|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Why are graphite shafts 1/2 inch longer?

I noticed that the normal setup for graphite shafts is suppose to be 1/2 inch longer. When I had my Callaway X-12 reshafted, they used the metal shaft lengths. Is that okay and why do people use a longer length for graphite shafts. What, if anything, is bad about not having that 1/2 inch extra length?
    Enjoying the game all over again,
    Robert
    Phoenix, AZ
    [B][U]In my Bag[/U][/B]
    Callaway Big Bertha 460 Driver (10 deg R flex)
    Callaway X Hot Fairway Wood with Graph Shaft
    Callaway X Hybrid with Graph Shaft
    Callaway X-12 Irons & Cleveland RTG & RTG+ Wedges (52, 56, & 60 degrees) with Grafalloy Attack Lite 355 Taper Iron Shaft
    Odyssey Tri-Ball SRT Putter
    Handicap? (I just started playing after 3 years, so it will take a few months to figure that one out
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    )

Graphite shafts are usually lighter than steel shafts, so they are left 1/2" longer to keep the swingweights similar.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Question So does this mean that my clubs were regrafted incorrectly?

Will this affect my swing or how I play? Will I have issues or should I ask Golfsmith to fix my shafts?
    Robert
    Phoenix, AZ
    [B][U]In my Bag[/U][/B]
    Callaway X-12 Irons & Cleveland RTG & RTG+ Wedges (52, 56, & 60 degrees) with Grafalloy Attack Lite 355 Taper Iron Shaft
    Handicap? (I just started playing after 3 years, so it will take a few months to figure that one out
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    )

Graphite is longer because they are made for women, who are shorter. That and old guys, and you know how people shrink as they age.

Get yourself a graphite shafted hybrid and get yourself to The Villages.

I don't know but a 1/2" shorter shaft might not appeal to the women down at The Villages.

Shortshafted man at The Villages may be spending a lot of time on the softball field.
    You can't handle the past.

I still vividly recall last year's link to the news that The Villages has the highest per capita rate of Venereal Disease in America. Every time I see that commercial I almost vomit. So very gnarly.

I guess it's true what they say "dirty old men." Probably not the shortshafted old men though.

Quote Originally Posted by Besson
    I still vividly recall last year's link to the news that The Villages has the highest per capita rate of Venereal Disease in America. Every time I see that commercial I almost vomit. So very gnarly.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/0...l_n_21716.html
    Enjoy.

Fred3, any truth to these rumors? I believe fred has visually confirmed that people shrink with age...
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

How very unsavory. Having a hard time thinking about the geriatric 'swingers'.

Hot shoe is a pretty good infielder on the commercial though. Must not be suffering a breakout during the filming or something.

one of the guys from my golf group is retiring and moving down to the villages.

I feel for the dirty old people already there. Doubt he will get any std's but maybe they are desperate. If I see him, I am going to suggest he not wear a condom. Would love to see him with some sort of crotch rot.

THe rounds of golf are going to go well over 6 hours down there if they let him out early. They may already be up there with all the scratching going on.

Don't know if he can turn 2 on the softball field though. Some of those guys are probably pretty slow so maybe. Might be a good addition before the std's take hold.

You've got to be one old SOB to sign up for The Villages.
    The biggest STD hurdle for your buddy is the obligatory romp in the sack with Nancy Lopez. TRUST me on this...
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    You've got to be one old SOB to sign up for The Villages.
    The biggest STD hurdle for your buddy is the obligatory romp in the sack with Nancy Lopez. TRUST me on this...
    Personal experience with Nancy?

The guy is not my buddy and he is old enough. We were all kinda happy to hear he was going - even happier now that I know what he is getting into to. He was the slowest 18 handicapper you ever saw. 200 yards from the green and standing over the ball for 5 minutes wondering if it is a 7 wood or 5 wood and then deciding and topping it 25 yards. The Villages can have him. Don't know what he will do for the soccer or softball teams. Can't see him turning 2. Too many ailments.

Graphite is longer because they are made for women, who are shorter. That and old guys, and you know how people shrink as they age.

In my discussions with the club maker and pro, this does not seem to be the only condition. They said that Graphite was also good for other folks (folks with elbow or shoulder problems, etc.). I am wondering if my shorter graphite shafts would hinder my game if they were not made 1/2 inch longer as most spec's seem to indicate? I just want to make sure that I should push to have the club maker reshaft all of my other clubs, since they were not givne the proper length. In reality the clubs feel fine with the lengths, since I am used to them (they are the same as my iron length). I guess it comes down to feel and I like the way they feel. I just wondered if they were any unknown benefits that others may be aware of.

On a side note as the new comer, what is the deal with Villages? Is this a retirement community? Where is it? The thread seems amuzing enough.
    Robert
    Phoenix, AZ
    [B][U]In my Bag[/U][/B]
    )

Quote Originally Posted by twotime
    Personal experience with Nancy?

The guy is not my buddy and he is old enough. We were all kinda happy to hear he was going - even happier now that I know what he is getting into to. He was the slowest 18 handicapper you ever saw. 200 yards from the green and standing over the ball for 5 minutes wondering if it is a 7 wood or 5 wood and then deciding and topping it 25 yards. The Villages can have him. Don't know what he will do for the soccer or softball teams. Can't see him turning 2. Too many ailments.
    You haven't lived until you've railed Lopez. Wrap it tight, though.
    Doubleplays in softball are generally non-existent, even for the under 70 leagues.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Have you never seen the commercials for the villages. Bunch of old people playing golf, aerobics, softball, soccer, swimming, and having sex I guess in a retirement community. Guys on the softball field look to be about 80. Lotta diapers but no condoms I am sure.

As for the shafts, how do you hit them? If you hit them fine, then leave it. Usually graphite is lighter and they will adjust the shaft length. Maybe your irons are 1/2" over standard already. The Callaway heads could also be heavier and with the graphite shafts at the same length as what you had still swing weight to around standard.

You haven't lived until you've railed Lopez. Wrap it tight, though.
    Doubleplays in softball are generally non-existent, even for the under 70 leagues.
    DP's in softball happen on comebackers and usually where the ss takes it himself. Harder on turnovers unless the fielders are really quick. That all goes out the window in some of those 300 pounder leagues.

As to lopez, what would jeff maggert do?

Quote Originally Posted by twotime
    DP's in softball happen on comebackers and usually where the ss takes it himself. Harder on turnovers unless the fielders are really quick. That all goes out the window in some of those 300 pounder leagues.

As to lopez, what would jeff maggert do?
    If you could somehow see all that Maggert has done to Lopez, you would instantly go insane due to awesomeness.

I'm used to co-ed beer leagues where it's a miracle to turn a single out from a ball hit on the ground. 3 weak popfly outs per inning, along with 6 runs, 3 hits, 5 errors, and 3 beers.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

If you could somehow see all that Maggert has done to Lopez, you would instantly go insane due to awesomeness.

I'm used to co-ed beer leagues where it's a miracle to turn a single out from a ball hit on the ground. 3 weak popfly outs per inning, along with 6 runs, 3 hits, 5 errors, and 3 beers.
    I've done the coed thing too. Competitive league though. Lots of DP's especially with slow running girls. Have to be strong up the middle in those leagues. The leagues I was in were 6 guys 4 girls though. 5 and 5 is a little different.

I thought 'The Villages' were executive courses... would a hybrid really be needed on such a course? He may do better with a 64 degree wedge...

I think it is three executive courses and the Lopez course is a par 71 or 72. The free golf for life only applies to the executive courses.

I know this because my gramma is down there chugging dirty beef.

I would not even sit in one of those golf carts. Gnar.

I know this because my gramma is down there chugging dirty beef.
    That has to be the single worst visual ever posted on this board. Well done, sir. I'm gonna have to steal this...
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Check the archives if you are bored. I've been turning stomachs for years.

Also Horseballs, that Goflyers dude is pretty cool. He loves to talk politics if you have anything you would like to share. I think he is volunteering on the Clinton (Hillary) campaign in his beloved home state of Michigan.

Check the archives if you are bored. I've been turning stomachs for years.

Also Horseballs, that Goflyers dude is pretty cool. He loves to talk politics if you have anything you would like to share. I think he is volunteering on the Clinton (Hillary) campaign in his beloved home state of Michigan.
    I don't doubt it, Besson. Using my awesome powers of deduction (basically just opposite everything you've posted), I'm guessing Goflyers is a republican OSU fan living in Dayton.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I don't doubt it, Besson. Using my awesome powers of deduction (basically just opposite everything you've posted), I'm guessing Goflyers is a republican OSU fan living in Dayton.
    HB, you must understand/learn that there is always some truth in B's post... I do like to talk politics and I am from Meechigan.

HB, GF lies a lot. He hates politics and lives in Vermont. He really, really likes Hillary though (Besson's truth)

Quote Originally Posted by goflyers
    HB, you must understand/learn that there is always some truth in B's post... I do like to talk politics and I am from Meechigan.
    Hmm. Why Flyers? I figured it must be a reference to the mighty Dayton Flyers.
    I can't imagine talking politics on this board.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

No, the Vermont Flyers. The mighty ski jumping team from the north. They are well known around those parts. Don't you remember what's his name from the past Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by riversen
    In my discussions with the club maker and pro, this does not seem to be the only condition. They said that Graphite was also good for other folks (folks with elbow or shoulder problems, etc.). I am wondering if my shorter graphite shafts would hinder my game if they were not made 1/2 inch longer as most spec's seem to indicate? I just want to make sure that I should push to have the club maker reshaft all of my other clubs, since they were not given the proper length. In reality the clubs feel fine with the lengths, since I am used to them (they are the same as my iron length). I guess it comes down to feel and I like the way they feel. I just wondered if they were any unknown benefits that others may be aware of.
    A 1/2" longer shaft may give you a few more yards distance due to the bigger arc, however, usually at some loss of accuracy if it is too long for you. The best thing to do is to get measured by a fitter or pro, particularly the wrist to floor length, and ask them to check to see if your arms are in the proper position at address. You can do this yourself using the custom fitting option at several sites. The Golfsmith.com one is pretty good.

The idea that graphite shafts are installed 1/2 inch longer to compensate for shorter females and shrinking seniors is certainly amusing, but has a logic problem. If shorter stature meant longer shafts, Tadd Fujikawa, would be using a 50" shaft, an illegal driver. Clubs with graphite are usually 1/2 inch longer to compensate for swingweight. Ladies clubs are usually an inch shorter anyway which compensates for an assumed shorter wrist-to-floor measurement and gets the swingweight lower. The X-12 came with a lighter steel shaft to begin with and the head is heavy enough that I doubt you would notice much difference even if the SW does measure lower...two to three points I would guess.

Dorkman answered the question accurately.

As for the ladies and seniors comment, be sure to take everything seriously.

Ben D.,

Thank you for your reply and very helpful information. I appreciate the insight and it makes me feel better about my clubs.

Besson,

As I hope Ben noted, it was amuzing and I didn't take it too terribly seriously. It was very amuzing and very much like your comment... "take everything seriously." I also got a good chuckle and enjoyed all of your banter. It helps make this forum fun, amuzing, and light. Don't stop being funny and let's all have as much fun!
    Robert
    Phoenix, AZ
    [B][U]In my Bag[/U][/B]
    )

Dorkman answered the question accurately.

As for the ladies and seniors comment, be sure to take everything seriously.
    Yes, Dorkman, and others, answered the question accurately.

As for the ladies and seniors comment, I said it was amusing. Relax. Keep up the humor.

Thread Information