|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Draw Drivers?

Draw Drivers?

Can anyone tell me any information regarding Draw drivers? Seems they're all over the place these days...

I realize they promote a draw.. duh.. but is it just a closing of the club face or somethign else? Does it have any down side? less distance? more likely to hook? etc?

Anyone who'se used draw and neutral of the same drivers and has opinions regarding them, feedback would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Shiv
    [FONT="Fixedsys"]-------------------------------------
    |...........Current Clubs...........|
    -------------------------------------
    |Driver: Mizuno MP-001 Adilda 65-S..|
    |Putter: Cheapo Piece of Crap.......|
    |Woods: Bazooka HL 13* Strong 3.....|
    |Hybrid: Mitsushiba 21*.............|
    |Irons: Mizuno MP-60................|
    |Wedges: PW: Mizuno MP-60...........|
    |........LW: Cleveland 588 60-03....|
    |Shoes: Adidas Z-Traxion............|
    [/FONT]

I've used the Hogan C-S3 Draw Bias and currently use the Callaway FT-3 Draw Bias. Yes, for most of these drivers the face is usually closed but that is really not where the draw bias comes from. Most drivers out there nowadays have closed faces unless you go for a "tour" model that usually sets up square. There are plenty of drivers that are not closed faced but I most people would have a hard time telling the difference since manuafacturers have been doing it for so long.

The draw bias drivers typically have additional weight on the heel of the club. This promotes the clubhead to turnover more quickly in the swing bringing the face to square (or slightly closed) at impact. Most people slice for tow reasons, outside/In swing path and open club face. The added weight in the heel of the club attempts to fix the open face problem.

Most clubs such as the C-S3 and FT-3 have fixed weights so if you buy a draw bias, you are stuck with it. Clubs like the Taylor Made R7 have movable weights that allow for several configurations that you can move depending on how you are swinging. Moving the heavier weight to the tow will promote a fade; middle will promote neutral.

Now, do these clubs work. Well, I had a very fade with my older drivers due to me not getting my hands around quick enough. My Hogan driver completely fixed that and I was able to draw the ball at will. This wasn't a function of the weighted clubhead as much as it was the regular flex shaft I was using. Problem was that my quick swings ended up as pull hooks.

I switched to the FT-3 with a stiff shaft and that fixed the pull hooks but my average shot is now a high slight fade (compared to my old bannana ball). A draw shot is completely accidental with this club. Distance has not been hurt by this ball flight as I probably hit this club a good 15 to 20 yards further than anything I've ever hit.

In the end, I am much more comfortable using a driver with a draw bias since my problem has always been turing my hands over to slowly. If your main problem is an outside/in swing, you might end up seeing a a lot of pull/hooks in you ball flight. As everyone will say here, the only way to know if this will work for you is to demo one.

Draw drivers are the root of all evil..they are the devil .

My typical ball flight is a draw, and my misses are hooks. Draw drivers promote too much left to right action for me (lefty), and hooked driver usually rolls for a half-hour, meaning even if it lands on the right fairway, it rolls into the godamned trees. I hate anything with offsets and draw biases. I experimented with a Cobra for a;ll of 3 days this summer, and ditched it in a heartbeat. My favorite driver of all time - Titleist 975 L-FE. As a matter of fact, the next one I see on ebay will be snagged quickly - should have never gotten rid of that pole.

It is the weighting that is the main factor, although the closed face does not help - I have even more difficulty lining up properly with closed and offset faces. I am going to try the Orlimar HTi440, which has a square face, and I am grabbing the next 8.5* 975LFE I see, and that will be my driver arsenal. If you slice, the draw biased clubs will help. Personally, I don't see how they are a hell of a lot different than the offset drivers that people tend to consider "band-aids", but hey, it's your game...play what makes you happy.
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

Nice to see you Boomhauer

I have the r5 type D. My usual ball flight is a draw and my miss is a hook. With the type D it's pretty easy to miss the fairway 40 yards right(lefty). I definitely makes a difference.

But I have found that I don’t have the odd slice anymore.

But lately I have been swinging reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly bad and just completely block everything way left with the driver, and shaking the irons. God damn hips and lower body feel like there in the finish position during my ****in backswing. I love golf.

But I digress.

Most type D driver are from weights and closed faces, and they certainly make the difference. But you still have t swing the club half descent. They don’t completely correct a slice, they just make it less drastic.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

They TM R5 D was the club that got me questioning it. There seems to be more of them sold on ebay than the N's :P As reccomended id deffinately try one out before I used it... but I think ive fixed my outside to inside swing path so I don't know that it would do much I'd want.

Thankyou for all the excellent information though, way better than expected!
    [FONT="Fixedsys"]-------------------------------------
    |...........Current Clubs...........|
    |Driver: Mizuno MP-001 Adilda 65-S..|
    |Putter: Cheapo Piece of Crap.......|
    |Woods: Bazooka HL 13* Strong 3.....|
    |Hybrid: Mitsushiba 21*.............|
    |Irons: Mizuno MP-60................|
    |Wedges: PW: Mizuno MP-60...........|
    |........LW: Cleveland 588 60-03....|
    |Shoes: Adidas Z-Traxion............|
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by shiva
    They TM R5 D was the club that got me questioning it. There seems to be more of them sold on ebay than the N's :P As reccomended id deffinately try one out before I used it... but I think ive fixed my outside to inside swing path so I don't know that it would do much I'd want.

Thankyou for all the excellent information though, way better than expected!
    If I were you, Shiva, and I wasn't sure of which was the better option for my current swing, I would take a square, neutral driver as a base-line, and try a draw and fade model against it for a comparisson. Something like a G2 would be a great neutral set-up. You'd get a good idea of what suits your swing best. Hit it a few times to see where your flight is headed, then try the others and see if one helps you achieve your desired flight more effectively.

Hey Boom, you do know that the 975 LFE is non-conforming right? Before you use one in a tourney and get DQ'ed.

I would look at the Type N first Shiva, as the face is unbelievably closed on that thing
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by emc
    Hey Boom, you do know that the 975 LFE is non-conforming right? Before you use one in a tourney and get DQ'ed.

I would look at the Type N first Shiva, as the face is unbelievably closed on that thing
    I've seriously come to love my Type-N
    Driver - Callaway FT-5 9.5 Stiff Fuji360
    3 Wood - Nike Ignite T-60 (Fuji)
    4H - Nickent 3DX 4H
    4-PW - TM Rac OS 2
    GW- Titleist Spin Milled 52/8
    SW - TM Rac Black 54/10
    AP - Titleist Spin Milled 60/12
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Detour 2.0

Handicap - 16 (index)

Quote Originally Posted by emc

Are you serious?

Too hot?

I never realized that - I assumed all Titlests were made to specs...Jesus...no wonder the thing hit so far on good contacts.

Even if you slice the draw driver, meaning closed face, doesn't seem to help all that much. All it did for me was turn my slice into a pull. In the long run you would be better served by a neutral weighted driver along with a square face...after all it is the indian right?

i hate any driver that has weights to help hit draws or fades... quit the game if you suck that bad
    Driver: Cobra F-speed 9.0* UST Proforce v2
    Fairway metal: cleveland 19*, soon to come titleist 904 13*
    Irons: Hogan FTX
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 gunmetal 56* and cg10 52*
    Putter: Scotty studio design 3.5

"It did what it do" - Rasheed wallace

I was extremely angry at my driver recently. Thought about lead tape...a lesson...and those new "adjustable drivers." Thought too little and ended up in the store.

Bought that Ben Hogan CS-3 with draw-bias on a whim for $100. Shaft was right...head looked "right" to me...

As it should've (or shouldn't have), everything went right and was a draw into the woods or OB. I returned it the next day...and got store credit.

I then finally got off my stubborn butt and coughed up the coin I should've in the first place for a lesson from a PGA pro...and just got a new custom-fit driver.

Not a knock on that Ben Hogan driver. It was kinda good. But...with that "draw bias" I even tried to purposely "Lee Trevino-slice" the darn thing -- and it would go straight.

Better to pay for a lesson, methinks. I've never been a fan of gimmicks or quick-fixes -- and I fell for the BS because I was ticked and had too much $$$ burning a hole in my pocket.

Note to self: a club can't fix mechanics.

That's my experience with "draw bias" drivers.

Regards...

RS
    Last edited by RightSide; 09-06-2006 at 07:32 PM.

I agree with Rightside completely. Having a driver that is set up to draw is like having an offset driver - it is a band-aid that is covering up swing flaws. I am not tryign to start this debate abgain, and I am no traditionalist who thinks we should all carrry blades and persimon, but the only way you are going to see a true improvement in your swing mechanics is to use a neutral driver, and groove your swing. Once your swing is repeatable, then adjustments like weighting can halp you fine tune your ball flight, but building your swing around a club set up to counteract a swing flaw will guarantee the continued presence of said flaw. Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomhauer
    I am no traditionalist who thinks we should all carrry blades and persimon, but the only way you are going to see a true improvement in your swing mechanics is to use a neutral driver, and groove your swing. Once your swing is repeatable, then adjustments like weighting can halp you fine tune your ball flight, but building your swing around a club set up to counteract a swing flaw will guarantee the continued presence of said flaw. Just my $.02.
    I agree with you to a point, however, for the person who works full time and is lucky to get out once a week on a Saturday, these types of drivers can help. Not everyone can find time or money to spend on taking multiple lessons to fix their swings. For most people, just getting out on the course is a huge task. Add to that the location of where they live such as the northeast, US and the amount of time that one can play is limited by weather. Deciding to take a lesson for a couple of weekends rather than playing won't really help much becuase it is too difficult to practice to find that repeatable swing. Plus, by spending time on lessons, it takes away several rounds from the maybe 10 rounds a year a person can play.

Please don't think that I am against lessons. I actually get to play quite a bit now since I joined a club and I believe my swing flaws can be fixed by a few lessons. However, 90% of the golfers in the world play golf for fun on the weekends and are not really interested in handicaps or shaving strokes off their game. The main reason is to have fun away from their normal everyday stressed out lives and if club technology can help them keep their ball in play a little bit more (and help keep the pace of play a little faster), by all means give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by mpkelley20
    I agree with you to a point, however, for the person who works full time and is lucky to get out once a week on a Saturday, these types of drivers can help. Not everyone can find time or money to spend on taking multiple lessons to fix their swings. For most people, just getting out on the course is a huge task. Add to that the location of where they live such as the northeast, US and the amount of time that one can play is limited by weather. Deciding to take a lesson for a couple of weekends rather than playing won't really help much becuase it is too difficult to practice to find that repeatable swing. Plus, by spending time on lessons, it takes away several rounds from the maybe 10 rounds a year a person can play.

Please don't think that I am against lessons. I actually get to play quite a bit now since I joined a club and I believe my swing flaws can be fixed by a few lessons. However, 90% of the golfers in the world play golf for fun on the weekends and are not really interested in handicaps or shaving strokes off their game. The main reason is to have fun away from their normal everyday stressed out lives and if club technology can help them keep their ball in play a little bit more (and help keep the pace of play a little faster), by all means give it a try.
    The great thing about golf is that we can both be right. I agree with you ocmpletely. As I said in my first post - it is your game - play what makes you happy. I started with a set of offset irons - that is an improvement characteristic. Now i play a set with less offset because they suit my swing better, but they also make demand a better swing. Anyone who outfits themself with gear to make their game easier or more enjoyable is not wrong in doing so - their goals are different than the hard-core handicap chaser, in all likelihood, but it doesn't mean they should suffer through frustration because they don't have the time and or money to invest in swing development.

Quote Originally Posted by mpkelley20

I agree with you 100% but to play devils advocate let me say this. If you can't afford to take a lesson how can you afford to buy one of the new "draw" driver.

Isn't the LFE only no-conforming if it doesn't have "score lines" in the striking area? There was a couple year period where most mfg skipped putting the grooves in the sweet spot to reduce spin and therefore create greater length. I thought the LFE was available both ways?
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Thread Information