|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

BLADES - why do pro's REALLY use them???

Golfers, and Pros alike, seem to be looking for the same thing :

The latest Driver that is more forgiving and goes 10 yards further than their previous Driver
    (and)
    The latest Golf Ball that goes 10 yards further than their Previous Golf Ball.

This makes complete sense - you want your game to get better and have the edge over your playing partner, or in the case of the pro who plays the game for a living, an advantage over the whole field.

Using this common sense, and logic, you would then expect to do the same with his irons - find a set that has a bigger sweetspot, is more forgiving and goes further.

Agree...?....Yes...?

Why then, do pros do the exact opposite with the irons?

They put in their bag a set of BLADES, which have sweetspot the size of one golfball dimple, are less (or not) forgiving and go 10 yards shorter than virtually any other type of iron

(And dont say becasue they can work the ball - because they could use something like a Titleist 735cm or Callaway XTour iron - which would still allow them to work the ball, BUT WOULD ALSO have a bigger sweetspot, be more forgiving and go much further).

Why, or why do they do it???
    (To me - they are just shooting themselves in the foot - and making golf harder - not easier)

I play them for the simple reason there is minimal offset in the club head. When I address a ball, its much easier for me to line up a square target line.

They require a much more precise stroke to hit cleanly, but when your swing provides that type of consistency, its the only club you'll ever hit again, they feel different, better.

They do NOT fly any less farther or further. I can hit the same distance with a cavity back or a bade. But I can work a blade, I cannot work a cavity back from the built in offset. I can hit a cut shot but I cannot draw a ball. Being a lefty, I rarely ever need to draw a ball. Distance control on a cut shot is more precise.

They are much more expensive also, they look better and more importantly, chicks dig guys that hit them. Hahahaaaa !

i think all the pro's clubs are pretty much not what we buy in the shops anyway. i'm sure if tiger wanted a set of irons that had minimal offset and weren't blades then nike would produce him some - same goes for many of the golfers on tour.
    ever thought it's so they can sell more clubs? they have different categories of clubs, beginners, intermediate etc. you can only go so far with the cavity back club so they make a blade set and thus can sell more clubs. as you get better you get more workable clubs e.g. blades. they look nicer too. it's all business.
    [CENTER][B][COLOR="Red"]11[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

Actually, a lot of PGA pros, Champion's Tour pros, and certainly LPGA pros play cavity backs. I guess they all end up with their own comfort level, and many prefer cavity backs or muscle cavities.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Not all pro's play small headed blades !! Look at Rory Sabbatini's irons !! They are hockey sticks !!
    KZG Gemini 460 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]KZG Cobalt 4 & 7 Wood[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]KZG Forged Evolution 4-7
    KZG Forged ZO 8-SW[COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Nomad WRX GTO Hogan 62 K[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Tom Slighter "Kirkland" [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Bridgestone E-5 [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]Bennington Cart Bag [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by kcaperth
    They put in their bag a set of BLADES, which have sweetspot the size of one golfball dimple, are less (or not) forgiving and go 10 yards shorter than virtually any other type of iron
    It is not true to say they go shorter than virtually any other type of iron. In fact the opposite is true. If you compare loft to loft and length to length , well hit blade shot will go atleast 1 - 2 clubs longer, if not more. One of the reasons for it is quite simple, blades typically start at a swing weight of D3 or higher and hence have more momentum. Pro's generally play High D's or in the E range. Also even though the sweet spot is smaller, it is more dense. Ofcourse higher swing speed helps.

You should take a look at some of Pro golfers or college golfers mid and short irons and notice how the wear pattern matches the sweet spot and how heavy the club weighs. I was amazed at how they can swing such a heavy club so consistently with such club head speed. My take is if you have that type of consistency, play what you like.

Would you want to have to hit a baby draw 200 yards to a tight left pin location, needing to get a par to secure your card (read job) for next year with a brick on a stick or something that you know will do the job if you do yours? That, in a nutshell, is why pros use blades. I use them because I like the look at address and for the control in the short irons
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

They play them because they, more times than not, don't need forgiveness. They want feel, control and precision. They don't need help gettng the ball "up". They don't generally like bounce or fat bottoms (they get thoroughbreds). They want direct feedback when things o wrong with their swing. There are a lot more reasons, it's rather obvious that for most they have made the right choice.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

duffers play them because
    A: curious
    or
    B: egomanics
    or
    C: both
    or
    D: instructional
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Norman endorsed Cobra but only used the driver... I've heard some players play certain cavity backs and would REALLY like the company they endorse to put together blades. Face it... pro's love forged clubs, the understand there is a bit of lost yardage, but apparently the feel is what sets them apart.

In my miserable game I can't distinguish the difference of feel... but my mishits are far fewer with larger headed cavity backed clubs and I'm knocking them where I'm aiming so I'm not complaining. I've had 3 sets of forged over the years and am about ready to go into a set of Adams hybrid os irons... it's time, but not quite yet.
    Bertha 2004 Titanium
    Tight lies, 3, 5+, 7+
    Tommy Armour 845s 3-SW

Adams Golf GT2 Undercut 60 degree lob
    (...the jury is still out on the lob)

60's Acushnet Bullseye (workhorse)

Odessey Rossi II putter that only works on Billiard table greens

Golf is a game where the ball lies poorly, and the players well. --anon.

what lost yardage?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Babarosa
    Norman endorsed Cobra but only used the driver... I've heard some players play certain cavity backs and would REALLY like the company they endorse to put together blades. Face it... pro's love forged clubs, the understand there is a bit of lost yardage, but apparently the feel is what sets them apart.

In my miserable game I can't distinguish the difference of feel... but my mishits are far fewer with larger headed cavity backed clubs and I'm knocking them where I'm aiming so I'm not complaining. I've had 3 sets of forged over the years and am about ready to go into a set of Adams hybrid os irons... it's time, but not quite yet.
    why would a forged blade lose yardage vs. CB...would not, may actually increase yardage, given the same loft, lie, & shaft.

Pinhi Guest

blade = distance

The average golfer might not be able to hit his blades as far as the CB but this is due to his inablility to consistently hit the sweet spot due to the smaller size of the sweetspot. The pro or low-handicap player does not have this problem.

Well said, JB. Well...freakin' said.

To add -- pros can play anything they want. Lumpy won the Memorial with Ping Eye2s...eBay prices on the irons went up.

Adams is a phenomenal company. As soon as Adams "new" irons/clubs win without the "Seniors Tour" visibility?

Pros can play anything they want. Go to a mini-tour event sometime and see what they got in the bag -- without getting payed for playing it.

I'm not sure why that is (loss of distance with forged), maybe it's related to mass. But I have read that on more than one occasion. Whatever the loss, it is probably not significant (i.e. yards and yards)... I'll have to dig it up from the net and see.
    Bertha 2004 Titanium
    Tight lies, 3, 5+, 7+
    Tommy Armour 845s 3-SW

Many pros use cavity backs,but those that cling to blades will have four main reasons;

1) more sidespin,so they can shape the ball better,and stop it quicker (subjective)
    2) little or no offset,and they prefer a fade
    3)to hit the ball lower
    4) they just like them

Generally speaking blade type clubs come with stiffer shafts for increased accuracy, most low handicap players play the stiffest shaft they can handle, so if the average 15 handicapper grabs his lower handicap playing partners blade type 7 iron for a hit, he usually WONT be able to hit it as far as his cavity backed, lighter, more flexible shaft, which will always translate to higher swing speeds.

Ball distance is a direct result of clubhead speed. It takes time to be able to turn on the power at the exact spot in the sequence of the swing to maintain balance and plane and control. When you achieve this on a regular basis, you will want to swing a stiffer shaft for increased accuracy. Ball distance is not as important as accuracy in the iron shots. If you need more distance simply club down and put the SAME swing on a longer shafted, less lofted club to gain additional yardage. Trying to hit your 7 iron 20 yards farther is a common mistake by duffers. Why not just hit your 6 iron ? If you want to hit a higher or lower ball, simply move it forward or backward in your stance a little. It takes precision and repeatability to do this. Once you attain this repeatability, the world is your oyster and you will get into single digit handicap status, after that, its short game improvement and the more importantly, the crucial art of putting. I have many friends and students that play from T to green like a pro, but they cannot putt. Its a mental block for them, when they break through that, they will be very low in their index. Some never do.

If your a young gun and you have the physical ability to remain accurate and swing harder, go for it, but if your working on accuracy and are over 30 yrs. old, use one of the other 14 clubs in your bag. Learn to shape the shot, not shape the swing. Swing remains constant......

I have MP-32's which aren't exactly blades per se, but are forged, small head, minimal offset. I bought 3-5 iron MX-23's earlier this year and they lasted about 3 months in the bag. I honestly hit the MP-32 long irons better more consistently.
    I have no idea what this means, but I think the cavity and low CG characteristics in many game improvement clubs produce worse results in my case.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I play regularly with a younger guy (33 yrs old) who hits the ball so damned far its amazing, his swing speed is astronomical. He has the touring pro distance, but the accuracy of a 20 handicapper. He has never beaten me, I have never bought HIM a drink !
    I marvel at his ability to do what he does, he has only broken 80 3 times in his young life.

He tells me he think Blades are for show only, he plays premium class cavity backs. I play blades. (690MB)

The contest isnt to see how far somebody can hit their 8 iron, its to see how accurately somebody can hit the ball from right where it is, to the pin for a short putt. He hasnt figured this out yet. There are still some longer irons in his bag he has still never hit.

Typical Scneario: Par 4- 440 yards- tough pin location on a sloped green. Pin on higher corner of green.

Me: Driver-260 yards, right side of fairway, short grass (pin on left side of green)

Him: Driver-305 yards, left side of fairway in the first cut of rough.Sounds like a gun went off when he hit.

Me: Smooth 5 Iron, to correct side of green, uphill putt. Dont dare go for it.

Him: 56 degree wedge, goes for the pin, misses green by 3 feet, now he's short sided with a treacherous downhill bump and run from rough.......

Me: Putt to 1-1/2 feet short from cup, STILL under the hole, uphill short straight putt for par

Him: Chip shot, caught in rough, chunks the ball, next chip is more critical, hits it thin, goes 50 feet to back of a green with at least 3 breaks that I can seet. 3 putts for a 7 ....

Me: I can taste the margarita already.

Him: Sounds like a sailor with previously unheard of new combinations of swear words

Me: Snicker to myself, get mind ready for same type of drive

Him: Veins throbbing from frustration, forearms bulging, tee's it up high swings from the heels to make up ground......ball goes into tree's.

Me: Wondering If I can call my wife to drive me home tonight as I wouldnt want to drive after consuming all of those free Margarita's

MORAL OF THIS STORY ?

Physical Restraint is just as important in the swing as it is in course management. Some you can go for, others not. Long distance does not always mean a lower score.
    Last edited by Da Blade; 09-15-2006 at 09:51 AM.

Its not the forging,mostly,its the lofts.many cavity backs have 'flattering' lofts,as much as 3 degrees.It will work out as a club,so its probable as an example a Hogan blade player will gain 10 yards with an Xtour.Then there is the spin,blades will impart more spin than a perimter weighted club,usually,as much as 2000 rpms.Add these 2 together,and you lose as much as a club and a half.

I'm not sure why that is (loss of distance with forged), maybe it's related to mass. But I have read that on more than one occasion. Whatever the loss, it is probably not significant (i.e. yards and yards)... I'll have to dig it up from the net and see.

Its not the forging,mostly,its the lofts.many cavity backs have 'flattering' lofts,as much as 3 degrees.It will work out as a club,so its probable as an example a Hogan blade player will gain 10 yards with an Xtour.Then there is the spin,blades will impart more spin than a perimter weighted club,usually,as much as 2000 rpms.Add these 2 together,and you lose as much as a club and a half.

no, no, no.....the reason tiger and I play blades, er sorta, is simple. We be bangin dem thangs 350 off the teezy for sheezy....but we dont alwayzz bezza hitzzin da short grass. You want to swing a shovel through us open rough....me personally my little blade be cuttin through that carpet stuff like its budda.......naw mean dawg.

big pimpin........

One simple reason: consistency of distance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Blade
    Me: Putt to 1-1/2 feet short from cup, STILL under the hole, uphill short straight putt for par
    You don't deserve a drink for leaving an uphill putt a foot and a half short. In my world of golf (the only world that matters btw) you'd be called a ***** for leaving a birdie putt short, especially when your dumb ass opponent already played himself outta the hole.

You shouldn't be drinking margaritas but Pink Flamingo or an Orgasm instead! If you ever have to break out your "man purse" to buy that youngen a round I'm sure you'll only have to pony up for a Stout or maybe a Whisky.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

In my case I've played blades in my life, played Callaway X-Tours for a couple months last summer and then went back to my Cleveland CG7 Tours. Why? They actually have less offset in the 5-PW than any blade I've found, have a small compact head, feel almost the same as a forged blade (I'll agree, not AS great but very close) and I love the way they swing. They feel like they are weighted perfectly and the ball goes EXACTLY where I'm lined up at...not always at the pin. They're paired with a DG X-100 shaft and feel marvelous. My X-Tours had the Project X Rifles and, for whatever reason, I'd swing them too quick...they felt lighter to me and it hurt my tempo and accuracy. Why did I quit hitting blades before either of my sets now??? No real reason, just wanted to try something different. I still keep my handicap < 2 (every once in a while on the + side) so I see no reason to change back. MANY Tour pros use CB's or some form of them. But, the CB's they use (in most cases) have the same specs as a similar blade iron as far as loft, head size, etc. The X-Tours and CG7 Tours are good examples of CB's many Tour pros play or have played. And, if you count the players who play Ping blades (S59's) those are no more a blade than any cavity back with a similar head size. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen
    no, no, no.....the reason tiger and I play blades, er sorta, is simple. We be bangin dem thangs 350 off the teezy for sheezy....but we dont alwayzz bezza hitzzin da short grass. You want to swing a shovel through us open rough....me personally my little blade be cuttin through that carpet stuff like its budda.......naw mean dawg.

big pimpin........
    Yo' bubba.... but according to the tabloids... Tiger be hittin' the short grass...if'n you knows what I'm talkin' 'bout cornbread ; \
    Bertha 2004 Titanium
    Tight lies, 3, 5+, 7+
    Tommy Armour 845s 3-SW

Yo' bubba.... but according to the tabloids... Tiger be hittin' the short grass...if'n you knows what I'm talkin' 'bout cornbread ; \

WHAT are you f u kin crazy G....yo peep this game fool

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...t2=1&select3=7

154 outta 198 for a steller 59.20 % aint big pimpin...can you dig it.....you just a jive turkey.....

G-G-G-G-G-UNIT.....

stats on stats thats fuccin ross....

holla atcha boy

no yoz shiatz before comins at da alpha male...homeboy

Tiger be raping in GIR ...baby...that be da sound that a tiger make when he chews your azz up.....peep this young blood...

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...3201&select=99

.....thats why hes da boss on TOUR.... understand now little G.....

BIG TYMER

Quote Originally Posted by Omen
    WHAT are you f u kin crazy G....yo peep this game fool

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...t2=1&select3=7

154 outta 198 for a steller 59.20 % aint big pimpin...can you dig it.....you just a jive turkey.....

G-G-G-G-G-UNIT.....

stats on stats thats fuccin ross....

holla atcha boy

no yoz shiatz before comins at da alpha male...homeboy

Tiger be raping in GIR ...baby...that be da sound that a tiger make when he chews your azz up.....peep this young blood...

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...3201&select=99

.....thats why hes da boss on TOUR.... understand now little G.....

BIG TYMER
    But ain't u hear gangsta? elin be showin off her goodies in dem ragpapers ova here dawg. Now dats what I'm talkin bout.
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

gansta's are too self centered and undiciplined to play golf. maybe they'd can pump iron, but not swing 'em on a course

Quote Originally Posted by emc
    But ain't u hear gangsta? elin be showin off her goodies in dem ragpapers ova here dawg. Now dats what I'm talkin bout.
    why i care what Elin be doin....thats atween her and her peeps...got nada to do wit me....she aint my type anyway......i like a hood rat.....someone whod be down to ride wit me and put in work, move a little weight if you feel me....why i need some HMB fo?

just in case da crackas be needin to knows HMB = high maintenance biotch.

yo you aint said nothin....you aint said nothin

every thug know: aint no fun if the homies cant have none.

Come see about me
    Last edited by Omen; 09-22-2006 at 03:38 AM.

It's all about feel to any "golfer". To a hacker it's all about distance and what others are playing. To a "golfer" if a club, ball, glove, shoes, whatever feel better then they'll logically and happily give up 10 yards for better feel because a "golfer", unlike a hacker, depends on feel for a good score. A hacker has no feel so they depend on the "wowlookhowfarIhitthatsucker" comments to boost their ego because they likely will never shoot a score worth bragging about.

So when you hear people blah, blah, blahing about shaft, launch angle, club head speed, balls etc. and never hear their score you can almost guarantee they're really are clueless about how to play. The word "poseur" comes to mind. Yet their are "golfers" that have high handicaps, but they play golf. They don't just toss around all the latest techno babble to impress others. When you play golf because it's in your blood score matters, not what clubs you have or the ball you use.

Dont forget about rough depth too.....U.S.Open graduated rough program be denying callaway shovels....small clubhead = better chances from the thick stuff

Thread Information