|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question 7 wood-3 Iron-hybrid-?

If you had a choice,and could play all 3 clubs well,which one would you keep
    in your bag and why.

7-Wood

I choose the 7-Wood. For me it is very easy to hit out of the rough, and extemely easy to hit from the fairway. It has been a very reliable go-to club for me. Not only can I hit it well, but I can hit it consistently well. That's what works for me. That's my humble $.02

Regards,

Bert

Of the 3 clubs you mentioned i only have a 7 wood.
    If i had all 3 i would rotate them most likely, dependant on weather conditions. For example at the moment with the wet conditions and such, i would keep the 7 wood, much easier than an iron when the turf is soft and less forgiving. I would use the 3 iron only when the fairway was in top spec. to make chances of a pure strike that tiny bit easier.

TOM
    "1 PUTTS PREFFERED!"

If I can ever find a hybrid I like I'll go with that.

3 iron: for me it keeps it low into the wind and gets lots of roll. Lousy carry distance for me.

7 wood(metal): I can get 200+ yds carry, but it goes really high (more affected by wind)

hybrid: best of both worlds if I pick the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    If I can ever find a hybrid I like I'll go with that.

3 iron: for me it keeps it low into the wind and gets lots of roll. Lousy carry distance for me.

7 wood(metal): I can get 200+ yds carry, but it goes really high (more affected by wind)

hybrid: best of both worlds if I pick the right one.
    Agree--if you hit all of them well, I think the hybrid is the most versatile. Their increased popularity on tour would seem to bear this out too.

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk
    If you had a choice,and could play all 3 clubs well,which one would you keep
    in your bag and why.
    i have all 3. i put away my 3-iron about 2 yrs ago b/c i couldn't hit it reliably at all. at that time, i bought a 7-wood. it's good off the tee, fairway, rough, but into the wind it really seemed to balloon up & lose distance.
    so this last fall i bought a slightly used Hogan hybrid for $60. i actually tried several different hybrids, but found i hit it easier for me to hit and control than some of the newer versions (by Taylor Made) with moveable weights. i could actually work the ball a little better with the Hogan hybrid, but not the TM's.
    it seems to be working well SO FAR for me for a couple of reasons. first, it has a steel shaft which is easier to control than the longer graphite shaft of the 7-wood. my irons have steel, so the transition is better. second, it doesn't balloon in the wind like the 7-wood did. 3rd, i actually feel more confident swinging the hybrid than the 7-wood. but, that could change of course.

I've tried all 3, but frankly can't hit the 3 iron as consistently as I'd like.
    My experience for control and consistent results: Hybrid > 7 wood >> 3 iron.
    HOWEVER, if I could hit a 3 iron as well as the others (and the vast majority of amateur golfers cannot do that), I'd use a 3 iron on windy days and a hybrid the rest of the time. The shorter shaft of a hybrid vs. most 7 woods, and the more versatile sole makes it preferable vs. 7 woods in my hands.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Given that I get more consistent distance out of the 3 hybrid and the 7 wood, I would go with either of those first. I have one of each, and I would say the iron-like swing the hybrid entails is much more consistent than the 7 wood, and the hybrid is more versatile. I hit the 3 iron well from the tee but cannot accomplish much with it from the turf, so it stays at home lonely while me and its bag-buddies are out playing . I will include it if it is really windy and leave out a high iron depending on the course I am playing that day, but in general, the 3hybrid gets the nod. I don't carry my 7 wood at all anymore.
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

Thread Information