|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Hand, arm & shoulder tension...

it'll kill a good swing quicker than a trolls negative vehemence will kill a good post. But how do you tell when you have just the right amount of tension in those areas? Since they're all connected Mr. Snead likened it to the amount of pressure you'd exert were you holding a bird in your hands (and not trying to kill it ;-). It is that and more to me. It's also that point at which the clubhead will release during follow through without any conscious physical input from me. This tension is something that can creep into a good swing at the worst moment and can cause so many bad swing motions to occur that it can take months to straighten them all out. It's usually the tension that gets attention last when it should be first.

Now if someone will just figure out a way to measure the best tension for each of us to go along with launch angle, shaft flex, etc, etc, etc.

sorry fred, i tried to help out but the ironfist deleted it...
    [CENTER][B][COLOR="Red"]11[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

This is a problem of mine. Understandable when I saw that a launch monitor said my tempo was 0.8 seconds. Last Saturday, however, I tried a tip that I read recently. Before my tee shots and other situations, I sometimes held the club out directly in front of me with the head at waist height. When you grip the club too tight, it does not really feel heavy. As you relax the grip, the clubhead feels heavier. I began to notice when I was tense this way, and was able to waggle, etc. to loosen up my grip, wrists, forearms. A nasty pull-slice that I had developed with the driver only almost disappeared as I was able to release more easily...and feel it.

that is an interesting and possibly very useful observation. a very simple way to get instant feedback on the muscle tone of the upper limbs, which may reflect the condition of the entire body, both physical and mental.

in fact, it makes sense anatomically.

the flexors and the extensors of the forearms work as a coupling mechanism, that is, when the flexors are in use, the extensors usually relax. and vice versa.

to "dangle" the club in front of you engages more the extensors of the forearms, thus the flexors are more relexed. in my opinion, more relaxed forearm flexors is essential for good tempo-ed full backswing (relaxed muscles are more stretchable) more importantly, during cross over, which plays a big role in speed, direction and contact.

the more relaxed the forearm flexors, the easier or the more natural the cross over occurs "on time". it becomes more fluid and the golfer becomes less aware of it. the moment you are aware of it, muscles tense up...going back to the original programming in our genes----we see a sabre and we tense up to fight or flight.

i think this preshot routing may help some people to "decondition" for a more relaxed body coil and more fluid impact with the ball.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... SNORK! Rizzelzinxpazzerzizzer... Zzzzzzzzzz.....
    Bertha 2004 Titanium
    Tight lies, 3, 5+, 7+
    Tommy Armour 845s 3-SW

Adams Golf GT2 Undercut 60 degree lob
    (...the jury is still out on the lob)

60's Acushnet Bullseye (workhorse)

Odessey Rossi II putter that only works on Billiard table greens

Golf is a game where the ball lies poorly, and the players well. --anon.

But of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Babarosa
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... SNORK! Rizzelzinxpazzerzizzer... Zzzzzzzzzz.....
    Being "Resource Manager for a large company. My region encompasses 40 states." I'm sure most mundane stuff must bore the crap outta ya. Then again you are a 12 hndcp with his sights set on scratch. Best of luck.

Excellent post and topic Fred. Tension in any form will ruin a golf swing. Even mental tension.

I accept the fact that nerves play a part in every swing. So I accept that tension will occur. So what I do is take all the tension I feel in my body and concentrate on putting it somewhere. I make an effort to tense the muscles in my upper thighs, buttocks, and calves. This gives me a very solid foundation to swing around and allows me to relax the muscles I need (hands, forearms, shoulders) so I can make my best swing.

The ass clench lives, and it works.

Great thread Fred.

If you want to feel what the club should feel like at release, take a three finger overlap grip (only your right forefinger on the shaft instead of the normal three fingers)and make a few practice swings.
    Totally relax everything and let the arms, hands and club do what they want to during the down swing. The lack of right-hand on the shaft totally changes the feel of the swing (to what it should feel like with your normal grip)...

Thread Information