|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Nike Unitized Putters

I putted the heel to toe weighted Anser-looking version of the new Nike Unitized putters last night. I have never even thought about a Nike putter in the past, but this one's got me thinking. The sight lines are extremely clear and the club has great balance.
    I'm definitely a heel-toe putter fan so I figured I'd put it head to head with the Magnus Opus of heel-toe putters, the SC Newport. I honestly liked the Nike better. Of course $250 is a ton of cash for a putter. I would also like to see some sort of warranty if the shaft bends due to natural causes.
    Disclaimer: This was at a golf store. My putting proficiency on the Golf Galaxy indoor green would rival Brad Faxon.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

What brand golf ball were you using?

Golf Galaxy has a bunch of different brands laying around their putting green. Mostly middle upper level balls (i.e. Bridgestone e5, NXT, Cally Hx Red, etc.).
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Oh. I just wondered because I find different putters feel differently depending on the ball. The NXT doesn't feel the same as a ProV1. With my Bullseye the NXT feels rather hard adn seems to rebound off the putter very quickly. Yet if I use my Odyssey mallet with the plastic insert in the face the NXT doesn't feel so hard and rebounds (seemingly) a bit slower (which I prefer). The biggest reason I use the more expensive balls is feel more than anything else.

I use my Bullseye putter on slightly slower greens and when my putting touch feels better with an inside/square/inside putting stroke. When putting faster greens I prefer the Odyssey because it's face balanced and works very well with a pendelum type swing which when I loose a bit of touch is easier for me to reproduce. That and it's softer feeling face make it feel like I can control the speed of putts better on faster greens.

When my putting feel is really on I really like heel toe balanced putters. I'm always in the market for a new putter, but wow! $250 is a bit steep for a person like me who just doesn't take the game as serious any more. Perhaps when I retire.....

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Oh. I just wondered because I find different putters feel differently depending on the ball. The NXT doesn't feel the same as a ProV1. With my Bullseye the NXT feels rather hard adn seems to rebound off the putter very quickly. Yet if I use my Odyssey mallet with the plastic insert in the face the NXT doesn't feel so hard and rebounds (seemingly) a bit slower (which I prefer). The biggest reason I use the more expensive balls is feel more than anything else.

I use my Bullseye putter on slightly slower greens and when my putting touch feels better with an inside/square/inside putting stroke. When putting faster greens I prefer the Odyssey because it's face balanced and works very well with a pendelum type swing which when I loose a bit of touch is easier for me to reproduce. That and it's softer feeling face make it feel like I can control the speed of putts better on faster greens.

When my putting feel is really on I really like heel toe balanced putters. I'm always in the market for a new putter, but wow! $250 is a bit steep for a person like me who just doesn't take the game as serious any more. Perhaps when I retire.....
    I'd wager the prices on these will be more reasonable after December. I don't think that Golf Galaxy's indoor putting green is the best possible indicator of a putter's performance, but the one thing that really stood out about the Nike was the feel. They're really on to something with their one piece design. It just felt perfect when I made a good stroke.
    My god, I feel like Benguk with my Nike pimping...
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Yeah...they'll be sitting right beside the Hogan Bettinardies and the Wilson Kirk Curries that were up around $400 new, but didn't sell. It seems people are only ready to shell out the big bucks if a putter has Scotty's name on it - a shame too, because I would go with a Bettinardi over an SC anyday...all personal choice, I guess. I tried the Unitized Retro yesterday (the one that looks like a Circa 2) - I was pleasantly surprised. The putter isn't as good looking as the one it is imitating, but it does feels great, and puts a nice roll on the ball. Whether it is worth $350 CAD becomes a question of individual taste, I guess, but then again, is a Cameron worth that? Not to me.
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

Thread Information