|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Left handed playing right handed....switch back?

I'm a lefty, but have been playing golf for the past 10 years (off and on) right handed. I have trouble with casting on my swing, I swing out to in, so I have a very high ball flight that fades. If I try swinging a club left handed, it's more on plane, and I don't cast. The thing is I just do imaginary swings. Should I try playing left handed? Is it worth it to buy clubs and make a switch? I've been trying to fix my cast for the last 4 years. Wonder if it'd be easier to hit left handed. Anyone have any thoughts, or experience with this?

It's difficult to determine anything without knowing more about the level at which you play as that often determines how technical a response should be.

You don't have to buy left handed clubs to try them out. Most pro shops have demos in lef handed clubs and that's the route I would go before spending any money on a set.

How do you know that "casting" the club is your problem?

I make no pretense at being a golf instructor, or an expert of any kind on the subject, but I would offer an opinion, based on experience with other sports. I am a natural right hander who learned at an early age to bat lefthanded in baseball. For waterskiing, righthanders or lefthanders will place either left foot or right foot forward on a slalom ski. I think it is really what you have become accustomed to doing that matters. I suspect it would be easier to fix your swing flaw with some instruction than to discard 10 years of sensory-motor habits by switching handedness. Beware of the law of unintended consequences; you might fix one problem and create several more......
    Just my opinion; do with it what you will.....
    Last edited by dorkman53; 02-07-2007 at 10:53 AM.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I shoot in the high 80s if I play a lot, but if not I'm in the 90s. I am pretty good with my irons, except they are short due to casting. I've had lesson at Golftec where they show the casting on film. I've been working on trying to fix it, but from 10 years of muscle memory it's hard. Driving is an issue because the ball will go high and right. I hit my 8 iron higher than most people hit their PW. My 7 iron goes around 145.

I also think that it would be easier to alter your current swing than to start over from scratch with a new one, but I think you're focusing on the wrong issue. I think if you correct your current over the top (outside-in) move to more of an inside approach, your casting problem will improve considerably, but not necessarily vice-versa.

I don't want to repost it here, but if you read my respone to Kiwi in his "Natural shot shape or Swing flaw" thread, you'll see what helped me with basically the same problems you mention.

***DISCLAIMER*** Like Dorkman, I'm no expert and might actually be the very last person that should ever give golf advice.

i too am left handed and i have never swung a club lefthanded i have always play righte handed and will never change... i think that because i learned this way it would be plain dumb to switch back... my advice is to find a good instructor and make some swing changes i visit my instructor @ least once a week and i recomend the same...

I'm another left hander who swings a golf club right handed.

Once borrowed an iron from my dad's set (who's also left handed and swings left handed) to give it a go. Never attempted to even hit a ball, though, becuase i couldn't even turn properly. Felt far too unnatural.

Years before golf, played field hockey - and you can't swing a field hockey stick lefty, so got used to swinging two handed as a righty. So hockey & batting in cricket (or baseball) i swing right handed, but for one handed play like tennis squash etc i swing it left handed...

Whichever way feels more natural is the one to stick with, I'd say.

So if you prefer to bat right handed play golf right handed also....

Coops

Thread Information