPC strategies it would have made a decisive difference.

Hmm ... let's see.

Tight shirt, er it's winter here so I would have frozen my nuts off without a vest.

Stand close to my opponent, trouble is he was taller than me, he might have intimidated me?

Clean shaven - I never shave at the weekend?

3 wood off the tee? I already did that and snap hooked one OB.

Give up what few honours I had? No way!

I should have discreetly put a towel over my irons on the par 3's. I don't know how much that would have helped though as he had the honour on all the par 3's.

I never conceded any putts. This guy was draining them all!

On second thoughts BPC is full of sh*t! His strategies wouldn't have helped at all!

Now where the f#ck am I?

I ask myself "what would BPC do in this situation" then do the opposite.
    LMAO......TOO FUNNY BRO TOO FUNNY

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    I 'm sure your Sydney Crosby-esque peach fuzz beard was quite intimidating.

You have no idea.

good thing your not playing me.. Id probably have to buy a new driver

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter72
    I try to step on my opponents putting line on accident. On every hole.

I stand so that the head of my shadow is directly over the hole and then sway back and forth while humming softy. While my opponent putts.

I make my opponent putt out from 2 inches away and right as he's about to make contact with the ball I scream "MISS IT!!!!". If he complains I explain that he's being a baby and that there's no way he could have missed that putt.

I wait for him to be further out and while he stands there waiting to hit I fire one right at him, hitting him in the small of the back, and then yell "shank!!!!"

On our way down the fairway I talk to him about swinging couples and ask if he and his wife/girlfriend are into it. If he says yes I tell him I'm not married but I'd like to bang his wife.

If my opponent hits a good shot and I can tell he's proud of it I'll get right up in his face and say things like" OH, YOU THINK YOU"RE THE SH-T NOW?!?!?".

Pretty much I'm a complete a-hole the entire time.

Just to win a gift certificate from the proshop. Like a fu-king idiot.
    Thats right a new driver cuz id snap it on yer upper and bottom lip Learn some etiquette haker.

Perhaps the funniest thing about this while thread is the irony of BPC's opening post, which appears to be lost on BPC. In employing such ludicrous 'strategies', which by his own admission are not the way he normally plays golf, he is actually reducing his chances of playing his own game before he even gets off the first tee. In all his attempts to unsettle his opponent, the only one he really unsettles is himself.

But I still love the way he thinks. A unique individual.

I don't have anything to add here. I just wanted to keep this thread at the top of the list for a little while longer as it is some of the best golf literature ever. Do you guys realize that this will someday be sitting next to Hogan's Five Lessons in Barnes and Noble and libraries worldwide someday?

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I don't have anything to add here. I just wanted to keep this thread at the top of the list for a little while longer as it is some of the best golf literature ever. Do you guys realize that this will someday be sitting next to Hogan's Five Lessons in Barnes and Noble and libraries worldwide someday?
    You mean it's not already?

The key difference between the two is Hogans Five Lessons was a classic about the technical aspects of the golf the swing whereas BPC's is a classic about match play strategies.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Has BPC ever started any threads about the technical side of golf?

He's obviously well versed in matchplay strategies, so it would stand to reason he wold have a similarly radical and unqiue take on the golf swing.

Anyone know of any threads where he gives his thoughts on the golf swing?

P.S. This is obviously one of the most popular threads ever, why hasn't it been made a sticky so we don't have to keep finding it when we want to revisit it?

I thought I'd bring this back in case anybody out there has made the matchplay flight of their club championship and needed some inspiration. Reading the opening post should provide all the inspiration you require.

I can't believe someone would go through all that just for one match play game.

Your golf would have to be pretty shitty in order to resort to all that BS.

Just bombed all my tee shots , make sure I hit the green on all par 3s. Give up no putts until the back 9. And lay up on all par 5s on the front 9. And depending on the match, only use driver if necessary.
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Quote Originally Posted by ProStatus
    Just bombed all my tee shots , make sure I hit the green on all par 3s. Give up no putts until the back 9. And lay up on all par 5s on the front 9. And depending on the match, only use driver if necessary.
    Yeah, like all that will make a difference against a clean shaven, tight shirted, close standing opponent.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Ehy the fuk is this person not banned yet? They've been hanging around for over a week now.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    i thought this thread was retired into the GRHOF? BPC's match play strategies are widely considered to be some of the best GR material ever produced.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Ehy the fuk is this person not banned yet? They've been hanging around for over a week now.

What good is it to take the time to ban someones username, when they can create a new one, in less time than it takes me to ban it.

STFU and get over it.

What good is it to take the time to ban someones username, when they can create a new one, in less time than it takes me to ban it.

STFU and get over it.
    What about an IP adress ban numb nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Yeah, like all that will make a difference against a clean shaven, tight shirted, close standing opponent.
    Hmm been there done that..........Tight shirt opponent lol. Bombed tee shots with a fade that blow yards past your opponent, with a little touch around the greens . Thatll make that tight shirt fit just a little tighter, and grow some stubble on the chinny before the end
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

For the 164th time, I can't do IP bans.

For the 164th time, I can't do IP bans.
    In that case I'll retract the question about the IP ban. But the numb nuts comment still stands on general character grounds.

In that case I'll retract the question about the IP ban. But the numb nuts comment still stands on general character grounds.

You ain't got nothing on me foo..

The website designer and the one who initially put up the site is the only one that can do IP bans. On the other site you are familiar with, that person is westptx. GA can't do **** but ban the username and like he said, it is only a matter of time before they put up a new username.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by strokeguru
    I looove Match play. My key strategy is shut the hell up and play golf. For some reason not talking can be a great intimidator. I also lay up on most par fives aswell no matter how close I am . Sounds lame but how often do you get an eagle on par fives through out the course of a year. Plus your opponent sees this and either gets greedy or snaps one off trying to reach in two. In my opinion your putter and wedge shots are most important in match play and whatever other game you play on the course.
    I wish this was your key strategy on golf forums.

This needed to be bumped..........
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

My strategy is to find a dead horse and proceed to kick it.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutter
    My strategy is to find a dead horse and proceed to kick it.
    Name:  beating_a_dead_horse_187.gif
Views: 188
Size:  18.7 KB
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

I can't believe this thread hasn't made 100 posts yet. I decided to bump it to get it a bit closer. This is without doubt one of the top 5 all time GR threads, and deserves 100 posts.

Looking back on the early posts, BPC and LC3 had a bit of a LarryRSF/AlanGbaker thing going on there. BPC even accused LC3 of having no life and sitting at home waiting to respond to his posts immediately. BPC wasn't quite as eloquent or vitriolic with the adhommoninne personalt attacks as Larry, but amuaing none the less.

I'll leave the honour of the 100th post to someone more deserving. BPC, if you're out there this is the perfect chance to return triumphantly to GR on a wave of emotion and fanfare. Your exile has been too long, we want you back.

I like to set up an Hibachi right on the golf cart. The smell of my family recipe steak and a sauce cooking right on the cart can really unnerve many players. Those that survive that won't get past the Pavlovian conditioning that follows. I offer them a little only after they've lost a hole.

Typically, the fatter my opponent, the greater my chances of success.

That should be 100.
    GR lives...

Thought I'd pull this up as well. It will be used today

Thread Information