|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

64 Degree Wedge / how many carry?

I was considering purchasing a 64 degree wedge and was just curious how many people currently use one. My wedge of choice right now is a 60, and after some practice I am pretty confident from about 30 yds and in (nice height, decent stopping ability) - I was wondering if a 64 is much harder to hit, or will it add more GOOD options to an above average short game (actually the only consistent part of my game) - just looking for some reaction - THANKS...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Kotes
    I was considering purchasing a 64 degree wedge and was just curious how many people currently use one. My wedge of choice right now is a 60, and after some practice I am pretty confident from about 30 yds and in (nice height, decent stopping ability) - I was wondering if a 64 is much harder to hit, or will it add more GOOD options to an above average short game (actually the only consistent part of my game) - just looking for some reaction - THANKS...
    I had a 64* wedge that i got from Kmart about 3yrs ago. I was very inconsisent with the club, i think the max distance i could hit it was 30yds (not that that is most important with the wedges) and more often than not I either chili dipped it or bladed the hell out of it. Needless to say i gave it away to a friend and it has since disappeared. Anyway i now only carry a 56 + 60* and thinking about getting a 50*. My wedge game is also my strong point.

I don't think many people would benefit from having a 64 degree wedge in their bag. Face it; we're not Phil. If you want more loft than a 58 or even 60 degree wedge will give you, learn to open up the blade for more loft. Even the 60 degree wedge can be a mixed blessing for many people. If one really works on it, it can be a great club and can make shots in selected situations that would be difficult with any other club. But unless one spends the necessary time to really get comfortable with it, the 60 degree club can cost most strokes than it saves, because of bladed and chunked shots. I play a 58 degree, which is very similar to a 60, but I spend lots of time working on it, and feel quite comfortable with it. There are plenty of people on this board who absolutely love their 60 degree wedges, and many more who don't carry them any more. A 64 degree would be even more problematic than a 60 unless one really took it on as a project. Still, opening the blade of a 56 to 60 degree club a bit should accomplish just about anything that a 64 degree could do, and wouldn't have quite as much potential downside. Just my opinion.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I don't think many people would benefit from having a 64 degree wedge in their bag. Face it; we're not Phil. If you want more loft than a 58 or even 60 degree wedge will give you, learn to open up the blade for more loft. Even the 60 degree wedge can be a mixed blessing for many people. If one really works on it, it can be a great club and can make shots in selected situations that would be difficult with any other club. But unless one spends the necessary time to really get comfortable with it, the 60 degree club can cost most strokes than it saves, because of bladed and chunked shots. I play a 58 degree, which is very similar to a 60, but I spend lots of time working on it, and feel quite comfortable with it. There are plenty of people on this board who absolutely love their 60 degree wedges, and many more who don't carry them any more. A 64 degree would be even more problematic than a 60 unless one really took it on as a project. Still, opening the blade of a 56 to 60 degree club a bit should accomplish just about anything that a 64 degree could do, and wouldn't have quite as much potential downside. Just my opinion.
    Couldnt have said it better myself, dont waste your time with a 64* wedge, learn to hit 15 different types of shots with your 56* then if you find it necessary get a 60* wedge, learn to hit 15 different types of shots with that...trust me you will become a wizard with your short game if you do that and probably score in the 70's consistently...

Thank you both - appreciate the feedback. I currently use my 60 degree exclusively, love it and the results - I was just looking for more options on those short-sided, firm greens that I often play - but it actually sounds more harmful than helpful - i just wanted to hear the real difference in playing a 60 v. 64 - Thanks...

i agree with them I got rid of my 60 and got a 58 and then after only a few months got rid of it and now carry a 54 as my most lofted....i dont find many times when i feel i need any more loft .... even out of deep bunkers when i open my 54 it gets up more than fast enough....

I used to play with a tricked up 62* wedge. First off, it has an abrasive face (illegal), then I ground off most of the bounce so it would sit flat. It felt funny, so I added a bunch of lead tape to the top half of the back. It took a long time (2 years) till I could be real effective with it & even then, there were few situations that called for it.

On the plus side, after using that abomination for years, I now have a legal 60* wedge that I find easy to play a whole host of different shots with. I rarely chunk or blade it, but can't get the ball to spin up next to the pin when I'm short sided & have a downhill lie anymore.
    Taylor Made R540XD 10.5*
    Sonartec NP-99 15* & 21*
    Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T Black Ni 51-06, 56-13, 60-08
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Kotes

If you have an above average short game, you don't need a 64* wedge. In fact, almost no one needs one. A little factor to keep in mind - just because a golf manufacturer produces it, does NOT mean more than .0001% of the golfing population would ever NEED it. Only if you're a freak like Phil Mickelson...

Three wedges is pushing the envelope, four is beyond it. Time & money are better spent perfecting your basic wedges before buying new ones that you probably won't learn to hit. This is a statement in general, not a direct response to the original question...

Thread Information