|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

What's your pre-shot routine?

Curious of what other peoples routines are like?

1 check my lie
    2.check the distance
    3. think about the type of shot needed
    4. stand behind the ball to see the line, pick a point out along the line (about 1-3 feet),
    5. address the ball, form my grip,
    6. take two practice swings imagining what the ball would've done if I'd hit it, if I feel the practice swing would have given me the shot required
    7. align the head of the club using the point along the line as a guide
    8. imagine a line paralell to the intended ball flight line for my feet to line up on
    9. take my shot
    10. Hold my finish and evaluate the shot.
    Will I ever be as good as I think I can be?

Trying not to get too indepth.

1. Stand behind ball, take two practice swings trying to feel the shot (not always executed properly)
    2. Take grip and allign shaft down the target line, choose a spot infront of ball inlign with target.
    3. Address ball placing clubhead first, then position feet.
    4. Think of my target, trigger my swing with a key thought and let it go.

As soon as I get to my ball I put my bag down and stand over the ball and try to see the shot I will need to hit

Choose my club

Take a few swings to feel the shot

Stand behind the ball and pick a target. I use the smallest spot I can and try to make it as high in the air as I can.

Line up at the ball to this spot (I never use an intermediate target)

Look at my target, imagine the shot in the air, take a deep breath and look down

Fire

my pre-shot routine is

1- walk up to the ball and examine the elements (wind, lie, grain, and slope)
    2- choose club
    3- take 2 practice swings
    4- stand behind ball select shot type (cut, draw, high, low, punch) and line using a spot i choose 3ft infront of the ball
    5- take 1 more swing and fire

thats the way i do it (i dont think i missed anything)...

I just wear tight ass clothes and pick a queer caddy. From there on out it is just point and shoot.

Does anyone NOT include practice swings in their preshot routine? I'm just wondering since I don't...debating if I'm missing out on something here.

I just examine lie, surroundings, etc. Pick a spot 2-4 feet in front of my ball where I want the line to be, then address, waggle, hit.
    In My Bag (for now):
    Taylormade Burner TP 10.5*
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15*
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG 18*
    Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
    Vokey Raw 50*, Vokey SM 54*, Vokey SM 58*
    Yes! Tracy II
    Bridgestone B-330-S

MIne aren't as much a practice swing as a quick feel the shot in my arms swing.
    I have no idea if this makes sense to anyone but me.

check the lie and how i need to hit the ball to get it where it needs to go (usually do this as im walking from tee to the next shot)
    then i grab the appropriate club, adress next to the ball and take a practice swing
    step behind the ball about 5 feet and then step in making sure the club is square to the target and then just staying behind the ball as i hit it
    callaway x460 10* regular fujikira, mid kick
    adams ovation 3 wood regular
    callaway big bertha heavenwood 4h regular flex
    tommy armour 845s 4-pw
    titleist vokey oil can 60/4, 56/14, 52/8
    taylormade rossa indy putter
    all with winn w5 grips
    titleist nxt

handicap- 8.5

Quote Originally Posted by macmai
    Does anyone NOT include practice swings in their preshot routine? I'm just wondering since I don't...debating if I'm missing out on something here.

I just examine lie, surroundings, etc. Pick a spot 2-4 feet in front of my ball where I want the line to be, then address, waggle, hit.
    If I have a crazy lie, need to hit a half shot, etc., I do, but never for "stock" shots. My routine is exactly like yours.
    The problem I have with really doing a practice swing is, what do you do when you make an incredibly sh!tty practice swing? Start over? Freak out about the real shot? Plus, do you make a divot with a practice? I would think you shouldn't, but then what's the point?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

After club selection, stand behind ball and pick a line. I find a spot about 3 feet in front of the ball to help me line up. Then I just try to concentrate on making good contact. If I think about any mechanics, I'm doomed, that's for the range. Eye on the ball through the swing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by macmai

i take practice swings but i dont take a divot, just brush the ground... and i also check my position halfway back and at the top because my tendancy it to get too flat and hit a pull hook... i think that it would be beneficial for you to reconsider taking practice swings, i tried both ways and taking practice swings is important...

I never take a practice swing unless the shot I'm about to play is absolutly out of my league. I do talk to myself and analyze everything about the shot as I walk up to the ball though, stuff like lie, wind, type of grass, which way it's growing, can I carry it or bounce it in. etc. Then I pick my club, focus on the target, and go.
    My swing is so bad I look like a caveman killing his lunch. ~Lee Trevino[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][B][/B][I][/I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    If I have a crazy lie, need to hit a half shot, etc., I do, but never for "stock" shots. My routine is exactly like yours.
    The problem I have with really doing a practice swing is, what do you do when you make an incredibly sh!tty practice swing? Start over? Freak out about the real shot? Plus, do you make a divot with a practice? I would think you shouldn't, but then what's the point?
    I'm with you guys, no practice swing, just pick out a target, check lie and fire for the "stock" shots, will take a practice swing for awkward lies. It kills me every week when I have to see my partner's 3-4 practice swing and still mess up.
    Taylor Made r7 400
    Cobra Baffler 16,20 degrees
    Taylor Made Rac MB TP 3-PW
    Titleist spin milled 54,60 wedges
    Scotty Cameron newport 2 Tel3

I stand behind the ball, look at my target, take 2 practice swings and try to brish the grass when I do, then get behind the ball again, look at the target once more, get up to the ball, adress it, then swing away.

steve
    Driver- TM R580XD 10.5*
    Woods- Adams Ovation
    Irons & wedges- Snake Eyes Python OS
    Putter- Odyssey white hot
    Ball- Srixon AD333
    [size=5][font=Arial Black] [/font][color=#000099]G[/color][color=#FF6600]O[/color] [color=#000099]G[/color][color=#FF6600]A[/color][color=#000099]T[/color][color=#FF6600]O[/color][color=#000099]R[/color][color=#FF6600]S[/color][color=#000099]![/color][/size]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by xender
    I'm with you guys, no practice swing, just pick out a target, check lie and fire for the "stock" shots, will take a practice swing for awkward lies. It kills me every week when I have to see my partner's 3-4 practice swing and still mess up.
    Man, sounds like we play with the same partners.

Yah, agreed on the stock shots...no swing...but for odd shots, I might try to get a feel for the lie/rough, etc.

Maybe I'll try a "feel swing" like I think LyleG was eluding to for a round...we'll see how that goes.
    In My Bag (for now):
    Taylormade Burner TP 10.5*
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15*
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG 18*
    Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
    Vokey Raw 50*, Vokey SM 54*, Vokey SM 58*
    Yes! Tracy II
    Bridgestone B-330-S

look at ball, evaluate all that fun stuff, pick club yadayadayada....

take out club and take a "mini" 1/4 swing brushing the ground beside the ball, step back, take a loose swing to feel it out, facing target stretch out left arm in the air, and then spin the club on the ground once in my right hand, then hold up club pointing to target and walk around to my ball, same 4 steps everytime. Line up face and waggle back and forth as im taking my stance. once set, club down, 1 quick look up then look back up staring at target, take 1 deep breath, look back down, and let'r rip.

very meticulous and have been working on that routine for about 3 years (with slight modifications each year, pretty much same as when i started my preshot routine.
    I feel sorry for Skeet boy's cat...

Evaluate conditions (Wind, lie, where I want to hit the next shot from)

Choose club and style of shot based on conditions

If it's a 'feeler shot' like taking a lot of ditance off a club, I take a practice swing, otherwise I just brush the ground to get a feel of how firm it is.

Stand up to the ball, look at target, tug on my glove, look at the target, let it go.
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

Sorry guys practice swings with no purpose and these "Feel" swings only add further to the problem mentioned in many other threads....slow play.
    I must apologise for banging on, more so as i am only new to the game recently but It's just not they way Old Tom Morris intended. Practice swings or partial practice swings are fine if A) they are ironing out your previous terrible shot B) are linked to a drill for a recurring swing fault or finally C) to buy time to sober up!!!
    Most practice swings you see people make are pointless, and probably only compound any problems. As for the feel thing, i can only buy that for short game, judging a swing length and percentage power. What is there to "feel" on full swing, even shotmaking is mainly presets worked on in practice.

I take a practice swing and go. My practice swing is usually just to groove my path to my ballflight. I usually take 2 practice swings off the tee though. With my wedge shots I sweep the club a few times to groove my hands well ahead of the ball at impact. What drives me nuts are guys who take 10 swings, freeze over the ball forever and go walking back to a cart for a different club. Amazing how much more time before the shot usually translates to worse golfers. I was a hacker too, not too long ago and still prone. I did and do hack and move along.

Agree no practice swings unless very unusual. Practice swings take alot of time and can really wear a golfer out, especially beginner and weekend golfers who wear out quick. I think that novices take a good practice swing and then think "I got it figured out" then think it will just happen on the real swing and fail to carry over the fundamentals.
    I pick correct club,
    check lie
    address ball
    relax
    then swing
    find ball
    repeat

Agree no practice swings unless very unusual. Practice swings take alot of time and can really wear a golfer out, especially beginner and weekend golfers who wear out quick. I think that novices take a good practice swing and then think "I got it figured out" then think it will just happen on the real swing and fail to carry over the fundamentals.
    I pick correct club,
    check lie
    address ball
    relax
    then swing
    find ball
    repeat

Thread Information