|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Trigger finger!?

I took my first lesson in over 12 years just yesterday. My instructor told me I needed to bring my right index (trigger) finger in with the rest of my fingers. He told me I would get more power and accuracy this way. Does this sound at all accurate? It sure doesn't feel right. A little background on me: I've played since I was 5 years old. My earliest teacher tought me to extend my right index finger down, but still wrapping the grip. I have always played to a slight draw. I played continually until 1995. For a few years after that, I only played once or twice a month. I stopped all together in 2000. Recently, 8 weeks ago, got back into my game. First round back, shot a 97. Since then, I have been playing at least 2-3 times a week and hitting the range at least once a week. Switched from my 962b's to Tzoid Trues. Dropped my scores into the mid-low 80's (82-84 consistently). This past Friday, I purchased a set of NOS Macgregor 1025M's for a GREAT deal ($180). Went out Saturday and shot a 78. Shot a 76 the very next day. I noticed my distances have dropped slightly with irons from my earlier days (I used to carry a 7-iron about 160 yards - no wind, level condition). I know some of this is attributable to the lofting of the club. However, this instructor says I need to learn to hit the ball consistently staight as opposed to slight draw. He says I need to learn straight first, then work the ball from there. For reference, I can't hit a controlled fade to save my life. Does anyone else out there use a "descended" trigger finger?

I utilize a slight trigger and the only negative I can envision might be to apply some sort of force with that finger when it' s not needed.

As for the rest I've never heard of an instructor telling a student who's happy with their ball flight (fade/draw) to try and hit it straight. Seems counter to everything I learned in that except for a rare few most everyone either fades or draws the ball. The finger thing I can understand, but not the ball flight. Perhaps you could ask your instructor why they insist on learning to hit it straight (if it's possible for you) when it runs counterintuitive to everything you've learned in the past.

tell your instructor that all the touring pros consistantly hit one shot shape or the other...fade or a draw....it is almost impossible to hit the ball straight everytime....it is easier to just hit a consistent fade or draw...

one bum once said that no one can hit the ball straight everytime....this bum probably doesnt have as impressive of a credential sheet as your pro but he does have 18 Majors......
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

I spent 2 years of practice to get rid of my trigger finger. It took that long.

It is odd the teacher claimed it could cost power, because I found the opposite.

The problem with the trigger (at least for me) was it would sometimes cause a cast, and it is not the best hand position to support the club properly at the top. I am glad to be rid of it.

Look at Daly and some of those guys though. Trigger finger all the way down the grip almost to the steel of the shaft.

Thanks for the input...

I think I'll find a different instructor. It's been a LONG time since I used one. My favorite has always been the one that taught me from the time I started to my later high-school years. He was a believer of the older theory of golf. His two pieces of advice to me were to swing through the ball, not at it, and "target" first base. Grip, to him, didn't matter. He never chastised me for the interlock w/ trigger combo I prefer. I guess he knew of the Golden Bear's grip style (now also used by his "heir-apparent"). Other than strengthening or weaking the hands, he never suggested any other change to my grip. Anyway, I like my draw...it's controlled and dialed in...and just feels natural. I think I'll find another instructor more willing to work with what I've got and fine-tune some of the details.

El Guapo,
    Would you say you have had a "plethora" of lessons?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo
    I think I'll find a different instructor. It's been a LONG time since I used one. My favorite has always been the one that taught me from the time I started to my later high-school years. He was a believer of the older theory of golf. His two pieces of advice to me were to swing through the ball, not at it, and "target" first base. Grip, to him, didn't matter. He never chastised me for the interlock w/ trigger combo I prefer. I guess he knew of the Golden Bear's grip style (now also used by his "heir-apparent"). Other than strengthening or weaking the hands, he never suggested any other change to my grip. Anyway, I like my draw...it's controlled and dialed in...and just feels natural. I think I'll find another instructor more willing to work with what I've got and fine-tune some of the details.
    If your current shot shape is so controlled and dialed in why are you seeing the insructor? Instructors frequently teach their students to work the ball in the opposite direction from their normal ball flight. This helps the student better understand the concepts of the swing and allows the student the ability to adjust when their swings are out of synch. You said yourself that it is very difficulty for you to fade the ball. Maybe the instructor is trying to get you into a more neutral setup so that your misses aren't as bad as they otherwise might be.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    I firmly believe that that "straight" means that the ball ends up where you want it to. If it curves through the air to get there then so be it. The only shots I hit that appear straight are wedge shots and even then I suspect they curve although its difficult so see.

Regarding the "trigger" finger I would like to refer you to Hogans 5 Lessons. Ravielli's illustrations clearly show that the right index finger is crooked and the shaft rests in the angle formed at the middle joint. However it does not extend down the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    El Guapo,
    Would you say you have had a "plethora" of lessons?
    "Would you like to kiss me on the veranda?"
    "Oh....the lips would be just fine."

"I like the one who isn't so smart."
    "Which one is that?"

"Sew old woman......sew like the wind."

"Do you have anything besides......Mexican food?"

"Tell me, do you know the meaning of the word 'foreplay'?"
    "No."
    "Good. Neither does El Guapo."

Truly a quotable movie, amigo.
    Last edited by dorkman53; 02-17-2007 at 06:19 AM.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    "Would you like to kiss me on the veranda?"
    "Oh....the lips would be just fine."

"I like the one who isn't so smart."
    "Which one is that?"

"Sew old woman......sew like the wind."

"Do you have anything besides......Mexican food?"

"Tell me, do you know the meaning of the word 'foreplay'?"
    "No."
    "Good. Neither does El Guapo."

Truly a quotable movie, amigo.
    "It's probably a mail plane."
    "How can you tell?"
    "Can't you see it's little balls?"

"Goodnight, Ned."

"I can't believe you just shot the invisible swordsman!"
    "It's like living with a 6 year old."
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

"We all have our personal 'El Guapo.' For some, it might be shyness. For others, perhaps a speech impediment. For us, it's a big, hairy guy named El Guapo who wants to kill us all...."

"You scumsucking pig! You son of a motherless goat!"

"He called us scumsucking pigs.........US!!"

"Tequila? Yeah...it's something like beer....."

"Lip balm?"
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    "We all have our personal 'El Guapo.' For some, it might be shyness. For others, perhaps a speech impediment. For us, it's a big, hairy guy named El Guapo who wants to kill us all...."

"You scumsucking pig! You son of a motherless goat!"

"He called us scumsucking pigs.........US!!"

"Tequila? Yeah...it's something like beer....."

"Lip balm?"
    "Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?"

"The snozzberries taste like snozzberries."

"I don't want a large Farva. I want a goddamn litre o' cola. "

"Your mother should've swallowed you, Rando!"
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Thread Information