|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

winter wear for golf

any new development in thinner material for warmth for golf play in winter? any particular brand you use that you would recommend? thanks!

I usually just wear 1 undershirt then a long sleeve polo then a short sleeve. That usually keeps me warm when its above 45 degrees.
    University of Michigan 08
    GO BLUE

Nike and Adidas both make materials for exactly this pursuit, both are excellent IMO. Golf in winter, woohoo.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Layer

I don't know where you live,but I'm on the west coast of Canada (Vancouver) where it's possible to golf 12 months a year.Wet,soggy ground and usally mild temperatures are the norm.(Lots of rain!)For my feet I use my oldest golf shoes which have stretched so I can wear thick socks.Once your golf shoes develop any kind of leak get rid of them.The last thing you want is cold wet feet.I also have rubber boots for the real wet days or courses with poor drainage.For legs I use my cycling pants, thin tight fitting that allow for easy movement.Sweat pants are too baggy.Over that wear rain pants.I use suspenders to keep the rain pants up.On top I wear a tee shirt,then a long sleeve cotton/polyester mock turtle neck.Over that a zipperless golf jacket.That is good for most days.The other thing to remember is your head.A polyester touqe(?) is best.Gotex rainsuits are best,but I find the cheaper ones work for 80% of the rain here.I would't be too concerned with brands,any thing with Ping,Titleist etc. tend to be overpriced.

thank you all for above replies. very helpful. will look into them. regards

I stick with the classic cotton shirt with long sleeves and a nice wool sweater. Lined wind breaker pants are a bonus too. Wool socks are nice but hard to get into your golf shoes.

how do you guys manage with hand protection? regular golf gloves, or additional layer? my experinece has been when the hands are cold, the feel is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by chubdo
    how do you guys manage with hand protection? regular golf gloves, or additional layer? my experinece has been when the hands are cold, the feel is gone.
    If it's that cold it's time to play hockey, not golf.
    It's not the Arrow, It's the Indian

I live in Ireland and even manage to play golf in October and November. Recently I purchased a set of Sunderland GT Pro waterproofs. Loads of great features, half zip top/jacket with zip off sleeves and great bottoms with a porper belt. All the pockets are fleece lined, which is a nice touch. Material is lovely and light but really warm, would highly recommend this suit to anyone without any hesitation. Sunderland is manufactured in Scotland by the way, which is even wetter than Ireland so they should know what they're doing.

As for the feet, cotton socks and Footjoy Dryjoy Pros, keep feet dry and warm no matter what the weather does.

Noley.

I've found that the packaged hand warmer packets where, when exposed to oxygen, the reaction makes the packets hot work GREAT to solve this problem. I put one in each jacket pocket and keep my hands on 'em until ready to hit the shot. Hands never get cold where the feeling is gone. I've tried all kinds of winter gloves, mittens, etc. and they don't hold a candle to the hand warmers. They've changed my cold weather golf experiences.

Under Armour

any new development in thinner material for warmth for golf play in winter? any particular brand you use that you would recommend? thanks!
    Under Armour makes excellent products. Try the all season gear long sleave mock for temps down to about 40-45 or the cold gear long sleave for temps below that.

I use the all season gear and wear a golf shirt over top and a goretex pullover. The layering effect is good when temps are colder early and late in the day.

thank you, will check it out. do you find the material used significantly insulate better?

Sweaters, wool socks, and hand warmer packets work for me. I keep the hand warmer packets in my pockets, and use them to keep my golf balls warm between holes.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Why are you in such a rush to hit the ball? It's not going anywhere." --My teacher, when I am too fast in my downswing.

"Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs. You know it's wrong but you can't keep away from her." --Val Doonican

"The first time I played the Masters, I was so nervous I drank a bottle of rum before I teed off. I shot the happiest 83 of my life." --Chi Chi Rodriguez[/FONT]

Marmot Precip Jacket or Pataonnia Stash Jecket (water res, ventilated, stretch) or Patagonia Spraymaster Jacket.
    Patagonia merino wool long sleeve undershirt.
    merino wood socks.
    nylon hiking pants or wool slacks or Patagonia White Smoke Pants.
    wool outback hat.

there's anew gore-tex jacket from Desente
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Thread Information