|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Longest Golf Ball?? Any scientific info out there?

Hey folks......anyone know any info on scientific or lab tests on the longest golf ball? Spin? Other than the Consumer Digest report this summer which lists Nike PowerDistance Soft as a "best buy", along with some top balls, has anyone seen anything scientifically (is that a word?) or testing reviews that are NOT ADS?

Or for that matter, what is your personal experience. For example, I find the best all round ball to be the ProV1x because it doesn't go as high or spin as much as the ProV1. I can spin a V1 off the green in many situations at our course; it also seems to balloon more than the ProV1x for my game. (Single digit handicap; fairly long, high ball hitter) But it's also VERY EXPENSIVE for every day play and no place that I know discounts the price much from retail. So, I will use Calloways' ball for every day play, or ones that I have won, etc because I will only use a ball about 9 holes max. (NXT's are just not the same quality ball for distance and they seem much "harder" to me, for example)

What's your opinion or proof?

Nike one platinum, baby......goes farther than pro v's and spins less.....yeahya....

I am distance challenged, so naturally I have tried all the distance balls. For me personally, here are the results:

1) Fireball (see fireballgolf.com). By far the longest, but unfortunately, not legal by USGA standards.

2) Dimplit (see dimplit.com). Like fireballs, generally only available on the internet but they are legal and go really far and straight for me.

3) Pinnacle Exception.

Some of the distance gain on the Dimplits is due to a lot of roll after hitting the ground, which is not necessarily a good thing. But on a really hard fairway, I can drive the dimplit about 250 yards (190 carry plus 60 roll) vs. barely 200 for other balls (180 carry and only 20 of roll). The bombers on this board would probably want to shy away from Dimplits, since the results would be too wild (sort of like when Tiger chose to keep his driver in his bag at the British this year). But for us short knockers, Dimplits are awesome!

I don't think that you are going to see any significant differences in terms of distance when comparing balls of the same class. For instance, Pro V's, HX Tours, Nike Platinums, and any other premium 3 piece ball that you can think of, is basically as good as it gets as far as golf balls go. If you average 250 yards with a Pro V1, you'll probabaly average the same with a Platinum, or any of the other balls. I would say that performance as far as control/spin is really what makes or breaks a golf ball.

In my case, I hit range balls nearly as far as the Pro V1's I play during my rounds. I might get 5 yards extra of carry with the Pro V's verses the standard range ball. Of course, the Pro V is superior in every other way, but as far as distance, I don't see myself losing hardly anything when I'm hitting a cheapo 2 piece ball. When I really go after one, I carry about 295 yards with my driver. In my last two rounds, I drove two different 300 yard Par 4's, and it's not much harder to do this at the range with their cheapo balls.

If I actually bought into the distance hype, I'd be playing the Pro V1x.

In my bag is a mixture of pretty much every high end ball you can get, including PV-1's and x's, HX's, Z-UR, U-TRI, etc. The longest ball I have hit yet is the Callaway HX-Hot. It doesn't spin worth a damn, but it is a club longer than any other ball I have tried - it is long enoght that I have to take it into consideration on the odd hole where I use one just for more length off the tee - you have to allow for the increase on your approach shots. I am no proponent of equipment giving big distance increases (see my technology peak thread), but I have to honestly say the Hot plays significantly longer for me, especially off irons, than any other ball I've tried - that being said, I don't use them. I think the best ball I have tried yet for everything (except the price) is the Hogan Tour Deep. The toned down Hawk is great too, at a slightly easier price tag.
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

[QUOTE=MJFGolf]Hey folks......anyone know any info on scientific or lab tests on the longest golf ball? Spin? Other than the Consumer Digest report this summer which lists Nike PowerDistance Soft as a "best buy", along with some top balls, has anyone seen anything scientifically (is that a word?) or testing reviews that are NOT ADS?QUOTE]

try www.golfballtest.com

i think it's what you're looking for.

Know of updated similar site?

[QUOTE=divotman]
    Quote Originally Posted by MJFGolf
    Hey folks......anyone know any info on scientific or lab tests on the longest golf ball? Spin? Other than the Consumer Digest report this summer which lists Nike PowerDistance Soft as a "best buy", along with some top balls, has anyone seen anything scientifically (is that a word?) or testing reviews that are NOT ADS?QUOTE]

try www.golfballtest.com

i think it's what you're looking for.
    Thanks for link. Do you know if there is an updated site or one similar?

I prefer the prov1. Flat swing.

go to www.thelongestball.com you won't believe this ball!

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomhauer
    In my bag is a mixture of pretty much every high end ball you can get, including PV-1's and x's, HX's, Z-UR, U-TRI, etc. The longest ball I have hit yet is the Callaway HX-Hot.
    Dittos.

The Cally Orange is the longest ball I ever hit, period. Not fun to play golf with, clunky, loud, can't stop it on the green, putting it feels like a hammer to a ball bearing, but it does go a long long ways.

Srixon Z URC is a short ball, that's why I quit playing it. The TP Black goes about the same as a Pro V1, and I have played the HX tour and it does about the same. Srixon spins great but doesn't carry quite as far as the other top tour balls.

Cally Orange, baby, for unrivaled distance and the lovely clunky feel of a range ball, because let's face it, that's pretty much what it is.

Like EVERYTHING else in golf equipment, any decision is a compromise. Get something, give up something. With firm, low spinning balls, the ball may go farther and straighter, but you'll give up some iron and wedge spin, so the short game may give up what the long game gained. You may get to the green a bit faster, but it will be more difficult to keep it on the green with control once you've arrived. All of the differences are simply relative, though.
    The main variables are distance, spin, feel, durability, and price. You will never find the "perfect ball," since it doesn't exist.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    Dittos.

The Cally Orange is the longest ball I ever hit, period. Not fun to play golf with, clunky, loud, can't stop it on the green, putting it feels like a hammer to a ball bearing, but it does go a long long ways.

Srixon Z URC is a short ball, that's why I quit playing it. The TP Black goes about the same as a Pro V1, and I have played the HX tour and it does about the same. Srixon spins great but doesn't carry quite as far as the other top tour balls.

Cally Orange, baby, for unrivaled distance and the lovely clunky feel of a range ball, because let's face it, that's pretty much what it is.
    You and Boomhauer should give the new HX Hot Bite a go. I use them and they definitely have some stop on the greens. I can back up anything from 8 iron in on receptive greens. Not sure if they are as long as the orange balls as I din't use them, but I find these to be long, but not quite as long as the D2 distance, which is by far the longest ball out there for my swing. I also use the ZURC and I find them to be longer than Pro V1's and as long as the X. I guess some balls have spin and launch characterisitcs that suit some players better than others.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Selecting the Longest Ball

There are many posts out there of golfers asking "what is the longest ball in golf?". Well, the answer to that is another "it depends."

Selecting the right ball for a given player depends on the players objectives for distance, control and feel. So, if you want to max out on distance and have no spin control with your irons and wedges and no feel around the green or with the putter, there are some balls out there to fit that bill. but again "it depends." Maxing out on distance will depend on the player and your specific ability to generate ball ball speed, and then how you hit the ball - in particular your launch angle and the amount of spin you put on the ball with your driver.

Check out the Golf Ball FAQs at GolfBallSelector.com to learn more > http://golfballselector.com/buyersGuide/faqs.php

My understanding is that the distance difference between a 3 piece and 2 piece is less than ten yards difference off the tee at 100mph ss If I remember right from an article I read the ProV1 was 257 and the longest 2 piece was 265. The real difference is in the irons because 10 yards on a 3 iron is much more sig than ten on a driver. Also they tested the 5 iron in the article and found that the difference in distance was double the PERCENTAGE difference with 2 piece distance balls leading the way. You could always try a low compression ball and see if the problem isn't your speed so much as your ability to put a solid strike through the ball.
    2 tears in a bucket

Surely it's gotta be the Topflite XL-3000.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Irish folklore says that if you ask what the longest ball is, approximately 2 years later a golf ball guru will arrive and answer your question. I guess this thread kind of prooves that true, eh?
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

The Bridgestone Tour B-330 in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by QueenCityGolfer
    I don't think that you are going to see any significant differences in terms of distance when comparing balls of the same class. For instance, Pro V's, HX Tours, Nike Platinums, and any other premium 3 piece ball that you can think of, is basically as good as it gets as far as golf balls go. If you average 250 yards with a Pro V1, you'll probabaly average the same with a Platinum, or any of the other balls. I would say that performance as far as control/spin is really what makes or breaks a golf ball.

In my case, I hit range balls nearly as far as the Pro V1's I play during my rounds. I might get 5 yards extra of carry with the Pro V's verses the standard range ball. Of course, the Pro V is superior in every other way, but as far as distance, I don't see myself losing hardly anything when I'm hitting a cheapo 2 piece ball. When I really go after one, I carry about 295 yards with my driver. In my last two rounds, I drove two different 300 yard Par 4's, and it's not much harder to do this at the range with their cheapo balls.

If I actually bought into the distance hype, I'd be playing the Pro V1x.
    How do they go on bump and runs with the lob wedge? Just wonderin.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by MJFGolf
    Hey folks......anyone know any info on scientific or lab tests on the longest golf ball? Spin? Other than the Consumer Digest report this summer which lists Nike PowerDistance Soft as a "best buy", along with some top balls, has anyone seen anything scientifically (is that a word?) or testing reviews that are NOT ADS?

Or for that matter, what is your personal experience. For example, I find the best all round ball to be the ProV1x because it doesn't go as high or spin as much as the ProV1. I can spin a V1 off the green in many situations at our course; it also seems to balloon more than the ProV1x for my game. (Single digit handicap; fairly long, high ball hitter) But it's also VERY EXPENSIVE for every day play and no place that I know discounts the price much from retail. So, I will use Calloways' ball for every day play, or ones that I have won, etc because I will only use a ball about 9 holes max. (NXT's are just not the same quality ball for distance and they seem much "harder" to me, for example)

What's your opinion or proof?
    Its been proven that the longest ball on the market is the new top flight dimple in dimple balls . Or In reality the longest ball on the market is the golf ball that fits your swing speed a style of play. Im a Prov1x or Bridgestone b330-s type guy. Its whatever ball fits you ,thats going to be the longest ball

Wouldn't the b330 be more like a 1x? I've tried the 330-s but I spun the crap out of those things. I found and tried a 330-rx this weekend. Played nice through the green in 50* temp. but spun way too much for my likings on full wedge shots. If I played in the desert with firm greens I would probably have a different opinion.

Nike platinum, b330, 1x, URC, itour, etc. all play very similar to me. I don't practice enough to notice the difference between them.

I agree with you on this one POe. Every manufacturer seems to have two premium balls, one for normal swing speeds, and a harder version that works better for higher swing speeds. I've tried the balls you have listed above, as well as most of the spinnier versions of each manufacturers premium balls and for my money I like the ZURC the best at the moment. I hit it noticably further than other balls, and I get heaps of bite. It feels slightly harder around the greens than some of the others, but I still seem to get more check on this ball than the rest, and it feels nice and solid off the putter.

For out and out distance Pro Status might be onto something with the top flites. I've used the D2 distance balls in the past and they are stupid long. On slow receptive greens I still use them, bt most of the time the ZURC is my gamer these days.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Wouldn't the b330 be more like a 1x? I've tried the 330-s but I spun the crap out of those things. I found and tried a 330-rx this weekend. Played nice through the green in 50* temp. but spun way too much for my likings on full wedge shots. If I played in the desert with firm greens I would probably have a different opinion.

Nike platinum, b330, 1x, URC, itour, etc. all play very similar to me. I don't practice enough to notice the difference between them.
    The funny thing about the nike platinum is if you dont have a swing speed of 105mph or better you actually lose distance because they fall out of the air if not compressed enough. This info is coming from a good friend of mine who is a Nike golf rep

Many golf balls, higher end, require more clubhead speed to maximize their "potential." If you don't have enough, they might not spin enough and could drop pretty quick at the end. Personally, not sure which brands are more likely to have this problem and if it makes a big difference. For the most distance I'd recommend putting $.50 into a little vending machine and getting a bouncy ball. Those things go FOREVER!

Your right and I do. The nike is long if you have the appropriate swing speed but it is short if you have average swing speed.

Read the article in one of the two golfing mags last year on golf ball review. The pro v1 and v1x were not the longest by any means and both were in the bottom third in distance of other top sellers. Most were within 5 to 10 yards of each other on average for driving distance. My miss hits with the driver have more disparity. So I don't worry about all out distance with the balls. I would rather find a ball I like around the green and for putting. Wedge spin is becoming a problem for me and have to look for a ball that doesn't spin so much or maybe learn to hit a dead handed wedge. I just don't have enough time to hone the wedge game so I look for a ball the works with my average knockdown wedge shot with a hop and a couple yards of back spin.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul

Yea they are the same and I spin the sh.it out of the bridgestones too , I also shoot for the top of the flag on all approaches. But have you tried the new maxfli c3 , Its a great ball that resembles the bridgestone RX and has crazy distance off the tee. The only reason I use v1x is because I got like 12 dozen for like 285 bucks ...what a steal. The RX is a good ball though . If theres one thing I practice before anything else its me wedge game cuz if that falls apart then how can you scramble from shi.tty tee shots.The days im crooked off the box are the days im dialed in with me wedges.

My longest Golf ball

In this weather in the UK I'm trying different balls, everything from Pinnacle, Top Flite etc, but I still find my CAllaway iX balls going really well!
    Andy Roberts
    www.longestgolfballreview.com

Thread Information