|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Need Driver Advice.

Hey, what do you guys reccomend for a driver?
    First which is better out of the Titleist 905r, 905s, and 905t?
    And the Cobra X/Speed.
    What would you guys use?

The Ping Rapture. It's not listed but it should be.

I agree it is a great club, but at the same time too expensive. Even though it is last years model it is still pretty expensive.

If the ones you listed are your only choices the either the 905S or 905r. If money is an issue and you would something new, I would look into the Nickent 4DX tour spec. It can be purchased new for about $269. It's getting a lot of press on the Nattionwide tour so it may be worth a look.

There are a huge amount of drivers that are available for under $150 that are a year or two old and hit for maybe 3-5 rounds. Just look on eBay or globalgolf.com. I'm not a salesman or anything but I bought a Titleist driver from globalgolf.com and am loving it! 983k!!

I have to second that. A 983K is a great driver. I still have one even though I play a Ping Rapture right now. Globalgolf is a pretty awesome place to get great equipment cheap. One other driver worth mentioning is the Mizuno Mx-500. Globalgolf has them at great prices right now and it is a very nice driver that is often overlooked since Mizuno is so well known for their irons.

of the ones you listed i would go with the 905r... but if your open to suggestions then i would also look for a Cleveland Launcher comp the only downside to buying a Cleveland right now is that they are probably being sold...

8. Of the drivers you have listed, I have heard the most positive reviews from the 905R users. I don't see many people playing with a different Titty driver, unless it's an older model pre 905 era.

IMHO- Every cobra driver is a waste of money.

Each one I have held, hit, or heard, has left me feeling like I should take up knitting just for being in the general vicinity of these "golf clubs".

If I was in your position I would try to demo all the clubs I can because the ones you listed may not work as well as say, a Taylormade Burner, Superquad, 425TP, FT-5, or a TEE. I know you probably want one of those drivers because they look good but performance outweighs looks when you're standing on the 18th hole of the last round of the Club Championship and you have to hit a long straight driver in the fairway to avoid water, bunkers, and OB.

It doesn't really matter what your driver looks like if you hit it like a fool.

So to recap IMO:

-905R is the best driver you listed.
    -Try to demo a bunch of drivers as you will most likely find one that performs better than the Titleist drivers. I'm not bashing Titleist, I'm just saying what will likely happen.
    -Forget about looks and go for the one you are comfortable and confident with.

Hope I helped a little, good luck with the driver search.

Im not in for a new driver to use all the time. This season can bring some pretty bad winds where I live and I usually keep 2 drivers in my locker. One that is 10.5 for the normal days, and then one that is 8 or 8.5 for the windy days to keep it low and out of the wind. My main driver is a Callaway X460 or Nike SQ460. That is why I dont wanna spend a lot because it will only be used as an alternate depending on weather conditions.

10. Quote Originally Posted by littlehuth13
    Im not in for a new driver to use all the time. This season can bring some pretty bad winds where I live and I usually keep 2 drivers in my locker. One that is 10.5 for the normal days, and then one that is 8 or 8.5 for the windy days to keep it low and out of the wind. My main driver is a Callaway X460 or Nike SQ460. That is why I dont wanna spend a lot because it will only be used as an alternate depending on weather conditions.

In that case, why not try to get a low lofted component head and stick a low launch shaft in it?

Assuming it's set up like most courses ABOUT 1/2 of the holes should be downwind and 1/2 should be into the wind. Downwind you'd want more loft. So, putting an 8.5 in your bag on windy days isn't necessarily a good thing.

If you still want one check out golfsmith, austads, etc. and their outlet or used club sections. You can get great clubs for $150 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by littlehuth13
    if thats your reason for wanting a new driver then just learn to controll your trajectory... serioulsy it would be much more beneficial...

Ping G10...its at my store...

Quote Originally Posted by littlehuth13
    Hey, what do you guys reccomend for a driver?
    First which is better out of the Titleist 905r, 905s, and 905t?
    And the Cobra X/Speed.
    What would you guys use?
    I'd say go for a titleist and go for either the s or t. They are both much cheaper than the r as they are older models and I don't really believe that golf companies keep coming out with better drivers every year. From what I've read the r is a compromise between the s and t anyway, so if you get the model that suits your game best, chances are it will be more suitable than the r anyway.

As for Cobra's, I think they set up with a closed face and haven't heard anybody say anything good about them. Stick with Titleist.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

To me there is no doubt that the 905R is the best driver in your list.

It was one of the drivers I demoed two months ago among others when I decided to buy a driver (I've been playing a 3 wood and 1 Iron for years before that).

It took me two sessions to build a short list of 4 drivers (that to me are by far the best in terms of accuracy, tolerance and DISTANCE).

There it is:

Ping Rapture
    Cleveland Hibore XL
    Callaway Fusion FT 5
    Taylor Made R7 Supersquad

In the end I bought the HiBore XL because I have a better control of the ball with it.
    With the HiBore XL the balls fly more and roll less than the three others but in the end the overall distance is pretty much the same (awesome in other words).
    As the ball rolls less I can manage to land the ball in a short perimeter which I love!

Also I can manage to control fades and draws pretty easily.
    Notice that to me the Taylor Made R7 Supersquad and the Callaway Fusion FT 5 also have these specifics with a bit more tolerance than the HiBore XL.
    The Ping Rapture is to me the more tolerant of the list tough, and by far if you ask me.

Hope that'll help in your choice.
    Anyways these days drivers are AWESOME !!!!
    Driver: HiBore XL 9,5* Stiff
    3 Wood: Tour Model 15* Graphite
    Irons 2-SW: Ping Eye 2 True Temper
    Lob Wedge: Mizuno MP-T Black Nickel 60* True Temper
    Putter: Taylor Made Cb3

Quote Originally Posted by bobby the wood
    To me there is no doubt that the 905R is the best driver in your list.

It was one of the drivers I demoed two months ago among others when I decided to buy a driver (I've been playing a 3 wood and 1 Iron for years before that).

It took me two sessions to build a short list of 4 drivers (that to me are by far the best in terms of accuracy, tolerance and DISTANCE).

There it is:

Ping Rapture
    Cleveland Hibore XL
    Callaway Fusion FT 5
    Taylor Made R7 Supersquad

In the end I bought the HiBore XL because I have a better control of the ball with it.
    With the HiBore XL the balls fly more and roll less than the three others but in the end the overall distance is pretty much the same (awesome in other words).
    As the ball rolls less I can manage to land the ball in a short perimeter which I love!

Also I can manage to control fades and draws pretty easily.
    Notice that to me the Taylor Made R7 Supersquad and the Callaway Fusion FT 5 also have these specifics with a bit more tolerance than the HiBore XL.
    The Ping Rapture is to me the more tolerant of the list tough, and by far if you ask me.

Hope that'll help in your choice.
    Anyways these days drivers are AWESOME !!!!
    the only reason i wouldnt go with a Rapture is that its a high-spin driver and i think that he would like a lower spining head...

The Rapture is a low spin head, not high. The 905R is high spin, the T is lower, the S is lowest.

You guys need to get a fuking launch monitor and do some testing before posting.

I don't know what the spin rate of the head is but after hitting a few drivers I thought I got very low spin (at least watching my ball flight compared to others) with the Rapture and the By You shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    the only reason i wouldnt go with a Rapture is that its a high-spin driver and i think that he would like a lower spining head...

Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    The Rapture is a low spin head, not high. The 905R is high spin, the T is lower, the S is lowest.

You guys need to get a fuking launch monitor and do some testing before posting.
    it spun the highest for me... and i was on a LM... i was just assuming it was a higher spinning head because of that i guess it coulda been the shaft that was bringing up the spin rate...

Quote Originally Posted by Rainkingjr
    If the ones you listed are your only choices the either the 905S or 905r. If money is an issue and you would something new, I would look into the Nickent 4DX tour spec. It can be purchased new for about $269. It's getting a lot of press on the Nattionwide tour so it may be worth a look.
    I have had the Rapture custom made for me with an Accra shaft 8 months ago -hit it too high and virtually no run out so I ditched that for a custom fit Titleist D1.

That has been better, but although off centre hits went well, when i felt i had 'buttoned; one, it didnt go as well as i expected.

That is now on the shelf and i bought from the States a Nickent 4DX tour, 10 degree spec with a YS6+ stiff shaft. I have had 4 rounds with this combo and it is far and away a better performer than either the rapture or the D! !!!!!

Surprisingly very forgiving, but when out of the middle it is for me 5 to 10 yards better than either.

Regarding the Rapture (and it is way to much money) a Golf magazine in the UK compared the Rapture to the G5... and the G5 out perfromed the rapture in all departments.

Thread Information