|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

The Hurricane Sandy Status Report

This thing is massive and likely to combine with a strong front moving from the west, as well as cold Canadian air, producing the end of life as we know it, according to media sources. I've stocked up on supplies here in California and now sit and wait. The tsunami didn't get us this morning but I have a bad feeling about the hurricane.

It looks as though Homie might be out of power already. The rest of you east coasters may at some point lose power for an extended period. If possible, weigh in with anything exciting or dangerous. Also welcome are comments exposing this as not nearly the big deal being sold to us.

Those who are living close to the coastal areas should move away immediately, it will come down hard around mid-day Monday to mid-day Tues... We are in Newark DE and 1.5 hr drive from coastal area so it's less severe, but expect heavy rain and high wind, not a great day for golf,,, 3i can go about 100 yds ... we are expecting rain in the next 3 days

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Those who are living close to the coastal areas should move away immediately, it will come down hard around mid-day Monday to mid-day Tues... We are in Newark DE and 1.5 hr drive from coastal area so it's less severe, but expect heavy rain and high wind, not a great day for golf,,, 3i can go about 100 yds ... we are expecting rain in the next 3 days
    Be safe and photos of anything unusual would be appreciated.

We are extremely late in covering the swimming pool which is an anachronistic early '80's Sylvan in an approximate "S" shape which was probably the chic and sexy configuartion for inground pools when Reagan was systematically shutting down the Soviet Union but is a b*tch in reality when it comes to covering the bloody thing. So when the old lady got home from visiting folks up Nifty's way, we put the big rectangular cover over it with the water level still at summer levels. Just to keep the freaking leaves out of it because with the forecast rain and wind, all the bloody f*cking leaves still on the massive maples surrounding the pool will be blown off. When those useless but colorful f*ckers are all down, then I'll take the cover off and properly winterize it. 27,500 gallons is a lot of H2O to winterize. Damn.

Now earlier I was out at the field before the drizzle started just to hit my new 3 wood off a real tee in the turf instead of a the rubber mat range. Firstly, hitting in a northerly direction which was dead into the wind, I hit two 9 irons that carried 100 and 105 yards. About 25-30 yards shorter than in dead air. I hit a couple 3 woods next and they carried about 180 to 200 yards. Pretty good for me. Three of the four had a right tail resulting in about 20 yards right of target. The fourth which carried the longest was about five yards left of target Then downwind to the south I carried some 9 irons 140-150 and 3 woods 200 to 210. Then I figured out a little swing move to remove the fade from the equation and the last one I carried about 230 and headed home. All it took was to set up dead square and then close the shoulders about five degrees. I think I can remember that adjustment. If, after Sandy wreaks her havoc, there is ever golf again in the Mid Atlantic region.

The last time we lost electrical power was right before the fourth of July when it was out seven days. It was in the middle of 95 to 100 degree temps and the inside of our house was in the low to mid '90's. We survived. If it goes out this time, the temps should range from the mid 40's to mid '60's so it will be no big deal.

Maybe the power won't go out at all. That would be great. I like my electricity, cable TV and internet access. All the rest is just window dressing.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

With utilities having reset your expectations this summer and having warned everyone they could be without power for at least a week, I'd expect power to be out for at least a week. With trees missing leaves hopefully there won't be too much of a problem with trees down.

Don't go outside if the wind is 50+ because of the risk of projectiles. But if you do, try to hit a few and chart distances as you've just done. I'd be happy to graph them and caption it real nice for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    With utilities having reset your expectations this summer and having warned everyone they could be without power for at least a week, I'd expect power to be out for at least a week. With trees missing leaves hopefully there won't be too much of a problem with trees down.

Don't go outside if the wind is 50+ because of the risk of projectiles. But if you do, try to hit a few and chart distances as you've just done. I'd be happy to graph them and caption it real nice for posting.
    My new 3 wood is a Sonartec SS 2.5 14*. It came with a very unflexible Penley which I immediately pulled and put in a Prolite 3.5 HL regular flex. This is supposed to be a very high launch shaft but in that head it I hit laser-like bullets with flights reminiscent of RPG's. I have a real variety of balls in my shag bag but the real star into the wind is the 2012 Titleist DT SoLo. Highly recommended pellet for hurricane, cyclone, typhoon or tornado play.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Hello from Disney!

We flew out of JFK yesterday morning, arrived in west palm beach at noon. A few bumps on the flight, thats all. Staying down here for 10 days, so i dont give a **** if my power goes out. They'll have it fixed by the time i'm home anyway.

I hope you guys upnorth fare OK!

BTW, 18 holes at the Palm course in 3 1/2 hrs!!!
    Shot a 91.
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Hello from Disney!

We flew out of JFK yesterday morning, arrived in west palm beach at noon. A few bumps on the flight, thats all. Staying down here for 10 days, so i dont give a **** if my power goes out. They'll have it fixed by the time i'm home anyway.

I hope you guys upnorth fare OK!

BTW, 18 holes at the Palm course in 3 1/2 hrs!!!
    Shot a 91.
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Not too bad here yet. Light steady rain with winds only about 15-20mph. The eye isn't really going to pass too close to Richmond, but they are still calling for 30-40mph winds and 3-6" of rain. We still have most of the leaves on the trees around here, but I don't think its going to be that bad.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

I live right on the beach...and I'm staying. If water gets into the gas lines, the generator won't work. And even if the generator works, cable will probably go out.

Without cable, who cares about getting washed away? I'm already too old for this ****.

I watched the 3 foot tsunami waves roll into Hawaii live on TV last night. Riveting viewing! There is nothing you can do when mother nature unleashes her awesome power. Luckily for the residents who were evacuated in the middle of the night we have geniuses in the weather bureau and the media that can forecast these events and warn people to get out of harms way.

I hope, like the tsunami, this big storm is just another storm in the weather bureau's teacup. Keep safe guys.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I live right on the beach...and I'm staying. If water gets into the gas lines, the generator won't work. And even if the generator works, cable will probably go out.

Without cable, who cares about getting washed away? I'm already too old for this ****.
    Several years ago I managed to snag one of the rare digital TV converters and antenna from a Best Buy. They were long gone at Walmart and Target. It works OK and at least I can get five or six local TV stations. Better than nothing.

All roads in Delaware state are closed... so, work at home and putt inside on carpet

All roads in Delaware state are closed... so, work at home and putt inside on carpet
    Roads still open in your neighbor to the south. My employer announced on TV early this AM that Liberal Leave Policy is in effect. Since I am not a liberal, I figured I had to get to work. Wind is gusting. To maybe 18. Nasty little drizzle typical of hurricane/typhoon fringes. I have to walk about 1/2 mile from my parking garage to the office building. My khaki slacks got wet from my knees on down during the walk. Hope you keep your electricity up there, PKY.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Roads still open in your neighbor to the south. My employer announced on TV early this AM that Liberal Leave Policy is in effect. Since I am not a liberal, I figured I had to get to work. Wind is gusting. To maybe 18. Nasty little drizzle typical of hurricane/typhoon fringes. I have to walk about 1/2 mile from my parking garage to the office building. My khaki slacks got wet from my knees on down during the walk. Hope you keep your electricity up there, PKY.
    Thanks Mongrel... I think they wanted to make sure that all roads in DE are clear for emergency vehicles only

Thanks Mongrel... I think they wanted to make sure that all roads in DE are clear for emergency vehicles only
    It looks as though this thing's comijng ashore centered in NJ but it's so large it may have pretty wideshpread impact. The media is reporting 85mph winds so there's a chance they're over 50. Later today it's expected to hit NYC where the thought is the massive size and strength will push a 10 foot storm surge by cleaning out both the southern approach and the LI sound of water at about the same time.

First the Yankees imploding, getting swept and now this.

They're also careful to point out they've never seen a storm like this ever, that its combining with a powerful front and the jet stream will makes it capable of sustaining carnage all the way through Ohio.

Bulls.hit, there's no way it's stopping in Ohio. Like pretty much everything traveling west, it isn't stopping until it reaches California. We've always hoped for reverse surf and this could be it.

The Weather Channel had the American model overlaid with the European model for tracking Sandy's projected path. Of course the American model had the eye directly over Midtown Manhattan, while the Euro model had it missing NYC altogether.
    This is a classic boy who cried wolf scenario. The media was so desperate to drum up a story about last year's NY "hurricane" and people actually evacuated and freaked out to the level dictated by the media. Now, this mofo might be a category 5 and people will be sticking it out.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

It looks as though this thing's comijng ashore centered in NJ but it's so large it may have pretty wideshpread impact. The media is reporting 85mph winds so there's a chance they're over 50. Later today it's expected to hit NYC where the thought is the massive size and strength will push a 10 foot storm surge by cleaning out both the southern approach and the LI sound of water at about the same time.

First the Yankees imploding, getting swept and now this.

They're also careful to point out they've never seen a storm like this ever, that its combining with a powerful front and the jet stream will makes it capable of sustaining carnage all the way through Ohio.

Bulls.hit, there's no way it's stopping in Ohio. Like pretty much everything traveling west, it isn't stopping until it reaches California. We've always hoped for reverse surf and this could be it.
    I heard parts of the Great Lakes will be getting 20'-30' waves.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

No more mutiny on HMS Bounty

Replica of HMS Bounty sunk by hurricane Sandy, 2 missing at sea:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ane-sandy.html

What a shame.

Also, for anyone interested, here's a link to a live HD webcam w/sound mounted on the torch of the Statue Of Liberty looking toward Manhattan:

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...cam=liberty_hd

Nasty business going on out there right now. To all of you in harm's way right now, stay safe out there. Watch out for flying debris and toppling trees.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist View Post
    I heard parts of the Great Lakes will be getting 20'-30' waves.
    The national news' weather on TV will be replaced by an airing of The Day After Tomorrow. Look out NYC, there are going to be timber wolves running wild!
    I personally believe that this is just a runup to the end of the world on 12/21/2012. The first domino so to speak.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    The national news' weather on TV will be replaced by an airing of The Day After Tomorrow. Look out NYC, there are going to be timber wolves running wild!
    I personally believe that this is just a runup to the end of the world on 12/21/2012. The first domino so to speak.
    They say the masses will head south when the SHTF. I will be heading north up to FON's house.

The storm's winds are strengthening beyond what was predicted. The hot cold air mass differential taking place has supposedly not been observed by forecasters or their predecessors. So there's a lot of guessing right now about what to expect. Conventionally a tropics generated storm weakens over colder water. But that's without additional energy sources.

Sustained winds at 90mph and gusts to 115 already exceed media predictions and Sandy, the western front and the jet stream are just beginning to meet. This looks bad. I blame it on the TV show Jersey Shore. Our Lord probably figured something needed to be done. I just wish God was more of a sharpshooter. When he goes after the Kardashians I shouldn't have to repair earthquake damage.

They say the masses will head south when the SHTF. I will be heading north up to FON's house.
    The smartest direction is almost always uphill from where you are. Remember the Universal Axion: "Sh*t always runs downhill."

I suppose I'll have to add another room on to the igloo. That's really going to cut into my indoor skating rink though.

In all seriousness, the way weather patterns have been changing during the last 2 decades we soon won't be any better off than where you are. The first 25 years of my life we never got hit by a single hurricane, and only a handful of tropical storms. In the last decade we've been hit by two hurricanes and more tropical storms than I can remember.

Halifax was the sunshine capital of Canada for a long time during my youth, summers were just pure sunshine for weeks at a time. Now we're the new "Wet Coast". Last winter we barely had any snow on the ground at all, the worst of it all but vanished in less than a week. We're North America's tailpipe. It seems like every weather system on the continent ends up hitting us now.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Just talked to my ex mother in law who lives in Sudlersville MD which is right next to the Delaware border. Lot of rain so far and roads were starting to flood but other than that all is well. I used to live there for a few years also. Birthplace of Jimmy Foxx.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Alangbaker also has some spare space in his moms garage. If things get rough in RSF Larry could always head up there.

Now where the f#ck am I?

looks like about a third of the delmarva lost power already according to the power company's map
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

All is well in Eastern NC, moderate winds, 30-40mph yesterday, breezy but calmer today. No loss of power in my area. Good luck northeast folks. If we could only confine and concentrate the damage to just New Jersey.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

I have to admit, I'm morbidly curious to see what develops with this hurricane. That's the strange thing about disasters. We feel bad for the people affected but at the same time we want to see some amazing video footage like houses being washed out to sea or some guy holding on for dear life to a parking meter while the 150 MPH torrent of wind has caused his body to go horizontal.

I guess that's the questions that should be asked: Do we watch the news because we care or do we just want to see some devastation?

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I have to admit, I'm morbidly curious to see what develops with this hurricane. That's the strange thing about disasters. We feel bad for the people affected but at the same time we want to see some amazing video footage like houses being washed out to sea or some guy holding on for dear life to a parking meter while the 150 MPH torrent of wind has caused his body to go horizontal.

I guess that's the questions that should be asked: Do we watch the news because we care or do we just want to see some devastation?
    It's both. I know too many people affected to not care. At the same time this is an unprecedented weather phenomenon we may never see again, assuming the cause isn't related to some overall climactic trend.

I think everyone out here who pays homeowner's insurance will care when they get their next bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer View Post
    All is well in Eastern NC, moderate winds, 30-40mph yesterday, breezy but calmer today. No loss of power in my area. Good luck northeast folks. If we could only confine and concentrate the damage to just New Jersey.
    You guys deserve some peaceful weather. I remember years ago driving my son to his summer camp just opposite MCAS Cherry Point across the Sound. We went through miles and miles of hurricane devastation before and after New Bern.
    Last edited by mongrel; 10-29-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typo dong II

The disaster difference between the east and west coasts is that the ones on the east coast typically take hours, if not days, to develope. West coast disasters are usually earthquakes and mudslides. I've never been in a California quake that lasted longer than 60 seconds and have seen those mudslides that don't take too long either.

I'm officially on generator power now, but I've still got cable.

No damage yet, except perhaps for beach erosion, but the worst hasn't hit yet.

Who needs this ****?

I'm officially on generator power now, but I've still got cable.

No damage yet, except perhaps for beach erosion, but the worst hasn't hit yet.

Who needs this ****?
    Can you and others affected post photos?

What? Nifty is an old man. Of course he doesn't know how to post photos.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

What? Nifty is an old man. Of course he doesn't know how to post photos.
    Nifty, this can't be true. You may need to register for a free Photobucket account or the like and post a link to that, since the forum's software is pathetic. I still managed to get shots to Kiwi.

We'll help you though it. You could actually make some serious coin with some good shots.

They're reporting the storm has achieved the lowest pressure ever observed. Amazing. This in some ways makes typical hurricanes mild in comparison. They're saying it could sit over land for days without dissipating much because it's source of power is greater than for a hurricane.

Nifty, this can't be true. You may need to register for a free Photobucket, or the like, account or the like and post a link to that, since the forum's software is pathetic.

We'll help you though it. You could actually make some serious coin with some good shots.

They're reporting the storm has achieved the lowest pressure ever observed. Amazing.
    I see you've gone all in on this media extravaganza that is hurricane Sandy. Has the movie Argo taught you nothing? It's an awesome film that debunks movie tough guys like Norris and Seagal.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Even if I were up for digging through the attic, which may or may not fly away, do they still make film for old Leicas, Nikons, and Hasselblads? Or any film camera at all?

If you think that I'm going out in that mess for cell phone pictures, forget it. Stuff is flying around. Not cars or anything big like that--but stuff enough just the same.

You guys want some photos, check these out:

Sea Isle NJ

Lynn Beach, Mass

Atlantic City, NJ a couple hours ago (soon to be renamed Atlantis)

This thing is still an hour or so from making landfall. This is shaping up to be the disaster of the decade. Clean up in the aftermath is going to take months. Some places are expected to be without power for 4-6 weeks. This is insane.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

None of the photos look that bad. A little street flooding is all. Looks like one of the lights is still on in the bar. Shoot, I've played golf in worse weather than that.

Yeah, with the typical over-dramatization of potential disasters, I'm not sure people realize what can happen with this. It's not a hurricane or a northeaster, it's something else so noone really knows what to expect but it looks like it could be devastating.
    I think it's Earth's version of Jupiter's Great Red Spot.

A couple more pics:

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature View Post
    I think it's Earth's version of Jupiter's Great Red Spot.

A couple more pics:

FON
    I've seen that film. More than I like to admit. My wife likes it a lot and every time it comes on cable, she is watching it. It was Al Gore's tour de force. Now I'm waiting for the temperatures to drop from the 40's to about -25 and I'll put on my "Sore Loserman" tee shirt from the pre-2000 national election.

I've seen that film. More than I like to admit. My wife likes it a lot and every time it comes on cable, she is watching it. It was Al Gore's tour de force. Now I'm waiting for the temperatures to drop from the 40's to about -25 and I'll put on my "Sore Loserman" tee shirt from the pre-2000 national election.
    This hurricane and how it's being handled is clear evidence of why Obama should not be in office.

I don't know why everyone is freaking out about this hurricane.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

The thing everyone forgets is that it's just water. It will eventually recede. Seriously, this is so stupid. This is just like every other hurricane where the media shows photos of the coastline and a bunch of waves hitting the beach. Sure, some areas are flooded but it's definitely not any different than anything I've seen before. The big news right now is the story of a big crane in NYC that fell over. Say it isn't so!!

Look, short of a tidal wave hitting NYC I won't be watching the news in lieu of Judge Judy, Jeopardy or Axe Men.
    Last edited by famousdavis; 10-29-2012 at 02:26 PM.

TIme for a confession. I'm in a business that stands to benefit if coastal facilities in the east are damaged or destroyed. I don't want that to happen but I admit when I first saw the photo it got my hopes up. Now I feel guilty.

TIme for a confession. I'm in a business that stands to benefit if coastal facilities in the east are damaged or destroyed. I don't want that to happen but I admit when I first saw the photo it got my hopes up. Now I feel guilty.
    Ah. Just to venture a guess or two....perhaps commercial real estate consisting of warehousing/distribution facilites....shopping centers.....office buildings.....cloud centers....narcotics distribution....

Oh, and my barometer in my basement den/office/club workshop/music studio a.k.a. HVAC room has hit the lowest pressure I've ever seen on it. Just a tick above 28". Man is dat some low pressure mutha of a storm.

Ah. Just to venture a guess or two....perhaps commercial real estate consisting of warehousing/distribution facilites....shopping centers.....office buildings.....cloud centers....narcotics distribution....
    Today I invested $200K in a firm specializing in bloated body extraction. They focus their efforts on dam breaks, levy breaks and, of course, hurricanes. The simplest explanation is that they go into a flooded city and extract the dead from the craziest of places. Now is the time to dive in (no offense).

What differentiates this company from others is that they are a one-stop shop. They'll shore up the body (again, no offense), notify the loved ones and then provide a wake (again, sorry) or burial at sea, which sometimes is convenient for obvious reasons.

After drowning out the possibility of any other investment, I dove headfirst into this stock. Now it's time to come up for air. I can't wait for the first wave of success.

Today I invested $200K in a firm specializing in bloated body extraction. They focus their efforts on dam breaks, levy breaks and, of course, hurricanes. The simplest explanation is that they go into a flooded city and extract the dead from the craziest of places. Now is the time to dive in (no offense).

What differentiates this company from others is that they are a one-stop shop. They'll shore up the body (again, no offense), notify the loved ones and then provide a wake (again, sorry) or burial at sea, which sometimes is convenient for obvious reasons.

After drowning out the possibility of any other investment, I dove headfirst into this stock. Now it's time to come up for air. I can't wait for the first wave of success.
    Ticker symbol, please. Also, let us know that you got out at a hefty profit right before the stock crashes and burns.
    I keeps it real.

The common term used by both police and news people for the water-logged deceased you are counting on is "floater." A friend of mine years ago once commented on my then real estate broker of record with "He thinks he walks on water but all he proves is that sh*t floats."

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    Ticker symbol, please. Also, let us know that you got out at a hefty profit right before the stock crashes and burns.
    "FLTR". The hottest thing since Webistics

I PM-d you.

Oh, and my barometer in my basement den/office/club workshop/music studio a.k.a. HVAC room has hit the lowest pressure I've ever seen on it. Just a tick above 28". Man is dat some low pressure mutha of a storm.
    That's just crazy.

The common term used by both police and news people for the water-logged deceased you are counting on is "floater." A friend of mine years ago once commented on my then real estate broker of record with "He thinks he walks on water but all he proves is that sh*t floats."
    Anyone can find and extract a floater. It's the bloated ones found underneath the stairwell that are the most troublesome. Subway patrons drowned in transit are particularly challenging.

Guessing a lot of people will be sharing the homes, shelters, etc. with a lot of gray vemin. Rats!!!!!!
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Well I was very disappointed today; after a sunny day around 62 degrees here in San Francisco the fog rolled in close to evening. Horrible!!

I love the fog but my windshield was dirty and turning it on every 20 seconds was aggravating as I ran out of cleaning fluid on the way home.

Winter is coming and it will get below 50 degrees and that sucks.

45 degrees in the morning is the worst!
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

If you think that I'm going out in that mess for cell phone pictures, forget it. Stuff is flying around. Not cars or anything big like that--but stuff enough just the same.
    Feel my pain!

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day...+USCA0987:1:US

I see you've gone all in on this media extravaganza that is hurricane Sandy. Has the movie Argo taught you nothing? It's an awesome film that debunks movie tough guys like Norris and Seagal.
    You can joke but this thing is a mother. I choose when to be serious it's part of an algorithm. It has me respect Franken/Super/Perfect Storms and dis fake tough guys in movies. You seem to respect fake tough guys and joke about people dying. Seriously, people are dying. Find some compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie View Post
    My weather sucks too! Every day in the 70-s! I can't take much more of this! At least rain or something.

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day...+USCA0573:1:US

You can joke but this thing is a mother. I choose when to be serious it's part of an algorithm. It has me respect Franken/Super/Perfect Storms and dis fake tough guys in movies. You seem to respect fake tough guys and joke about people dying. Seriously, people are dying. Find some compassion.

My weather sucks too! Every day in the 70-s! I can't take much more of this! At least rain or something.

Ouch. That is too hot for me. Anything over 65 degrees or under 50 is insufferable for me. I understand you are used to it, as I am to my weather.

I also hate when the wind hits 10 mph... pain in the ass.

Thanks God we ride thru the storm without any damages (I have not been outside to check yet). Heavy rain and winds started around 4PM yesterday, but nothing that we have not seen before. DE roads are still closed until 4PM today, 10/31. Those who live along the coastal areas are sure suffered from this Sandy girl. We wish them best of luck

It's always good to catch a break. I live right on the beach, but Sandy decided that we were just a little too far to the northeast to bother ****ing and gave us a dismissive peck on the cheek instead.

Some people will need a lot of help, however, and I'm just grateful that O'Bama doesn't have Brownie to do a "great job" as he did with Katrina.
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 10-30-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Ouch. That is too hot for me. Anything over 65 degrees or under 50 is insufferable for me. I understand you are used to it, as I am to my weather.

I also hate when the wind hits 10 mph... pain in the ass.
    Actually kind of agree. I do like SF weather, has a mystical qualilty.

Hey, they're rescuing people in New Jersey. It's sad it took a storm to get them to finally do it.

In case anyone's wondering, it was gay sex that caused this storm.

Pastor's thoughts
    I keeps it real.

Well I was very disappointed today; after a sunny day around 62 degrees here in San Francisco the fog rolled in close to evening. Horrible!!

I love the fog but my windshield was dirty and turning it on every 20 seconds was aggravating as I ran out of cleaning fluid on the way home.

Winter is coming and it will get below 50 degrees and that sucks.

45 degrees in the morning is the worst!
    Hate that windshield hassle. Solved that problem in the early
    1970's when I discovered the miraculous Rainex. Used in on all my windshields and on the Lexan face shields of my motorcycle helmets. Now they make the windshield washer fluid and it works like a champ. One of the best things about Rainex I discovered was that it fills the little sand pits in old windshield glass. I had a 1965 356C that had a badly pitted windshield and didn't want to replace it so I never drove it in the rain or at night. Until I applied Rainex and found out that it filled the sand pits so it was good in rain and also that almost all of the night distortion from the pitting was gone. If you've never tried it, do it and you'll thank me.

Thanks God we ride thru the storm without any damages (I have not been outside to check yet). Heavy rain and winds started around 4PM yesterday, but nothing that we have not seen before. DE roads are still closed until 4PM today, 10/31. Those who live along the coastal areas are sure suffered from this Sandy girl. We wish them best of luck
    We dodged a major bullet. Didn't even lose our electricity for one second. But my employer shut down at 1 pm on Monday and was closed today. Good little free vacation. Too bad it was too wet to go hit balls.

It's both. I know too many people affected to not care. At the same time this is an unprecedented weather phenomenon we may never see again, assuming the cause isn't related to some overall climactic trend.

I think everyone out here who pays homeowner's insurance will care when they get their next bill.
    I've just had my latest bill and it's safe to say the Christchurch earthquake, Brisbane floods and Japanese tsunami have made me care!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Oh man, that's a rare sighting. Natural blonde with no tattoo on the small of her back.
    You were looking at the small of her back?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    You know your getting old when....

Someone should tell that poor girl that her bikini bottoms have crept up her backside.

I'm shocked, dismayed and outraged.

Oh, and there's no way that's California. Looks like Brazil or Mexico.

Have to make sure its flat enough to set my drink on before doggy-styling it.

So far today only west coast posts. Interesting....

So far today only west coast posts. Interesting....
    That's because THE FREAKING FORUM SERVER HAS BEEN DOWN FOR HOURS with intermittent service.

We dodged a major bullet. Didn't even lose our electricity for one second. But my employer shut down at 1 pm on Monday and was closed today. Good little free vacation. Too bad it was too wet to go hit balls.
    My company was closed on Monday because roads in DE were reserved for official vehicles only... The ban was lifted at around 9-10 AM on Tues but my site was closed until 6PM for production. I went out at 11 AM, few started to venture out, banks were quiet, main post office was quiet and opened until 8 PM... Back to work this morning... Too much water for NYC to bear at one time. DE was lucky, except those who live along the coast line.

Counting heads.....that's two. Hopefully others survived. Since we can't admit new members I figured sooner or later members with posting rights would die off. Still hoping for later but the hurristorm and we're overdue for the big one here so it could be sooner.

Well, I just returned to Palm Beach from 4 grueling days playing rounds at Disney. Man those greens were crazy fast. I guess the pros would say they were kinda OK. The great equalizer on the course, for sure.

Been hearing horror stories from my friends back on Long Island. 90% of the island without power. The power company (LIPA) is saying anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks to fully restore everything. I haven't even attempted to call work to see if they are open. I'm on vaca, who gives a f*ck!!

Tomorrow I return, triumphantly, to the clubhouse with tales of Mickey golf. I know our courses compare favorably to those at Disney, should be an interesting comparison.

I hope those of you up north are OK and that you have or soon will have your power restored. Sucks not having lights and refrigeration. We really take that stuff for granted!

Here are some Hurricane trivia questions (you are not allowed to use the internet to find the answers):

Who is the PGA Tour pro who was endorsed by a manufacturer named Hurricane Golf? In 1991 they came out with a line of irons and wedges. I actually tested a set of their blade irons for 18 holes at a course named Haggin Oaks.

Who sang the song "Rock you like a Hurricane"?

What hurricane caused George W. Bush to interrupt his busy schedule and do a once fly over?
    Last edited by famousdavis; 10-31-2012 at 01:44 PM.

That's because THE FREAKING FORUM SERVER HAS BEEN DOWN FOR HOURS with intermittent service.
    THIS.

Server was reporting a "The server is too busy. Please try again later" message to me all day yesterday and earlier today. Seems like whatever was broken has been fixed.

We got a little wind with some strong gusts but mostly just heavy rain here last night and this morning. Nothing special at all really.

It's good to hear everyone checking in. It looked pretty bad for you guys on our local TV and media.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

I managed to survive the driving drizzle, but was almost taken out by a 14mph wind gust. They closed school for 2 days in the Richmond area, but most of the puddling was gone in time for Halloween.

Seriously though, we got nothing here, but the damage in the "New" state coasts looks pretty awful. I can't imagine experiencing that kind of flooding.

I went online today to see what news was floating around out there.

GTFOOH with your hindsight revisionist compassion. The extent of the damage blew away the media slu+s at CNN too. They thought they were overhyping a story for ratings purposes.
    I've got a brother in law in Queens who probably didn't notice the storm through his drug haze. Then the power went out and killed his X Box and microwave.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

GTFOOH with your hindsight revisionist compassion. The extent of the damage blew away the media slu+s at CNN too. They thought they were overhyping a story for ratings purposes.
    I've got a brother in law in Queens who probably didn't notice the storm through his drug haze. Then the power went out and killed his X Box and microwave.
    I don't know, NAG might have a point. I'm really conflicted about what to do tonight. I know that it is highly insensitive for ESPN to be broadcasting the Hurricanes vs Hokies, but I'm thinking about watching anyway. Does this make me a bad person?

BTW, I noticed some houses were giving out candy with peanut and/or milk byproduct ingredients. This is highly insensitive to the allergic kids who have to have most of their stash confiscated at the end of the night.

The server has been down for two days for me. Could not log on at all. Starting to think the whole place was blown away.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    The server has been down for two days for me. Could not log on at all. Starting to think the whole place was blown away.
    It was on and off intermittently over the passed few days which got me thinking. What is GR's emergency plan? What if the whole site goes down one day. Do we have a contingency plan? Do we have a nominated golf forum e.g. WRX or The Sandtrap where we can congregate, take roll call and decide our next move (before we are all inevitably banned).

I know it's hard to think of things like this and we all think "It'll never happen to me!" But we must be prepared and plan for these events BEFORE they happen.

Now where the f#ck am I?

The storm's winds are strengthening beyond what was predicted. The hot cold air mass differential taking place has supposedly not been observed by forecasters or their predecessors. So there's a lot of guessing right now about what to expect. Conventionally a tropics generated storm weakens over colder water. But that's without additional energy sources.

Sustained winds at 90mph and gusts to 115 already exceed media predictions and Sandy, the western front and the jet stream are just beginning to meet. This looks bad.
    I still can't access the Internet from home or office I have to use my phone. Some of us are able to digest media reports and extract the BS from what's real, as my above pre-landfall post shows.

HB, I thought you'd be able to do that. That said, even I know where to draw the line as far as what's appropriate joke fodder. I'm surprised you weren't able to do that.

I don't know, NAG might have a point. I'm really conflicted about what to do tonight. I know that it is highly insensitive for ESPN to be broadcasting the Hurricanes vs Hokies, but I'm thinking about watching anyway. Does this make me a bad person?

BTW, I noticed some houses were giving out candy with peanut and/or milk byproduct ingredients. This is highly insensitive to the allergic kids who have to have most of their stash confiscated at the end of the night.
    No, totally go for it. If they were called the Superstorms or the Huge Storm Of 2012-s then it wouldn't be ok.

I still can't access the Internet from home or office I have to use my phone. Some of us are able to digest media reports and extract the BS from what's real, as my above pre-landfall post shows.

HB, I thought you'd be able to do that. That said, even I know where to draw the line as far as what's appropriate joke fodder. I'm surprised you weren't able to do that.
    No, I refuse to back down from my indefensible position. It's the GR way.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

No, I refuse to back down from my indefensible position. It's the GR way.
    Fine, it's your conscience.

Fine, it's your conscience.
    Damn right. I don't need you or the government trying to make me feel guilty. Guilt trips are the realm of women and spineless men. I'm not calling you spineless, just making a general point.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I would just like to express gratitude that all of you and your loved ones seem to have made it through the storm safely. It's nice to know at times prayers for those you care about do not go unanswered. Yes, we joke here a lot but the vast majority do have compassion.

Those who don't even today blame their guilt on others.

It was on and off intermittently over the passed few days which got me thinking. What is GR's emergency plan? What if the whole site goes down one day. Do we have a contingency plan? Do we have a nominated golf forum e.g. WRX or The Sandtrap where we can congregate, take roll call and decide our next move (before we are all inevitably banned).

I know it's hard to think of things like this and we all think "It'll never happen to me!" But we must be prepared and plan for these events BEFORE they happen.
    That thought entered my mind as well. I don't think it's going to be anything as dramatic as rainstorm Sandy, but I do think that one day GR is going to be offline, never to return. Like that show Revolution where the power goes off forever for no reason.
    Which forum is "The Animal House of golf forums?" That should be the contingency plan.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

If it happens, I'll start a thread at Literotica in the How To Forum and we can regroup.

Thread Information