|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Bounce on wedges - HELP!!!

I have been using the same lob wedge for about 4 years (adams tom watson / 60 loft, 7 bounce) - I have had a bit of luck) now I have an opportunity to upgrade - (credit card points) to get me Titleist Spin Milled, but only offered 60-04. I regularly use it from tighter lies - fringe, short of green fairway, not too often from the deep stuff - is this a good bounce for me - clueless. Also - what is difference Chrome v. Oil Canned - looks only??? - Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Kotes
    I have been using the same lob wedge for about 4 years (adams tom watson / 60 loft, 7 bounce) - I have had a bit of luck) now I have an opportunity to upgrade - (credit card points) to get me Titleist Spin Milled, but only offered 60-04. I regularly use it from tighter lies - fringe, short of green fairway, not too often from the deep stuff - is this a good bounce for me - clueless. Also - what is difference Chrome v. Oil Canned - looks only??? - Thanks in advance...

You will have a tendency to "dig" into the ground more with the Spin Milled(SM). This is actually better for the type of ground you say you play off of. The SM will make it easier to hit the ball crisp and you will find yourseld hitting less thin shots and blades over the green.

The only place you would want more bounce would be if you were playing from soft ground.

The only differance between those 2 SM wedges is the finish. They will play the exact same, just look different.

Good luck and enjoy the new wedge!.

Sincerely,

JS
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

JS nailed it right on the head. The two looks really have nothing to do with how they play but the oil can finish may need some taking care of. The oil can finish will wear off the more you play with it and will rust easier. The traditional finish is very nice and you dont need to worry about it rusting and stuff.

TmacG
    RCC Saskatchewan, Canada

I have a high bounce SW and low bounce Lob to play different lies and sand types.

Harder the sand the more I use the 60-4 rather than the 56-8.

I will say the Vokley SM 60-4 is a go to club.
    Cobra 350 SS Stiff / HM Tour shaft (mid Kick)
    Cobra SZ 3wood
    Nickent 3DX Hybrid
    MacGregor VIP Tourney 3 -PW
    Mizuno MP20 52 and 56
    Titleist Vokey 60
    STX Black Putter.

Pro V1 or Titleist NXT

The Oil Can finish will last until you actually start to hit balls with it. Then it almost immediately wears off the sole, and any areas on the face where you make ball contact. Then it leaves a raw finish which will start to rust. It will also eventually start to rust in the non-ball-contact areas, but it takes longer.

I've had three wedge models with milled faces; they all spin the ball somewhat better than conventional faces. The biggest difference I noticed was that greenside pitches and chips checked up faster, so you could throw the ball closer to the pin and expect a faster stop.
    Last edited by dorkman53; 07-06-2007 at 07:06 AM.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Dorkman, just curious if you know how many minutes it takes, after first ball hit, for the club to rust. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    Dorkman, just curious if you know how many minutes it takes, after first ball hit, for the club to rust. ;-)
    It takes 2 minutes, 37.94 seconds to start rusting in humid climates. In dry, desert climates, it won't start until 7 minutes, 47.83 seconds.

Seriously, though, the thing about rust is that you may start to notice it within a few days of wearing the oil can coat off on the face and sole, but every time you hit the ball, you wear the rust off, too. It's really not a big deal. Some people are convinced that the rust gives them extra spin, but it's more likely just the softer metal that also just happens to rust easily.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

THe only thin it's ever given me is tetanus.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    It takes 2 minutes, 37.94 seconds to start rusting in humid climates. In dry, desert climates, it won't start until 7 minutes, 47.83 seconds.

Seriously, though, the thing about rust is that you may start to notice it within a few days of wearing the oil can coat off on the face and sole, but every time you hit the ball, you wear the rust off, too. It's really not a big deal. Some people are convinced that the rust gives them extra spin, but it's more likely just the softer metal that also just happens to rust easily.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Kotes
    I think the less bounce in wedges the better. It decreases your chances of getting hit on the rebound when you throw them.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information