|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Driver Shaft length?

Aloha all,
    I just scored a Ping G10 for pretty cheap, I am in the process of fixing my slice and doing pretty well. I had been demo'ing some other drivers with stiff flex shafts until I found out my swing speed is about in the high 80's....The regular flex has worked wonders for my driving abilities. I couldn't hit the driver to save my life for a long time (Tee'd it up with my 3 iron more often than not) due to a couple of things that I now realize...1st some bad advice about my grip was holding me back and 2nd the WRONG shaft for my swing speed. I urge any of you out there who THINK they swing fast like I did....go have it analyzed for real and if it's below the low 90's get a regular flex instead of stiff and I guarantee you will hit straighter drives.

My question is about shaft length though...on my stock Ping shaft it says TFC 129D regular. I am 6'3" but have very long arms. How do I measure the length of this shaft or is it pretty standard on the stock shaft, and how do I measure myself in regards to shaft length? Would a change be effective? I tend to hit the ball near the hosel no matter how far away from the ball I stand (which I know is my problem not the club's), but would a shorter shaft help with that? Just so you know, this driver is so good that a mis hit on the heel sounds, feels, and flies just like you hit it on the sweet spot....

Oh and since I'm new here I have to add this....got a set of brand new Ben Hogan Apex Edge forged irons given to me for free and they are the best thing that has happened to me since my kids were born...these clubs are the best irons on the planet (not just because they were free). If you get a chance to try these irons you will be blown away at their awesomeness in all aspects, feel, looks, everything....
    Mahalo!

There's nothing like too stiff of a shaft on a driver to get a short, low, slice miss. You figured it out, and are on the right track.
    The most common errors in driver specs are too stiff a shaft, and too low of a loft.

Nobody on this board is going to be able to give you useful advice about shaft length, though some may try. It's a matter of a dynamic fitting, hopefully in the hands of an honest clubmaker who isn't out to take advantage of you. Doing small adjustments on the lie angles would be cheap, quick, and easy. Adding shaft extensions or reshafting is more involved and expensive.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thanks

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to try choking up on my driver next time I hit it, see how that works...

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    There's nothing like too stiff of a shaft on a driver to get a short, low, slice miss. You figured it out, and are on the right track.
    The most common errors in driver specs are too stiff a shaft, and too low of a loft.

Nobody on this board is going to be able to give you useful advice about shaft length, though some may try. It's a matter of a dynamic fitting, hopefully in the hands of an honest clubmaker who isn't out to take advantage of you. Doing small adjustments on the lie angles would be cheap, quick, and easy. Adding shaft extensions or reshafting is more involved and expensive.
    Gotta agree with Dorkman. I've been through several drivers trial and error style and can't help but think I would've saved a $hitload of money doing it right the first time.

Dynamic fitting is the key. Especially for the forged irons of yours. I have done that process twice (different iron sets) and I will tell you this: if you like your forged irons now, wait until you see how they feel when you adjusted them to hit in the middle.
    Clearly the rules don't apply in this situation.

I got the impression (on TV) that ALL LPGA Asian players have long shaft drivers, is that true???

Dorkman is right, especially about driver loft. I think loft is as important as shaft flex. I swing in the low hundreds with a driver which some would say is in between reg and stiff, but I have no problems with my Pershing 75 stiff, which is probably rated stiffer than most other models in S. But I have 10.5 loft which gives me a nice straight, high penetrating ball flight. I've had softer shafts in 9.5 drivers and had more trouble with low slices than with the current set up. A shaft too stiff might affect distance and may result in some pushes to the right, but IMO too little loft will affect ball flight and accuracy more.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 09-20-2009 at 02:28 PM.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information