|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

And they're ready for the off!!

Open Week and its now getting serious. All the qualifying is over, the players are gathering and the sphincter muscles are tightening!!

I played yesterday (I'm about 70 miles as the seagull flies from Troon) and the fresh seaside breeze was certainly a tester (at least 3 clubs on some holes). Forecast for Troon is pretty good from what I can see, the winds will be light . However I still think it will be a factor (it is rarely benign) and it does tend to come up in the afternoon more, so tee times will be important. Course looks fantastic, quoting www.opengolf.com

"Without exception the players who have already enjoyed practice rounds at Royal Troon have been glowing in their praise for the condition and set up of the course.Mark Calcavecchia (The Hammer Thrower), the Champion here in 1989, said the greens were the best he had ever seen at an Open Championship."

Morning draw of the day for Thursday is Justin Leonard, Ernie Els and Luke Donald (7.58am)

Afternoon watchers should pencil in Tiger Woods, Lee Westwood and Greg Norman (13.42pm).

Also watch out for Darren Clarke, Adam Scott and Kenny Perry (12:36pm).

Mulling it over at the weekend I have thown my picks for the week:

Ames, Harrington, Leonard, but my hot tip is Michael Campbell (Kiwi legend!!). You heard it here first. I watched him at Loch lomond and he is stripeing the ball at the moment. He's been a bit off the boil and is a patchy player but mark mt words. The bookies are certainly going to get some of my dosh on this playa.

Card wrecker will be 11th!! I expect at least one 10.

Dave, I expect further gossip etc.
    Open Week at Portstewart, r u around this w/e?

Mickelson's answer

Quote Originally Posted by Irishgolfer
    .............Card wrecker will be 11th!! I expect at least one 10.

Courtesy of Irish Independent :

"SPECTATORS, marshals and even his playing partners, Jim Furyk and Tom Weiskopf, gasped in admiration on the 11th hole at Royal Troon yesterday morning as Phil Mickelson unveiled the 'secret weapon' that could transform the US Masters champ into a real contender at the British Open.

"Now that shot took some imagination," cooed Weiskopf after Mickelson launched an astonishing four wood that barely rose above waist height as it flew 200 yards from the middle of the fairway straight to the heart of the green.

"Uhuh," said Mickeslon with a sheepish grin. "It's just something I've been working on."

Never mind the Californian's modesty. The marshals on duty at a nearby fairway crossing point were still babbling enthusiastically about this solitary sensational shot hours later.

If Tiger Woods has his 'stinger', then Mickelson has added a missile to his armoury, giving him an opportunity to cheat the wind which will whistle across the links at Royal Troon this week. "

Looks like the man is stepping up to the plate.........

Btw Irish thanx for the invite, but I'm playing Thurs and Fri this week, doubt I have enough bonus points in the bank to get me upta Co. Antrim, ;) but thanx again

Tiger's Driving is all over the place

Another snippet for ya :

Tiger's guidance system reportedly let him down on Sunday. When a mix-up over his arrival time left Woods without a lift from the airport, he decided to rent a car and drive himself to the golf course but took a wrong turn and got lost in Glasgow city centre.

Sole shot but wouldn't admit to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ireland

"Now that shot took some imagination," cooed Weiskopf after Mickelson launched an astonishing four wood that barely rose above waist height as it flew 200 yards from the middle of the fairway straight to the heart of the green.

"Uhuh," said Mickeslon with a sheepish grin. "It's just something I've been working on."

Never mind the Californian's modesty. The marshals on duty at a nearby fairway crossing point were still babbling enthusiastically about this solitary sensational shot hours later.
    Lefty's no chance. That shot, it's called a thin! He was sheepish coz he didn't mean it. I'll bet he put a smile on his Pro V1x. I've hit it several times, mostly when I have a carrry to make. Just wait until he tries it when the lights are on and the world watching! Watch it baloon into the gorse and look closely for the sheepish grin then. Another thing, why hit a 4 wood? I thought that was for height and manouverability. A drilled 1 iron is the shot Mr. M. Or a 3 wood down the shaft.

As for the Marshalls, they were probably between G&Ts. They still talk about Tony Jacklin and Persimmon headed drivers. All members of the Peter Allis club, to a man.

Lefty can hit all the practice shots he wants. He's pretty good at miracle shots (like the time he hit a bunker shot over his head backwards onto the green). He'll also hit a lot of those lob wedges from the edge of the green, but I reckon over four days his game will not hold up. I hope to be proved wrong (I actually like the fella) but I think his game will not suit Troon. I'd be really impressed if he was able to keep all his shots down (Dalyesque at St. Andrews). He is a good putter and that may save him (Stop backtracking!!!).

No chance for the south paw! I'll be watching.

"SPECTATORS, marshals and even his playing partners, Jim Furyk and Tom Weiskopf, gasped in admiration on the 11th hole at Royal Troon yesterday morning as Phil Mickelson unveiled the 'secret weapon' that could transform the US Masters champ into a real contender at the British Open.

If Tiger Woods has his 'stinger', then Mickelson has added a missile to his armoury, giving him an opportunity to cheat the wind which will whistle across the links at Royal Troon this week. "

Looks like the man is stepping up to the plate.........
    Irish(es):

Tell us about the 11th hole.

Length?

Layout?

Distinguishing characteristics??

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    Irish(es):

Tell us about the 11th hole.

Length?

Layout?

Distinguishing characteristics??
    The 11th Hole—"Railway" (Par 4, 488 yards from the championship tees): It’s back into the wind with a long, albeit straight, narrow hole. With an out-of-bounds along the railways tracks just right of the fairway for the length of the hole, and thick gorse rough paralleling the left side, any errant shot on the way to the green means serious trouble. In the ’97 British Open the 11th lived up to its #1 handicap rating as most difficult hole on the course.

So you can see the dilemna, OB right, jungle left, headwind blowing - driver for distance or iron to keep it in play, pick an iron and you've automatically made it a par 5, pick the driver and hey who knows as Irish sez could see an 11, definetely see some snowmen ..
    Last edited by Dave Ireland; 07-13-2004 at 04:30 AM.

11th hole

To support dave, attached is the strokesaver image of the hole. Any player good performance on this hole during the four rounds of The Open will make a real difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Fede_Spain

Arnie at Troon 1962

Just read a great personal interest story, I would've posted the hyper link but it is from a subscription service, so apologies but it's worth it : Courtesy Irish Independent

WHILE practising for the British Open at Royal Troon in 1989, Arnold Palmer was approached by a newspaper photographer who asked him to pose beside the plaque on the 11th hole. Ever helpful, Palmer thrashed about in the gorse in the belief that the commemorate stone had become overgrown.

Unable to find it, he called to his caddie Tip Anderson, who was waiting patiently some distance away. "Hey Tip, where's that plaque?," he enquired. "About 200 miles away," came the reply. "You're on the wrong course." Confused by the befuddled photographer, Palmer had been thinking of the plaque on the 16th at Royal Birkdale, commemorating his dramatic recovery from rough as he surged to a first Open triumph in 1961.

But his memory remains razor-sharp about other aspects of Troon, where victory in 1962 made him the first American to retain the Open since Walter Hagen in 1929. As it happened, the immediate aftermath of the '62 Open was to assume an almost surreal dimension when Palmer battled with prostate cancer 35 years later.

We are informed that a stampeding crowd, showing "a revolting disregard for stewards and police", closed in on the final pairing of Palmer and Kel Nagle. This was the climax to a championship in which Pat Ward-Thomas of The Guardian reported that Palmer had produced "the greatest exhibition of golfing supremacy Britain has seen in modern times."

Anderson took the six-stroke triumph over Nagle a stage further when, 30 years later, he described it as "the greatest Arnold Palmer has ever played in his life". And in the process, the charismatic American gained sweet revenge for the Centenary Open in 1960 at St Andrews where, after victories in the US Masters and US Open, his attempt at completing a third leg of the Grand Slam was blighted by the Australian.

On reading reports of the chaos on the 72nd hole of the 1962 Open, one can only speculate as to the problems a certain 10-year-old Scottish lad named Ian Hay must have faced as he attempted to get close to the final green. His objective was to obtain the autograph of this amazing American who had shot a record aggregate of 276.

Either as parents or fascinated observers, we adults have long been forced to acknowledge the remarkable resourcefulness of children. So we can imagine young Hay squirming between grown-ups' legs to reach his quarry. And by way of proving his own success and the American's irrepressible love of people, he had the evidence of a photograph published subsequently in the Glasgow Evening Citizen.

Palmer, of course, went on to bring many other magical moments to the Open with top-10 finishes in 1966, '68, '72 and '77. Finally, there was a tearful farewell in 1995 at St Andrews where another two-time winner of the title, Lee Trevino, also had his swansong.

Early in 1997, the year the Open was last staged at Troon, Palmer's countless admirers throughout the golfing world were stunned by news of his illness. On the recommendation of his life-long friend Mark McCormack, he went to the Mayo Clinic for a special consultation. That was where he met an internal medical expert who had a rather special photograph hanging on the wall of his consulting rooms.

"It was Ian Hay, the same youngster who went looking for my autograph back in 1962," Palmer told me when we met on one of his visits to The K Club. "Imagine that!" By an astonishing turn of events, Hay had grown up to become a doctor, eventually finding his way to the famous Mayo Clinic. And it was there that he acted as Palmer's medical adviser 35 years after their meeting at Troon.

"I describe Ian as my quarter-back," Palmer went on. "If you go to a clinic it's nice to have a man who watches everything you do. And Ian got me to the right doctor and then watched what happened when I was there being operated on.

"Then, when I got out, he kept track of my progress with my local doctor. In various check-ups since, I've been told that everything is OK. So I always say he's the best quarter-back in the league. He's an internal medicine man who knows the right people to treat your particular complaint.

"I honestly believe that this is just another example of the tremendous good fortune I've had in my life because I talk to people. I find if you're nice to people, it always comes back to you, one way or another."

Tiger in Govan

Another snippet for ya :

Tiger's guidance system reportedly let him down on Sunday. When a mix-up over his arrival time left Woods without a lift from the airport, he decided to rent a car and drive himself to the golf course but took a wrong turn and got lost in Glasgow city centre.
    Imagine Tiger ending up in Govan, with Rab C Nesbitt and Wee Bernie. "Eyy Tigeer, fancy a wee sip o ma Irn Bru, big yin" or "Got any jellies, big man?". I think even the World's no. 1 would have had trouble extracating himself from that lie.

Great story

Just read a great personal interest story, I would've posted the hyper link but it is from a subscription service, so apologies but it's worth it : Courtesy Irish Independent

WHILE practising for the British Open at Royal Troon in 1989, Arnold Palmer was approached by a newspaper photographer who asked him to pose beside the plaque on the 11th hole. Ever helpful, Palmer thrashed about in the gorse in the belief that the commemorate stone had become overgrown.

Unable to find it, he called to his caddie Tip Anderson, who was waiting patiently some distance away. "Hey Tip, where's that plaque?," he enquired. "About 200 miles away," came the reply. "You're on the wrong course." Confused by the befuddled photographer, Palmer had been thinking of the plaque on the 16th at Royal Birkdale, commemorating his dramatic recovery from rough as he surged to a first Open triumph in 1961.

But his memory remains razor-sharp about other aspects of Troon, where victory in 1962 made him the first American to retain the Open since Walter Hagen in 1929. As it happened, the immediate aftermath of the '62 Open was to assume an almost surreal dimension when Palmer battled with prostate cancer 35 years later.

We are informed that a stampeding crowd, showing "a revolting disregard for stewards and police", closed in on the final pairing of Palmer and Kel Nagle. This was the climax to a championship in which Pat Ward-Thomas of The Guardian reported that Palmer had produced "the greatest exhibition of golfing supremacy Britain has seen in modern times."

Anderson took the six-stroke triumph over Nagle a stage further when, 30 years later, he described it as "the greatest Arnold Palmer has ever played in his life". And in the process, the charismatic American gained sweet revenge for the Centenary Open in 1960 at St Andrews where, after victories in the US Masters and US Open, his attempt at completing a third leg of the Grand Slam was blighted by the Australian.

On reading reports of the chaos on the 72nd hole of the 1962 Open, one can only speculate as to the problems a certain 10-year-old Scottish lad named Ian Hay must have faced as he attempted to get close to the final green. His objective was to obtain the autograph of this amazing American who had shot a record aggregate of 276.

Either as parents or fascinated observers, we adults have long been forced to acknowledge the remarkable resourcefulness of children. So we can imagine young Hay squirming between grown-ups' legs to reach his quarry. And by way of proving his own success and the American's irrepressible love of people, he had the evidence of a photograph published subsequently in the Glasgow Evening Citizen.

Palmer, of course, went on to bring many other magical moments to the Open with top-10 finishes in 1966, '68, '72 and '77. Finally, there was a tearful farewell in 1995 at St Andrews where another two-time winner of the title, Lee Trevino, also had his swansong.

Early in 1997, the year the Open was last staged at Troon, Palmer's countless admirers throughout the golfing world were stunned by news of his illness. On the recommendation of his life-long friend Mark McCormack, he went to the Mayo Clinic for a special consultation. That was where he met an internal medical expert who had a rather special photograph hanging on the wall of his consulting rooms.

"It was Ian Hay, the same youngster who went looking for my autograph back in 1962," Palmer told me when we met on one of his visits to The K Club. "Imagine that!" By an astonishing turn of events, Hay had grown up to become a doctor, eventually finding his way to the famous Mayo Clinic. And it was there that he acted as Palmer's medical adviser 35 years after their meeting at Troon.

"I describe Ian as my quarter-back," Palmer went on. "If you go to a clinic it's nice to have a man who watches everything you do. And Ian got me to the right doctor and then watched what happened when I was there being operated on.

"Then, when I got out, he kept track of my progress with my local doctor. In various check-ups since, I've been told that everything is OK. So I always say he's the best quarter-back in the league. He's an internal medicine man who knows the right people to treat your particular complaint.

"I honestly believe that this is just another example of the tremendous good fortune I've had in my life because I talk to people. I find if you're nice to people, it always comes back to you, one way or another."
    Dave:

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is indeed a small world after all....

I have attended several tournaments in which Arnold Palmer competed. It is indeed amazing the utter patience he had with fans.

I think he had a mindset that said his "job description" included two hours of fan interaction/autograph signing after each and every round. Think of how burdensome this would be - when you are tired or have had a bad round - staying out there with a smile on your face - signing away....

It would be interesting to know....

The 11th Hole—"Railway" (Par 4, 488 yards from the championship tees): It’s back into the wind with a long, albeit straight, narrow hole. With an out-of-bounds along the railways tracks just right of the fairway for the length of the hole, and thick gorse rough paralleling the left side, any errant shot on the way to the green means serious trouble. In the ’97 British Open the 11th lived up to its #1 handicap rating as most difficult hole on the course.

So you can see the dilemna, OB right, jungle left, headwind blowing - driver for distance or iron to keep it in play, pick an iron and you've automatically made it a par 5, pick the driver and hey who knows as Irish sez could see an 11, definetely see some snowmen ..
    It would be interesting to know the "11th hole performance" of past Open winners at Troon. If the hole is as ghastly as it looks - maybe hitting iron off the tee and playing for bogey is not a bad strategy. Take a bogey (avoid disaster) or maybe get up and down for par - and go on....

Perhaps past Troon winners played the hole +2 or +3 (for the tournament) and made it up on the other holes....

Just reading thru some stuff about Arnie and Troon 1962, while Arnie marched his way around to a 6 shot victory the Big Bear was signing for a 10 on the 11th in the final round.

Meanwhile Freddie Couples holed 6 iron 2nd shot there in 1997, that's the good and the bad sorted , just gonna find me some ugly now !!

Take a 5 and move on.

Spot on Dave. An Alan Hansen like analysis of the situation. My tuppence...

Depending on the wind I can see a lot of the guys just playing for 5 or even taking 6. However it is not even an easy bogey as you still have to be accurate off the tee and with the second, not easy if you are hitting into any sort of wind. Trouble is there that if you hit the iron and miss you have so much more ground to make up (490ish into the wind, more like 550). Meaning you may not even get up in 3. This will mentally torture a lot of the players, before and after.

Maybe this is being hyped up too much (how unlike me!!) but I hope it blows hard on at least one day and we shall see its teeth!

.......Maybe this is being hyped up too much (how unlike me!!) but I hope it blows hard on at least one day and we shall see its teeth!
    Wait'll ya see Irish it'll play downwind all 4 days !. Tiger will play it wedge,wedge and you and I will havta go incognito for a while...... can see ya wearing the groucho marx moustache and glasses already ......... (ooops might look like that anyways ;) )

Arnie's Multimedia Army

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    Dave:

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is indeed a small world after all....

I have attended several tournaments in which Arnold Palmer competed. It is indeed amazing the utter patience he had with fans.

I think he had a mindset that said his "job description" included two hours of fan interaction/autograph signing after each and every round. Think of how burdensome this would be - when you are tired or have had a bad round - staying out there with a smile on your face - signing away....
    Check out http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7013852.html for some Hot Arnie Action...

Evening Times is the local Glasgow evening rag / newspaper. Should also be good for the softer story headlines like "Monty caught in Burger Embarassment" or "Tiger takes wrong turn into Ghetto hell" or "Darren's night of passion made me want to take up golf!"

anyone spotted wearing sandals?

Quote Originally Posted by Babuk Ghuman
    anyone spotted wearing sandals?
    Ewwwwwww.......... don't be so sordid. Anyways we don't do sandals this side of the water, too bleedin cold ... well ya could if ya wore 5 pairs of socks.... be like walking in a double duvet tho.......strictly shoes, wellies or stilletoes (rubber spiked of course)

Ewwwwwww.......... don't be so sordid. Anyways we don't do sandals this side of the water, too bleedin cold ... well ya could if ya wore 5 pairs of socks.... be like walking in a double duvet tho.......strictly shoes, wellies or stilletoes (rubber spiked of course)
    Iron covers?

Open Week and its now getting serious. All the qualifying is over, the players are gathering and the sphincter muscles are tightening!!

I played yesterday (I'm about 70 miles as the seagull flies from Troon) and the fresh seaside breeze was certainly a tester (at least 3 clubs on some holes). Forecast for Troon is pretty good from what I can see, the winds will be light . However I still think it will be a factor (it is rarely benign) and it does tend to come up in the afternoon more, so tee times will be important. Course looks fantastic, quoting www.opengolf.com

"Without exception the players who have already enjoyed practice rounds at Royal Troon have been glowing in their praise for the condition and set up of the course.Mark Calcavecchia (The Hammer Thrower), the Champion here in 1989, said the greens were the best he had ever seen at an Open Championship."

Morning draw of the day for Thursday is Justin Leonard, Ernie Els and Luke Donald (7.58am)

Afternoon watchers should pencil in Tiger Woods, Lee Westwood and Greg Norman (13.42pm).

Also watch out for Darren Clarke, Adam Scott and Kenny Perry (12:36pm).

Mulling it over at the weekend I have thown my picks for the week:

Ames, Harrington, Leonard, but my hot tip is Michael Campbell (Kiwi legend!!). You heard it here first. I watched him at Loch lomond and he is stripeing the ball at the moment. He's been a bit off the boil and is a patchy player but mark mt words. The bookies are certainly going to get some of my dosh on this playa.

Card wrecker will be 11th!! I expect at least one 10.

Michael Campbell? Remember that amazing bunker shot at St. Andrews? From an article I found:
    He was a rising star five years ago when he burst onto the scene at St. Andrews, bouncing his shot off the sodded wall in the pot bunker on the famed 17th hole for an incredible par that gave him a three-shot lead going into the final round.

He finished third, behind John Daly, but a bright future awaited. Invitations came from Japan, Indonesia, Spain and Australia. Campbell played them all, so much that his left wrist began to suffer the stress.

- Dave

Els Bells !

There was trouble at the ranch yesterday in Royal Troon, Els flew into a blind fury when told that "some high USGA officials" had accused him of "giving up" in the last round of the recent US Open.

Courtesy Irish Independent :

Els was so pumped-up it's probably fortunate that the individuals concerned have an ocean between themselves and Els right now.

"They shouldn't have said that," raged Ernie, whose victory hopes at Shinnecock were wrecked when he posted an 80 on the final day as his playing partner, Retief Goosen, went on to claim a second US Open title with a closing 71.

"That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life," Els fumed.

"I've never given up on any round of golf in my life. If I did give up, I would have shot a hundred. I mean, that's ridiculous."

Els then slammed the USGA for "losing the plot" with their controversial course set-up at Shinnecock that final day. "You know what, they have got no idea," he said of American golf's controlling body.

"To take one of the best golf courses in this entire world and to make it a farce like that - they have got egg on their face, is all I can say," said Els, before adding: "I'd like to meet the guy that said that." ..............

*Gulp* .....actually for the fun of it they should name and shame that geezer .....

The Goose

I think a sackful of posts since his US Open win alluded to Goosen's on course demeanour, here's the latest from him at The Open

Goosen, meanwhile, has such a cool exterior that Tom Weiskopf joked yesterday: "You feel like putting a mirror under his nose to make sure he's still breathing!"

The US Open champ, who relishes the quiet life and being able to have an uninterrupted pint in his London local, smiled yesterday at the suggestion that he's not he most colourful or demonstrative player on tour.

"Everyone has their style of playing around the golf course. Tiger used to get involved when he made putts and things like that but even he has tuned-down a bit and there's not quite so many fist pumps as there used to be.

"But yeah, you have your older guys, like Darren Clarke, trying to be more colourful now with their hair cuts and £300 pairs of trousers that are so ugly you daren't even think about it. Generally, once I get out on the course, I'm so involved in what I do that it can be difficult to just let go," said Goosen.

"Off the course, I'm pretty open when I'm around my friends but when I'm around other people I don't just show it that much."

....... I think he just unplugs his batteries after a round.... Robo Golfer........

There was trouble at the ranch yesterday in Royal Troon, Els flew into a blind fury when told that "some high USGA officials" had accused him of "giving up" in the last round of the recent US Open.

Els was so pumped-up it's probably fortunate that the individuals concerned have an ocean between themselves and Els right now.

"They shouldn't have said that," raged Ernie, whose victory hopes at Shinnecock were wrecked when he posted an 80 on the final day as his playing partner, Retief Goosen, went on to claim a second US Open title with a closing 71.

"That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life," Els fumed.

"I've never given up on any round of golf in my life. If I did give up, I would have shot a hundred. I mean, that's ridiculous."

Els then slammed the USGA for "losing the plot" with their controversial course set-up at Shinnecock that final day. "You know what, they have got no idea," he said of American golf's controlling body.

"To take one of the best golf courses in this entire world and to make it a farce like that - they have got egg on their face, is all I can say," said Els, before adding: "I'd like to meet the guy that said that." ..............

*Gulp* .....actually for the fun of it they should name and shame that geezer .....

The people at the USGA responsible for setting up the course are Deflecting their utter ineptitude towards Els - a former champion. He's not a quitter...

I think a sackful of posts since his US Open win alluded to Goosen's on course demeanour, here's the latest from him at The Open

Goosen, meanwhile, has such a cool exterior that Tom Weiskopf joked yesterday: "You feel like putting a mirror under his nose to make sure he's still breathing!"

The US Open champ, who relishes the quiet life and being able to have an uninterrupted pint in his London local, smiled yesterday at the suggestion that he's not he most colourful or demonstrative player on tour.

"Everyone has their style of playing around the golf course. Tiger used to get involved when he made putts and things like that but even he has tuned-down a bit and there's not quite so many fist pumps as there used to be.

"But yeah, you have your older guys, like Darren Clarke, trying to be more colourful now with their hair cuts and £300 pairs of trousers that are so ugly you daren't even think about it. Generally, once I get out on the course, I'm so involved in what I do that it can be difficult to just let go," said Goosen.

"Off the course, I'm pretty open when I'm around my friends but when I'm around other people I don't just show it that much."

....... I think he just unplugs his batteries after a round.... Robo Golfer........

GREAT coverage guys. The Open starts tomorrow.

Keep your batteries warm and let us know who shot well in their warmups yesterday and today to the extent you can find out.

Irish - you called it about Campbell!! Currently tied for third...

Thread Information