|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

"The Onion" takes on Ms. Wie

Seldom right, never in doubt......

sarcastic cocky bastards..I like em
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    sarcastic cocky bastards..I like em
    The best satirical outfit around at this time, IMHO.

Their articles are often ironic, sarcastic, iconoclastic, "much ado about nothing", and/or sometimes just plain tasteless, but almost always very funny.

Extremely true!
    My set:
    Titleist 905T w/ Grafalloy Blue S
    TaylorMade R7 Steel 15*
    Skymax Ice Resolve hybrid 19*
    Mizuno MP-32 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey Raw 50* & 60*
    TaylorMade RAC TP 56*
    Bettinardi BHB1.C
    TaylorMade TP Red
    GUI Handicap: [B]6.0[/B]
    USGA Handicap: [B]1.9[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by alyssagolf
    maneuver
    I presume that's an American word?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by garcia is god
    I presume that's an American word?
    Yes, sir.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/maneuver
    I'm afraid it's like colour vs. color, center vs. centre, or countless other examples of how we, the barbarian Yanks, have corrupted the King's English. Disgraceful, really.......
    Last edited by dorkman53; 12-02-2006 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alyssagolf
    ... Get a basic education in English writing.
    That should read, "Get a basic education in written English," or, "Get a basic education of the written English language."

Butt knot wot ewe rote........

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Yes, sir.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/maneuver
    I'm afraid it's like colour vs. color, center vs. centre, or countless other examples of how we, the barbarian Yanks, have corrupted the King's English. Disgraceful, really.......
    Hmm.. that's a shame. The English spelling; "manoeuvre" derives straight from the French word & is very easy to remember.

This Americanism is ungainly & simply looks awkward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

By the way, why is this in Non-Golf?

Quote Originally Posted by garcia is god
    Hmm.. that's a shame. The English spelling; "manoeuvre" derives straight from the French word & is very easy to remember.

This Americanism is ungainly & simply looks awkward.
    It's enough to make me want to bash the tyres of my motorcar against the kerb........

It's enough to make me want to bash the tyres of my motorcar against the kerb........

I'm obviousley the best at everything regarding grammer and spelling on ths board.

yalsis needs ta fack of.

Tucan comes in second place.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    I'm obviousley the best at everything regarding grammer and spelling on ths board.

yalsis needs ta fack of.

Tucan comes in second place.
    No.....I'm more betterer.....

And yet again dorkman posts an article on Michelle Wie.

Marvellous!
    [CENTER][B][COLOR="Red"]11[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by theidioticbizarre
    And yet again dorkman posts an article on Michelle Wie.

Marvellous!
    I saw it in "The Onion". I thought it was funny. I posted it here, where there is a definite paucity of humorous posts, IMHO. If it had been a satirical article about Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson, I probably would have posted that, too. But that would have deprived you of the possibility of a much needed attack. And a good day to you, too, sir.

I debated not posting the link, because I thought someone might accuse me of stirring the Michelle Wie pot. But then I figured I really didn't care if one of the "usual suspects" decided to troll or flame. If I spent one microsecond a day worrying about what TIB, Spank, or a few others were going to think or say, it would be one microsecond too many.
    Last edited by dorkman53; 12-03-2006 at 01:47 PM.

I saw it in "The Onion". I thought it was funny. I posted it here, where there is a definite paucity of humorous posts, IMHO. If it had been a satirical article about Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson, I probably would have posted that, too. But that would have deprived you of the possibility of a much needed attack. And a good day to you, too, sir.

I debated not posting the link, because I thought someone might accuse me of stirring the Michelle Wie pot. But then I figured I really didn't care if one of the "usual suspects" decided to troll or flame. If I spent one microsecond a day worrying about what TIB, Spank, or a few others were going to think or say, it would be one microsecond too many.
    1 microsecond worrying and then 300million microseconds typing to tell us about it (that's 5 minutes BTW)

Dork, why don't you try typing a run on sentence. It may just kill spanky.
    You can't handle the past.

Quote Originally Posted by twotime
    Dork, why don't you try typing a run on sentence. It may just kill spanky.
    I would if I could, but then I might be charged with criminal intent in the event of his untimely demise, which could result in my prosecution, possible incarceration, and an interruption of my normal activities, to the detriment of my nuclear, extended, and "GR Family", (note quote before comma), and this might lead to great suffering, pain, and the need to write a sentence with a participle left dangling and/or with a preposition that I would have to use to end it with.
    Last edited by dorkman53; 12-04-2006 at 03:01 PM.

I have to say, Spank was overhyped. He is neither clever, witty, nor particularly annoying.

Dissapointedly,

LC3

It is ironic that DM seems to be such a stickler in general, yet doesn't appear to know this basic rule of grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd_Christmas3
    It is ironic that DM seems to be such a stickler in general, yet doesn't appear to know this basic rule of grammar.
    Could you really not appreciate that I was deliberately attempting to write ungrammatically here? I thought I could give you more credit than that. Actually, I had forgotten the protocol about putting quotation marks outside of the commas. It's been quite a few years since I dealt with such issues. But when I wrote the most recent post, I figured that if I made a point of writing a run-on sentence, ending the sentence with a preposition, and deliberately pointing out the incorrect pronunciation, at least most of the readers would realize it was meant to be satirical. Read Twotime's post immediately before mine for the context. Sorry for overestimating you.

As for being a stickler with grammar and spelling, I usually only do that when there is irony involved. It is always amusing to me when someone corrects another's grammar while using incorrect grammar themself. That is funny to me, and I will call them on it. I got on TIB for using some incorrect grammar because he had been bragging about being such a high powered scholar and was to attend a school with a fine reputation. Then a few years ago there was that high schooler from Texas who was bragging about going to an Ivy League college, and he couldn't string together a coherent sentence or spell his way out of a paper bag. Again, IRONY. I also bugged Benguk and "teh Master" about their atrocious spelling a few years ago. The Master has matured and now writes quite well. There are LOTS of examples of misspellings and poor grammar on this board that I ignore, considering them not worth hassling. I only point out these issues when the person themself is claiming to be an expert, or is just annoying everybody in general like Benguk or The Master did at the time.

If Spank is so obsessed with me that he wishes to shadow every post I make, looking for something to criticize, that is his right and privilege. He apparently has nothing else to do with his miserable little life, so I guess I have broad enough shoulders to tolerate his obsession with my internet persona. I am taking a great deal of delight in simply ignoring his posts, because he is a compulsive attention seeker and this deprives him of the opportunity to fight. It's not much fun to troll when there is no response. It makes him look like such a fool when he makes trolling post after trolling post without achieving his goal of starting a fight. It's no fun to shadow box when there is nothing to punch.
    Last edited by dorkman53; 12-05-2006 at 12:12 AM.

Could you really not appreciate that I was deliberately attempting to write ungrammatically here? I thought I could give you more credit than that. Actually, I had forgotten the protocol about putting quotation marks outside of the commas. It's been quite a few years since I dealt with such issues. But when I wrote the most recent post, I figured that if I made a point of writing a run-on sentence, ending the sentence with a preposition, and deliberately pointing out the incorrect pronunciation, at least most of the readers would realize it was meant to be satirical. Read Twotime's post immediately before mine for the context. Sorry for overestimating you.

As for being a stickler with grammar and spelling, I usually only do that when there is irony involved. It is always amusing to me when someone corrects another's grammar while using incorrect grammar themself. That is funny to me, and I will call them on it. I got on TIB for using some incorrect grammar because he had been bragging about being such a high powered scholar and was to attend a school with a fine reputation. Then a few years ago there was that high schooler from Texas who was bragging about going to an Ivy League college, and he couldn't string together a coherent sentence or spell his way out of a paper bag. Again, IRONY. I also bugged Benguk and "teh Master" about their atrocious spelling a few years ago. The Master has matured and now writes quite well. There are LOTS of examples of misspellings and poor grammar on this board that I ignore, considering them not worth hassling. I only point out these issues when the person themself is claiming to be an expert, or is just annoying everybody in general like Benguk or The Master did at the time.

If Spank is so obsessed with me that he wishes to shadow every post I make, looking for something to criticize, that is his right and privilege. He apparently has nothing else to do with his miserable little life, so I guess I have broad enough shoulders to tolerate his obsession with my internet persona. I am taking a great deal of delight in simply ignoring his posts, because he is a compulsive attention seeker and this deprives him of the opportunity to fight. It's not much fun to troll when there is no response. It makes him look like such a fool when he makes trolling post after trolling post without achieving his goal of starting a fight. It's no fun to shadow box when there is nothing to punch.
    i'm sorry if i don't spend long on typing my posts and re-reading them. i don't have the time for capital letters and "perfect" sentences - aslong as my jottings make sense to the masses then i am happy.

NEXT...

Quote Originally Posted by theidioticbizarre
    i'm sorry if i don't spend long on typing my posts and re-reading them. i don't have the time for capital letters and "perfect" sentences - aslong as my jottings make sense to the masses then i am happy.

NEXT...
    Actually, I feel the same way. I was just yanking your chain a while back because you had been mentioning how high you had scored on some national test and were headed for Oxford. It came across as a bit arrogant and elitist, so I took the opportunity to needle you a bit. Like you, I don't ordinarily spend much time proofreading my posts. If I notice a glaring error, I'll correct it, but I believe that the language usage on this and most boards is conversational, not an English Composition project.
    Occasionally, someone will post something so poorly phrased that the meaning is completely ambiguous. I usually just go on to the next thread.

Actually, I feel the same way. I was just yanking your chain a while back because you had been mentioning how high you had scored on some national test and were headed for Oxford. It came across as a bit arrogant and elitist, so I took the opportunity to needle you a bit. Like you, I don't ordinarily spend much time proofreading my posts. If I notice a glaring error, I'll correct it, but I believe that the language usage on this and most boards is conversational, not an English Composition project.
    Occasionally, someone will post something so poorly phrased that the meaning is completely ambiguous. I usually just go on to the next thread.
    aaaah so now we agree on 2 things.

i posted my grades and said where i was going because:

a) some people were calling me thick.
    b) if i have proof i will post it.

NEXT...

Thread Information