|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Friend Captain's Choice rules question

Hi folks...today I played in yet another charity captains choice golf event which had your typical mulligans, throws and "skirt" (tee from the ladies tee box) tricks you could purchase. It's never come up before but someone in my group had a couple specific questions about how some of these "tricks" are used. So I thought I'd see what others thought:

1) "Skirts"...so if you've purchased a "skirt", is that an "extra" tee shot from the ladies/forward tee box in addition to your tee shot from the blue/white tees? Or, instead of teeing off from the blue/white tee box, you move forward and still hit only one drive from the forward/ladies tee?

2) Throws: So say you're sitting beside the green and one of your team decides to use his/her throw to get you closer to the hole and his throw rolls somewhere thats not advantageous to be hitting from. Are you bound to all move there and play your next "shots" from there or can the other team mates hit from where the ball was before it was thrown? Could someone else use another throw from the original place of the first throw?

3) Mulligans: So you're in the fairway and one of your team mates decides to hit a mulligan, not realizing one of the other balls is within say 10 feet of the flag. He hits his "mulligan" somewhere near the green but not closer than the 10 feet and reaches the green and realizes that one shot was close and declares "If I had known that ball was that close I would never have hit a mulligan", can he "reclaim" that mulligan to use again later? - I said no, that once you've said I'm using it and hit a shot, it's used no matter what the results are. You don't get to decide after the fact that since I didn't use it, I can keep it again later.

Thanks for your insights.
    S

Response, in my experience with "Jungle Golf" tournaments

S---

1) "Skirts"...so if you've purchased a "skirt", is that an "extra" tee shot from the ladies/forward tee box in addition to your tee shot from the blue/white tees? Or, instead of teeing off from the blue/white tee box, you move forward and still hit only one drive from the forward/ladies tee?
    Here they play it as an "alternate" shot; in other words, in place of not in addition to your tee shot. Besides, why slow down a tournament even more????

2) Throws: So say you're sitting beside the green and one of your team decides to use his/her throw to get you closer to the hole and his throw rolls somewhere thats not advantageous to be hitting from. Are you bound to all move there and play your next "shots" from there or can the other team mates hit from where the ball was before it was thrown? Could someone else use another throw from the original place of the first throw?
    Usually only one throw used per hole at a time; can't combine them. However, we have had some "physically challenged" individuals whose throw is terrible. You can still choose a golf shot from the scramble or team's previous players to use instead. Also have played with ex-baseball players who think they can throw a 1.65oz golf ball as far as they can a baseball...........let me assure you, it CANNOT be done no matter what you think. LOL

3) Mulligans: So you're in the fairway and one of your team mates decides to hit a mulligan, not realizing one of the other balls is within say 10 feet of the flag. He hits his "mulligan" somewhere near the green but not closer than the 10 feet and reaches the green and realizes that one shot was close and declares "If I had known that ball was that close I would never have hit a mulligan", can he "reclaim" that mulligan to use again later? - I said no, that once you've said I'm using it and hit a shot, it's used no matter what the results are. You don't get to decide after the fact that since I didn't use it, I can keep it again later.
    First off, most people here use mulligans whether they purchased them or not (another reason not to play in charity tournaments that allow them) However, if you are playing in the spirit of mulligans, it's not a hit till you are happy type of deal; if you use one, then it's expended. Besides, c'mon....aren't you guys tired of enough 5 hour+ tournament rounds?

Of interest, another question. Has anyone here played in an HONEST scramble yet? LOL

Yes. And we never play with mulligans, throw, skirts or steel shafts. Hickory baby!
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

Back in the 60's you could buy hickory shafted clubs at the 2nd hand shops (junk shops now called antique boutiques) for 25 cents a piece.

I bought a couple of clubs... and the steel shafted 9iron that became the club that taught me the game.

Spent a quarter of coke bottle money for a 9i. I would hit anything with it.... golf balls, wiffles, frogs, my sisters, rocks... it didn't matter... it did teach me the game... sort of. I had that club for years. Lost it, threw it away whatever back in the late 70's. It was nothing special just a junker club. I still buy junker clubs at thrift stores. I used them at the beach or wherever I don't feel like taking "good" clubs to... and I can still hit rocks, hickory nuts, frogs... whatever.

Oh yeah hickory shafts in the hands of a 10 year old... don't hold up well.
    Bertha 2004 Titanium
    Tight lies, 3, 5+, 7+
    Tommy Armour 845s 3-SW

Adams Golf GT2 Undercut 60 degree lob
    (...the jury is still out on the lob)

60's Acushnet Bullseye (workhorse)

Odessey Rossi II putter that only works on Billiard table greens

Golf is a game where the ball lies poorly, and the players well. --anon.

Thread Information