|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question WTB: DH bike or M14/M1A Rifle

I have all the golf gear I want and what more I would want in golf I can't afford: that is, I would like more time to play on weeknights, but until Day Light Savings in April that'll have to wait. And on weekends, I'm spending my lesure time primarily on cycling (mountain), then at the gym, playing golf, and some at the rifle range (at the Richmond R&G Club, where we got rifle, IPSC, and Skeet'nTrap ranges)

Right now, I've got all the bkes and guns I need, but I could make room for one more of each. Eventually I'll be getting both, but talk, flame, or troll to us about what I should be getting first:

a 2007 Kona Stab Delux downhill mountain bike racing rig
    -or-
    a LRB M14SA 7.62x51mm semi-automatic rifle, for deer and feral pig hunting

http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/S...UXE/index.html

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14sa.html
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

I don't know that much about mtn bikes but I do know that over 2K for a basically stock M14 is too much. I haven't keep up much w/ M14's since I got mine 4 years ago but there are definitely cheaper and better options out there. You could buy a Springfield M1A for 1400 and have 600+ left over to upgrade. That 600 could get all kinds of goodies but most importantly a better barrel. Or you could do what I did, get a Chinese Polytech gun (or just a receiver) and build off that (I know you're a buy American guy but these were made decades ago and I stripped almost all of the junk chinese parts in favor of American parts). The receivers on polytechs are very good but most other parts should be ditched: op rod, gas cylinder, sights, etc... The trigger group was OK but I eventually swapped that out too.

Anyways something to think about.
    Driver: Wilson Staff Dd5 10* S - 44.25"
    (soon to be Adams BUL 10.5* UST Proforce V2 R - 43.50")
    FW: Adams Redline 3 wood 15* S - 42.25"
    Hybrids: Adams Iwood 17*, 21* iron shaft S
    Irons: MacGregor 455M 4-PW R
    GW: Clevland 52* 900 RTG
    SW: Clevland 56* 588 RTG
    Putter: Macgregor M5k

I would pick the Kona, and FYI Daylight Savings Starts early this year, and goes longer as well. DST starts 3/11/2007, and ends 11/4/07.

DST starts 3/11

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    I would pick the Kona, and FYI Daylight Savings Starts early this year, and goes longer as well. DST starts 3/11/2007, and ends 11/4/07.
    nice: DST starts 3/11.

I like playing regular weeknight golf best, nine or so holes, with a buddy or two, followed by dinner and drinks and then playing occasional full rounds on some (but not on every) weekends

gettin' both

Quote Originally Posted by alyssagolf
    Get the bike dude.

Sure this is coming from someone that has never held a real gun or shot one, but crimony, I was born and raised in San Francisco... We use our fists here (take a look at our Yale fiasco), and there is nothing worth hunting...

Get the bike now...

Get the gun when you get into your 50's, but enjoy your bike while you have the youth to do so.

Have you done any centuries? I have done about 3 centuries.

I was really good at bike riding in freestyling; got sponsored, and even did shows and signed autographs as a kid... but what these kids do nowadays, is crazy...

At the risk of exposing my online identity, I will tell you that I was the founder of many of the moves, back in the day that are now used in modern freestyling and ramps; we would go to Fisherman's wharf, and start doing tricks, and then the tourists would even close down streets and divert traffic to all us to finish our shows; we made a hell of a lot of money back then (couple hundred bucks for us kids)...

We would ride back home through Pacific Heights and the Presidio, down Lake street to Seacliff...

I ramble, but in my honest opinion...

Get the bike, compete, and ride like a bastard and win!

Well wishes,

spank
    yO, thanks, spank

I'll be getting both, but yeah, common sense says to get da DH race bike first.

I already have a trusty old cross country (XC) race bike frame with a whole lotta modern parts -- a "light" steel hardtail that I race and ride in the Peninsula, East Bay, Eldridge Grade (Marin), Tamarancho (Marin), Downieville, Bear Valley, and Tahoe. I'm also a coach for a local mountain bike racing team: i used to gripe about "baby sitting" slower racers, but now many of them makes me inhale dirt.

Get the [fancy] gun when you get into your 50's, but enjoy your bike while you have the youth to do so. yup, that sums it up. And i knew it. Was just stirring the pot.

and here's tribute the the best (most fun and effective) martial arts school I've ever seen or have been part of
    http://www.goldenstatetkd.com/Pages/tournaments.html

they teach real Okinawan & Korean martial arts first, then they coach martial sports second
    any school can produce young male champions, but this school also developed female kickboxing and WTF champions and a whole lot of real nice people. people drive from all over to attend this unique school. if you're lucky enough to live near enough than it's a real treat, if you can "eat bitter" as a Chinese saying goes about toughness.

I'm getting a downhill race (DH) bike when I reach my modest personal goals at the Nappa Valley Dirt Classic XC mountain bike race, for us aint-so-young Mens division. I was faster before I started playing golf, but I now that I'm at an OK level of golf, I can get back into some of my old habits.

http://www.puc.edu/Pioneers/NVDC/info2001.htm

BTW, I aint coordinated nor ballsy enough to do them bike trials...that sick sh!ts insane: great for those that can pull it off.
    Last edited by ironman; 01-17-2007 at 10:49 PM.

Thread Information