|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Clubs for High Handicap

Greetings, I am a high handicapper and wish to know the recommendations out there for the clubs that are best or good for me. I am right-handed. What is out there that is not expensive, you know something for the budget minded. Thanks.

Look at Tour Edge and Nickent.Very good clubs without the advertising budget

Tons of forgiving clubs out there, but you have to assess what your shortcomings are.

Slow swinger, or trouble getting the ball up?
    Look at a wider soled, deeper cavity head design with a soft tipped, low kickpt shaft.

Healthy, strong, reasonably fast swing?
    Cavity back will still help, but you may not need an ultra wide soled design, and may actually not be helped by a lightweight shaft with the previously mentioned attributes.

Without stressing too much though, I would look at what aceillini mentioned, as TE makes some great clubs at fair prices.
    Check closeout stuff from previous years as technology is really not all that different in past couple years.

Hogan CFT's are great clubs and come with hybrids for the 3 & 4.

High handicapper clubs

Thanks to both of you guys for the reply. I tend to not get enough height (I tend to hit low, what we call a worm burner) and most of my mis-hits go right with small slice or straight but left. I guess I tend to swing from out to in and I guess I have a normal swing speed, not fast and not slow. I also tend to top the ball. Any more wisdom out there? Thanks.

Tour Edge Bazooka JMAX QL

$299.99 full retail with steel shafts. I really like mine and I get the ball in air pretty well with these.

You can e-mail me at hohne1@flash.net and I can provide a source for some previous model Tour Edge irons (Comp LX - brand new in the box) with graphite shafts for $99.99 shipped. I just ordered a set - figured for $100, might as well try graphite shafted irons.

Chris Hohne

Quote Originally Posted by masterbio
    Thanks to both of you guys for the reply. I tend to not get enough height (I tend to hit low, what we call a worm burner) and most of my mis-hits go right with small slice or straight but left. I guess I tend to swing from out to in and I guess I have a normal swing speed, not fast and not slow. I also tend to top the ball. Any more wisdom out there? Thanks.
    Every one of those swing flaws is indicative of an out to in swing path.
    Slice = clubface open. If your ball starts straight or left but finishes way right, it is an out to in swing with an open club face.

Straight left= pull. You correct the clubface issue, but it is square to your swing path which is out to in still, and that results in a pull.

Topping the ball. Too steep coming in, ball most likely too far forward in stance, and you probably lose your posture on these swings.

Lessons are the way to fix these problems. What you think is going on in your setup and swing can be skewed from the side on perspective that golf mandates. A qualified pro will work it out with you.

If your swing/tempo is not what most would classify as fast or forceful, then a good starting point would be reg flex steel shafts, perhaps with a softer tip to aid in getting the ball up.
    More weight low, and a wider sole will also assist in that area, and in fat shots.

Bear in mind though that lessons above all else will do more than any 'game improvement' clubs.

My advice would be to pick a set of clubs that you like the looks of, with a shaft that feels good when you hit it, and is not laborious to swing repetitively.
    With a budget in mind, I think you would be better served to get a set of used clubs from a reputable manufacturer, rather than a new, box set from Wal Mart, Target, Dick's, etc.

Also consider the component route. Not clones per se, but that is your choice.

3balls.com
    Rockbottomgolf
    Your local 2nd Swing, Golf HQ, Golf Galaxy, etc all should have plenty of used clubs to try.

Also check with any local courses that do fitting, as they often have demo clubs for great prices.
    As an example, a local course had Miz mp-60's for $450 whereas new is $800 or $900 iirc. Miz mx900 for $400, new is $900.
    Lots of good deals out there though.

Also forgot to mention that Mizuno mx-17's are on clearance at a lot of places for $350 or so as Miuno is getting ready to release new products this fall.
    Also Cobra irons are all on sale for the same reason. 3100's for $320, 3400's for $350 at local retail stores.

There are lots of game-improvement irons available...

Any Cobra, TaylorMade, Callaway, or Ping clubs made in the last 6-8 years would be worthwhile. There are many others, too, but those are your safest bets.

I can guarantee that several of the lemmings on here will recommend some type of Mizuno club, as it seems to be their 'computer chip inserted' obligation to do so...

Oh, wait, we've already gotten one of the lemmings to post already... remember - Mizuno not only makes you envied by others, but it also makes your fake driving distance claims more impressive! GooooOOOOOO MIZUNO!!!

(Use your brain... avoid the hype... go with one of the game improvement irons, instead of a poser iron...)

Quote Originally Posted by swvaguy
    I can guarantee that several of the lemmings on here will recommend some type of Mizuno club, as it seems to be their 'computer chip inserted' obligation to do so...

Oh, wait, we've already gotten one of the lemmings to post already... remember - Mizuno not only makes you envied by others, but it also makes your fake driving distance claims more impressive! GooooOOOOOO MIZUNO!!!

(Use your brain... avoid the hype... go with one of the game improvement irons, instead of a poser iron...)
    Well, I have to assume you are referring to me.
    I only Mentioned the used Mizuno clubs in reference to checking out some local golf courses that may have used demo clubs available at a great price. Not that he should buy mp-60's for crying out loud... they're more of a low hc club anyway. It wa merely an example of the bargains available at local courses.

Secondly, I mentioned the mx-17's as those are a great game improvement club, and considering that they are on clearance at many places now for the same price as most 'entry level' GI clubs made with lesser components, I think they are a great buy, and a set that will stay with him a long time.
    Mx-17's come with DG shafts stock, Golf Pride Tour velvet grips, and heads that are made by one of the most reputable iron manufacturers around, wether you want to acknowledge that or not

I personally, do not play Mizuno's as i have not been able to come across one of the sets that fits my game for a price I am willing to pay.

So before you go assuming everyone who mentions the name Mizuno name is a tour bag carrying, name dropping, 'Lemming' why don't you spend a wee bit of time on your reading comprehension and look at the context in which the post was worded.

If you are looking for good clubs at a good price I would look at the Adams Idea, I had them for 2 years and my handicap went from +30 to about 18. These clubs give you confidence by getting it up in the air and is very forgiving on mishits. You can get a complete set for less then $300 and they include the hybrid 3 and 4 which is a must for many beginners.
    Adams Redline 430Q
    Adams Ovation 3
    Adams Ovation 5 offset
    TaylorMade Rescue 19
    TaylorMade RAC OS 2 4-SW
    Adams Tom Watson GW 54
    Cleaveland CG10 60 degree
    TaylorMade Rossa Daytona CGB Putter

Hit a big retail store catering to golfers.

Golf Galaxy, Bobicks, Nevada Bob's etc... make sure they have a fitter and some gadgets to test your attributes with.

And go from there. I can throw out a lot of names, and tell you what I'm looking for, but it might not measure up to your needs.

If a big retail store isn't around where you live. Go to a BIG pro shop with a fitter.

I recommend you go mid week during the day when you and the fitter have plenty of time for a study. Not after work (part timers), or during the weekend (swamped).

Go up to ping.com, they have a pretty comprehensive list of fitters (state by state), punch in your locality and all the local stores with fitters come up.

Make sure your fitter can fully adjust clubs, (set the lie, swap shafts etc...).

Steel or graphite? I don't know. I like both. Steels feel good in the hand. Graphites are light... it really depends on the study. Remember though, if you get Graphites you may be looking at a bag to carry them in that will protect the shafts from other, shorter clubs banging away at the material.

Go up to Amazon and purchase a used (cheap) Golf for Dummies by Gary McCord, lots of good information under 1 cover.

And begin the journey.

my 2cents
    Last edited by Jorge Babarosa; 08-18-2006 at 06:10 PM.
    Bertha 2004 Titanium
    Tight lies, 3, 5+, 7+
    Tommy Armour 845s 3-SW

Adams Golf GT2 Undercut 60 degree lob
    (...the jury is still out on the lob)

60's Acushnet Bullseye (workhorse)

Odessey Rossi II putter that only works on Billiard table greens

Golf is a game where the ball lies poorly, and the players well. --anon.

Thread Information