|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

The new titleist 585 hybrid...initial thoughts.

Just picked it up today. 19° with the dynamic gold shaft. I considered going the graphite route, but I hate the Aldila NV, and their in-house shaft is for slower swing speeds. Beyond that, I wanted more control and feedback, and didn't want something I'd get greedy with and sacrifice accuracy.

My need was a second option off the tee, and a reliable Par 5 club. So, I traded both my 904F and 503-H for this club. The 904 has a draw bias which doesn't help a hooker like myself, and it is generally a pain in the ass to keep straight. It's very long when you hit it well, but, that's easier said than done. And the 503 is hopeless from the fairway. As a driving iron it's pretty good, but without a tee it's bleh. Anyway, I didn't get the type of benefits I thought I would from either of these, so they went bye bye.

Good decision? I think so. It's hard to not hit the 585 straight. It's very confidence inspiring at address, and it just looks great overall from the top. Having just bought the club, and having humid weather and slippery hands with no glove, and fearing that the club could slip out of my hands, I can still say fairly confidently that this club will suit my needs. I probably averaged 225 yards with it at the range, which is really all I wanted. With a glove, better balls, and a little more time getting used to the club, I could easily see myself getting 10-15 additional yards out of it on a consistent basis. As far as the feel/sound, typical Titleist as far as woods go. It doesn't have the He-Man/Godzilla/Mr. T characteristics that the Callaway FT-Hybrid does, but it's not too muted or harsh either. It has a nice balance in that regard, just like their current fairway woods. As far as working the ball, great. I hit a dozen or so nice fades at a variety of trejectories fairly easily. I hit a few 100 yard bump and run shots for the hell of it...that should be fun to impliment during a round if the conditions are favorable. There isn't much not to like. The trajectory is definitely 2 iron-ish, maybe a little higher. I expect to see a bigger yardage gain than I saw today just because of how low it plays. The ball should roll out nicely on a real fairway.

So yea, those are my initial thoughts. I'll be sure to write a review after I get some rounds in with it. Hopefuly it will be a positive review.

a second option off the tee?? does this mean your not carrying any other wood besides driver?

sounds like you found the club you where looking for, always nice when that happens.

did you hit the new 906 f2 fairways by chance? interested to know if they swing like all the other fairways titleist makes?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgolfer
    a second option off the tee?? does this mean your not carrying any other wood besides driver?
    That is correct. I'm not ruling out buying another 3 wood at some point, but for my game it's hard for me to convince myself that it's smart. If I were to buy a 3 wood, I'd hardly ever need it in the fairway, and the added loft would give me the silly idea that i can swing out of my shoes on the tee and still keep it play. This 585 purchase was my smartest golf purchase to date. I'm all or nothing with my driver, and if I'm struggling with it I need something else in target-golf mode. I have done a reasonably good job with this using my 3 and 4 irons, but on most courses I play the approach shots are just too long, and as a result my GIR suffer, and subsequently, so do my scores. I averaged 1.82 putts last weekend in my round, and still shot a horrible number. I do have an old Adams Tight Lies that I hit pretty well and may put in the bag from time to time, but as of right now, no fairways in the bag.

did you hit the new 906 f2 fairways by chance? interested to know if they swing like all the other fairways titleist makes?
    I only hit one with the Proforce shaft, and my impression was that it isn't much different than the 904. That said, it does have a neutral setup, and I'm sure it plays different than the 904 in a lot of ways because of that. But as far as feel, no difference from what I could tell. Mostly cosmetics.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenCityGolfer
    That is correct. I'm not ruling out buying another 3 wood at some point, but for my game it's hard for me to convince myself that it's smart. If I were to buy a 3 wood, I'd hardly ever need it in the fairway, and the added loft would give me the silly idea that i can swing out of my shoes on the tee and still keep it play. This 585 purchase was my smartest golf purchase to date. I'm all or nothing with my driver, and if I'm struggling with it I need something else in target-golf mode. I have done a reasonably good job with this using my 3 and 4 irons, but on most courses I play the approach shots are just too long, and as a result my GIR suffer, and subsequently, so do my scores. I averaged 1.82 putts last weekend in my round, and still shot a horrible number. I do have an old Adams Tight Lies that I hit pretty well and may put in the bag from time to time, but as of right now, no fairways in the bag.

I only hit one with the Proforce shaft, and my impression was that it isn't much different than the 904. That said, it does have a neutral setup, and I'm sure it plays different than the 904 in a lot of ways because of that. But as far as feel, no difference from what I could tell. Mostly cosmetics.
    If you are looking for another wood 3, 4, 5, etc... and since you like the Tight Lies the Ovation is such a nice club and you can get it for like $40 right now. I have the Adams Quad 430 driver and the ovation 3 and 5 woods and just love them. I was thinking of the club you just bought but ended getting a TaylorMade Rescue 19 degree for about $50
    Adams Redline 430Q
    Adams Ovation 3
    Adams Ovation 5 offset
    TaylorMade Rescue 19
    TaylorMade RAC OS 2 4-SW
    Adams Tom Watson GW 54
    Cleaveland CG10 60 degree
    TaylorMade Rossa Daytona CGB Putter

Adams Ideal...

Hi Boomer
    Just traded in my King Cobras for Adams Ideal A2s

To be honest I don't seem to be able to make the same distances with the Adams as I could witht the Cobras.
    The Adams seem to feel really spongy on contact, as if the shaft is too soft. My Cobras were regular shaft (graphite) and the adams are steel regular apart from graphite on the 3,4,5 and 6 iron...

Thoughts?.....

Quote Originally Posted by jbooma
    If you are looking for another wood 3, 4, 5, etc... and since you like the Tight Lies the Ovation is such a nice club and you can get it for like $40 right now. I have the Adams Quad 430 driver and the ovation 3 and 5 woods and just love them. I was thinking of the club you just bought but ended getting a TaylorMade Rescue 19 degree for about $50
    Adams generally makes a great quality product. I might have to demo some of their stuff next time I'm at Golf Galaxy.

Also...I played my first round with the 585 today. I hit a bad hook off the tee on one of the holes, and found myself 220 yards out in the rough with a decent lie shooting to an elevated green. I elected to pull the 585, and hit an absolute laser that almost hit the flagstick. It settled in the fringe about 10 feet from the hole. I made Par. No other club in my bag could have produced that shot, and at that point I felt validated in my purchase of the club. I almost aced the following Par 3, and I attribute a lot of it to confidence coming off the prior hole. So far I'm nothing but pleased with the club.

I picked up the same club three days ago. I used it at the range yesterday and played my first round with it today. I love the trajectory and it is EASY to hit. I had a 275 yard second shot on a par 5 and used the 585 for a layup. I was left with 50 yards. So (with roll Im sure) I hit the thing 225 with ease! Its the kind of club that if you think 80% while you swing you almost cant hit it crooked.

I usually wait a year and buy clubs when the price drops but on this I just couldnt wait. I dont regret it at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3-PW [COLOR="DarkOrange"]TaylorMade[/COLOR] Forged RAC CB (DG S-300)
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]Cleveland[/COLOR] 588 56* and 60*
    [COLOR="Blue"]Ping [/COLOR]N-Echo Puttter

I bought one this week. A 19 with ProForce V2 100-S shaft. This after trying all of the other hybrids. My biggest gripe is how most setup. Closed, offset, etc. I put this one down and in the immortal words of Bill Murray, "and that's all she wrote".

Hitting was a foregone conclusion. Straight, long, workable. There is nothing I would change, it's that good.

I play the Mizuno MP UX2 utilities in 20 and 23 degrees, and they share many of the design features of the new Titleist offering. Both are square faced, neutrally weighted, non-offset, and have tungsten in the soles to shift the COG low and posterior. The Mizunos also have a composite crown and a bit of heel and toe relief in the sole design, but other than that they're quite similar, and both well designed clubs. (They're the Japanese version of the FliHi CLK's, with a few more features.) They knocked my Hogan CFT's out of the bag after a long run there. These square faced, neutrally weighted, low COG wood based hybrids are absolutely unbeatable in my hands. I can hit them far more consistently and from a wider variety of lies than either lofted metalwoods, long irons, or iron based hybrids. Obviously, everybody find what works for them and do what works for you.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thread Information