|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

blades Vs cavity iron

hello,
    why many people said that blades iron is better than cavity or the player using blades iron is a better player? is that truth?
    anyone change or switch between cavity and blades? any feedback?

jad

spankdoggie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jad9594
    hello,
    why many people said that blades iron is better than cavity or the player using blades iron is a better player? is that truth?

jad
    Not true at all. I have blades, and cavity backs in my possession, and they mean nothing when it comes to the ability of the player. I change and switch as I feel like it between the clubs, in question...

A shank is a shank no matter what clubs you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by spankdoggie
    Not true at all. I have blades, and cavity backs in my possession, and they mean nothing when it comes to the ability of the player. I change and switch as I feel like it between the clubs, in question...

There is no special qualification you need to provide to buy a set of blades.

More than anything else it depends on the amount of practcicing you do.
    If you are gonna practice 4 or more times a week, then blades are pretty cool. You will learn alot, and you will find the sweetspot on them.

If you are not much of a practicer then some forgiving cavities would be a wiser choice.

Most important is the shafts you get in either type of club.
    If you ask me, as far as importance for irons. shafts are most important, followed by grips, followed by clubhead design/ material.

Get the shafts that work with your swing, and you can't really go too far wrong with the other choices.

Blades are prettier, and are a blast to play when you are swinging well.
    I have 4 sets of blades in my basement that I have great memories of.
    I play with Callaway x-14 irons and have found (with my limited schedule) I have more time to practice putting, and my short game because the x-14's really are pretty darn easy to hit. They aren't pretty, but ultimately pretty does not make a bit of difference at the end of a round.

No it's not true, but...

Quote Originally Posted by jad9594
    hello,

jad
    it does take a swing that returns to it's point of origin more accurately than most of us possess.

I have cavities and have no interest in blades, I may use them in wedges, but thats it. Not enough forgiveness in the long/mid irons.

Spank, You still have the KZG irons? What are your cavities?

Jad9594 - Are you using a translation program or typing as you speak?
    In my Bag

Taylormade R580XD 9.5* Grafalloy Blue S
    Mizuno Mp001 3w GrafalloyTour blue S
    Tm Rescue no.2 16* Prolaunch HY Blue S

4-pw TourStage z101 Dynamic gold s300
    Tm Rac Tp 56.2 black y cutter
    Lw - Vokey Oilcan 260.08
    Dfx 2 ball blade. 34"

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel
    Spank, You still have the KZG irons? What are your cavities?

Jad9594 - Are you using a translation program or typing as you speak?
    Arkangel,
    i type as i speak, because i started to learn 2 years ago so forgive me if i could not experss myself or miss spell words or grammar.

Montagle,
    shaft, i never think about the shaft. i have a RCH 90 (callaway shaft), are they ok to use? or should i get something else? what kind of shaft do you use? why?
    i have the lamkin crossline for the grips. i know the winn grips are really good (very soft) but it cost $7 for each. what kind of grip do you use? why?
    my iron set are 10 years old, i bought from ebay used (callaway big bertha '94). should i stick with it? or should i change? do you think x-14 is better than the iron i had?
    what do you mean "you can learn a lot" with blade iron? does blade iron can do something that cavity back cannot?

jad

Basically, unless you are a very consistent ballstriker, you will probably be happier with cavity backs. They offer more forgiveness on less than perfect shots, which add to the enjoyment of the game. Cavity backs don't allow one to "work the ball" (hit controlled fades and draws) as well as blades, but for the vast majority of us, hitting it STRAIGHT is a far better goal. Unless one is approaching a single digit handicap, blades may cost you more strokes than they will save you. Be realistic about your abilities, and if you can use blades effectively, then do so. But don't be intimidated into getting blades because of what someone else might think.

The biggest difference I have found is not between cavity vs. blade but forged vs. cast. I am about to purchase a set of irons from KZG and I cannot believe how nice their forgings feel.

Feedback from forged irons is in my experience so much better than cast. Because forged irons are stamped from hot steel, there are limitations to how the heads can be designed. It is more difficult to move the CG of forged irons to far behind the face. This is why forged irons are often more difficult to hit than cast.

Anyway, not sure what this has to do with your original question since I have a high fever and do not remember what prompted me to write this, but I hope it makes sense.

Jad,

First of all, dorkman53 has it right. Cavity backs produce better results from poor ball striking than blades. If you consistently are able to hit the sweet spot (not if you aspire to hit the sweet spot consistently..if you currently do) you might look into blades. If you don't hit the sweet spot consistently blades will make scoring more difficult until you can learn to hit them. the question is are you willing to make that sacrifice and put in the daily practice required to strike the ball that well? Only you know that.

I completely disagree with va_ripper. Forged vs. cast is largely a difference in feel only.

" This is why forged irons are often more difficult to hit than cast." - va_ripper <---Do not believe this statement...it is not true. KZG makes forged cavity backs that feel great and are as forgiving as a cast cavity back.

If you are hitting in the high 90's to 100's I would suggest keeping the clubs you are hitting but, as I have posted before, make sure they fit you. Clubs off the shelf truly fit very few people. Start with equipment that fits. Once this variable is removed, everything is your fault, i.e. it's your skills not the equipment.

Krafty1
    The only time my prayers are never answered is on the golf course.
    -- Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by krafty1
    Jad,

If you are hitting in the high 90's to 100's I would suggest keeping the clubs you are hitting but, as I have posted before, make sure they fit you. Clubs off the shelf truly fit very few people. Start with equipment that fits. Once this variable is removed, everything is your fault, i.e. it's your skills not the equipment.

Krafty1
    hi krafty,
    how can i get fit with the club i already had? i know if you want to buy a new set or build new club the shop will be happy to help you.
    should i get fit before i develop my swing? or get the swing then get fit? because i hear someone told me that the swing will change expecially for a new golfer like me.

jad

jad,

Go to a clubmaker. He can help you determine the right specs for your clubs and can make any adjustments that are required. Adjustments can be made throughout your learning process by adjusting your current set as your swing matures. Note: Make sure he does a dynamic fitting...in other words, a fitting that includes hitting balls and watching ball flight. Static fittings can be misleading.

The problem with trying to learn and groove a swing with ill fitting equipment is that you ingrain bad habits due to adjustment you are forced to make to get the desired ball flight.

The clubmaker will charge you on a per club basis for any changes required. The fees should be minimal compared to buying a new set. Check the clubmakers fees upfront to guage the cost.

The clubs you have should serve your needs for now and the near future.

Remember this.....many of the greats in the game shot scores comparable to todays players and they used low tech, hickory shafted clubs. Don't get caught up in trying to buy a low handicap....won't happen. Practice smartly and your scores will drop regardless of the brand or age of clubs you play.

Krafty1

P.S. I am a Ping man. Their fitting process is a very good one. You might try having a fitting done by them just to get your specs, then go to a clubmaker and have him tailor your current set of clubs to those specs...again price out the cost before having the work done. My Ping fitting was free, some charge. You might check around at different places to find someone that doesn't charge or whose fee is small.
    -- Billy Graham

fitting club?

krafty1,
    hi there, i been want to go to the club maker but is holiday right now.i have some question about fitting:

1. did wood need to be fit ? or just for iron?

2. can player change their swing to the golf club? is that possible?

3. how shaft can effect ball fly or swing?

jad

jad,

1. Yes, you would benefit similarly from being fit for your woods.

2. It is possible. Most players play with ill fitting equipment and contort themselves to hit them decently....but why would you want to do that. Your natural swing will repeat far better than adjusting your swing to the equipment you own. If you want to play to the best of your ability and keep from ingraining bad habits, use equipment that fits. I would remind you that most player never break 100 and most have equipment that doesn't fit.....a coincidence?

3. Both the shaft length and flex can effect the ball flight. If the shaft of my club is too long I start to hit off of the heel. If too short, tend to hit thin shots. If the shaft is too flexible, you get a whip effect which tends to cause a left to right shot, usually a slice. If the shaft is too stiff, a right to left shot is usually the result (a draw of hook).

Krafty1
    -- Billy Graham

club fitting

I want very much to own a custom set of club tailored to my swing, but have doubts about will I see any vast improvements, until my practice habits improve, and I can find a consistant swing. My current clubs are Hogan Apex Edge, When I'm swinging good, I hit them well, I'm seriously thinking about reshafting them, with the Flighted Rifles, because, the design of the club head is a low center of gravity design, and the stock shafts are low kick point shafts, which would work fine for most beginners, Or myself who likes the low kick point in my 3 and four irons, but find the trajectory to high in my other irons.Once i get them reshafted, I'll get measured for proper length, my clubs are forged, So, I'll have the lie angles adjusted, and the lofts checked, and try to have the swingweights as close to what they are now which is a D2.5, by switching to a lighter grip if possible. thats about as close as I'll get to custom for now. any other suggestions or opinions

Quote Originally Posted by krafty1
    jad,

Go to a clubmaker. He can help you determine the right specs for your clubs and can make any adjustments that are required. Adjustments can be made throughout your learning process by adjusting your current set as your swing matures. Note: Make sure he does a dynamic fitting...in other words, a fitting that includes hitting balls and watching ball flight. Static fittings can be misleading.

The problem with trying to learn and groove a swing with ill fitting equipment is that you ingrain bad habits due to adjustment you are forced to make to get the desired ball flight.

The clubmaker will charge you on a per club basis for any changes required. The fees should be minimal compared to buying a new set. Check the clubmakers fees upfront to guage the cost.

The clubs you have should serve your needs for now and the near future.

Remember this.....many of the greats in the game shot scores comparable to todays players and they used low tech, hickory shafted clubs. Don't get caught up in trying to buy a low handicap....won't happen. Practice smartly and your scores will drop regardless of the brand or age of clubs you play.

Krafty1

P.S. I am a Ping man. Their fitting process is a very good one. You might try having a fitting done by them just to get your specs, then go to a clubmaker and have him tailor your current set of clubs to those specs...again price out the cost before having the work done. My Ping fitting was free, some charge. You might check around at different places to find someone that doesn't charge or whose fee is small.
    Krafty1
    i went to the golf shop today, find out the price for adjustment is like $4 for each club. i have few question for that, how they adjustment the iron? i am worry about my swing because i might not swing the same when they try to fit me. i find out i like swing weight D-2 to D-3 for my iron (they are D-0 before) do you think they can do any chage for me?
    at that shop i saw a Ping fitting stuff, i want to find out my specs as well. do you think will be free of charge? seem is for Ping.
    about the dynamic fitting, i dont think there are a place that can see the ball fight so.... should i go to other shop? the fitting process, is just once or i need to go to be fit when my swing change?

jad

Smile Blades

I'v been using the ben hogan apex plus blades since i was ten years old and have hit them like a dream. But trust me if I get away from practicing for a week or even sometimes two days i shank them pretty bad at first but when i find the sweetspot they are pure~!~

- T.W. jr.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by adidasgolf1038
    I'v been using the ben hogan apex plus blades since i was ten years old and have hit them like a dream. But trust me if I get away from practicing for a week or even sometimes two days i shank them pretty bad at first but when i find the sweetspot they are pure~!~

- T.W. jr.
    hi there,
    btw how old are you now? like 15? because there are many young kid can hit the ball well in young age. you can hit 240 yard with iron? WOw.... what iron do you hit? 1 iron?
    huhuh.... i want to try it good luck with your driver.

Jad

Quote Originally Posted by adidasgolf1038

- T.W. jr.
    Sorry man but if you are playing apex plus irons than you are not playing blades...

Ask Fred Couples and a whole host of other touring pros. The answer should be obvious.

Complete and utter bull. It is no more trouble working cavity backs than blades. Just different. They are more forgiving. They are easier to hit because of this. But if you think you can't work them as well right to left and left to right you might do a bit more research. For proof just check out the touring pros that use cavity backs(Couples, Calc, etc). You think they don't work the ball?

WHile cavity backs may be a little more forgiving, I think it is all preference. I own a set of both and I have to say I like playing with blades. I like the feel, and looks. I think blades also give a little more control then a cavity back will give you, but its all debatable. What i tell people is this, swing both and make a discision. What matters most is the actual swing, without that it doesnt matter what you play with

I guess my question is....

Is the pureness of hitting a blade iron in the sweet spot that much more rewarding and hitting a good cavity back iron in the sweet spot such as the callaway x-14 or x-16 pro series? It just seems to me like you're taking on more risk "IF" you happen not to hit the sweet spot on a few shots per round by having the blades. Can anyone who's played both blades and cavity backs regularly explain the reward of puring a blade iron verses puring a good quality cavity back iron? Thanks!

Why would you play blades?

Ya know, this is probably the most mis-understood aspect of golf. Even so-called experts, many times don't understand.

The reason for blades or muscle-backs as they are called today, is for a club that puts more mass directly behind the ball, which allows a player to manipulate the ball path easier. Done. That's it, all the other reasons (like feel, or softer ball striking) are secondary.

Being able to move the ball through it's path is really only an issue for scratch, or near scratch golfers. I love to hear these guys talk smack about how they'd never put cavity backs in their bag, "They're only for high handicappers." Then you go out on the course with them, and they can't hit the ball straight. They miss green after green from 130-170 yards cause they can't hit straight, or control their distance. They'll still hit quite a few greens, and shoot 85, but a complete struggle.

Here's the test. If you can't hit 7/10 greens from 150 yards out from the fairway, than you shouldn't be playing blades because your not straight enough. Blades are easier to work the ball, but if you can't hit the ball straight, why in the world would the words "feel", and "Workability" even cross your lips? If I can't even hit the ball straight, why would being able to "Fade the ball around the bunker" even be an issue?

I'm not saying this because I want an arguement. I'm saying it because I found it to be very true in my game, and has made a huge difference in my scores, and if your not hitting enough greens from short range, take my advice. Go to a "Game improvement" club, and watch your GIR percentage improve, and your scores drop.

Oh, and by the way. Game Improvement club is a bunch of garbage too. Why does Lee Westwood, Kirk Tripplett, Kevin Southerland (just to name a few) play Ping Zing2 "Game Improvement" clubs? I guess their handicaps aren't low enough yet.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    wow, times have changed on GR since then. even fred3 put in 3 replies.

blades will always be the superior iron, most people just don't want to admit it. it's a pity really.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Basically, unless you are a very consistent ballstriker, you will probably be happier with cavity backs. They offer more forgiveness on less than perfect shots, which add to the enjoyment of the game. Cavity backs don't allow one to "work the ball" (hit controlled fades and draws) as well as blades, but for the vast majority of us, hitting it STRAIGHT is a far better goal. Unless one is approaching a single digit handicap, blades may cost you more strokes than they will save you. Be realistic about your abilities, and if you can use blades effectively, then do so. But don't be intimidated into getting blades because of what someone else might think.
    It's interesting to see how DM has changed over the years.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Ask Fred Couples and a whole host of other touring pros. The answer should be obvious.
    Is this a clue?

Is Fred3 really Fred Couples? The three is just a cunning ploy to throw us off couples?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    It's interesting to see how DM has changed over the years.
    Yeah DM has changed a lot. Unlike LyleG who hasn't changed a bit and is still a Callaway whore.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    wow, times have changed on GR since then. even fred3 put in 3 replies.

blades will always be the superior iron, most people just don't want to admit it. it's a pity really.
    Are you kidding BJ?

Apart from fred3 being a regular poster (as opposed to a transcendental omnipresence) things haven't changed a bit on GR. After reading through that thread the same old argument still persists 5-6 years later.

Now where the f#ck am I?

This is a very old old subject... God damn it, hit that damn ball , straight and where you want it to go, doesn't matter it's CB or blades,,, If that helps you lower your scores, then be it...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Are you kidding BJ?

Apart from fred3 being a regular poster (as opposed to a transcendental omnipresence) things haven't changed a bit on GR. After reading through that thread the same old argument still persists 5-6 years later.
    Except that now people are so much more civil in their discourse about the subject.......

Incidentally, note how many people on that thread are no longer around. A lot of people have been driven off this board by the tone of "discussion" that goes on here.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Except that now people are so much more civil in their discourse about the subject.......

Incidentally, note how many people on that thread are no longer around. A lot of people have been driven off this board by the tone of "discussion" that goes on here.

Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Kiwi,

I have to disagree with you (nothing unusual there). The topics may not have changed, but this thread had a disticntly shittalky feel about it. Even Spank and Fred were being remarkably civil. GR has evolved from this snoozefest into the lively, factual, informative discussion board it is today.

Maybe Fred is actually a hybrid (gaybrid) of Fred Couples and David Love the turd. They are the same age and good friends so it's possible.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I have played both blades and cavities. I hit the 7-PW almost as well with blades as with cavity backs, but boy what a difference in the mid irons. I also think compact blades are a bit easier to chip with.

It's harder to negotiate strokes with people if there are blades in your bag

Think of it this way, even very consistent ballstrikers on tour, not everyone uses blades. MAYBE blades could "work the ball" better, but how often do we have to "work the ball" , when I was on golf courses, players talked about "work the ball" and yes they tried, most of the time they f...cked it up, so, is it an ego or what? I still don't understand *_*

There is a happy medium. One of my sets are Macgregor 1025c. They are forged, have slight offset and a shallow cavity. A bit of forgiveness with the feel of forged. They have jacked up lofts, too (like most modern clubs), so they are good for the ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Think of it this way, even very consistent ballstrikers on tour, not everyone uses blades. MAYBE blades could "work the ball" better, but how often do we have to "work the ball" , when I was on golf courses, players talked about "work the ball" and yes they tried, most of the time they f...cked it up, so, is it an ego or what? I still don't understand *_*
    It isn't just working the ball, there are other performance aspects. In the end it's how each individual hits a set of clubs. If blades are a type of club you've either never hit, or don't have the proficiency to appreciate, then maybe you shouldn't try and sound as though you know all about this stuff. Unless you want to be an rsf.
    GR lives...

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    that usually depends on how well i'm hitting it off the tee. if i lose my drive right, i need to be able to fade my approach shot to the green. vice versa if i go left. i'm admittedly not good enough to work the ball at will to back pin locations and all of that crap like the pros do, but you will find yourself in situations on the course where you will need to curve the ball to either get out of trouble or avoid hazards.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesll9
    There is a happy medium. One of my sets are Macgregor 1025c. They are forged, have slight offset and a shallow cavity. A bit of forgiveness with the feel of forged. They have jacked up lofts, too (like most modern clubs), so they are good for the ego.
    I had a set of those a few years ago. They were one sweet feeling iron. The one thing I didn't like about them was the relatively thin sole without any leading edge relief, and not much bounce or camber. They felt great and hit really long on well struck shots, but it was easier than I liked to hit a fat shot; they dug easily.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thread Information