|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Cool Effect of Driver Shaft Length on Distance

I have a 2006 Ti460 Cleveland Launcher, with the standard Cleveland Sliver A-flex shaft, and the club's length is 45". I'm a very consistent and straight hitter but can use all the help I can get on distance since my typical drive is about 210 yards. I am thinking of reshafting this driver with a UST Low Carb A-flex shaft - which I was very pleased with in my previous driver - a Cobra SS350. Then I got to wondering how much distance I could gain if I also increased the length of this new shaft by 1".

To eliminate the differences in shaft makes, models and flexes, let's say I am reshafting a driver with the identical shaft but 1" longer - increasing club length from 45" to 46". (This translates to a 2.2% increase in club length.) I know that I will have a flatter swing plane with the increased length, however, assuming all other aspects of the way I swing the club are the same, how much farther can I expect my current 210 yard drives to go?
    Don't pee on my back and tell me it's raining.

Equipment in my Ping Discover bag:
    Driver: 2006 Cleveland Launcher - 11.5* with Low Carb shaft
    4-Wd: 2004 Callaway BB SS - 17* with IRod
    7-Wd: 2004 Callaway BB SS - 21* with Proforce V2 65
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler - 23* with Aldila NV HY
    5 Iron - PW: Ping G5's - CS Lite steel
    Wedges: Cleveland 900 chrome 50*, 54* & 60*
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball with 34" shaft
    Golf Balls: E5's, NXT's, Noodles, So/Lo's & Laddies

The amount of distance one gains with shaft length is so minimal (about 2 yards per inch at 100mph) its barely worth including in the descision making process.

Many people would actually hit longer drives with shorter drivers as they would get better center club face contanct.

Read some of Tom Wishon's work on driver length vs distance and accuracy, it is very insightful.

As for your lack of distance, you must work on increasing your swing speed. Swing speed = distance, plain and simple.

In the mean time, what is your swing speed? Tempo (fast, slow, medium)? Most common ball flight (high, low, hook, slice)? Once I see that, I can then begin to recommend a shaft and driver loft for you.

Shaft Length.........

I went the other way; that is, I cut the shaft on my driver down an inch, 44 inches from 45 inches, and actually hit the ball farther. The difference is not that great, as LyleG already has suggested, but I find that with the shorter shaft I'm getting more control and hitting the ball more on the sweet spot than before. Just another thing to consider.
    (IMO, unelss you practice a lot, play a lot, and have a very consistent swing, a longer shaft will not help you much....you'll just wind up hitting the ball on the toe or heel more often.)
    Driver: TM R7 460 w/Aldila NV65
    Callaway X 3 and 5 woods
    Callaway X 4 Hybrid
    RAC LT 5-PW
    RAC Gap, Sand, & Lob wedges
    Odessey White Hot Mallet putter
    Calloway HX Tour 56
    Handicap 9.3

Cool Effect of Driver Shaft Length on Distance

To LyleG,
    If only I could increase my swingspeed. Years ago, I hit my drives 240-250 yards with my wooden Ping Eye 2 Driver with a steel shaft. Unfortunately, in the early 90's, I injured my back - getting two herniated lumbar discs (L1 & L3). Everytime I golf, I need to make a conscious effort to keep my swing speed low and limit myself to about 50-60 full swings including practice swings. One time last summer I forgot to hold back, driving the ball anywhere between 230-260 yards for the entire round, and then my back was talking to me for two weeks. My back just can't take any more torque or more reps.

This winter I am going to make an effort to strengthen my wrists and hands and see if it helps. (I'm sure it won't hurt.) Other than that, I think I need to have technology help me. My swing speed is slow (80-85 MPH) and my tempo is steady. What does help is that I am tall so leverage is helping to some extent. My ball trajectory is medium (I wish it was higher with the driver) and I hit the ball either straight or with a slight draw. My past Cobra SS350 driver and my current Ti460 Cleveland Launcher are both 12* loft. I'd appreciate any advice you (or others) have to help me increase my distance.

You also mentioned an article or book by Tom Wishon on the subject and I wonder if you could let me know the title of the book/article and where I can find it. Thanks.
    Don't pee on my back and tell me it's raining.

Equipment in my Ping Discover bag:
    Driver: 2006 Cleveland Launcher - 11.5* with Low Carb shaft
    4-Wd: 2004 Callaway BB SS - 17* with IRod
    7-Wd: 2004 Callaway BB SS - 21* with Proforce V2 65
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler - 23* with Aldila NV HY
    5 Iron - PW: Ping G5's - CS Lite steel
    Wedges: Cleveland 900 chrome 50*, 54* & 60*
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball with 34" shaft
    Golf Balls: E5's, NXT's, Noodles, So/Lo's & Laddies

Might not be what you want to hear but have you thought about just using a 3-wood off of the tee. With your back problems I can't imagine your going to be able to attack the ball like you would need to to get the most out of any driver and the longer the shaft it the harder it is to make solid contact. The 3-wood would help to get the ball in the air with more spin and would be much easier to hit more solid.

Just a thought.

Hayward

With your swing speed being as slow as it is you need to do everything you can to maximize carry.
    I would recommend a good soft tip shaft, with at least 4 degrees of torque. This shaft here in A flex would be my first choice for you. I have installed it for people with similar situations and they have seen tremendous results. http://www.myostrichgolf.com/clubmak...roducts_id=971
    You will also want to increase the loft of your driver to about 14 degrees. Again this will be a huge help at those speeds. I would suggest this head http://www.myostrichgolf.com/clubmak...roducts_id=875
    Now biuld it to a playing length of 43 (preferably) inches and voila.
    The whole club would cost you less than $200, and imo would help you more than anything.

The book by Tom Wishon is called The Search for the Perfect Golf Club http://www.amazon.com/Search-Perfect...e=UTF8&s=books

Good luck
    Last edited by LyleG; 11-02-2006 at 05:22 AM.

wouldn't lengthening the shaft alter the lie of the clubhead? As I understand "lie", is is the angle of the head to the ground, right? Why aren't there choices for lie angles? I am 5'6", and have a swing speed around 100 mph, but slice it pretty regularly. Would a longer or shorter shaft be better for me, or would it make that much difference?

Lie angle isnt important for a wood because they generally dont dig in the ground.

At 5'6, I would guess your driver is way to long if its 45 inches. 43 would probably be far better.

I was much more consistent after cutting the driver down a bit....

it will likely need to be re-swingweighted too

Wishon's book was a pretty good read, but if you've been doing this a while it's mainly review

Thanks, Lyle. Cut my driver down to 44" (figured it would be a compromise) and that made a great difference. More control, etc. I am not as much of a danger to people in other time zones now!
    I thought my swing speed was around 100, but found it is in the mid 90s after figuring out how to use the launch monitor at Golfsmith. I have an Aldila NV 65-s shaft. A guy at a local shop said that was too stiff. Think so?

Quote Originally Posted by wth?
    Thanks, Lyle. Cut my driver down to 44" (figured it would be a compromise) and that made a great difference. More control, etc. I am not as much of a danger to people in other time zones now!
    I thought my swing speed was around 100, but found it is in the mid 90s after figuring out how to use the launch monitor at Golfsmith. I have an Aldila NV 65-s shaft. A guy at a local shop said that was too stiff. Think so?

Aldila NV 65 R has a rsp of 85/95 mph.... and if it a little shorter, that may make it even stiffer.

So the stiff flex of 95/105 will be maybe, too stiff. However, stiffness gives straightness to a certain degree.

shaft length (and flex?)

According to some, the shaft is the only thing that matters! Since evidently I am one of the few people in the world who doesn't have a swing that breaks the sound barrier, should I use a regular shaft? You said that stiffer=straighter. If I have a slice, would a regular flex make that worse?

I use a 8.5 loft,Aldila NV 65S shaft and have no problem getting the ball up, but do slice it, although it is getting better as I learn. Obviously I'd need to swing it to tell for sure, but would a regular flex give me more distance, and would I sacrifice control?

Reg. flex is probably actually helping your slice.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

A softer flex will usually help to correct/minimize a slice.
    The softer flex, especially a shaft that is softer in the tip section will allow the head to square a little sooner. Most people with shafts that are too stiff hit the ball low and slice it, how much depends on a lot of things, but the general concensus is that you are far better off with a shaft that is too flexible versus one that is too stiff.
    too soft flex = more distance, more likey to hit a draw than a slice
    too Stiff flex = less distance, no feel, slice
    With a mid 90's swing and tip stiff NV, I would say yes, it is going to be too stiff for you.

Ping G10

Aloha all,
    I just scored a Ping G10 for pretty cheap, I am in the process of fixing my slice and doing pretty well. I had been demo'ing some other drivers with stiff flex shafts until I found out my swing speed is about in the high 80's....The regular flex has worked wonders for my driving abilities. I couldn't hit the driver to save my life for a long time (Tee'd it up with my 3 iron more often than not) due to a couple of things that I now realize...1st some bad advice about my grip was holding me back and 2nd the WRONG shaft for my swing speed. I urge any of you out there who THINK they swing fast like I did....go have it analyzed for real and if it's below the low 90's get a regular flex instead of stiff and I guarantee you will hit straighter drives.

My question is about shaft length though...on my stock Ping shaft it says TFC 129D regular. I am 6'3" but have very long arms. How do I measure the length of this shaft or is it pretty standard on the stock shaft, and how do I measure myself in regards to shaft length? Would a change be effective? I tend to hit the ball near the hosel no matter how far away from the ball I stand (which I know is my problem not the club's), but would a shorter shaft help with that? Just so you know, this driver is so good that a mis hit on the heel sounds, feels, and flies just like you hit it on the sweet spot....

Oh and since I'm new here I have to add this....got a set of brand new Ben Hogan Apex Edge forged irons given to me for free and they are the best thing that has happened to me since my kids were born...these clubs are the best irons on the planet (not just because they were free). If you get a chance to try these irons you will be blown away at their awesomeness in all aspects, feel, looks, everything....
    Mahalo!

Play with whatever you are comfortable with. I am only 5.6" and all of my drivers are 47" (from end of grip to bottom of club's head) and I am very comfortable with . I have no problem controlling my driver (75%-80% on fairway, distance is about 210-220)

Quote Originally Posted by haywardwisc
    I have a 2006 Ti460 Cleveland Launcher, with the standard Cleveland Sliver A-flex shaft, and the club's length is 45". I'm a very consistent and straight hitter but can use all the help I can get on distance since my typical drive is about 210 yards. I am thinking of reshafting this driver with a UST Low Carb A-flex shaft - which I was very pleased with in my previous driver - a Cobra SS350. Then I got to wondering how much distance I could gain if I also increased the length of this new shaft by 1".

To eliminate the differences in shaft makes, models and flexes, let's say I am reshafting a driver with the identical shaft but 1" longer - increasing club length from 45" to 46". (This translates to a 2.2% increase in club length.) I know that I will have a flatter swing plane with the increased length, however, assuming all other aspects of the way I swing the club are the same, how much farther can I expect my current 210 yard drives to go?
    Go Purchase a Callaway Ft-9 tour and fairways and distance is all youll have owning this club. Its by far one of the best drivers I have owned next too my Cobra 414 comp tour
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    I am only 5.6" and all of my drivers are 47"
    Well, that was kind of random. I'm not sure we needed to know that, but at least you don't call yourself Pky5.6". Try not to let it bother you, all I get is complaining about the pain.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Well, that was kind of random. I'm not sure we needed to know that, but at least you don't call yourself Pky5.6". Try not to let it bother you, all I get is complaining about the pain.
    Don't worry... I get thick skin and 47" drivers... They go together *_*

Thread Information