|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Scramble Strategy

Our office is sending a team to a charity scramble next monday. Unfortunately, our "good" golfer can't make it, so here is our squad:

Me- 12 handicap, long off the tee, occasionally erratic
    BD- Shoots in the high 90's, short but fairly consistent and straight
    JD- Wildly erratic, occasionally pulls off unbelievable shots, shoots 100-110
    CW- Female, has played twice. Happy when the ball goes forward

Obviously we won't win, but I'd like to not come in last and hopefully shoot under par. Any advice on hitting order? Putting order? Any other strategies (we need to each use 2 drives, which could be a really problem)?
    Driver--Callaway Big Bertha 460 (Go big or go home)
    3 Wood--Meridian
    Hybrid--Callaway Heavenwood 2H
    3-PW--Meridian
    SW--Cleveland (the old kind that rusts)
    60°--NIke Forged
    Putter--Ping CraZ

cheat........

no, just kidding. you are the best in the group,so try to anchor every shot, in other words dont play until someone is in the fairway or made a good shot then you will have less pressure to make a smooth swing. best of luck !!!

Got to agree with Dennis, never been to a scramble that was on the up and up. I've seen teams shoot something awful and come into the club house at -12. My only advice is put your long hitter last and your most accurate hitter first. Find out if they give a prize for last place.

Dr. Tatternuts

A little off the subject, but I played in a scramble a few weeks back where they sold mulligans (2 per person) and string (up to 10 ft. per person). No one in my group had played this format before and I was the only one who had played the course before (once).

We shot -8 and thought well, we're not going to win, but at least we're respectable. Bullshat! the clowns that won it posted -25 (47) and there were plenty in the low to mid 50's. I devoted some time to doing the math on that one and decided that it was possible, only if you have a couple of scratch golfers in your group and use the mulligans and string perfectly.

I'm not ready to pounce on anyone's integrity, but we observed some of these people on the range prior to the start and I didn't see any tour prospects out there.

Regardless, great fun, traditional slooooow play of the scramble allowed us to go through about two cases of beer before it was all said and done.

MGS

Footnote: Use of the string, if you put your tee shot within 4 ft on a par three, you cut off 4 ft of your string and card an ace.
    "Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into a even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose." -Winston Churchill

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingHarder
    Our office is sending a team to a charity scramble next monday. Unfortunately, our "good" golfer can't make it, so here is our squad:

Me- 12 handicap, long off the tee, occasionally erratic
    BD- Shoots in the high 90's, short but fairly consistent and straight
    JD- Wildly erratic, occasionally pulls off unbelievable shots, shoots 100-110
    CW- Female, has played twice. Happy when the ball goes forward

Obviously we won't win, but I'd like to not come in last and hopefully shoot under par. Any advice on hitting order? Putting order? Any other strategies (we need to each use 2 drives, which could be a really problem)?
    I wanna play!!
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Usually they flight it, so if you shoot maybe 1 or 2 under you'll win a prize. If you go a little lower than that you won't. My dad (18 handicap) and I played in a 3 man scramble a couple of months ago. (our 3rd guy was a no-show) and we managed a 67 on a tough track and didn't win squat. a 70 & a 72 did. lame

We'd love to have you, Bj. Unfortunately, I didn't make the team, I just play.

That string game sounds interesting. I could see a solid team posting -20 or lower in that system. If they can hit every green in regulation (very doable), all they need to do is putt inside a couple feet and they can use the string to get birdie. Sounds fun.
    3 Wood--Meridian
    3-PW--Meridian
    60°--NIke Forged
    Putter--Ping CraZ

that is quite interesting. would be fun. Dad & I actually hit all 18 GIR and only made 5/18 birdie putts. haha

yes but the string only lasts so long you have to get rid of the amount of string for the length of the putt. you start w 10 ft of string use it for a 5 footer now you have 5 ft left.
    im a strong believer that if you do not cheat the winners will. im a 12 or 13 handicap and if you give me 4 shots from all good lies for every shot i will not be 20 under, yes we can play the best ball but it was still hit by an amateur. my .02

Dennis, it sounds like you and I are about equal, skillwise. And if I were in a group with 3 other guys my level, at least one of us is going hit his approach on the green. And if we don't make the putt, at least one of us is going lag it within a foot or two. If you each have ten feet of string, it's going to last a while at that rate and you guarantee yourself at least a birdie on every hole. If you're using your string for 5-foot putts, you need to re-think your strategy.
    3 Wood--Meridian
    3-PW--Meridian
    60°--NIke Forged
    Putter--Ping CraZ

ok if every one bought the string for 20.00 yes you are correct,but living in florida i have played in hundreds of scrambles and not everyone does. why buy mull and string when the same foursome always cheats. also you use the string if every one in your group misses the putt which happens quite often at our level. anyway its a good arguement either way i think.

The string and mulligan format was great fun, I just wish we had known about it before playing. It takes some strategy to get the most out of it and we didn't use them to maximum advantage.

The value of using the string on a five footer is that by using the string it scores as if you holed the approach shot, not as a made putt.

Great format, especially for scrambles for charities and other types of fund raising events, mulligans $5 a piece and string $1 per foot. Just put it out there to see if anyone had seen that before.

MGS
    "Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into a even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose." -Winston Churchill

thanks i wasnt sure how the string worked, but you still have to stick it close unless you buy 30 ft. anyway interesting concept.

one of my clients just left my office,he told me in a scramble this weekend his team posted a 6 under round. The winning team posted a 49,no mulligans and no string a phucking 49. i have never seen a 49. they claim to have had 5 eagles.
    BULLSHITE IS WHAT I SAY !!

Quote Originally Posted by DENNIS7180GOLF
    cheat........

In light of that (the 49), you're intial advice may be the best way to go.
    Last edited by southernm31; 06-11-2007 at 01:15 PM.

I don't believe that for a second.

49? I call Shenanigans!
    3 Wood--Meridian
    3-PW--Meridian
    60°--NIke Forged
    Putter--Ping CraZ

Agreed, 47 with the mulligan and string BS, certainly possible, 49 with five eagles without the add-ons, no facking way.

MGS

Well, I take that back. If I, Omen2, Horseballs, & TmacG scrambled we could probably pull it off. ;)

Was the 49 after the adjustments for handicaps?
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

no standard scramble,no handicaps. bulllllshite ! ! im glad there are others who agree that there is massive cheating in a scramble.

49 is total crap. I have zero expectations when playing in scrambles because of the unbelievable cheating. I played in a scramble where 3 out of 4 guys were lights out and we lost by 5 strokes. We posted a -14 and I can't imagine doing much better since the course was hardly a pitch and putt.

BTW, I'm gone for like 5 days and everyone becomes whiny b!tches? Come on GR, you're better than this.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

agreed ... i played my scramble yesterday...

it was 50 old... OLD ... retired cops.... on the range they were going nuts over my pw distance.... a mind boggling 140 yards.... john and i were by far the only ones we saw on the range that could break a 100 so we liked our chances.

we end up with 7 birdies and one bogey... he hit a drive 290 on the longest drive hole... but there was one that was out there 350. So we figured there were some monsters we didn't see.

the winning score .... -12 ??? what... there were only 5 guys in the thing that were under 50... no strings and no mulligans....
    then long drive ... it was a 77 year old guy that could barely walk??? what the phuck.... even from the senior tees he would have had to hit it 250+

WHAT CHEATING? ... i had a good putter, ended up makeing 5 or our 7 birdies... but then again i had three reads on the putt before i hit it..so

yeah scrambles are good times to drink a beer, eat a steak, and hit a couple golf shots.

IF BJ, HORSE, TMAC, AND I WERE IN A SCRAMBLE... IT WOULD BE A 42... PROBABLY LOWER IF HORSE AND I WOULD SACRIFICE OUR 32'S FOR THE 25'S... THE ADDED FORGIVENESS WOULD MAKE FOR A COUPLE MORE HOLE OUTS FROM THE FAIRWAY... BUT AS EGO HAS IT 42 IS WHAT WE WOULD SHOOT
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Thread Information