|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Lightbulb short game! just to state the obvious

I stuck several GIRs today and struck 3-wood tee then a FW shot next to the green on two on Par 5...yet still got bogies or doubles 'cause although my chippin' OK, but my short pitches sucks and I three-putt way too often. And them 15 to 30 yard partial wedges shots over an elevated greens are really really important...as i truely realize.

now I'm going to work more on my short game, really, this time, 80%...
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Just to reinforce the statement of the obvious......if your game from 130 yards in is on, you'll put up a pretty good score even if your long game is mediocre that day. If your driving and fairway woods are really good, but your short game is off, it is almost impossible to put up a very good score. It's only on those magical days when everything is in sync that a great score gets posted.

I can't count the number of times I've been out with someone who can really crush his drives, but can't put his approach shots on the green. A 280+ yard drive in the fairway plus a blown iron or wedge shot still equals a bogey or worse.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Just to reinforce the statement of the obvious......if your game from 130 yards in is on, you'll put up a pretty good score even if your long game is mediocre" .
    I got to see a demonstration of this a mouth or two ago playing with an old man who had held a two handicap and played competitively for the county in his younger years. His long game had gone he no longer had the strength or flexibility to get elevation or length on his long irons or drives but once in the scoring zone some of the old magic was still there he kept it low got it close and made any put with in six feet. When he stopped after nine he had comfortably beaten me despite not hitting one full shot that I would have been happy with.

If you don't have a short game then lay back to a distance where you feel comfortable. You don't have to hit it close to the green for your third shot on a par 5. You can leave it 100yds back if you choose and that might present you with a shot you may like more than a feel wedge. Of course you should still practice the short game for when you miss greens in regulation.
    Last edited by fred3; 08-22-2006 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    If you don't have a short game then lay back to a distance where you feel comfortable. You don't have to hit it close to the green for your third shot on a par 5. You can leave it 100yds back if you choose and that presents you will a shot you may like more than a feel wedge. Of course you should still practice the short game for when you miss greens in regulation.
    Agreed. I see people get in more trouble trying to attack par 5's with well protected greens (water, many bunkers) with an aggressive second shot rather than laying up to 75-100 yards and putting some good spin on a wedge for their third shot. With my distance (or lack of it) I'm far more likely to get par or better on a par 5 by laying up on the second shot. On the courses I play, the risk/reward just isn't favorable for trying to roll a fairway wood or hybrid onto the green by threading the needle of all of the greenside hazards I encounter.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thread Information