|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

When will it end?

All righty, campers......Get ready to start bashing old Dorkman for bringing up the subject, but.....
    WHY does she keep getting sponsor's exemptions??!!
    With a 78, 8 over par on the first round, and an expected cut at +2, she'll only have to shoot a 64 on the par 70 course to get close to the cut line. It COULD happen.... She was 143rd out of 144 after the first round......
    http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/lea...g7UooeuGQogsUF
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I dunno man. In this particular case, probably b/c she's pimped to Sony. Ask any of my friends and they'll tell you that when Weezy first showed up on the scene, I was one of her biggest supporters. Thought she had game enough to pull it off. However, even I have tired of watching her play and blow up. OK, before anyone beats me over the head, yes, I do know she's still a kid. However, I still think the hype should sort of fizzle in accordance to her performance in tourneys. Don't get me wrong, I wish her the best, but don't have it in me to tune in to watch (at least not just for her). 2 cents.
    In My Bag (for now):
    Taylormade Burner TP 10.5*
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15*
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG 18*
    Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
    Vokey Raw 50*, Vokey SM 54*, Vokey SM 58*
    Yes! Tracy II
    Bridgestone B-330-S

I wish people didn't buy tickets just to see her in a men's event! But they do. So until something changes she'll probably continue to get exemptions!

Personally, I'd really like to see some of the better women players get some invites. It would be just a matter of time before one of them made a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    I wish people didn't buy tickets just to see her in a men's event! But they do. So until something changes she'll probably continue to get exemptions!

Personally, I'd really like to see some of the better women players get some invites. It would be just a matter of time before one of them made a cut.
    Didn't Annika come within a few strokes of the cut at the Colonial a few years ago?

It's all about money and the money behind her. When you invest millions on someone you expect some limelight, hell they paid to shove her down our throats and a lot of people are eating it up. Even the haters "care" enough to follow her repeated failures, yes that would be you and I as well as a few others Dorkman. It's all our faults!!!! I own a Sony handicam, a TV or two from them, who knows what else. My sneakers are at fault as are my SP-8's.

I blame myself, I blame TV for trying to get ratings from nothing... she's too young to be "HAWT" so why do people watch her? Morbid curiousity anyone?
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

She was just upstage by a 16 year old newcomer who his a foot shorter than her and made a great eagle on the 18 hole , making him one if not the youngest person to
    make the cut on the PGA so good for him, and maybe now she and her sponsors
    can work on trying to win something on the LPGA.WEEEEEEEE!

Personally I'd be embarassed if I was in her place. What she is trying to do is admirable, but she isn't handling the pressure very well and perhaps should back off till she has 1) more experience 2) is a bit older as it seems pretty obvious that she has been coached in what to say and still sounds like a 14 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    All righty, campers......Get ready to start bashing old Dorkman for bringing up the subject, but.....
    You know EXACTLY why, ol' Dork... it's that symbol above the Number 4 key on your keyboard.

With a 78, 8 over par on the first round, and an expected cut at +2, she'll only have to shoot a 64 on the par 70 course to get close to the cut line. It COULD happen.... She was 143rd out of 144 after the first round......
    http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/lea...g7UooeuGQogsUF
    It's cause she's cute, or at least many a guy thinks she is, so they want to believe. Every kid from 15-26 has a fantasy of having a tall girl like Michelle who can hit a golf ball as far as they can. This isn't complicated.

She hasnt even won on the LPGA so she shouldnt pull stupid **** like that and then miss the cut every time. Shes taking the spot of someone who could actually make the cut.

Someone who may make the cut but won't draw tickets to the gate... won't make people tune in their TV's etc etc... are you thinking like it should be a "deserved" thing to make the field?
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

I agree but the reason for the hype is her sponsors not her abilities. I was looking at the golf digest top golf money maker's of 2006. Tiger, Mickelson, Palmer, Sing Norman, Wie, Els...
    The interesting thing is the made off the course is substantially larger than on. Each of the top money makers have a reputatio they have earned but Wie only won $700K of her 19 million on the course. It's amazing to me that she has more endorsements than Els, Furyk, and even Nicklaus. How much is Nike paying for her to compete?

I'm far more interested in the other developing story over there, the 16 year old kid (Fujikawa) who was born 3.5 months premature, given a 50-50 chance to live, and not only made the cut but was briefly on the leaderboard on Saturday. Talk about an inspirational story, this is hopefully just the story to knock her out of the headlines for good. He's a foot shorter and two years younger than Wie, and has come a long way since being so small after birth that he could fit in his grandfather's palm!

But will Nike's marketing machine behind him like it behind Wie?

Tale of contrasts

lets not forget however that she did finish
    T2 at the womens US open
    T5 at the LPGA championship
    T3 at the Kraft Nabisco
    3rd at the fields open
    T2 at the evian masters
    T26 at the womens british
    Not a bad 2006 for a high school kid with a very limited playing schedule.

Playing with the men is getting old and imo going to hurt her mentally. Thus it needs to stop. She is however one hell of a female golfer no matter where she plays.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    lets not forget however that she did finish
    T2 at the womens US open
    T5 at the LPGA championship
    T3 at the Kraft Nabisco
    3rd at the fields open
    T2 at the evian masters
    T26 at the womens british
    Not a bad 2006 for a high school kid with a very limited playing schedule.

Playing with the men is getting old and imo going to hurt her mentally. Thus it needs to stop. She is however one hell of a female golfer no matter where she plays.
    Absolutely. She needs to compete with WOMEN. She can and should have a bright future on the LPGA, but she and her sponsors should now be able to realize that she isn't CLOSE to being competitive with the men. In the meantime, she is laughing all the way to the bank, so that's a pretty good payoff for demonstrating she can't do what she claims to be able to do.......I would have been glad to get paid all the money she made for failing to make cuts, and I would have done it for HALF what they paid her.......
    Frankly, she has probably made enough money already that, if it is invested wisely, she would never have to touch a golf club or do ANY sort of activity for pay for the rest of her life.

Frankly, she has probably made enough money already that, if it is invested wisely, she would never have to touch a golf club or do ANY sort of activity for pay for the rest of her life.

I dont know about that. Food in the quantities that she seems to want it can get pretty pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    I dont know about that. Food in the quantities that she seems to want it can get pretty pricey.
    I am referring to the $19 million quoted in post #12. If she got even a large minority of that after taxes, and it was invested conservatively, she could live for the rest of her life on several hundred thousand a year. If she could eat through that, we would have a real porker in a few years........

I bet it costs a bundle keeping those bees handy for when she wants to improve her lie.

Thread Information