|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Spyglass Hill membership?

Does such a thing exist? A friend of mine is taking me out there to play in a month and says he's a member. I don't remember the Pebble Beach courses offering memberships!

Correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm don't recall which courses are private vs. public, but there are both in the Carmel / 17 mile drive area. I looked into the possibility of playing on a recent trip to the Monterrey Peninsula, but ended up not taking my clubs on that rather brief trip. I know for a fact that Pebble Beach is "public", if you can call a course public with super high green fees and the requirement that you stay in their even more expensive lodge. My brother-in-law took his twin sons there for a golf weekend shortly before they both got married the same summer.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Cypress Point(?) is members only...

Most of the other courses around there (Pebble/Spyglass/Spanish) are public.

Not sure about Poppy Hills (though you can definitely play it).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cypress Point is definitely private. If this is the course your buddy is referring to, you're in for a treat. Very exclusive though, only around 250 members.

There is also another course along 17 mile drive that is also private, the name escapes me at the moment....Monterrey Golf club perhaps???

Spyglass, Pebble, Poppy, Spanish Bay are all public, daily fee courses....with Spyglass being the best of the bunch, IMHO. I used to play there a LONG time ago...when it was $44 to walk it.

Those were the days.
    Nike Ignite 460cc 9.5* Fuji Vista Tour 60 S
    Callaway BB 3w, 5w, 7w Uniflex
    Cleveland Halo 4i r300
    Mizuno MX-23 5-pw r300 Dynalite
    Cleveland 588rtg 54/10...60/05
    Ping Zing 2
    Golf Pride Decade grips
    Bridgestone e6

Thanks for the feedback!

My friend tells me he's a member at Spyglass and can get us on with discounted rates. Interesting. I understood it to be like Pasatiempo where it is a public course, but also has a membership.

In any case, it should be some fun golf!

It is certainly possible to be a "member" at a public course. He has probably paid a fee for a year or multiple years. Our local PGA course has 10 year memberships for $20,000 and different levels of one year memberships for a few thousand.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Cypress may be private but I've heard you can play it for $1,000.

Just because the public is allowed to play doesn't exclude the ability to join a club. Savannah Harbor, site of the Liberty Mutual Legends of Golf, has membership of around $30K but is still open to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NOVA
    I'm fairly certain you heard wrong, unless you count grabbing a member on the way into the clubhouse, stuffing a grand into his hand, and begging him to host you.....playing it for $1,000.
    Nike Ignite 460cc 9.5* Fuji Vista Tour 60 S
    Callaway BB 3w, 5w, 7w Uniflex
    Cleveland Halo 4i r300
    Mizuno MX-23 5-pw r300 Dynalite
    Cleveland 588rtg 54/10...60/05
    Ping Zing 2
    Golf Pride Decade grips
    Bridgestone e6

My buddy had this card for a while.

Your buddy is not a "member" of Spyglass, he's the holder of a "Duke" card which allows you to get a foursome out for discounted greens fees at Spyglass, Del Monte and maybe Spanish Bay (not Pebble). The card costs around $200 or $250 per year and discounts the Spyglass greens fee about $100 or so. I'm not sure if you get preferred tee times, probably.

Enjoy, Spyglass is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by thadeuce
    Just because the public is allowed to play doesn't exclude the ability to join a club. Savannah Harbor, site of the Liberty Mutual Legends of Golf, has membership of around $30K but is still open to the public.
    O RLY?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NOVA
    Welcome back Eric! Good to see you're still a &%*^tard!

Quote Originally Posted by FluidFeelLover
    My buddy had this card for a while.

Your buddy is not a "member" of Spyglass, he's the holder of a "Duke" card which allows you to get a foursome out for discounted greens fees at Spyglass, Del Monte and maybe Spanish Bay (not Pebble). The card costs around $200 or $250 per year and discounts the Spyglass greens fee about $100 or so. I'm not sure if you get preferred tee times, probably.

Enjoy, Spyglass is awesome.
    wot he said...

But just to add: Yes Spanish Bay is included in the deal. The tee times they get are the blocks that are released by the Pebble Beach Company owned lodges 2 weeks prior to the date. Pebble is not part of the deal but when an unexpected block of tee times do become available, they make them available to the Dukes members for the same $100 discounted fee. No guarantees though.

What's harsh about this membership is that the tee times you make are non recourse. Basically when you make the reservations, you just the well have paid for your green fees, because there are no cancellations and you are responsible for the the full price of the green fees for the number of players you reserved. I think there is some adjustment for inclement weather cancellations, but it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't.
    Use caution in opening the overhead bin. Items may have shifted during flight.

Spyglass memberships

Actually, none of you are correct. There are actually members of Spyglass and they do not pay any membership dues. Back in the late 1960's the owners of the land sold it to the developer and part of the deal was a block of tee times that the members now own. It's something like 9-11am during the week. There is a long waiting list to become a member. To move up the list, someone has to die because nobody leaves. (There are no dues so why would you?) To get on the list you have to be a member of some other country club and be sponsored by an existing member. An old boys club of sorts.

This block of times was to be for 50 years. There is about 8 or 10 years left and then this deal will end and this men's club will not have a home course anymore.

I know this because I work with a guy who is a member and he takes me down to Spyglass every year. He only has to pay the cart fee for guests. Its quite the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey
    Actually, none of you are correct. There are actually members of Spyglass and they do not pay any membership dues. Back in the late 1960's the owners of the land sold it to the developer and part of the deal was a block of tee times that the members now own. It's something like 9-11am during the week. There is a long waiting list to become a member. To move up the list, someone has to die because nobody leaves. (There are no dues so why would you?) To get on the list you have to be a member of some other country club and be sponsored by an existing member. An old boys club of sorts.

This block of times was to be for 50 years. There is about 8 or 10 years left and then this deal will end and this men's club will not have a home course anymore.

I know this because I work with a guy who is a member and he takes me down to Spyglass every year. He only has to pay the cart fee for guests. Its quite the deal.
    You're 1 year 9 months late.
    FEA

Sorry, just found this site yesterday.

Sorry, just found this site yesterday.
    It was a joke. Welcome.
    FEA

hmm thats pretty cool i had never heard that before... really interesting... any idea where the club will move to???

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    hmm thats pretty cool i had never heard that before... really interesting... any idea where the club will move to???

Don't know yet. I'm playing there with him in about 2 weeks. I'll ask him what the latest talk has been, if any.

Thread Information