|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: PING fitting?

PING fitting?

I heard that PING will custom fit you for clubs better than any other company. They are having a demo day close to me and was considering going and getting fit for a new set of G5's.
    Does anyone have any experience with PING fitting and what do they do that is so much more comprehensive than a local pro? Is getting fit by a local pro just as good?
    Thanks for the insight!
    FEA

My fit was terrible

I was given the G5's as a gift, (now my Fiance!!) when they came out. I went to a place in NJ, Edgewater golf. The guy was nice, but only did one thing for my fitting, get this. He put a CALLAWAY sticker on the bottom of an iron, and said go hit some balls. I left for 5 minutes, came back showed him the club and that was pretty much it. He said i was in between flattening the lie angle by 1 or 2 degrees, so he said do only 1 degree. I told him I tend to choke up a little bit, so he made the clubs 1/2 shorter, I told him I like thicker grips when I play hardball, so he made the grips thicker. Thats the extent of the fitting. Didn;t look at my swing or look to see what my swing speed was. Then I found out he gave me steel stiff flex irons which are a bit too stiff, and now my ball doesnt travel so far.

So, I did not have a good experience with Ping's fitting, granted this is a pro shop and not Ping per se, but if they let people represent them, they should make sure of who is doing just that.

I contacted ping and they said it was $28.50 to reshaft my clubs, sorry champ, I just spent $800 on a set of irons, I ain't giving you any more because of a crappy pro shop.

Unfortunately I am dissappointed with Ping and their representation, but I guess I learned for next time.

Also wasn't fit for a putter, but I said I like it short and they cut it down.

Not what I expected, maybe going Callaway next time.

Anyway, I do like the clubs but they are a little stiff, and a little light, wish they were more head heavy like some other irons I've hit of friends. But I think the stiffness is where it went wrong.

Hope this helped, and you avoid what I didn't. Good luck, David

hey belly, where do you usually play at around baltimore... maybe we could squeeze in a round... dont say bulle rock
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Hey Grandeson.... you should've returned those clubs within a week of that "fitting" as you got screwed by the pro shop. Ping wouldn't stand for that during one of their demo days type events why should you?

To be properly "fit" you'll need a demo day or PAY to be fitted by a qualified individual with all the tools. There is no substitute or shortcuts in a fitting session.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

What’s to fit? Use the fitting chart… I’m 5’10” with a normal wrist to floor measurement. That makes me as normal a “black dot” as you can get. I know a few who are 6’ but have big gorilla arms and need to go “red” based on the chart. People with big paws can check out the over-sized grips as well.

Quite frankly, fittings are way over-rated. Demo every club you can on the range and the course. I don’t mean to sound like a jerk but I am usually the longest hitter in the groups I end up with… usually I am the only one in these groups who has not been “fitted.” If you are anything above a scratch golfer your swing is, in my humble opinion, going to be way too inconsistent to be able to give reliable “fitting” information. I’m not excluding myself from this equation either.

PS- Go with the i5… the G5’s are shovels supreme… the i5’s are plenty forgiving.
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    hey belly, where do you usually play at around baltimore... maybe we could squeeze in a round... dont say bulle rock
    I live close to Bel Air. I play at Rocky Point in Essex or Ruggles in Aberdeen when I want a cheap round. Other than that pretty much evrywhere, what about you? I have been wanting to play Renditions, have you played there yet?
    FEA

Quote Originally Posted by CPS
    What’s to fit? Use the fitting chart… I’m 5’10” with a normal wrist to floor measurement. That makes me as normal a “black dot” as you can get. I know a few who are 6’ but have big gorilla arms and need to go “red” based on the chart. People with big paws can check out the over-sized grips as well.

Quite frankly, fittings are way over-rated. Demo every club you can on the range and the course. I don’t mean to sound like a jerk but I am usually the longest hitter in the groups I end up with… usually I am the only one in these groups who has not been “fitted.” If you are anything above a scratch golfer your swing is, in my humble opinion, going to be way too inconsistent to be able to give reliable “fitting” information. I’m not excluding myself from this equation either.

PS- Go with the i5… the G5’s are shovels supreme… the i5’s are plenty forgiving.
    I would tend to agree with most of what you say. I play standard clubs, I've never been fitted and I'm fine (6', normal physique) but... if I paid extra for a fitting or wanted one with a set of Pings (notorious for including a fitting with a purchase) I'd expect it to be done right.

On a side note the thing that scares me most about a fitting is that messing with my lie angle would most likely adjust my swing to the club as I'd set it up so the sole was grounded and keep it that way. I could probably strike a 5degree lie change either way flush it I could get my eyes to see the lie. I'd contort my body to anything they gave me in other words.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by neverman
    . if I paid extra for a fitting or wanted one with a set of Pings (notorious for including a fitting with a purchase) I'd expect it to be done right.
    You are right on, I figured if a proper fitting comes with a set why not. Secondly I figure it cant hurt to get fit properly and most places I have looked will deduct the cost of the fitting from the purchase of the clubs.

I am not set on PING but curious to the fitting they do.
    FEA

Thread Information